Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10243
This has been a clusterfuck from day one.

A couple of very obvious issues: ER needs to be disbanded and reorganised. The new board/committee need to put in place a system to make sure this never happens again.

WR need to ensure the above is carried out. No exception


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11723
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Quote:
It's night and day from the 'let's hope a few decent expats come and stay in The Hague for a while' days of yore.


You mean what Belgium and Spain were doing?


Spain has had some quality youth teams for a few years now. A few of those players have progressed to their senior national team but others aren't quite ready for senior level and they also have some problems with player retention as some quality players choose to focus on their studies/careers over rugby. Their 2016 U20s came in second in the JWRT and missed promotion to the main event by losing to Samoa in extra time in the final.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Flyin Ryan wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
piquant wrote:
I'd also add this isn't going to end rugby in Romania or Spain, though it will hamper/delay progression of the game in both countries, just if rugby in Romania can for instance survive the collapse of he Soviet Union it can survive this. There is in the short term the chance for WR to confirm no matter both countries have failed to qualify for the RWC given both might have expected to do so then no matter they miss out WR will ensure they received central payments equivalent to what they would have received had they gone to Japan, it's a lot of money to Spain and Romania, and it's not that much to WR



Also, as I've argued, with so many countries battling it out for places and seemingly small decisions being the difference between them all, but the finances can make a big difference, it's time for World Rugby to consider expanding the RWC. It's obvious after Japan that we will have a number of new Rugby countries attacking old powers with the likes of Russia, Germany, Spain, The Neatherlands, Brazil all ready to kick-on or will be ready soon in the right environment and Samoa, Canada, Romania all potentially struggling right now and the likes of Uruguay vulnerable if they don't qualify.


Not sure how you make the leap from national unions cheating to we must expand the World Cup, but whatever.


Not cheating but the fact there are so many bating for one space so closely.

Quote:

My main issue with expanding to 24 as I've said before is the first month of the tournament would be entirely skippable for everyone except diehards.


How's it different to now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14214
Location: Tahstown
Hong Kong wrote:
This has been a clusterfuck from day one.

A couple of very obvious issues: ER needs to be disbanded and reorganised. The new board/committee need to put in place a system to make sure this never happens again.

WR need to ensure the above is carried out. No exception

ER WE RA all complete bunch of self serving gin guzzlers that hold the game back


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13680
Location: XPAT CUNT
grievous wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
This has been a clusterfuck from day one.

A couple of very obvious issues: ER needs to be disbanded and reorganised. The new board/committee need to put in place a system to make sure this never happens again.

WR need to ensure the above is carried out. No exception

ER WE RA all complete bunch of self serving gin guzzlers that hold the game back


Blazers and Alicadoos on the gravy train.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14214
Location: Tahstown
eldanielfire wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
piquant wrote:
I'd also add this isn't going to end rugby in Romania or Spain, though it will hamper/delay progression of the game in both countries, just if rugby in Romania can for instance survive the collapse of he Soviet Union it can survive this. There is in the short term the chance for WR to confirm no matter both countries have failed to qualify for the RWC given both might have expected to do so then no matter they miss out WR will ensure they received central payments equivalent to what they would have received had they gone to Japan, it's a lot of money to Spain and Romania, and it's not that much to WR



Also, as I've argued, with so many countries battling it out for places and seemingly small decisions being the difference between them all, but the finances can make a big difference, it's time for World Rugby to consider expanding the RWC. It's obvious after Japan that we will have a number of new Rugby countries attacking old powers with the likes of Russia, Germany, Spain, The Neatherlands, Brazil all ready to kick-on or will be ready soon in the right environment and Samoa, Canada, Romania all potentially struggling right now and the likes of Uruguay vulnerable if they don't qualify.


Not sure how you make the leap from national unions cheating to we must expand the World Cup, but whatever.


Not cheating but the fact there are so many bating for one space so closely.

Quote:

My main issue with expanding to 24 as I've said before is the first month of the tournament would be entirely skippable for everyone except diehards.


How's it different to now?

Have you watched any of the last few world cups? And by your admission thete adding these teams would not improve the tournament.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11723
grievous wrote:
Have you watched any of the last few world cups? And by your admission thete adding these teams would not improve the tournament.


What you're missing is that the current format of the RWC basically forces T2 (and T1 to a lesser extent, but they have more depth anyway) teams to either field 2nd string teams or play first choice players on short rest which reduces performance and is potentially a player welfare issue. The worst game of the tournament last time was USA vs South Africa. USA fielded an almost complete 2nd string side to face the Boks in order to save their first choice for Japan 4 days later. Do you think teams 21-24 are really that much worse than the 2nd string teams of the bottom end teams? Japan actually made a huge mistake in fielding their first string team against the Boks, one that others in the future probably won't make, and the RWC will be worse for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
grievous wrote:
Have you watched any of the last few world cups? And by your admission thete adding these teams would not improve the tournament.


I think it would. The same excuses about how shit expansion was supposed to be were given about Euro 2016 and they fell by the wayside when the tournament ended up as one of the best. The Tier 2 level of the tournament would certainly improve. More groups, a round of 16 fewer group games and more unexpected results from tier 2 vs tier 2 nations. the format also leads to fewer obvious and one sided scorelines.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bert, bimboman, Boxcar Ira, camroc1, CarrotGawks, dinsdale, EverReady, jezzer, kerrandy, Leinster in London, Liathroidigloine, Nolanator, Olo, Plastic Sarrie, Plato'sCave, PornDog, Risteard, Santa, Sards, Still Playing, umbrella, unseenwork, WoodlandsRFC, Zakar, ZappaMan, Zico and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group