Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:46 am 

booze wrote:
should long held religous beliefs change just because society has changed?

While I dont think it is smart for him to engage with social media he is entitled to his religous beliefs. Is it because we, as a primarily godless society, dont agree?

The commonwealth games were held in Australian and being gay in a lot of countries is illegal. This was highlightes by Tom daley. Why go after Folau and not the countires. why invite them to the games, why host them in the first place?

What pull has rugby Australia got over who can attend the Commonwealth games? What pull do people calling out Folau for being a bigot when he's being a bigot have over the Commonwealth games?

Also, his idiotic beliefs can stay the same, as part of living in this godless society, where he can hold those idiotic beliefs, he'll get called out on them (especially when he uses twitter to promote them).

towny wrote:

Agree with all of this.

However, you do have to respect his right to free speech. He didn't say he hates gay people. He didn't say they should be discriminated against. He just said that he thinks it's wrong and that his sky fairy is going to cast them into an imaginary pit of fire for eternity.

Unless he's correct, no one should give a frog's fat arse about this.

(edit - he actually did say they should be discriminated against. Bigoted plum.)

I think you need to read back through the thread, it's pretty much agreed by everyone that he can say what he wants, but then he's fair game for everyone to put the boot in ... and it amazes me how may people argue for his free speech while telling others to leave poor Izzy alone (not saying you, just general observation).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:10 am 

They are mates with Brian Tamaki. For those outside of NZ, he is a cult leader for some Christian sect that effectively rips off the disadvantaged. Meanwhile he of course has a huge mansion and preaches hate.

Very dissapointed to see Folau and his wife being involved. He is now officially the biggest plum in the game.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:41 am 

This reminds me of the don't ask/don't tell policies affecting "the gays" in previous times. Now it is the religious who are required don't ask/don't tell

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the pitch forks out for players who have liked his posts on this subject

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 am 

_fatprop wrote:
This reminds me of the don't ask/don't tell policies affecting "the gays" in previous times. Now it is the religious who are required don't ask/don't tell

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the pitch forks out for players who have liked his posts on this subject

Except for the fact that the gay people "not telling" others about their sexual orientation weren't using religious doctrine to mask their bigotry.

Frankly, in this day and age, if someone uses their stone age beliefs to denigrate gay people then they deserve everything they get.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 am 

Thomas wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Except for the fact that the gay people "not telling" others about their sexual orientation weren't using religious doctrine to mask their bigotry.

Frankly, in this day and age, if someone uses their stone age beliefs to denigrate gay people then they deserve everything they get.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:59 am 

True Blue wrote:
They are mates with Brian Tamaki.

That says it all. There are no words.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 am 

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby/news/israel-folau-trolled-on-twitter-after-sharing-religious-video/1403iuqgaib8t1s9fp1hns5ixc

Our very own Thomas made it into the selected tweets back at Izzy.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

:shock: :o

:lol: :lol: :thumbup: good work Thomas :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

:lol:

Not the first time those guys have nabbed a tweet of mine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket/news/australian-fans-are-desperate-for-kevin-pietersen-to-go-home/9k9rugmmvbg71vaz81wg99ll0

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:33 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

:lol: nice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:51 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Thomas wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

+ heaps. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:54 am 

On a slightly different note

How much of a deadweight is Drew Mitchell on ‘Kick and Chase’?

He’s so close to the players that his opinions on anything amount to kissin-ass

I note on the Folau thing they now barely allow him time to start with his ‘Israel is a great guy..’ waffle before just cutting him off.

This show is a barely watchable suckup-fest as it is, without this softcock making it worse.

PS: I can’t wait for next week’s show. Tahs go down by 10 tries and Drew will be suggesting they just ‘need to believe in their structures’.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am 

shanky wrote:

Yep. Haven't watched that shit since I canned my Foxtel last year. But Smoo had made his 'dayboo' before then and it was obvious from the start that he was a waste of space.

I just mean as a commentator, obviously.

Otherwise, he seems like a decent enough bloke. But a lot of players are f**ken useless pundits so he's not alone on that count.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 am 

Clyde has a good dig....

https://twitter.com/ClydeRathbone/statu ... ite=theage

Quote:
Clyde Rathbone
@ClydeRathbone

It has become painfully clear that Australia's best rugby player is a religious lunatic bent on self-immolation. As the ARU thumb through their 'Inclusion 'Policy' they would do well to heed @Ayaan's insight that “Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.”

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 am 

kiap wrote:
shanky wrote:

Yep. Haven't watched that shit since I canned my Foxtel last year. But Smoo had made his 'dayboo' before then and it was obvious from the start that he was a waste of space.

