Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:05 pm 

So, I have an upcoming largish purchase coming up that I’d rather not dip into savings to pay for. Have seen lots of credit card adverts for up to 30 months interest free on purchases.

However from online searching I’m not sure how many of these in total you can have at once, or with same bank. Back in the day of free balance transfers I was a card tart and had about seven in a row, never once paying interest.

I have no debt apart from mortgage, and my credit rating is good.
Truthful factual concise relevant info from someone knowledgable about current uk retail banking, most welcome.

Last edited by backrow on Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm 

at the risk of doing a Globby, how large is large?

I ask because it's also worth considering where you'll get the most bang for your buck in terms of cashback or air miles, depending on which card you go with and what's more attractive to you.

Amex had an offer through BA recently that gave 10,000 Avios when you signed up to their credit card and spend a certain amount on the first 3 months.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm 

About 12k - a sum large enough for me not to have that in cash in a ‘rainy day’ fund.

My plan is to get a zero percent for 30 months card , pay off say 200 a month without really noticing it, and at the end have the amount down to an amount I could probably pay off with what I keep for a rainy day. It’s all just a way of me paying for a big one off, without really noticing it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 pm 

The challenge with a purchase of that much and the zero % cards is getting a credit limit that big off the bat, if it's someone you bank with a lot or you have a massive wage with no outgoings you may be able, but those and the balance tsf cards are the ones they don't want to give too much free credit for.

I churn through all the points cards and at one point had 5 different cards with a total credit limit of about £20K, but that was spread out.

Other option is a loan, which are still pretty cheap - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans - for 12K of borrowing you're talking less than £400.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

Ta

There is zero way I will take out a loan for this, I would rather dip into savings . The 12k cost is in fact similar to my credit limit on my existing cards, all of which although have zero balance (yay) have also long since passed there zero percent for purchases opening offer (boo)

There is no way of knowing if I will get the same amount of balance again of course.

Oh, and where the fudge is that bell Globus , on a thread where his opinion would actually be perhaps of interest.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:03 pm 

backrow wrote:
About 12k - a sum large enough for me not to have that in cash in a ‘rainy day’ fund.

My plan is to get a zero percent for 30 months card , pay off say 200 a month without really noticing it, and at the end have the amount down to an amount I could probably pay off with what I keep for a rainy day. It’s all just a way of me paying for a big one off, without really noticing it.

I have a 7k, 6k, 3k and 25k (no I didn't ask for that much) and still have a 3k overdraft facility on my bank account from when I left uni and they gave it to you automatically. They've been accumulated over 20 years, all clear. If you suddenly start asking for loads of credit cards that will affect your credit rating, it will show up on your records and look like you're having money issues. FWIW the 25k is MBNA, started out as a Virgin credit card, I'm not sure what the starting amount was. It would be worth looking at which you think will give you a decent limit and just go with one. Perhaps your own bank if you've got a good history with them.

Alternatively get one as large as you can and then use the rainy day for the rest now rather than later.

I bought my car on one, good for section 75 cover.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am 

I am always moving onto new zero interest cards and use Martin Lewis site for advice - last one gave me £6,500 when opening up account. Sainsbury card. I reckon a couple of these would cover it without any problem with applications, credit rating, etc?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 am 

I still have log-in access to Experian. I used to work with them. Slightly annoyed. Had a look this morning and my rating has not dropped but it's still not got to the top despite an impeccable record.

Must try harder.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am 

Sigh

I un ignored your post Globus just because I thought you might have something relevant to the question in the OP that would helpful and relevant and maybe not about yourself.
You just can’t it yourself can you?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 pm 

Update to this highly riveting tale

Did it online , got accepted, coincidentally with another 12k credit limit as per the other card I have with Tesco. Job done.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:23 pm 

backrow wrote:
Sigh

I un ignored your post Globus just because I thought you might have something relevant to the question in the OP that would helpful and relevant and maybe not about yourself.

I'm a bloke who used to do this sort of thing.

We bought a rating system from "Mercantile Credit" and spent years modifying it.

I built the system that was the "report back" facility, which told us when a credit decision was not a good one.

It was fed back to change the ratings. But you'd probably know all about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 pm 

globus wrote:
backrow wrote:
Sigh

I'm a bloke who used to do this sort of thing.

We bought a rating system from "Mercantile Credit" and spent years modifying it.

I built the system that was the "report back" facility, which told us when a credit decision was not a good one.

It was fed back to change the ratings. But you'd probably know all about that.

I know you used to do this, amongst other things - and yet you still fail to attempt to answer the question about how many cards can you have, you still drone on about yourself instead.
I never worked in retail banking so never claimed to know much about this topic. You are choosing to waffle on about yourself yet again and not even remotely try to be ‘a rugby man’ or offer anything remotely resembling helpfulness. This is just another addition to ‘Globus proves he’s a twat’ file I’m afraid, and I gave you every olive branch chance to be helpful and nice and normal.

