Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm 

pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
'Virtue signalling' has to be one of the stupidest terms going. Particularly when you have some arsehole throwing around "paternalistic" and then accusing other people of virtue signalling :lol: fudge me.

Virtue signalling is a very useful word in our times. And virtue signalling is quite often used in a patronising, unnecessary attempt to protect people who don't want or need it, don't you think?

It's a ridiculous term that's used, often in conjunction with SJW, to shut down other views or opinions.

And your use on this thread is pretty ironic.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
'Virtue signalling' has to be one of the stupidest terms going. Particularly when you have some arsehole throwing around "paternalistic" and then accusing other people of virtue signalling :lol: fudge me.

Virtue signalling is a very useful word in our times. And virtue signalling is quite often used in a patronising, unnecessary attempt to protect people who don't want or need it, don't you think?

It's a ridiculous term that's used, often in conjunction with SJW, to shut down other views or opinions.

You think that empty virtue signalling is not one of the top 5 most useful behavioural descriptions of our times? Oh, of course you don't. You actually think you and others who carry on with it are sincere. :lol:
And yes, I was being ironic quite often, actually. That's obvious.

Last edited by pontifex on Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm 

pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

You think that empty virtue signalling is not one of the top 5 most useful behavioural descriptions of our times? Oh, of course you don't. You actually think you and others who carry on with it are sincere. :lol:
And yes, I was being ironic quite often, actually.

Thanks Cathy Newman.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

And yes, I was being ironic quite often, actually.

Thanks Cathy Newman.

Good comeback, Eddie Murphy. Or is that Sandra Bee?

Last edited by pontifex on Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
Je suis Gammon

[bob Marley mode]
I wanna gammin it wid you.
We're gammin', gammin'
And I hope you like gammin', too

I did think of that joke several hours ago...

but I chose not to use it for reasons that may become apparent as the thread slowly collapses in on itself due to the vacuum caused by such a bad pun.

Because its not a joke?

It's such a bad pun that it is, in fact, a joke.

Perhaps he is hammin it up

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 pm 

pontifex wrote:

It's probably whatever you think I think it is, despite it being right in front of you.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

Seems to me a term of needless cynicism deployed by those who want to excuse themselves for being mean spirited dicks.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm 

pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

And yes, I was being ironic quite often, actually. That's obvious.

Of course, claiming someone is virtue signalling is a kind of virtue signalling itself...and naturally me pointing that out is some kind of virtue signalling in and off itself. Naturally others will point out why they think i am wrong in some way with their own virtue signalling. Its just signalling all the way down.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:

It's probably whatever you think I think it is, despite it being right in front of you.

Ooh, now we're channeling Freud (or better, Lacan). I'm very impressed.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Seems to me a term of needless cynicism deployed by those who want to excuse themselves for being mean spirited dicks.

That's pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Only snowflakes think gammon is offensive and only gammons get angry at ‘snowflake’

https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm 

c69 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
[bob Marley mode]
We're gammin', gammin'

I did think of that joke several hours ago...

but I chose not to use it for reasons that may become apparent as the thread slowly collapses in on itself due to the vacuum caused by such a bad pun.

Because its not a joke?

It's such a bad pun that it is, in fact, a joke.

Perhaps he is hammin it up

:x :x
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm 

naki wrote:
I for one would not be messing with ponti, not after he scared off those dog-bothering Chechan gangsters like Crocodile John Wick or something

Meh. I couldn't help getting angry. They had been to my house when my wife was alone the day before. I guess, just by sheer fact of an involuntary temper (inherited most certainly from my mother, not my father), I made them realise they would have to escalate beyond what it was probably worth to keep going.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Zakar wrote:

The Aussie is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a rogue, rascal, galah, bastard, hoon, larrikin, dingo, it all runs off him like water off a platypus. But call him an SJW and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

It's a term that has become completly meaningless by people using it to refer to anyone slightly left leaning. I used to happily use it to refer to the tumblr set, now I avoid doing so as it has become meaningless and does nothing other than label the attempted labeler.

