Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 am 

This is a massive article so I'm not going to past it. It's something I've heard echoed a bit and is worth a read.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/?p=115485

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 am 

Justice 4 Ben Mowen

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 am 

It pulls no punches. that's for certain.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 am 

Thomas wrote:
It pulls no punches. that's for certain.

Gets a few things wrong, too.

But I won't besmirch the whole piece. Some good points well made.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 am 

Does anyone actually expect things to change at the top?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Does anyone actually expect things to change at the top?

Nope.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 am 

Not before the front falls off ...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 am 

Can agree that club rugby seems to be flourishing well. Both my boys play on Satuday and Sunday for their club and it's great to go down and see hundreds of kids have fun playing the game.

As an aside, a shout out to the feral parents from the Browns Plains Mets who cheered every time one of their players tackled one of my son's team mates around the neck. Shouting "that's what you get" and "smash him so he remembers not to run next time" at 10 year old kids who are lying prone on the ground in pain isn't cool. A special mention to the gold toothed lady in the NZ Warriors jersey who said "Shaddup ya bald cunt" to me in front of my wife and 6yo son when I took offence at a kid being kneed in the head.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 am 

Club rugby in Sydney used to be able to fill the SFS for its grand final. Now it packs North Sydney Oval and everybody creams their jeans.

It really depends how long your view is, but crowds now are not the best they have ever been, they are up a bit over the last decade, which is better than the alternative.

I would say that club rugby in Sydney is now much better to watch than it was 20 years ago.

As for the article, it is big on what is wrong, but the solutions are anodyne. The single biggest problem I reckon is that lack of a transfer system. Put a price on the talent we produce here, that is bloody obvious. But will it happen? No of course it won't.

Maybe we should go on strike for a couple of seasons, refuse to play NH sides. It would hurt us, but it would make a point.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:00 am 

Thomas wrote:
Can agree that club rugby seems to be flourishing well. Both my boys play on Satuday and Sunday for their club and it's great to go down and see hundreds of kids have fun playing the game.

As an aside, a shout out to the feral parents from the Browns Plains Mets who cheered every time one of their players tackled one of my son's team mates around the neck. Shouting "that's what you get" and "smash him so he remembers not to run next time" at 10 year old kids who are lying prone on the ground in pain isn't cool. A special mention to the gold toothed lady in the NZ Warriors jersey who said "Shaddup ya bald cunt" to me in front of my wife and 6yo son when I took offence at a kid being kneed in the head.

You can't help yourself. You're the new Burke's Boot.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 am 

The Native wrote:
Thomas wrote:

You can't help yourself. You're the new Burke's Boot.

:?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Club rugby in Sydney used to be able to fill the SFS for its grand final. Now it packs North Sydney Oval and everybody creams their jeans.

It really depends how long your view is, but crowds now are not the best they have ever been, they are up a bit over the last decade, which is better than the alternative.

I would say that club rugby in Sydney is now much better to watch than it was 20 years ago.

As for the article, it is big on what is wrong, but the solutions are anodyne. The single biggest problem I reckon is that lack of a transfer system. Put a price on the talent we produce here, that is bloody obvious. But will it happen? No of course it won't.

Maybe we should go on strike for a couple of seasons, refuse to play NH sides. It would hurt us, but it would make a point.

I think the drift of his argument is that Australian rugby still has a solid fan base who want to care about their game... so that should be a priority for management.

I completely agree about the transfer idea. Something has to be done and soon. All 4 major rugby playing nations in the SH are at threat because of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 am 

guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

I think the drift of his argument is that Australian rugby still has a solid fan base who want to care about their game... so that should be a priority for management.

I completely agree about the transfer idea. Something has to be done and soon. All 4 major rugby playing nations in the SH are at threat because of it.

Yeah, this 100%.

They are already making moves on NZ talent. It's only a matter of time before someone like Beauden Barrett is poached north. The allure of being a very big fish in a tiny pond in NZ still has some pulling power though. The earning potential for All Blacks in NZ is still there.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:16 am 

The unpalatable truth for us is that even if the whole AB squad was poached, they could still put a bloody good team on the paddock.

The depth they have is scary. Wonderful in a sense, maybe awe-inspiring is the word. What would we give to be able to do a bit of selective poaching.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
The unpalatable truth for us is that even if the whole AB squad was poached, they could still put a bloody good team on the paddock.

The depth they have is scary. Wonderful in a sense, maybe awe-inspiring is the word. What would we give to be able to do a bit of selective poaching.

I think we're going to see that depth sorely tested between now and the RWC but that's a side issue. He alludes to poaching in the article and it's not a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 am 

guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

I think we're going to see that depth sorely tested between now and the RWC but that's a side issue. He alludes to poaching in the article and it's not a bad idea.