Ratings can be a crock of shite, same as audits - Enron , carillion, CDO’s and other financial WMD were all rated highly and got a big green tick, right up until they went pop. But you would probably know all about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

The biggest surprise from this thread is that Yeeb can't afford to meet a small amount like £12k in cash.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

I'm quite convinced you are poser, Yeeb.

What a lot of trifle. Get on with your life and stay out of mine.

I have invited you and you family to my lovely home and Town. You have insulted me and my wife.

You deserve very little in your life from our perspective.

Go on. Take the risk. I don't think you are up to it. Just a loudmouth.

If you want to visit Oundle, my wife and I will make sure you will have a good time.

But. I reckon you might be a dodgy character. We are not.

Put up, or shut up.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 pm 

Lobby wrote:
The biggest surprise from this thread is that Yeeb can't afford to meet a small amount like £12k in cash.

this

so much for PRs real estate baron

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

I won't bother with the others.

They are for international travel.

Including a rather good Santander card, which you will never get.

Because you won't because it's no longer available.

I've your name, address and can access your credit rating.

But I will do no such thing as it is not my modus operandi.

Try and have a bit of respect. This is a Rugby site. You may not like my style but I'm honest, despite the liar allegations.

I also have a beautiful wife.

Golly, imagine if you didn't have the hide of a rhinoceros

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:41 pm 

globus wrote:

I have invited you and you family to my lovely home and Town. You have insulted me and my wife.

If you want to visit Oundle, my wife and I will make sure you will have a good time.

Put up, or shut up.

Why would random internet people you have never met and at various times insulted possibly want to go and visit you?

Why would your wife be happy at the prospect of having to entertain random internet people in her home?

Why, given that you are already best mates with everyone who has appeared in Who's Who would you want to waste time meeting random internet people?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:41 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Lobby wrote:

this

He's Ok I reckon. Possibly. For fun, I've looked up the available cash on my credit cards. It runs into a few figures.

They keep increasing the limit.

The latest was ridiculous. I'm not letting thieves get a hold on a pile of dosh.

Goodbye American Express. I can get by without you. Sent a stinking mail to them. Expect not a lot.

And this from a black card centurion holder.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:

Put up, or shut up.

Why would random internet people you have never met and at various times insulted possibly want to go and visit you?

Why would your wife be happy at the prospect of having to entertain random internet people in her home?

Why, given that you are already best mates with everyone who has appeared in Who's Who would you want to waste time meeting random internet people?

Because we like people, especially rugby chaps and wives. Only ever met a dodgy one once and he was after "The Management". His wife had legged it and I don't blame her. He was seriously into the spirits. I rescued him once from a ditch.

I am not odd in any way. Been on here for years. I love to meet people. That's rugby. I like to entertain. I'm writing a bit of nonsense at the mo. The brain never stops.

Did the cryptic today and was just short of my record. The Roland has blown a fuse and I'm awaiting a call from the USA.

But just had a lovely pic of the twins and M.

Let's go with "eccentric". Happy with that. I used to know Vivian Stanshall, so I'm in good company.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Lobby wrote:

this

12k is still a fair wedge of cash though, I prefer my monies actually doing something not sat in an account earning a couple of percent. If I can use someone else’s money, at no expense, I will.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:04 pm 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:

Put up, or shut up.

Because we like people, especially rugby chaps and wives. Only ever met a dodgy one once and he was after "The Management". His wife had legged it and I don't blame her. He was seriously into the spirits. I rescued him once from a ditch.

I am not odd in any way. Been on here for years. I love to meet people. That's rugby. I like to entertain. I'm writing a bit of nonsense at the mo. The brain never stops.

Did the cryptic today and was just short of my record. The Roland has blown a fuse and I'm awaiting a call from the USA.

Let's go with "eccentric". Happy with that. I used to know Vivian Stanshall, so I'm in good company.

You are very odd and I would guess, very lonely, all a bit tragic really.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

All the dosh, after being able to live, goes to the kiddiwinks and grand kiddiwinks.

I see no point in anything else. I say that with enormous pride.

They give so much in return. Got M on the recorder now. She is going to be a star.

I got the family violin out and had the bow restrung. I wanted horsehair. I have a lovely new case as well.

She will struggle for a bit, as I did. My daughter's a very good cellist.

Have a go. At everything. It's the very epitome of being a rugy player.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm 

globus wrote:
All the dosh, after being able to live, goes to the kiddiwinks and grand kiddiwinks.

They give so much in return. Got M on the recorder now. She is going to be a star.

I got the family violin out and had the bow restrung. I wanted horsehair. I have a lovely new case as well.

Would you rather be very good at a few things or mediocre at many?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

Try and have a bit of respect. This is a Rugby site. You may not like my style but I'm honest, despite the liar allegations.

That’s quite a nasty implied threat regarding Yeeb’s personal financial details. I would suspect that it would be quite illegal to access that without his permission.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:

Put up, or shut up.

You are very odd and I would guess, very lonely, all a bit tragic really.

