Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 am 

:lol: :thumbup:

Quote:
When vegan protesters gathered outside Toronto’s Antler Kitchen & Bar on Friday with a banner reading “Murderer” and chants of “you’ve got blood on your hands,” the owner responded by carving a deer leg inside the front window of his restaurant.

The Globe & Mail reports chef and owner Michael Hunter—seriously his name—felt he had to respond to the protesters, who’d shown up at his restaurant a few times before.

“They’re offending us; I’m going to offend them,” he told Globe & Mail. “So I went and got a deer leg.”

Hunter is himself a hunter, but he doesn’t personally kill the wild game he uses at his restaurant. He’s known for making the most of the animal—using as much of it as possible to make terrines, charcuterie, etc.—but won’t apologize for eating and serving meat. Antler does also serve vegetarian dishes, some of it made from foraged ingredients.

According to CTV News, protesters were stunned when Hunter brought out the deer leg.

“We were in shock,” Mari Ugar, an organizer of the protest, told CTV News. “It’s just an animal, and we felt sad. For me, I felt sad for a few days after seeing that.”

Ugar said she became familiar with Antler in December when she noticed a sandwich-board sign outside the restaurant reading: “Venison is the new kale.” She read up on Antler and took issue with the restaurant’s use of the term wild game and the fact that it serves foie gras, which she says is unethical. She decided to create Friday’s protest, obviously not expecting the deer leg carving.

Half an hour after Hunter took the deer back to the kitchen, Ugar told CTV News, he returned to the table and ate a plate of it in front of protesters.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... rotesters/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 am 

:lol:

As an aside, I once tried to carve a deer leg with the bluntest knife in history. Grim business all round really...made a cracking Christmas biryani mind. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

As an aside, I once tried to carve a deer leg with the bluntest knife in history. Grim business all round really...made a cracking Christmas biryani mind. :thumbup:

Jesus without looking I thought this was a globus post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

:lol: for the OP

:lol: :lol: :lol: for you CI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:54 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:08 am 

Quote:
we felt sad. For me, I felt sad for a few days after seeing that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 am 

Good on him, what a bunch of twats those protestors, no one made them stay there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Garish Globus Grime the grim game butcher?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 am 

assfly wrote:
Quote:

Yep, that was a goody. Irony of having hurt feelings, despite publically branding someone a murderer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:56 am 

They’ll probably resort to either fire bombing the restaurant or worse, leaving bad reviews on trip advisor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 am 

Yourmother wrote:
assfly wrote:
Quote:

Yep, that was a goody. Irony of having hurt feelings, despite publically branding someone a murderer.

Bang on. We are back to "hurty feelings" being an actual thing that we should care about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:02 am 

Canada is absolutely chock-a-bloc with Libtard fûcksticks these days. Sad times.

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
They’ll probably resort to either fire bombing the restaurant or worse, leaving bad reviews on trip advisor.

Quote:
Would never go here again. people who like it that much are butt kissers of owners or hunters with their heads up their ...
They are savages and will serve cat and dog if needed. disgusting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 am 

He should start serving traditional stuff like sheep's head, pig's face, trotters, haggis, other types of offal. Some people love such stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:49 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

As in butchered or carved after roasting. I once did an outdoorsy ray mears type thing on a stag do where we successfully butchered an entire roe deer mostly just using our hands. Pretty handy skill as it turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 am 

Brazil wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

As in butchered or carved after roasting. I once did an outdoorsy ray mears type thing on a stag do where we successfully butchered an entire roe deer mostly just using our hands. Pretty handy skill as it turns out.

No knives, sharp stones, sticks etc. ? Wow.

Did that with a few birds, in the veld, but never something as large as a deer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:59 am 

Brazil wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Roasting.. a deer Phew, for a minute I thought I had wandered onto the Olding Jackson thread.

As you were

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 am 

In cadets we caught some rabbits and I was chief animal chopper upper on account of not being sqeumish - but when we ate it, dear god it was rank. I find rabbbit and hare utterly disgusting, like cheesy gone off chicken .

There was this trick I’ve forgotten what the adult sgt showed us but it’s basically make a couple of cuts then pull down hard and hey presto, one skinned rabbit . He could prepare the animal in about two mins flat, entrails and all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 am 

backrow wrote:
In cadets we caught some rabbits and I was chief animal chopper upper on account of not being sqeumish - but when we ate it, dear god it was rank. I find rabbbit and hare utterly disgusting, like cheesy gone off chicken .

There was this trick I’ve forgotten what the adult sgt showed us but it’s basically make a couple of cuts then pull down hard and hey presto, one skinned rabbit . He could prepare the animal in about two mins flat, entrails and all.

The way Enzed does it. With his new dentures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFOP5kIr2w

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 am 

backrow wrote:

You can squeeze down the ribs, pushing the guts down, then swing the rabbit like a baseball bat, and the guts shoot right out. It's quite a sight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:15 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:

Usually bad reviews from vegans are the sign of a good restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am 

I have no issue with vegans. Essentially they are putting the wellbeing of animals above their desire for something nice on their tastebuds.

I don't think that is a weird or crazy attitude to have.

My wife is vegan and I enjoy quite a lot of the food - so it isn't a big deal for me.

Most vegans are pretty decent and although they're happy to explain their reasons for turning away from meat and animal products, they have good awareness that not everyone agrees with them.