Well, that's not how I use it. I'm very specific.

You could use the word gay very specifically to mean happy, but people will misinterpret you as a result of how the word is used by others.

Like 'paki'?

Yep.

Also fag, homo and Jew which you're not adverse to chucking around. Although I guess we'd be here arguing all day about the context of the latter :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:02 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
Santa wrote:
You've mentioned hipsters twice in your last 2 posts.

Twice in the same conversation?

bake me away, toys.

Well, you've mentioned gentrification before with me as the biggest problem in the municipality, several times. I guess that's because it's safe to criticise some migration.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm 

pontifex wrote:
Tschussie wrote:
Santa wrote:

bake me away, toys.

Well, you've mentioned gentrification before with me as the biggest problem in the municipality, several times. I guess that's because it's safe to criticise some migration.

My girlfriend remembers when all these bars were fields. I have artist Berliner friends who used to be able to afford whole storeys here, but I am pretty meh on the subject.

My vague recollection of our conversation was that I was pointing it out in reference to the neighbourhood perhaps being a war zone, or not.

edit: I am a part of gentrification so any criticism would always include myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Tschussie wrote:
Santa wrote:

bake me away, toys.

My girlfriend remembers when all these bars were fields. I have artist Berliner friends who used to be able to afford whole storeys here, but I am pretty meh on the subject.

My vague recollection of our conversation was that I was pointing it out in reference to the neighbourhood perhaps being a war zone, or not.

That's your exaggeration, not mine. I seem to remember you were very insistent that observable (and easily provable) phenomena in Berlin were not real, because you 1) aren't very observant and 2) probably read little beyond Ex Berliner in terms of Berlin news. It's funny you're so critical of hipsters and gentrification, come to think of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm 

pontifex wrote:
That's your exaggeration, not mine. I seem to remember you were very insistent that observable (and easily provable) phenomena in Berlin were not real, because you 1) aren't very observant and 2) probably read little beyond Ex Berliner in terms of Berlin news. It's funny you're so critical of hipsters and gentrification, come to think of it.

Never read it in my life.

You are so quick to hostility in discussion. You are also incredibly impatient to jump conclusions based off of limited data.

I used hipster as shorthand for a group of people. I am not hostile to hipsters in the slightest.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:24 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
pontifex wrote:

You are so quick to hostility in discussion. You are also incredibly impatient to jump conclusions based off of limited data.

I used hipster as shorthand for a group of people. I am not hostile to hipsters in the slightest.

Humanities innit.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm 

Thomas wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:
disagree. You absolutely love being the voice of middle England.

You’re on here, barely having skimmed the detail of the thread, rushing to pump out your hot love gravy.

Don’t deny it. ;)

"The detail" ?

Pontifex has pop about a misuse of an aboriginal name (in context considering the thread and the post)

Get attacked, oddly by a mod, who charmingly uses "Aspy" as a thing.

Pontifex goes a bit bonkers about said mods posting history.

Australians queue up to display there dislike of pontifex (past and present), who does annoy them tremendously by being arrogant (and using good words).

Have I missed anything?

Wow.

You got that from this thread?

Okay.

So what actually happened, then? I mean, that seems like exactly what happened? And you'll have to go beyond simply saying I went full retard. What exactly did you chime in for, to defend the honour of one of your clique members? And what else? How did the conversation evolve, otherwise, apart from attempts to insinuate that I'm a racist along the way, by people who don't quite have the guts to come out and say it directly?

It's evident I've pissed off quite a few people over the years, and probably the people who I've pissed off have changed over the past couple (and my, aren't they a vindictive bunch!). That's because I'm arrogant, say what I think, and apologise for neither, I suspect. I'll give you pompous, too, for free...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
pontifex wrote:

I'm just guessing. You seem to fit so much of the rest of the cliche, I thought I'd throw that one in just for poetic effect.