No. I'm happy to send you my calling card. Lonely? You have to be joking. My wife would have a right laugh at that.

It says more about you than me.

I'm forming a band at the moment. Done it before but I'm getting on in life.

A bit of tension with the bassist but I think I've got him onside now. Lots of issues with music choices.

We are called Abandon. My idea. If we do a recording, I shall put it up.

Do tell of your exploits.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm 

Thread Globussed :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 pm 

Yet another example of Globby never lying, playing the man not the ball, or being insulting to fellow posters.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:36 pm 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

That’s quite a nasty implied threat regarding Yeeb’s personal financial details. I would suspect that it would be quite illegal to access that without his permission.

No. I've said I would do no such thing. And I won't. You do not seem to understand how these things work.

Credit companies share information. That's why they try and keep the nasties out. And stop fraud.

They do not need "permission". In itself that is quite against what they are trying to do.

But I bet you are an expert in Data Protection and Credit Checking.

And I have not threatened Yeeb that I would post his credentials at all. I'd never do that. Not interested.

Might be a good thought to leave here. It's no longer the comfy lounge of rugby fans.

We shall consider.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 pm 

crash 669 wrote:
Yet another example of Globby never lying, playing the man not the ball, or being insulting to fellow posters.

It's a hard road.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 pm 

Pretty much, scarface - my name is unusual so he probably can do this if he so chose. Not the first time he has done threats like this tbf , worst thing I ever did on here was to mail him with a question re a particular city role (which iirc he either didn’t reply to or was no help with at all)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:41 pm 

How very unrugby of globus to act like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm 

backrow wrote:
Pretty much, scarface - my name is unusual so he probably can do this if he so chose. Not the first time he has done threats like this tbf , worst thing I ever did on here was to mail him with a question re a particular city role (which iirc he either didn’t reply to or was no help with at all)

I'd never do that Yeeb. And you know it.

I know who you are, you know who I am. I have been identified on the forum in name and duty. You have not.

But I do not moan about it. I have no real problem with my real name being in the open. I haver never put your's up there.

And will never do. I'm just not like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm 

globus wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

No. I've said I would do no such thing. And I won't. You do not seem to understand how these things work.

Credit companies share information. That's why they try and keep the nasties out. And stop fraud.

They do not need "permission". In itself that is quite against what they are trying to do.

But I bet you are an expert in Data Protection and Credit Checking.

And I have not threatened Yeeb that I would post his credentials at all. I'd never do that. Not interested.

Might be a good thought to leave here. It's no longer the comfy lounge of rugby fans.

We shall consider.

I'm no expert in data but under the new GDPR rules you, and the company that left you with that login and access to those details, would be done hard if you ever accessed his data without his permission.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:45 pm 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

Yes, unlawfully obtaining and disclosing personal data, would be a breach of s55 of the Data Protection Act 1998. There are several instances of people who have done this being prosecuted, although generally the fines aren't very high, usually just a few £k, including costs. After Friday, when GDPR comes into force, there will be a series of criminal offences related to the unlawful handling of personal data, and it is likely that the potential fines for this could be considerably more.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 pm 

globus wrote:
backrow wrote:

I'd never do that Yeeb. And you know it.

I know who you are, you know who I am. I have been identified on the forum in name and duty. You have not.

But I do not moan about it. I have no real problem with my real name being in the open. I haver never put your's up there.

And will never do. I'm just not like that.

you'll just put his photo up instead :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 pm 

SFBB wrote:
How very unrugby of globus to act like this.

Wot? I know who he is, I have been personally named, but never let on his identity.

And have no intention of doing so. Nor will I bother with his credit rating. That would be very wrong. I'm not that kind of bloke.

There's lots I can do as a result of work I did but I'm off the pace these days. Grandchildren and trying to get to playing a sax are priorities.

I've never ratted on anyone on here but a few have ratted on me.

If you play 10, you accept the damage.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm 

Lobby wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:
Barclaycard
Mastercard
John Lewis

Yes, unlawfully obtaining and disclosing personal data, would be a breach of s55 of the Data Protection Act 1998. There are several instances of people who have done this being prosecuted, although generally the fines aren't very high, usually just a few £k, including costs. After Friday, when GDPR comes into force, there will be a series of criminal offences related to the unlawful handling of personal data, and it is likely that the potential fines for this could be considerably more.

Well keep going. I've been doing this stuff since about 1977. Of course the goalposts are shifting.

My point is that I shall NEVER disclose Yeeb's identity without his permission, nor access his credit rating. That would be an appalling breach of the code I live by.

You haven't got it quite right. But hey ho.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:57 pm 

globus wrote:

Yes we know all that, you have told us countless times ad-nauseum.
It's all really rather sad.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:57 pm 

A proper rugby bloke would never posture and threaten like you have. Extremely unbecoming, and very disappointing for somebody who considers himself a pillar of his community. You should be concerned with how you represent your sport and your little society you allege to be on the council of. I’m sure the people of Oundel deserve a bit more than what you’re giving.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next