Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm 

La soule wrote:
pontifex wrote:
La soule wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
pontifex wrote:
I think this was a helpful thread. We now have a more or less 'official' standard definition of the alt-right, and some clarification from someone who actually identifies with the movement and probably has more familiarity with their thought than anyone else on the bored. We can see where the overlap is, and where there are differences. I would have thought that was in everyone's interests - know your enemy, keep your enemies in plain sight and all that. The problem is that the alt-right have been given a monopoly on certain things which are true, or at least seem true to a lot of people, and without open discussion of their ideas, the monopoly remains. We've seen (I believe) that the devil really is in the details, even for those who may be sympathetic in general.

I'm sympathetic to many of their theories which is not the same thing as identifying with them. But you can see just how difficult it is to have a sensible discussion about this (pretty important) stuff when you see the performance here of our Belgian friend. And why I mostly don't bother.

Trying to get the moral high ground now?

It has never stopped you before and is unlikely to stop you moving forward.

I think Sen is far from the most abusive person on the forum, he's perfectly reasonable if approached in the right way, and provides a useful insight into the beliefs of people who we like to demonise but don't really understand. That said, we all have histories with each other on here. Not sure what yours is with him - pretty sure you've had the odd go at me, too (I give as good as I get, of course). I'd say, however, that if people really fear the rise of the alt-right (I think they're a small group), they don't really serve their cause by simply shutting them down. That doesn't make them disappear, it just keeps you in your comfort zone (they, in turn, will find somewhere that is their comfort zone, where they go unchallenged). Steven Pinker recently put it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJ5bvw6Ckw

In short, it's not unhealthy for us all to be a bit uncomfortable when discussing politics. That's how we might find a compromise.

Please do not believe for a second that he would shut down because some guy posting on the internet disagrees with him and says so.

Contrary to what he is posting, I do not spend my "virtual life" on here stalking him - We have very little exchanges and true, it never goes too well.

I find his patronising attitude more annoying that his alt right beliefs.

I've disagreed with him, and arguably have highlighted some of the more dangerous implications of the ideas he has sympathy with, and he's been perfectly reasonable in response. WHat I haven't done is called him a horrible or a deplorable person.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 pm 

pontifex wrote:
I've disagreed with him, and arguably have highlighted some of the more dangerous implications of the ideas he has sympathy with, and he's been perfectly reasonable in response. WHat I haven't done is called him a horrible or a deplorable person.

Good for you.

He called me worst names so I don't really feel bad about this.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

La soule wrote:
pontifex wrote:

Good for you.

He called me worst names so I don't really feel bad about this.

As I said, we all have histories with each other here. And the bored is a (shrinking) microcosm of the world.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:54 pm 

pontifex wrote:

I thought you'd met him, but had misremembered. It was Bulldog, not Seneca, that you and I caught up with at the Royal Exhibition Hotel in 2003. Reason for the confusion was I met Seneca for the first time at the same hotel maybe a few months later. Best part of 15 years ago - talk about histories with other posters.

Been a good read, this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm 

Waratah wrote:
pontifex wrote:

I thought you'd met him, but had misremembered. It was Bulldog, not Seneca, that you and I caught up with at the Royal Exhibition Hotel in 2003. Reason for the confusion was I met Seneca for the first time at the same hotel maybe a few months later. Best part of 15 years ago - talk about histories with other posters.

I didn't know Ponti went that far back on this place.

Just to highlight the point bolded, much of the alt-right stuff that I've read is more of the 'uh oh, look what's coming down the pipe' school rather than 'this is what I want to happen'. There is a real streak of pessimism running through it and many have realised that they can't do much but pour a stiff scotch and hope for the best. Most of my thinking inclines to that stance. I think some cats have been let out of the bag and are running loose that bode ill for the latter part of this century.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:51 pm 

I don't think I've knowingly read an alt right thing in my life. It's possible I suppose. Seneca might have pointed me to something. I have no idea. I had a stab at some of the Dark Enlightenment stuff for a laugh. Some of it was interesting. Some of it was stupid.

I don't particularly care if people call me that. I barely know what it means.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm 

It is a shame that Australians, Kiwis, Canadians and other British diaspora are no longer really considered a family of Brits. As mentioned, Churchill would be ashamed. He even referenced that brotherhood in his 'never surrender speech'.