The second bit's interesting here. I mean, you've stated you're pretty certain who is behind the poisonings in my local dog square, despite not knowing where it is, or how it happened. With somewhat more information than you, I've said I don't know who (singular or plural) is responsible, just the the council is unlikely to lay loose rat poison in an off leash dog area. Not sure who the council thinks it is, that they need to protect them.

Last edited by pontifex on Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm 

Thomas wrote:
englishchief wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

Quote:
The term has grown since the Brexit referendum and 2017 general election, and has been seen by some as a response by the left to the term "snowflake" to describe easily offended liberal millennials.

The gammon-snowflake clash seems to map the divisions between younger Remain voters and older people who supported Brexit.

The pork-based insult has gained renewed prominence after an article in the Times newspaper reported some were saying it was a racial slur used by those supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to attack middle-aged men.

"Gammon" has been tweeted over 40,000 times in the past 24 hours.

Definitely a racist term if judging it against the standards of today...

What race are the Gammon people?

:roll:

Edit

Sorry I thought it was SOTN

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm 

Quote:
@Renown_Vet

Just to be clear, I guarantee that, if you call me Gammon, you won't be able to eat any for a f**king long time......

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

When used accurately it's perfectly valid and precise term for what some groups of people try to do in place of rational discussion and actions to shut down views or opinions. Given it's those accused of the ridiculous extremes of SWJ behaviour are associated with recent phenomenon like no platforming and aggressive protest to shut down valid public debate of different political or social opinions I'd suggest the valid use of 'virtual signalling' is more prominent than the alternative use of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

Tragically it's a vocal minority like those who accuse everybody of being alt-right or a nazi or from the other side a snowflake.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:15 pm 

Perhaps the gammons are from Hambodia? Or porktugal?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Tragically it's a vocal minority like those who accuse everybody of being alt-right or a nazi or from the other side a snowflake.

Alt right's a bit different from Nazi in terms of being thrown around considering most barely understand what it means. Apparently what I thought is alt right is actually alt lite.

I just use it for your big standard right wing internet horribles.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:36 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Alt right's a bit different from Nazi in terms of being thrown around considering most barely understand what it means. Apparently what I thought is alt right is actually alt lite.

What is your preferred term for faux left-wing authoritarians such as yourself?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 pm 

pontifex wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

What is your preferred term for faux left-wing authoritarians such as yourself?

Depressives.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

MungoMan wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
Je suis Gammon

[bob Marley mode]
We're gammin', gammin'

I thought gammin' was thing of the past

I’m livin’ in the love of the Gammon people.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm 

Quote:
edit: I am a part of gentrification so any criticism would always include myself.

Now just when Pontifex was looking to be the most pompous on the thread, this doozy gets posted.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm 

is it cos i is gammon?

We’re gammon, hope you like gammon too

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:48 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Quote:

Now just when Pontifex was looking to be the most pompous on the thread, this doozy gets posted.

I don't like the use of that word but I was responding directly to pontifex's use of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

I don't like the use of that word but I was responding directly to pontifex's use of it.

I was referring to "any critism would always".. It's a remarkable responsibility to take on for a whole neighbourhood ..

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

What? You've referred to it several times over several discussions with me. It's the acceptable form of anti-migration identity politics, a conversational diversion used by cowards.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:58 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Tschussie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

I was referring to "any critism would always".. It's a remarkable responsibility to take on for a whole neighbourhood ..

pontifex was claiming that I was hostile to the hipsters/recent arrivals/"gentrification", which I am not, and I was pointing out that if I was hostile then that would mean that I would be hostile against myself as one of the many people who arrived and radically increased rental prices.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:01 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Tschussie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

pontifex was claiming that I was hostile to the hipsters/recent arrivals/"gentrification", which I am not, and I was pointing out that if I was hostile then that would mean that I would be hostile against myself as one of the many people who arrived and radically increased rental prices.

That's far more sensible than "any and always" , otherwise that cereal restaurant would be yours ....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:01 pm 

I phrased it very poorly.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm 

So, can we take it the Berlin cabal is not an event coloured by bonhomie.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm 

Berlin is shit. Vandalism as art. Bulldoze the lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next