Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microsoft Power BI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am 

Been told this is a true game changer and have demos on its way to show what it can do.

So IT geeks and others in the know, what are your thoughts and who has been using it, has it the potential to be all it is cracked up to be?

Post subject: Re: Microsoft Power BI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am 

A Power Bi? Is that like a power bottom?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Zakar wrote:

A schlong like a jackhammer; a date like a dyson.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 pm 

They are improving it fast, someone can come in from scratch and get 90% of the way there. which is leaps and bounds over previous BI tools. But then you need help and some professional is going to rebuild what ever you did anyway.

The native language query looks cool but in practice wasn't that helpful on the data sets I use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm 

The power depends purely on your data quality. If your sources are well formed, consistent in schema, etc then it’s a handy look at your data patterns, if not then it’s garbage in garbage out. What data retrieval you interrogating? what format? Row count?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm 

For a product designed to show aggregated,sliced, and diced data, in the world of big data it apparently does not scale up to largish datasets very well I’ve been told.

But in general it’s not a bad way to make a bunch of pretty bar charts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
The power depends purely on your data quality. If your sources are well formed, consistent in schema, etc then it’s a handy look at your data patterns, if not then it’s garbage in garbage out. What data retrieval you interrogating? what format? Row count?

It's to layer it above our new ERP system which we put in a year ago.

The ERP system's reporting tools are crap and this looks like a handy solution to pull the data out easier and in a much sexier way.

We have been using Qlikview to get around this until now but ive been given the pitch by someone without a vested interest that this Microsoft tool is the future yada yada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:02 pm 

Been using it for about 2.5 years now. Main benefits that I found was it's incredibly easy to combine separate data sources, very easy to distribute the end reports and the end users found it very flexible and easy to use. The same could be said of Tableau to be fair.

Compared to Tableau it's quite cheap and the dev team are cranking out new features very very quickly. It's at the stage where Power BI has eaten up Tableau's initial advantage and is starting to surpass it in certain areas. Compared to other options like Qlik, I like the fact that you can do extremely complex queries using the advanced editor and there's a desktop editor. The web based options aren't really worth a shite if your working with complex data sets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

The ERP system's reporting tools are crap and this looks like a handy solution to pull the data out easier and in a much sexier way.

We have been using Qlikview to get around this until now but ive been given the pitch by someone without a vested interest that this Microsoft tool is the future yada yada

We're a big MS reseller and have pretty much ignored PowerBI - as with you we've gone done the QlikView route and are heavily invested in it.

The real value of PowerBI based on the MS pitches I've seen is more about it's native integration into O365 and what it can ultimately tell you about your workforce, optimisation, etc. But that relies on your organisation fully buying into 365

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm 

Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

We're a big MS reseller and have pretty much ignored PowerBI - as with you we've gone done the QlikView route and are heavily invested in it.

The real value of PowerBI based on the MS pitches I've seen is more about it's native integration into O365 and what it can ultimately tell you about your workforce, optimisation, etc. But that relies on your organisation fully buying into 365

My biggest reason from switching from Qlik is that i believe there are going to be a lot more PowerBI geeks kicking about in the long run as getting good Qlik people is a ballache, that and the cash that Microsoft will throw at this as they seem to be getting some serious traction with this makes this seem like the long term bet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm 

Is this Microsoft's SAP Hana moment?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

My biggest reason from switching from Qlik is that i believe there are going to be a lot more PowerBI geeks kicking about in the long run as getting good Qlik people is a ballache, that and the cash that Microsoft will throw at this as they seem to be getting some serious traction with this makes this seem like the long term bet.

I'm not sure it;s that simple - certainly, MS are going to throw lots of money at this but that doesn;t make it a sure fire bet. I'm also not convinced that there will be that many more BI geeks than there will be Qlik or anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
For a product designed to show aggregated,sliced, and diced data, in the world of big data it apparently does not scale up to largish datasets very well I’ve been told.

But in general it’s not a bad way to make a bunch of pretty bar charts.

Yes, large data, struggles, big data,no way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

The proper geeks use BIDS (SSAS, SAIS, SSRS) or anaconda with R or Python. Power BI is power user category

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

The proper geeks use BIDS (SSAS, SAIS, SSRS) or anaconda with R or Python. Power BI is power user category

Meh, you're all geeks to me. I just want flashy reports that someone else has created that makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm 

it is quite good for generating nice looking interactive graphs and tables. still doesn't have a pivot table equivalent, and other tools like qlikview provide more control over formatting. in most cases you will still need some process to extract and clean data from your systems before it is used in PowerBI.

also, won't provide any real analytical insights on its own. it's just a tool for summarizing / filtering data ultimately!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm 

brero wrote:
it is quite good for generating nice looking interactive graphs and tables. still doesn't have a pivot table equivalent, and other tools like qlikview provide more control over formatting. in most cases you will still need some process to extract and clean data from your systems before it is used in PowerBI.

also, won't provide any real analytical insights on its own. it's just a tool for summarizing / filtering data ultimately!