An Australian or Kiwi from a British background should have priority to live here even over a French bloke from Calais!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:02 pm 

Waratah wrote:
pontifex wrote:

Actually, I think it was with bazzamacca. At the place across from the pedestrian tunnel, down from the Strawberry Hills. I reckon 2005, rather than 2003. Those were the days. QP's antics surely got many of us hooked on this place back then.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 pm 

So really we have no definition of alt right, it's a nebulous term in reality referring to a rag tag bunch of rednecks, racists Trumpists and assorted far right and right wingers like SOTN, Taffcat, santa, bimbo and Ponti.
Much like trying to bunch lefties into a pigdeon hole tbh....

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:27 pm 

La soule wrote:
pontifex wrote:
I think this was a helpful thread. We now have a more or less 'official' standard definition of the alt-right, and some clarification from someone who actually identifies with the movement and probably has more familiarity with their thought than anyone else on the bored. We can see where the overlap is, and where there are differences. I would have thought that was in everyone's interests - know your enemy, keep your enemies in plain sight and all that. The problem is that the alt-right have been given a monopoly on certain things which are true, or at least seem true to a lot of people, and without open discussion of their ideas, the monopoly remains. We've seen (I believe) that the devil really is in the details, even for those who may be sympathetic in general.

I'm sympathetic to many of their theories which is not the same thing as identifying with them. But you can see just how difficult it is to have a sensible discussion about this (pretty important) stuff when you see the performance here of our Belgian friend. And why I mostly don't bother.

Trying to get the moral high ground now?

It has never stopped you before and is unlikely to stop you moving forward.

Any chance you could stop posting on this thread please?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 pm 

c69 wrote:
So really we have no definition of alt right, it's a nebulous term in reality referring to a rag tag bunch of rednecks, racists Trumpists and assorted far right and right wingers like SOTN, Taffcat, santa, bimbo and Ponti.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm 

fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Yes, sorry if you are offended

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 pm 

c69 wrote:

Looks like you sat on the record, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 pm 

c69 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Offended? No. I just don't want to have to put you on ignore as you say really funny things in about 1 out of every 1000 posts.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm 

fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Offended? No. I just don't want to have to put you on ignore as you say really funny things in about 1 out of every 1000 posts.

He's said 46 funny things?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Such numbers you could only dream of.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 pm 

Not sure I'd like to put the effort into making 46,000 posts, even if I could get 46 decent posts out of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Not sure I'd like to put the effort into making 46,000 posts, even if I could get 46 decent posts out of it.

Have you read his posts, there is more effort in squeezing one out after a night on the Guinness with a donner and hot sauce to finish.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:20 pm 

Sefton wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Have you read his posts, there is more effort in squeezing one out after a night on the Guinness with a donner and hot sauce to finish.

Fair dinkum.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm 

This, dear mods is why we can't have good threads. Look at what this individual has done to this one. And countless others over the years.
Made it interesting?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm 

englishchief wrote:
It is a shame that Australians, Kiwis, Canadians and other British diaspora are no longer really considered a family of Brits. As mentioned, Churchill would be ashamed. He even referenced that brotherhood in his 'never surrender speech'.

An Australian or Kiwi from a British background should have priority to live here even over a French bloke from Calais!

Churchill considered Australia part of the “family of Brits”? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 am 

Man In Black wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Oops, I confused him with Macctaff.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 am 

houtkabouter wrote:
So what do you we do about America, give it back to the Indians and go back to our white homeland in Europe?

No. That 'circle is squared' by differentiating between 'pioneers' and 'immigrants'. Ann Coulter and Steve Bannon do this too. Completely different thing moving into land inhabited by hunter / gatherer / primitive farmers and building a modern industrial nation from scratch, from just migrating into an already developed nation.

Don't shoot me - that's the distinction made.

Besides, where is the white homeland in Europe now? Chedder Man was black you know. England was full of Africans in Roman times and is a nation of immigrants. So we are told.

I think you’re right, there is no white homeland. We really should stop peddling this concept.

As a side note note, it does seem like they’re playing a game jenga to fit in the obvious flaws in their grand scheme.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 am 

fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

Alt right type are not too keen on personal freedom, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Fair dinkum.

TBH I use a scatter gun policy. Short Flurries of posting with little thought and no effort.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 am 

This is huge. Massive legal setback for the Alt-Right, as this precedent will likely affect many elite members fighting on the front line. If other countries follow the USA's lead, the movement could be finished.

Story here.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 am 

Bindi wrote:
This is huge. Massive legal setback for the Alt-Right, as this precedent will likely affect many elite members fighting on the front line. If other countries follow the USA's lead, the movement could be finished.

Story here.