I just mean as a commentator, obviously.

Otherwise, he seems like a decent enough bloke. But a lot of players are f**ken useless pundits so he's not alone on that count.

I’m sure he’s a lovely bloke.

The show is toilet though, if you’re after anything resembling discussion or analysis.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 am 

Clear rimming attempt by 15 Yellow on 11 Red; penalty and sinbin.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 am 

shanky wrote:

I note on the Folau thing they now barely allow him time to start with his ‘Israel is a great guy..’ waffle before just cutting him off.

This show is a barely watchable suckup-fest as it is, without this softcock making it worse.

PS: I can’t wait for next week’s show. Tahs go down by 10 tries and Drew will be suggesting they just ‘need to believe in their structures’.

Waste of time mitchell, just like the show. Needs to be based more like 360.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:12 am 

Jake wrote:

Shirley you mean penalty: immolation in fire for eternity, red and sinbin.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 pm 

koroke hangareka wrote:
Jake wrote:

Shirley you mean penalty: immolation in fire for eternity, red and sinbin.

Not if he repents in time

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:21 am 

I don't think continuing to retain Israel Folau is sustainable for Rugby Australia. He's a raving lunatic. He's worth almost nothing to them now in terms of marketing, could he ever spearhead an advertising campaign given his outspoken homophobia and bigotry?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 am 

Without Folau, the publicity that rugby gets in Australia will be down to zero, if not less than that (if that is possible).

Without Folau, the Wobbs have no chance of beating any of the top teams.

That is the awful truth. By the way, it was David Gallop who said that whenever there was an atrocity in the NRL, public interest, by all measures, went up.

There is something worse than bad publicity, in commercial terms: no publicity.

I am glad that it is not my decision. Because either way, we are farked.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:42 am 

I'm sure somebody (maybe even me) has mentioned it on this thread, but has anyone directed the Bible basher towards Leviticus' views on tattoos?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:52 am 

happyhooker wrote:
I'm sure somebody (maybe even me) has mentioned it on this thread, but has anyone directed the Bible basher towards Leviticus' views on tattoos?

i did on his instagram, he blocked me..he is your typical Christian ..

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:15 am 

By the way. It sounds to me as though Izzy has been captured by a sect. If that is true, and he is certainly behaving as though it could be, he needs help.

If I were in a position of authority, I would have a heart to heart with him, and I would include a well respected mainstream Christian figure, ideally somebody who is well known in the sport.

I would suggest to Izzy that his views are important to him, but that continuing to talk in the terms that he is using does nothing to evangelise, all it does is satisfy people who already think like him.

Jesus did not set out to scare, or vilify, people. His words are words of love and inclusion, not the absolute opposite.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:36 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
If I were in a position of authority, I would have a heart to heart with him, and I would include a well respected mainstream Christian figure, ideally somebody who is well known in the sport.

Considered words, Wambers.. in relation to this point,

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/05/10/t ... criticism/

Quote:
A member of the Tonga royal family has spoken out against the homophobic views of rugby player Israel Folau.

The Australian rugby union player sparked a backlash in April after writing gay people would go to “hell” unless “they repent their sins and turn to God” on his Instagram page. 

A number of people have criticised Folau for his anti-gay views, including the Honorable Frederica Tuita Filipe, the daughter of Tonga’s Princess Royal. Folau is Tongan by descent.

“Obviously the way we represent our interpretation of God’s word & love is different,” she wrote on Twitter.

“My silence was my attempt at respecting our different interpretations but I fear by doing that I’m encouraging the marginalisation of a group of people I love & serve as much as any other Tongan.”

“You’ve worked hard to be in a position of leadership, I was born into mine. I’ve seen how forgiveness, love & inclusion bring people closer to God. I hope the trials you face give you the strength to open your heart & mind to differing views,” she added.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:11 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Without Folau, the publicity that rugby gets in Australia will be down to zero, if not less than that (if that is possible).

That is the awful truth. By the way, it was David Gallop who said that whenever there was an atrocity in the NRL, public interest, by all measures, went up.

You're laying it on a bit thick - Oz rugby will survive fine without him.

If he carries on like this he's going to be so disruptive his teammates wont want to play with him.

shanky wrote:

I watched this weeks episode, I quite like it, but I did mention earlier that Mitchell wussed out when it came to Folau, Gregan did a wee bit too, but Cannon showed some balls. Wouldn't mind seeing more game highlights in it though.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:27 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I don't think continuing to retain Israel Folau is sustainable for Rugby Australia. He's a raving lunatic. He's worth almost nothing to them now in terms of marketing, could he ever spearhead an advertising campaign given his outspoken homophobia and bigotry?

