Chat Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2058
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

Quote:
The term has grown since the Brexit referendum and 2017 general election, and has been seen by some as a response by the left to the term "snowflake" to describe easily offended liberal millennials.

The gammon-snowflake clash seems to map the divisions between younger Remain voters and older people who supported Brexit.

The pork-based insult has gained renewed prominence after an article in the Times newspaper reported some were saying it was a racial slur used by those supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to attack middle-aged men.

"Gammon" has been tweeted over 40,000 times in the past 24 hours.


Definitely a racist term if judging it against the standards of today...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
englishchief wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

Quote:
The term has grown since the Brexit referendum and 2017 general election, and has been seen by some as a response by the left to the term "snowflake" to describe easily offended liberal millennials.

The gammon-snowflake clash seems to map the divisions between younger Remain voters and older people who supported Brexit.

The pork-based insult has gained renewed prominence after an article in the Times newspaper reported some were saying it was a racial slur used by those supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to attack middle-aged men.

"Gammon" has been tweeted over 40,000 times in the past 24 hours.


Definitely a racist term if judging it against the standards of today...


What race are the Gammon people?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2058
Thomas wrote:
englishchief wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

Quote:
The term has grown since the Brexit referendum and 2017 general election, and has been seen by some as a response by the left to the term "snowflake" to describe easily offended liberal millennials.

The gammon-snowflake clash seems to map the divisions between younger Remain voters and older people who supported Brexit.

The pork-based insult has gained renewed prominence after an article in the Times newspaper reported some were saying it was a racial slur used by those supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to attack middle-aged men.

"Gammon" has been tweeted over 40,000 times in the past 24 hours.


Definitely a racist term if judging it against the standards of today...


What race are the Gammon people?


They originate from Hamana


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14954
Location: Auckland, NZ, Earth
Sometimes i think the internet is ruining society.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 14374
True Blue wrote:
Sometimes i think the internet is ruining society.


Get over it you big snowflake.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30887
is it cos i is gammon?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30887
englishchief wrote:
Thomas wrote:
englishchief wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

Quote:
The term has grown since the Brexit referendum and 2017 general election, and has been seen by some as a response by the left to the term "snowflake" to describe easily offended liberal millennials.

The gammon-snowflake clash seems to map the divisions between younger Remain voters and older people who supported Brexit.

The pork-based insult has gained renewed prominence after an article in the Times newspaper reported some were saying it was a racial slur used by those supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to attack middle-aged men.

"Gammon" has been tweeted over 40,000 times in the past 24 hours.


Definitely a racist term if judging it against the standards of today...


What race are the Gammon people?


They originate from Hamana


Capital city Dodoodududu.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13266
All somehow sparked off by that simpleton Emma Little Pengelly. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm
Posts: 1276
Obviously anyone taking offense to this term is a big girls blouse, however, it can be considered offensive and so anyone using it pejoratively should face imprisonment.


Last edited by genghis khan on Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46223
Location: In the Centre/left wing
genghis khan wrote:
Obviously it's ridiculous to consider it a racist term, however, it can be considered offensive and so anyone saying it should face imprisonment.

Can you spamming cnuts just ask the mods to sticky a far right/alt right thread ffs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18863
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
is calling someone a gammon more or less racist than calling someone a coconut?

these are all questions to be asked in today's Labour Party

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm
Posts: 1276
c69 wrote:
genghis khan wrote:
Obviously it's ridiculous to consider it a racist term, however, it can be considered offensive and so anyone saying it should face imprisonment.

Can you spamming cnuts just ask the mods to sticky a far right/alt right thread ffs


I didn't realise it could be deemed 'far right/alt right' to refer to law.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30887
c69 wrote:
genghis khan wrote:
Obviously it's ridiculous to consider it a racist term, however, it can be considered offensive and so anyone saying it should face imprisonment.

Can you spamming cnuts just ask the mods to sticky a far right/alt right thread ffs


Good idea. Mods! Can you please sticky a far right / alt right thread please.

If you can call it 'PR Warriors of Crom: What is best in Life' that would be grand. Thanks. Long overdue imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18446
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.


Aside from the word Koori, he's 100% accurate though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1243
Location: Saint Paul
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.


The bits I bolded suggests to me that you are full of shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.


Aside from the word Koori, he's 100% accurate though...

Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.



It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
When I lived in Darwin it was Koori slang for "Bullshit"...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gammin


:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.


The bits I bolded suggests to me that you are full of shit.

