Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

From world Cup:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -rz72mm338

I always knew there was something off about that flag.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm 

also used by georgia...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm 

easy to get around, just wear paramedic uniform like Mike Brown here

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
From world Cup:

:lol: imperialistic?! Not a good idea to carry it because it will be a beacon for getting the shit kicked out of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm 

I imagine it will trigger uncomfortable memories of the crimean war.

"theres only one Florence nightingale!"

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm 

Just throw chairs like you normally do, that way we’ll all know where you’re proudly from.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:42 pm 

Good.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm 

About time.

There's nothing that triggers a panic attack like the sight of a red cross on a white background in an exact 2:3 height to width ratio.

It's only used by racists these days. There's much easier ways to identify what country someone is from, such as the colour of their skin.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Just throw chairs like you normally do, that way we’ll all know where you’re proudly from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDHAY_hbio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

I saw that in The Times earlier, it hasn't been banned but they recommend not taking it. Which is fair enough. I'll be taking my Mercia flag instead :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm 

frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

This gentleman doesn’t need a flag to show the world where he is from, everyone knows where he’s from.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

This gentleman doesn’t need a flag to show the world where he is from, everyone knows where he’s from.

Terrible form, wont get good line and length with that action.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 pm 

frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Indeed, but he has had 45 pints and it’s only lunchtime

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm 

:lol: ... Mercia.

Surely an "Imperialistic" flag would be the Union Jack, not the St George cross?

I've never seen a St George flag on anything to do with Imperial documents, photos of events, etc. over on this side of the pond. That'd surely have triggered our uppity Scots and Orange Irish immigrants.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

Surely an "Imperialistic" flag would be the Union Jack, not the St George cross?

I've never seen a St George flag on anything to do with Imperial documents, photos of events, etc. over on this side of the pond. That'd surely have triggered our uppity Scots and Orange Irish immigrants.

I think regional flags are actually having a resurgence in the UK. Living in Cornwall I see them fairly regularly but you also see a few in Devon, and I've seen a few in Wiltshire/Glous/Ox

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

Of course not. That’s because it hasn’t been a real flag since the middle ages

It’s a product of modern boganism in every much the same way that the Southern Cross tattoo is, down here.

Nasty, angry, little people who would’ve never stood up for the flag when it mattered anyway.

LOLwankers

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm 

Marketing to people's (often more muddied than they know / admit) cultural heritage.

Acadian flags pop up here, though I thought most of them were exiled in 1755 ... it's essentially a modern French flag with a five-point gold star in the upper part of the blue band. Adopted in the 1880s, apparently.

You will see random St Andrew, Irish harp, Welsh dragon flags about in Canada as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:31 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Marketing to people's (often more muddied than they know / admit) cultural heritage.

Acadian flags pop up here, though I thought most of them were exiled in 1755 ... it's essentially a modern French flag with a five-point gold star in the upper part of the blue band. Adopted in the 1880s, apparently.

You will see random St Andrew, Irish harp, Welsh dragon flags about in Canada as well.

And. Not to mention the rogue French state to the right.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:32 pm 

would've been more tactful just to say if you take it, you are much more likely to be curb stomped by a mob of russkis

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm 

Andalu wrote:
would've been more tactful just to say if you take it, you are much more likely to be curb stomped by a mob of russkis

Reverse psychology init, tell them cant "it's imperialistic", they all go against it, take one and get curb stomped. everyone is a winner.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

And the culinary world is grateful for it. Presumably the ones waving the flags are people with a tenuous connection to the Acadians, a bit like the Druids we have running round in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm 

englishchief wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

I think regional flags are actually having a resurgence in the UK. Living in Cornwall I see them fairly regularly but you also see a few in Devon, and I've seen a few in Wiltshire/Glous/Ox

Racist imperialists those Cornish

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm 

Brazil wrote:
And the culinary world is grateful for it. Presumably the ones waving the flags are people with a tenuous connection to the Acadians, a bit like the Druids we have running round in the UK.