If I have a problem with what can only be called a witch hunt, it is that, among other things, there are likely huge swathes of religious people, especially PIs who are predominantly Christian, who share his views but just weren't asked.
Football no doubt would have similar issues with many of their players with middle eastern (muslim) origins.
Religions have some fvckt up beliefs, but I'm inclined to give the actual believers some slack, because almost all of them were infected with the 'disease' by their parents, few arrive there of their own choice.

The same goes for muslims, many of whom support the death penalty for apostasy. Lots are actually good people while holding this abhorrent (to us) belief.
Hate the disease not the victim.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:39 am 

merlin the happy pig wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

If I have a problem with what can only be called a witch hunt, it is that, among other things, there are likely huge swathes of religious people, especially PIs who are predominantly Christian, who share his views but just weren't asked.
Football no doubt would have similar issues with many of their players with middle eastern (muslim) origins.
Religions have some fvckt up beliefs, but I'm inclined to give the actual believers some slack, because almost all of them were infected with the 'disease' by their parents, few arrive there of their own choice.

The same goes for muslims, many of whom support the death penalty for apostasy. Lots are actually good people while holding this abhorrent (to us) belief.

Absolutely.
RA still should be considering their future with Izzy though.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:44 am 

Farva wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Absolutely.

It's hardly a witch hunt, he's being given all the room in the world by his employer to practise his strange ways. That's their dilemma... punish him in any way and they're seen to be persecuting religion.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 am 

wamberal99 wrote:

I disagree that Folau is that important to the game in Australia. He's one of Australia's best players, but no player is indispensable. I understand that this is a difficult issue for Rugby Australia, mainly because they'd probably be taken to the cleaners by a decent employment lawyer if they sacked him for his tweets. But if I was Rugby Australia I would be coming out strongly to condemn his homophobic views. And I wouldn't be offering him a new contract unless he promised to stop his destructive behaviour. He's damaging the game in Australia right now. Every time he tweets his homophobic bile he damages the game. He's gone rogue and no organisation can afford to employ a rogue employee.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Farva wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Absolutely.

It's hardly a witch hunt, he's being given all the room in the world by his employer to practise his strange ways. That's their dilemma... punish him in any way and they're seen to be persecuting religion.

Agree re his employer, it's the twitterati who are baying to sacrifice a heretic.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am 

Agree re his employer, it's the twitterati who are baying to sacrifice a heretic.

ah.. yeah, well that'll happen.

I don't participate. Have a profile set up to check in on a few twatters but I hardly use it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:10 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
They'd probably be taken to the cleaners by a decent employment lawyer if they sacked him for his tweets.

Don't know Aussie employment law but here there's clear grounds for starting the firing process. Verbal warning for the first tweet (diversity being a high-profile strategy of his employer), required to complete diversity training, written warning for the second post.

He seems so self-absorbed and mentalist that he'd probably suicide-by-mod sometime during that process so you'd be free and clear.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Folau found this type of religion as an adult. Furthermore, he's using public media to push his beliefs when he knows it's not good for the game, especially in Oz. Posting the video was basically him saying fudge you to his employers, that's fuckwittery of the highest order.

Michael Jones is a prominent god squad who told him to pull his head in, so no, not all PIs and religious people hold his abhorrent views.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 am 

When all is said and done, and freedom of speech is accepted and all of that, one thing above all pisses me off.

He did the Bingham Cup Photo Shoot, took the money and somehow was comfortable in himself with that.

That's just wanton hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Folau found this type of religion as an adult. Furthermore, he's using public media to push his beliefs when he knows it's not good for the game, especially in Oz. Posting the video was basically him saying fudge you to his employers, that's fuckwittery of the highest order.

Michael Jones is a prominent god squad who told him to pull his head in, so no, not all PIs and religious people hold his abhorrent views.

Don't believe I said all PIs share his views. would be a pretty stupid thing to say given there are hundreds of thousands of them.

Wierd though that someone would freely choose religion.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:45 am 

Jake wrote:

He's religious. There is no critical thought there whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:47 am 

J Man wrote:
Jake wrote:

He's religious. There is no critical thought there whatsoever.

What difference does that make?

He took the money from a photoshoot and acted as an ambassador/figurehead for people he believes will burn in hell.

Are you suggesting he did it so he could donate the profits to Napalming-Gays-R-Us?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:11 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Of course they could. RA could be aiming to increase brand awareness in the middle east.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:15 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Of course they could. RA could be aiming to increase brand awareness in the middle east.

RA are ISIS?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next