Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am 

I'd hang the DJ, that's for sure.

Cities themselves are now such a central component of our culture that almost everything about our mass culture is urban, and perhaps as a result, increasingly generic.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am 

pontifex wrote:
La soule wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:
One of the reasons I hold the positions I do, by the way, is that I love genuine cultural diversity. I see American cultural imperialism as a huge threat to that, and I see increasingly homogeneous cities across Europe and the world. I also see reactionary movements like radical Islam as a response to American cultural imperialism - you only have to read Qutb, or what they're saying now, to see that.

The EU has a lot to answer for in terms of a homogeneous Europe. Probably more so than the Yanks culture.

His initial point about homogeneous cities in Europe is wrong.

Really? Apart from the historical relics (it's true that they haven't started bulldozing them yet), most of western Europe, particularly among young western Europeans, seems to be becoming more and more similar, in precisely the way Mogg outlined above. Aside from the historical landmarks, I find the centres of major cities virtually indistinguishable. Some people view this as a positive 'coming together', while I view it as a tragedy. Even youth subcultures seem to be disappearing under the weight of conformity.

Yes, really. I have lived in four different capitals in Europe, outside of my native country for substantial period of time and do not recognise this at all.

Quote:
Where the cities of Europe do diverge of course, and where their vibrancy is so diverse is as follows: Berlin has Turks, Stockholm Syrians, Brussells Moroccans, Paris Senegalese, Marseilles Algerians, Rome Eritreans, Birmingham Pakistanis, and London a glorious mixture of everything. Vive la Difference! . . . as long as they don't come too close to La Defense, or Canary Wharf. Everyone's a winner: exoticism and familiarity in one moccyfashionedtini. I'll drink to that.

You are really sick aren't you?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:24 am 

La soule wrote:
pontifex wrote:
La soule wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:
One of the reasons I hold the positions I do, by the way, is that I love genuine cultural diversity. I see American cultural imperialism as a huge threat to that, and I see increasingly homogeneous cities across Europe and the world. I also see reactionary movements like radical Islam as a response to American cultural imperialism - you only have to read Qutb, or what they're saying now, to see that.

The EU has a lot to answer for in terms of a homogeneous Europe. Probably more so than the Yanks culture.

His initial point about homogeneous cities in Europe is wrong.

Really? Apart from the historical relics (it's true that they haven't started bulldozing them yet), most of western Europe, particularly among young western Europeans, seems to be becoming more and more similar, in precisely the way Mogg outlined above. Aside from the historical landmarks, I find the centres of major cities virtually indistinguishable. Some people view this as a positive 'coming together', while I view it as a tragedy. Even youth subcultures seem to be disappearing under the weight of conformity.

Yes, really. I have lived in four different capitals in Europe, outside of my native country for substantial period of time and do not recognise this at all.

Quote:
Where the cities of Europe do diverge of course, and where their vibrancy is so diverse is as follows: Berlin has Turks, Stockholm Syrians, Brussells Moroccans, Paris Senegalese, Marseilles Algerians, Rome Eritreans, Birmingham Pakistanis, and London a glorious mixture of everything. Vive la Difference! . . . as long as they don't come too close to La Defense, or Canary Wharf. Everyone's a winner: exoticism and familiarity in one moccyfashionedtini. I'll drink to that.

You are really sick aren't you?

I am a RACIST! :shock: I notice stuff. Poor you. Have a lie down.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:29 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

it's not quite up there with Spike Milligan's as an epitaph, but it has a certain something.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 am 

Ah, you see "stuff". You remind me of those chaps that you find in some squares preaching the bible and the end of the world out loud while hundreds of people literally walk pass them, trying to ignore them.

I do admire your dedication though.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:

I think it's a mix of everything. Plus cheap long distance travel.

I don't like the Euro either. It was cool travelling around before when everyone had their own weird money. Although I don't think the SEK or NOK are going anywhere soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am 

La soule wrote:

Ah, you see "stuff". You remind me of those chaps that you find in some squares preaching the bible and the end of the world out loud while hundreds of people literally walk pass them, trying to ignore them.

So why are you doing such a piss poor job of ignoring me then?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am 

La soule wrote:

You are very loud.

And I like you.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 am 

La soule wrote:
La soule wrote:

You are very loud.

And I like you.

You're a stalking moron is what you are.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:

I don't like the Euro either. It was cool travelling around before when everyone had their own weird money. Although I don't think the SEK or NOK are going anywhere soon.

SEK will soon become the e-Krona, as far as I understand. As much as I'm a fan of cryptocurrencies, the abolition of cash is deeply concerning.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 pm 

La soule wrote:
La soule wrote:

You are very loud.

And I like you.

Nauseating love-fest.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 pm 

La soule wrote:
La soule wrote:

You are very loud.

And I like you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_msdQnY4Ocg

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 pm 

pontifex wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:

SEK will soon become the e-Krona, as far as I understand. As much as I'm a fan of cryptocurrencies, the abolition of cash is deeply concerning.

It's the first I've heard about that. Although it's true that already it's a very cashless society. Takes a bit of getting used to. It's not unusual (although not the majority either) for places just to not even take cash. Especially night spots (where it is easily the majority).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:28 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
pontifex wrote:

It's the first I've heard about that. Although it's true that already it's a very cashless society. Takes a bit of getting used to. It's not unusual (although not the majority either) for places just to not even take cash. Especially night spots (where it is easily the majority).

Damaging for the black economy. I am not a fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:56 pm 

Here we go, finally the analysis we needed on the rise of Trump and his association with the alt-right, from the perspective of an historian of esotericism, who was also the bassist for blondie:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Star-Rising ... 7342736076

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7