Nah, they'll be fine - they'll just have to get their internet in cafes now. Their main fuel of anger will go up a notch too. Beware snowflake cucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 am 

La soule wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

You've contributed nothing but personal slurs. Why would you come on a thread you have no interest in and throw insults around.

Like I asked - any chance you can stop posting on this thread please?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am 

fatcat wrote:
La soule wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

You've contributed nothing but personal slurs. Why would you come on a thread you have no interest in and throw insults around.

This internet thing has become a serious business for you I see.

I'll think about it, OK?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

La soule wrote:
fatcat wrote:
La soule wrote:
fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:

This internet thing has become a serious business for you I see.

I'll think about it, OK?

Don't think on it too long on it. Life is too short. And fatcat is just a mouthy but thinskinned fúckstick in any event.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 pm 

Until now, never bothered even clicking on this thread as I have zero to do with the "alt right" and zero interest in them. Imagine my bemusement to see I'd been name-dropped in the OP.

Some people are seriously clueless.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Until now, never bothered even clicking on this thread as I have zero to do with the "alt right" and zero interest in them. Imagine my bemusement to see I'd been name-dropped in the OP.

That's exactly what an alt-right poster would say.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm 

penguin wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

What qualifies one as "alt right"?

I suspect having a vaguely original political ideology. As opposed to one that is a carbon copy of some other "team left" or "team right" or "team libertarian" ideology that are so unoriginal and adhere so strictly to same narrow identity-politics group-think definition, that you can easily guess every single view that a person holds by knowing just one of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm 

See this is what I'm talking about.

If you go to this story and watch the video:

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7536655/r ... h-debunked

the most interesting thing is not the subject matter, but the very strange delivery method of the woman narrating it. It turns out it has a name: vocal fry:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... male-voice

So you would think it would be from some valley girl person, but the narration is by this woman:

Spoiler: show

A butch lesbian from Alabama, who mostly writes and blogs about utterly inane rap / hip hop shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgPk5T1xi0
https://www.filmindependent.org/blog/ex ... e-caswell/

What a fcking mess. None of this will end well.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
penguin wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

I suspect having a vaguely original political ideology. As opposed to one that is a carbon copy of some other "team left" or "team right" or "team libertarian" ideology that are so unoriginal and adhere so strictly to same narrow identity-politics group-think definition, that you can easily guess every single view that a person holds by knowing just one of them.

Don't take that reply from me seriously, I was just pissing around.

People better positioned than myself have tried to define it somewhat on this thread if you dig around.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
penguin wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

There's very little that's original about the guiding philosophy of the alt-right, which is explicitly white-nationalist, incorporating anti-semitism, neo-nazism, nativism and good old fashioned racism dressed up as something virtuous and reactionary. A good example of this is its description by one of its supposed leaders, Richard Spencer, as 'identity politics for whites'. The only thing that is new in that is the spurious idea that it's a response to the growth of identity politics, rather than a thin excuse for good old fashioned racists and bigots to pretend they are something more noble or important than old fashioned racists and bigots.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 pm 

See this is what I'm talking about.

If you go to this story and watch the video:

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7536655/r ... h-debunked

the most interesting thing is not the subject matter, but the very strange delivery method of the woman narrating it. It turns out it has a name: vocal fry:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... male-voice

So you would think it would be from some valley girl person, but the narration is by this woman:

Spoiler: show

A butch lesbian from Alabama, who mostly writes and blogs about utterly inane rap / hip hop shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgPk5T1xi0
https://www.filmindependent.org/blog/ex ... e-caswell/

What a fcking mess. None of this will end well.

Joe Rogan does, like, an excellent impression of that, like, trendy SJW voice, y'know ...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 pm 

Waratah wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
penguin wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

There's very little that's original about the guiding philosophy of the alt-right, which is explicitly white-nationalist, incorporating anti-semitism, neo-nazism, nativism and good old fashioned racism dressed up as something virtuous and reactionary. A good example of this is its description by one of its supposed leaders, Richard Spencer, as 'identity politics for whites'. The only thing that is new in that is the spurious idea that it's a response to the growth of identity politics, rather than a thin excuse for good old fashioned racists and bigots to pretend they are something more noble or important than old fashioned racists and bigots.

Yeah well I'm definitely not one of them then. Whatever fat white western people need, it's definitely not an egocentric, identity-driven political movement fighting for their allegedly infringed-upon rights.

That's my 2c.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm 

Quote:

Joe Rogan does, like, an excellent impression of that, like, trendy SJW voice, y'know ...

It's strange, they do it, but then they appear to hate themselves for doing it. That's some raging cognitive dissonance going on right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next