The team he posted purely from Australian players overseas is a seriously good team (in Australian terms) though.

I've written two articles for The Roar echoing some of his sentiments. I honestly don't have any answers other than a wholesale review of the system (again). For me, the skills is a huge issue.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/low-can-wallabies-go/

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/04/24/2018-another-annus-horribilis-australian-rugby/

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:35 am 

Thomas wrote:

Smells fishy, bet you it was really a broncos jersey.

As for club rugby being flourishing, I'm not sure if that's the case in Sydney, I've heard a number of clubs appear to be struggling to field teams - so maybe 'prem' level clubs are doing alright but you want that filtering down to the lower levels?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Thomas wrote:

As for club rugby being flourishing, I'm not sure if that's the case in Sydney, I've heard a number of clubs appear to be struggling to field teams - so maybe 'prem' level clubs are doing alright but you want that filtering down to the lower levels?

A Broncos fan would be seen dead at a rugby union match.

The season hasn't been going on for long but I've witnessed some great crowds at my local clubs and the clubs where my kids are playing.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 am 

Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Thomas wrote:

A Broncos fan would be seen dead at a rugby union match.

The season hasn't been going on for long but I've witnessed some great crowds at my local clubs and the clubs where my kids are playing.

If they were a Kiwi they would be. Still a surprisingly large number of Kiwi Broncos fans floating around. I never liked them because I was a Laurie Daley fan and they wore poo brown and yellow. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am 

As far as I know, the only club that could not field the full required number of teams (four senior, three colts) is Penrith. Sadly, they are no more, at least not in this guise. NSWRU has taken steps to provide a playing vehicle for their younger players.

I think I heard something about Parramatta not fielding one of its colts teams.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 am 

He makes a lot of good points.

Personally I find myself less and less interested in Super rugby due to our teams being so poor. Any given all Australian derby pales in comparison to the skills on display over the ditch. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:

Personally I find myself less and less interested in Super rugby due to our teams being so poor. Any given all Australian derby pales in comparison to the skills on display over the ditch. :(

It must be a dilemma for australian rugby fans - watch two teams you couldn't give a shit about play a likely epic, or watch your team play a dirge of a derby.

South African teams make not watching them an easy decision - no skin in the game, shit rugby, awful time zone.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:43 am 

Shrekles wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

It must be a dilemma for australian rugby fans - watch two teams you couldn't give a shit about play a likely epic, or watch your team play a dirge of a derby.

South African teams make not watching them an easy decision - no skin in the game, shit rugby, awful time zone.

I was home sick yesterday and watched some of the Bulls - Sharks game. Utterly dire stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 am 

Thomas wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

I was home sick yesterday and watched some of the Bulls - Sharks game. Utterly dire stuff.

The commentary is the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 am 

Thomas wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Geez you must have been sick...

The only games i get up in the middle of the night to watch from the republic are All Blacks tests or Crusaders play off games.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 am 

I have all but given up. Just waiting until the June tests to roll around really. :|

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

The commentary is the icing on the cake.

Is it Hugh Bladen who does the monotone rumbling in every game? Dude would make a Disney Princess reach for the rope.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 am 

Thomas wrote:
Is it Hugh Bladen who does the monotone rumbling in every game? Dude would make a Disney Princess reach for the rope.

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnl_zUs8RU

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
As far as I know, the only club that could not field the full required number of teams (four senior, three colts) is Penrith. Sadly, they are no more, at least not in this guise. NSWRU has taken steps to provide a playing vehicle for their younger players.

Penrith Colts have been given a baa baa team. It's hardly keeping many in the game and signs off any duties as far as the NSWRU is concerned, mission accomplished in sure they belive they have saved rugby in the west. Meanwhile in reality land the divide in the shute shield grows larger. Usual clubs get get the spoils... Tahs player, juniors etc. Parra will get tapped on the shoulder next.
But further many subbies clubs are struggling that's what the poster above was alluding to.
ARU have more numbers than now than largest oz club at 140 employees. Whats that....4 senior teams and 4 colt teams
Says it a lot ...what do they do?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 am 

grievous wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Penrith Colts have been given a baa baa team. It's hardly keeping many in the game and signs off any duties as far as the NSWRU is concerned, mission accomplished in sure they belive they have saved rugby in the west. Meanwhile in reality land the divide in the shute shield grows larger. Usual clubs get get the spoils... Tahs player, juniors etc. Parra will get tapped on the shoulder next.
But further many subbies clubs are struggling that's what the poster above was alluding to.
ARU have more numbers than now than largest oz club at 140 employees. Whats that....4 senior teams and 4 colt teams

Because they are Elitist's who only want the game East of the Harbour Bridge*

And Loooong Lunches...