Should we label the Northern Australian tribal groups, who have nothing to do with Kooris from southern Australia, by a completely inaccurate term, simply because we have no idea about the tribal and linguistic heritage of indigenous Australia? Should we label all Africans Zulus? Or South Americans, Inca? Europeans, Germans? I'm surprised anyone is still making this mistake, to be honest, and no doubt the intention is to signal virtue, but it only signals ignorance, which in the context can scarcely be called virtue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.



It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.

What argument? I'm only making one, and that's that calling all indigenous Australians Koori is paternalistic and ignorant. The same argument I made 10 odd years ago when eugenius misused the term.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.



It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.

What argument? I'm only making one, and that's that calling all indigenous Australians Koori is paternalistic and ignorant. The same argument I made 10 odd years ago when eugenius misused the term.


Gammin...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20317
Sing along with the gammon people,
Sing along and it might just get you through.
Laugh along with the gammon people,
Laugh along even though they're laughing at you,
And the stupid things that you do.
Because you think that poor is cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1243
Location: Saint Paul
pontifex wrote:
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:

:lol: You're trying so hard, but the term Koori refers only to a certain group from southern NSW/Northern Victoria. The languages of Northern Australia, for instance, are further apart genealogically than English and Hindi. 10 points for virtue signalling, 0 for accuracy, eug.


Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.




The bits I bolded suggests to me that you are full of shit.

Should we label the Northern Australian tribal groups, who have nothing to do with Kooris from southern Australia, by a completely inaccurate term, simply because we have no idea about the tribal and linguistic heritage of indigenous Australia? Should we label all Africans Zulus? Or South Americans, Inca? Europeans, Germans? I'm surprised anyone is still making this mistake, to be honest, and no doubt the intention is to signal virtue, but it only signals ignorance, which in the context can scarcely be called virtue.


In answer to your questions, no. But to assert that you know what his intention was is arrogant at best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Snapper has used the generic word for the group of people, Koori, incorrectly (Koori people are from the southern states, Murri people are from QLD btw) but he is correct that "gammin" is Australian Indigenous slang for "taking the piss" or "bullshitting someone" especially common in QLD, NT and WA.

I heard it as a kid in North QLD and have heard it in remote communities in WA.

Yes. I understand what his mistake was (and why he made it). That's why I wrote precisely what I did.




The bits I bolded suggests to me that you are full of shit.

Should we label the Northern Australian tribal groups, who have nothing to do with Kooris from southern Australia, by a completely inaccurate term, simply because we have no idea about the tribal and linguistic heritage of indigenous Australia? Should we label all Africans Zulus? Or South Americans, Inca? Europeans, Germans? I'm surprised anyone is still making this mistake, to be honest, and no doubt the intention is to signal virtue, but it only signals ignorance, which in the context can scarcely be called virtue.


In answer to your questions, no. But to assert that you know what his intention was is arrogant at best.

OK. Perhaps his ignorance was ironic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.



It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.

What argument? I'm only making one, and that's that calling all indigenous Australians Koori is paternalistic and ignorant. The same argument I made 10 odd years ago when eugenius misused the term.


Gammin...

Are you suggesting that I'm bullshitting that it's incorrect to label Northern Australian Aborigines by the Southern Australian tribal label 'Koori'? Given that you seem to actually understand that there were multiple tribal groups in pre-colonial Australia? Ok...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Yes, and I was referring to his use of the word Koori, which is a misattribution, based on a form of ignorance, which he uses out of paternalism. Are you suggesting I give him 5 points for accuracy, even though I'm clearly referring to his mislabeling of Northern Australian Aborigines? We had this out years ago, with eugenius, when he attempted to signal his credentials by use of the term, while failing to understand that most indigenous Australians are no more Koori than I am Russian. Arguably, whatever the intention, it's a form of racism by ignorance.



It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.

What argument? I'm only making one, and that's that calling all indigenous Australians Koori is paternalistic and ignorant. The same argument I made 10 odd years ago when eugenius misused the term.


Gammin...

Are you suggesting that I'm bullshitting that it's incorrect to label Northern Australian Aborigines by the Southern Australian tribal label 'Koori'? Given that you seem to actually understand that there were multiple tribal groups in pre-colonial Australia? Ok...


You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1243
Location: Saint Paul
pontifex wrote:
OK. Perhaps his ignorance was ironic.


Perhaps.

But your arrogance is what? Innate? Learnt? Comes with the day job?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:


It doesn't really matter in terms of the argument though, does it? You're gammin bruz.

What argument? I'm only making one, and that's that calling all indigenous Australians Koori is paternalistic and ignorant. The same argument I made 10 odd years ago when eugenius misused the term.