And yes - most of them are aware that they are pains in the arse when attending meals out or dinner parties.

But it is the few loud voices of completely unreasonable militant vegans that turn more people away from the ideal than anything else. Completely unaware that they create such a toxic attitude that most people that come into contact with them immediately become opposed to the idea of veganism - simply because they don't want to be associated with plums like them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 am 

Wonder if Adolf Hitler would have joined those vegans in their protest ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Probably not - he would have been too busy eating his favourite meals like sausages, pigeon and turtle soup.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
I have no issue with vegans. Essentially they are putting the wellbeing of animals above their desire for something nice on their tastebuds.

My wife is vegan and I enjoy quite a lot of the food - so it isn't a big deal for me.

Most vegans are pretty decent and although they're happy to explain their reasons for turning away from meat and animal products, they have good awareness that not everyone agrees with them.

And yes - most of them are aware that they are pains in the arse when attending meals out or dinner parties.

But it is the few loud voices of completely unreasonable militant vegans that turn more people away from the ideal than anything else. Completely unaware that they create such a toxic attitude that most people that come into contact with them immediately become opposed to the idea of veganism - simply because they don't want to be associated with plums like them.

Long happy life + painless death = not a big deal ethically for me. Would be happy to eat lab-grown meat in a future where we can replicate natural meat though. For me factory farming is worse than the actual death of the animal, assuming it is done as instantaneously as possible.

Couldn't see myself going vegetarian/vegan though, meat brings me too much joy in life.

Last edited by Andalu on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Probably not - he would have been too busy eating his favourite meals like sausages, pigeon and turtle soup.

Thought he was a vegetarian who did not drink alcohol ... Wiki says otherwise.

Quote:
Hitler was often distressed by images of animal cruelty and suffering, and was an antivivisectionist.

More, gainsaying that :

Quote:
On 12 January 1942, he said, "The only thing of which I shall be incapable is to share the sheiks' mutton with them. I'm a vegetarian, and they must spare me from their meat."[5] In a diary entry dated 26 April 1942, Joseph Goebbels described Hitler as a committed vegetarian, writing,

An extended chapter of our talk was devoted by the Führer to the vegetarian question. He believes more than ever that meat-eating is harmful to humanity. Of course he knows that during the war we cannot completely upset our food system. After the war, however, he intends to tackle this problem also. Maybe he is right. Certainly the arguments that he adduces in favor of his standpoint are very compelling.[6]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Thought he was a vegetarian who did not drink alcohol ... Wiki says otherwise.

Quote:
Hitler was often distressed by images of animal cruelty and suffering, and was an antivivisectionist.

More, gainsaying that :

Quote:
On 12 January 1942, he said, "The only thing of which I shall be incapable is to share the sheiks' mutton with them. I'm a vegetarian, and they must spare me from their meat."[5] In a diary entry dated 26 April 1942, Joseph Goebbels described Hitler as a committed vegetarian, writing,

An extended chapter of our talk was devoted by the Führer to the vegetarian question. He believes more than ever that meat-eating is harmful to humanity. Of course he knows that during the war we cannot completely upset our food system. After the war, however, he intends to tackle this problem also. Maybe he is right. Certainly the arguments that he adduces in favor of his standpoint are very compelling.[6]

So your point is?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:58 am 

Dunno. I am a committed carnivore. But, due to some problems swallowing I am more and more dependant on a vegetarian diet.

Mushrooms helps a bit, but I miss meat ...

Last edited by Wilson's Toffee on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:58 am 

Well if Hitler being a vegetarian doesnt confirm it as a terrible concept i dont know what does

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Well if Hitler being a vegetarian doesnt confirm it as a terrible concept i dont know what does

And Idi Amin liked chicken.......therefore.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:06 pm 

Andalu wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Long happy life + painless death = not a big deal ethically for me. Would be happy to eat lab-grown meat in a future where we can replicate natural meat though. For me factory farming is worse than the actual death of the animal, assuming it is done as instantaneously as possible.

Couldn't see myself going vegetarian/vegan though, meat brings me too much joy in life.

Good reason to support ethical farming though. Not so much with the long happy life in some of those factory farms.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 pm 

I hit a deer once. It bounced off the windscreen having dented the front end.

It flew into the air and landed on the road.

I'm not one to waste meat. So I reversed the car and bunged it in the boot and took it to Bradshaws, the butchers.

I got free meat for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:13 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:

Good post.

I know a few vegans, and apart from being a little bit of a pain in the hole to cater for, they're nice peoples.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

And Idi Amin liked chicken.......therefore.....

Yeah but he was a decent rugby player so we let some things slide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 pm 

globus wrote:

I'm not one to waste meat. So I reversed the car and bunged it in the boot and took it to Bradshaws, the butchers.

I can't be bothered looking it up, but I'm pretty sure that's a criminal act

What type of deer was it btw?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
backrow wrote:

The way Enzed does it. With his new dentures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFOP5kIr2w

A skill is a skill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

Lying online about hitting a deer with your car is a crime now?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:07 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

Lying online about hitting a deer with your car is a crime now?

Shut up Derek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:12 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

I always take my road kill to my local butcher for some freebies.

I traded a dead badger and myxomatosis rabbit for a scotch egg and a four slices of salami once.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next