Have you read "Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy"? It's a pretty reasonable historical survey of pre-Christian British religion, and consequently mostly consists of "we don't know", "we haven't got a clue" and "your guess is as good as mine".

Interestingly the author is (or was) himself a pagan, but is quite clear that neo-paganism is an entirely new religion with essentially no link to pre-Christian beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

A great English export but like others have been surpassed by Eastern Europe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
frillage wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Yeah falling away to leg side. Shite, unless he qualifies for Ireland, in which case he's a work in progress.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

It really is a ghastly flag.

It looks just about OK on a country church spire on a beautiful summer's day - but in all other circumstances, it looks naff and terrible. There's something horribly basic and brutalist about it. In the shit flag competition, it's up there with the Irish Tricolour and the Russian flag.

The Union Jack, on the other hand, makes a man's heart swoon.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:

We're England and Wales
We're England and Waaaaales
fudge off Russia
We're England and Wales

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm 

MrDominator wrote:

It looks just about OK on a country church spire on a beautiful summer's day - but in all other circumstances, it looks naff and terrible. There's something horribly basic and brutalist about it. In the shit flag competition, it's up there with the Irish Tricolour and the Russian flag.

It's a fairly shit flag, but then again it shows support for what has traditionally been a fairly shit team.
Think it's a bit off asking people not to support their team because they might be hospitalised.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

It's a fairly shit flag, but then again it shows support for what has traditionally been a fairly shit team.
Think it's a bit off asking people not to support their team because they might be hospitalised.

Yes, not carrying a flag is not supporting their team! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
Brazil wrote:

Have you read "Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy"? It's a pretty reasonable historical survey of pre-Christian British religion, and consequently mostly consists of "we don't know", "we haven't got a clue" and "your guess is as good as mine".

Interestingly the author is (or was) himself a pagan, but is quite clear that neo-paganism is an entirely new religion with essentially no link to pre-Christian beliefs.

I haven't, but I'll have a look for it. It sounds similar to a book about the pre-roman archaeology of London I once read where the author essentialy resorted to making it up fairly obviously.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm 

From world Cup:

Blimey that has got to be a first Police going with our travelling support to PROTECT them :shock: :shock:
I reckon it will kick off big styly and to a degree 'state encouraged' The small-dicked Russians will be wanting to show the world that Russians really have no redeeming features at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm 

frillage wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Why else would you carry a flag at a football tournament?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm 

It is iconic. The Scots got their hands on it and the saltire arrived.

I'm wondering if we should add a leek and maybe a shamrock.

I'll try and get Damion Hirst on the case.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
frillage wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Not sure how else to word it to make it simple for you, let’s try a question
“If they are not carrying a flag are they not supporting the team?”

I think the English football fans are the last ones that can question threats of violence.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:28 pm 

Brazil wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
Brazil wrote:

I haven't, but I'll have a look for it. It sounds similar to a book about the pre-roman archaeology of London I once read where the author essentialy resorted to making it up fairly obviously.

Like the entire last 50 years of anthropology by the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm 

Openside wrote:
From world Cup:

Blimey that has got to be a first Police going with our travelling support to PROTECT them :shock: :shock:
I reckon it will kick off big styly and to a degree 'state encouraged' The small-dicked Russians will be wanting to show the world that Russians really have no redeeming features at all.

Sounds like you want a piece of it guvnor. Are you making the push to Moscow with our brave Tommys?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm 

You lot are free to use ours, we won't be there anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
frillage wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Wipe the sweat off your brow in a tense penalty shoot out.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 pm 

frillage wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
frillage wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Not sure how else to word it to make it simple for you, let’s try a question
“If they are not carrying a flag are they not supporting the team?”

I think the English football fans are the last ones that can question threats of violence.

I think you're probably correct. But, to make it simple for you, what the fudge has that got to do with carrying a flag?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:34 pm 

FullbackAce wrote:
You lot are free to use ours, we won't be there anyway.

A good time to invade South ossetia.