Gammin...

Are you suggesting that I'm bullshitting that it's incorrect to label Northern Australian Aborigines by the Southern Australian tribal label 'Koori'? Given that you seem to actually understand that there were multiple tribal groups in pre-colonial Australia? Ok...


You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.

Not really. I'm simply stating that the term Koori, which was briefly in vogue 20 years ago, has been discredited as an ignorant paternalism. Is it ok to make a comment, and then, when queried, to justify it, without being slurred as emotionally handicapped by a forum moderator?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
OK. Perhaps his ignorance was ironic.


Perhaps.

But your arrogance is what? Innate? Learnt? Comes with the day job?

Nah. It's earned. I'm probably one of the few posters on the bored who has ever studied an Aboriginal language.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1243
Location: Saint Paul
pontifex wrote:
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
OK. Perhaps his ignorance was ironic.


Perhaps.

But your arrogance is what? Innate? Learnt? Comes with the day job?

Nah. It's earned.


That is actually quite good. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.

Not really. I'm simply stating that the term Koori, which was briefly in vogue 20 years ago, has been discredited as an ignorant paternalism. Is it ok to make a comment, and then, when queried, to justify it, without being slurred as emotionally handicapped by a forum moderator?


Yes, yes, you've made your point. I bet Snapper is flagellating himself now while writing "Koori people aren't from the NT" 1,000 times because of his mistake. To be fair, he is from NZ but has lived in NSW and SA so he probably didn't know.

No need to call him racist though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
puku wrote:
pontifex wrote:
OK. Perhaps his ignorance was ironic.


Perhaps.

But your arrogance is what? Innate? Learnt? Comes with the day job?

Nah. It's earned.


That is actually quite good. :lol:

Well, you had your go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14954
Location: Auckland, NZ, Earth
Australians do it best. Just call everyone "cvnts". No problem then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.

Not really. I'm simply stating that the term Koori, which was briefly in vogue 20 years ago, has been discredited as an ignorant paternalism. Is it ok to make a comment, and then, when queried, to justify it, without being slurred as emotionally handicapped by a forum moderator?


Yes, yes, you've made your point. I bet Snapper is flagellating himself now while writing "Koori people aren't from the NT" 1,000 times because of his mistake. To be fair, he is from NZ but has lived in NSW and SA so he probably didn't know.

No need to call him racist though.

Live up to your own standards, mate. At least I made an argument.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
True Blue wrote:
Australians do it best. Just call everyone "cvnts". No problem then.


:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3328
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.

Not really. I'm simply stating that the term Koori, which was briefly in vogue 20 years ago, has been discredited as an ignorant paternalism. Is it ok to make a comment, and then, when queried, to justify it, without being slurred as emotionally handicapped by a forum moderator?


Yes, yes, you've made your point. I bet Snapper is flagellating himself now while writing "Koori people aren't from the NT" 1,000 times because of his mistake. To be fair, he is from NZ but has lived in NSW and SA so he probably didn't know.

No need to call him racist though.

Out of interest, how do you now feel about the sordid stories you used to share here? Are you ashamed of them? What do they say about you? Are/were you a bad person? How's the comedy going?


Last edited by pontifex on Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19298
Location: STRAYA!
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You're really going full Aspy, aren't you?

Anyway, the term gammon isn't racist at all and gammin is indigenous slang for bullshitting.

Not really. I'm simply stating that the term Koori, which was briefly in vogue 20 years ago, has been discredited as an ignorant paternalism. Is it ok to make a comment, and then, when queried, to justify it, without being slurred as emotionally handicapped by a forum moderator?


Yes, yes, you've made your point. I bet Snapper is flagellating himself now while writing "Koori people aren't from the NT" 1,000 times because of his mistake. To be fair, he is from NZ but has lived in NSW and SA so he probably didn't know.

No need to call him racist though.

Out of interest, how do you now feel about the sordid stories you used to share here? Are you ashamed of them? What do they say about you? Are you a bad person? How's the comedy going?


Yeah, feeling pretty tops right now mate thanks for asking.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andalu, Birdy, booze, choc, danthefan, Darth_Quinlan, Double, EverReady, Foot Up, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], GWO2, Harveys, iarmhiman, jambanja, Jay Cee Gee, Jeff the Bear, kingswood, Lorthern Nights, polyallstar, Portcullis Irish, rfurlong, Santa, sonic_attack, Stevus55, sunnybanana, sweepem, TheDocForgotHisLogon, The Native, TokenSarriesFan, YOYO and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group