The sad part of that article is the cover photo - nearly every player in the photo was in the top 3 in the world for their position

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
grievous wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Because they are Elitist's who only want the game East of the Harbour Bridge*

And Loooong Lunches...

The sad part of that article is the cover photo - nearly every player in the photo was in the top 3 in the world for their position

There has been a steady decline in the nearly 20 years since that photo was taken.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 am 

Oh I know.

I was living in London back then and we used to get Super 12 games shown on Saturday mornings.

I picked a team by looking at that world cup team.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 am 

It's weird, watching all this happening on the back of a recliner, on a 39 game streak, that I don't get much satisfaction from it. There are seriously good players in Oz, but I think what's happening a bit is that coaching egos are in place and everyone is trying to unearth young superstars. They should value the veterans a bit more, as maybe, rather than flying overseas, they are being pushed out? I do understand there is a 'money' influence, but it usually only happens when the selectorial door has been closed.
NZ signings overseas this week: Ambrose Curtis (never more than an NPC player), Tim Bateman (SR Crusader, but not on the same ballpark as Goodhue, Crotty et al), and Elliot Dixon (An AB, and deserved to be, but has seen Squire, Fifita, Ioane, and even Whitelock, all go past him, while Todd, and Savea were already there). These three are guys who would never see an AB jersey (again in Dixon's case).
What think I'm seeing in Oz, is players who WOULD make a Wallaby team going overseas.
So, has the jersey lost its appeal?
Is it a Cheika thing?
Are the wages and lifestyle so bad in Oz?
What?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:56 am 

Peteray wrote:
It's weird, watching all this happening on the back of a recliner, on a 39 game streak, that I don't get much satisfaction from it. There are seriously good players in Oz, but I think what's happening a bit is that coaching egos are in place and everyone is trying to unearth young superstars. They should value the veterans a bit more, as maybe, rather than flying overseas, they are being pushed out? I do understand there is a 'money' influence, but it usually only happens when the selectorial door has been closed.
NZ signings overseas this week: Ambrose Curtis (never more than an NPC player), Tim Bateman (SR Crusader, but not on the same ballpark as Goodhue, Crotty et al), and Elliot Dixon (An AB, and deserved to be, but has seen Squire, Fifita, Ioane, and even Whitelock, all go past him, while Todd, and Savea were already there). These three are guys who would never see an AB jersey (again in Dixon's case).
What think I'm seeing in Oz, is players who WOULD make a Wallaby team going overseas.
Is it a Cheika thing?
What?

I don't want it to be broken, but it's better if it is broken, so I kind of want that to happen ... but, when it is broke I hope it's the Crusaders (but not to the Tahs obviously).

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:09 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Peteray wrote:
Is it a Cheika thing?
What?

I don't want it to be broken, but it's better if it is broken, so I kind of want that to happen ... but, when it is broke I hope it's the Crusaders (but not to the Tahs obviously).

How do you feel about the Reds?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 am 

Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Peteray wrote:
Is it a Cheika thing?
What?

As long as it's not the Tahs, then I'm all good - only the Crusaders though.

To be truthful, at the moment I feel a bit sorry for the Reds, that was a shellacking.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 am 

Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Peteray wrote:
Is it a Cheika thing?
What?

Conflicted.

Brad Thorn / Queenslanders / Australians / league / kicking puppies.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 am 

That is an interesting read with some good points and suggestions - a transfer system would be awesome to see.

However, one thing he doesn't discuss is failings in selection - players like Nadolo, Samu and Mike Alalatoa were all discarded by Australian teams and have gone on to show that they are at lease excellent Super rugby players.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 am 

Shrekles wrote:
That is an interesting read with some good points and suggestions - a transfer system would be awesome to see.

However, one thing he doesn't discuss is failings in selection - players like Nadolo, Samu and Mike Alalatoa were all discarded by Australian teams and have gone on to show that they are at lease excellent Super rugby players.

That's not failing in selection, it's failing in coaching. You only need to look at how much better Lousi and Aussie Gus are playing now they're back in NZ

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:40 am 

Shrekles wrote:

From all reports, Nadolo was a lazy, fat bloke when he finished school and didn't apply himself. That's why he didn't appear on any junior development radars. In saying that, this is a bloke who was developed and nurtured by the QLD system. As was Pocock. As was O'Connor. As was Ioane who was poached by the Force because the Reds didn't want him.

All four of them were discarded by the Qld Reds system (Ioane returned and so did O'Connor...I guess if you could call it that).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next