Thanks, best post yet :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:16 pm 

MungoMan wrote:
Zakar wrote:

I feel our bantz were ruined by a bunch of geeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 am 

Zakar wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Zakar wrote:

I feel our bantz were ruined by a bunch of geeks.

God damn you ASD!!! :x :x :x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm 

Its primarily a visualization tool. You won't be pulling data out of your ERP system as such which you probably do for Qlik. Query your biggest dataset at the lowest granularity your users will need and see how it performs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 pm 

Frodder wrote:
Is this Microsoft's SAP Hana moment?

Nope, HANA is a database (or a Platform as SAP say) whereas Power BI is a visualization tool primarily.

Btw SAP HANA runs on Microsoft's Cloud (Azure) which Microsoft hopes will be a massive growth area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Been told this is a true game changer and have demos on its way to show what it can do.

So IT geeks and others in the know, what are your thoughts and who has been using it, has it the potential to be all it is cracked up to be?

Tableau for the win!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:15 pm 

imo

Tableau>>PowerBI>>>>>>>>>>>>Qlik

Think Gartner (for what it's worth) agrees with me too

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 pm 

The tool you choose depends on your task. Otherwise it’s like asking if a saw is better then a screwdriver. Some data tasks are best on datazen, some on powerview some on SSRS some on anaconda. Depends on the normalisation level, row count, etc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm 

polyallstar wrote:
imo

Actually Microsoft moved ahead of Tableau in the 2018 Gartner Quadrant for Analytics. I wouldn't put much stock in that though, the criteria for their quadrant is very specific.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm 

I am just here to pick up some buzzwords I might want to use in a meeting to make it sound like I know what I am doing, please continue geeks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:08 pm 

sewa wrote:
I am just here to pick up some buzzwords I might want to use in a meeting to make it sound like I know what I am doing, please continue geeks

Blockchain, Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics, Internet of Things.

Off you go now and set up a new company, see if 'Compu Global Hyper Mega Net' is available as a company name.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm 

eevyl wrote:
polyallstar wrote:
imo

Actually Microsoft moved ahead of Tableau in the 2018 Gartner Quadrant for Analytics. I wouldn't put much stock in that though, the criteria for their quadrant is very specific.

If it's typical Gartner, the criteria really boils down to "which vendor has given us the most cash this year?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 pm 

sewa wrote:

My data science industry is full of fückers like you, talking the talk but couldn’t cast a single datetime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
sewa wrote:

My data science industry is full of fückers like you, talking the talk but couldn’t cast a single datetime

Firstly I've not had a date in twenty years, secondly don't you dare talk to your boss like that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

I dont really subscribe to using Anaconda with R, I found it too hard to import libraries not part of the suite.
Just use RStudio and make sure RJava is setup....
For Python I dont think its that bad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am 

sewa wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
sewa wrote:

Firstly I've not had a date in twenty years, secondly don't you dare talk to your boss like that

If you were my boss I could stretch 1 days work out to three months and you’d think I was a genius for doing it in 2 & 1/2 months. :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:48 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
sewa wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
sewa wrote:

If you were my boss I could stretch 1 days work out to three months and you’d think I was a genius for doing it in 2 & 1/2 months. :smug:

Sewa, he's got you there :lol:
Im sure those buzzwords will go well with your corporate jargon....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:55 pm 

Darth_Quinlan wrote:

Sewa, he's got you there :lol:
Im sure those buzzwords will go well with your corporate jargon....

I am sure that once my own bosses saw me reporting three months work done in 2 and 1/2 there would be no issue, everyone wins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 pm 

Anything released by Microsoft since 2008 only half works, either in a Alpha or Beta state.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:37 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:

Don't Microsoft have their own data prep tool yet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

sturginho wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

It's called SQL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
sturginho wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

It's called SQL

Well SQL Server is the warehouse but prepping from external non databases usually happens in SSIS.

Powerful tool. Probably the best integrator if your sources are varied. It’s a programmable drag and drop logic flow enabling things like foreach, SQL containers, C#, VB blah blah etc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am 

The thought of databases makes me limp. Take a good hard look at yourselves; there's nothing of interest here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am 

Bindi wrote:
The thought of databases makes me limp. Take a good hard look at yourselves; there's nothing of interest here.

Clustering algorithm analysis on captured meta data can be used to recommend similar videos you may be interested in.