Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 am 

guy smiley wrote:
We don't really do pubs well, do we?

Same over here... it's hard to find a really good little pub that fits like an armchair. The SH is more about the beerbarn.

The actual pub is rare. NE Scotland most of the pubs are tiny. 20 people and they'd be pretty full.

MteP above cited the Lord Nelson in Sydney, lovely building and bizzarely I had some excellent canned seafood there a few weeks ago! The Soldier Of Fortune down the road is pretty cool as well.

I think we do do a great thing that's not a pub and not a beer barn though - really high quality bars that don't feel at all like an armchair but have a great vibe and are excellent at doing very good beer and food. LBQ, Goldings, GP on Aro St, the Panhead etc. precinct in Upper Hutt, Hop Garden, etc. in Wellington. Glassblowers in Melbourne, 4 Pines in Manly.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
frillage wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:
If you make it to Dunedin, get in touch and I can take you for a ride down the peninsula on the back of my bike.

I'll 100% be making it to Dunedin as it's one of the places I've always wanted to go! Just been looking at google images of it now.

With the smile from that avatar, your offer wouldn't happen to be a euphemism? :lol:

No euphemism, no.

Easy enough to bolt the pillion seat on.

It's a pretty neat way to enjoy the countryside IMO.

Don't feel obliged to, I'm happy enough to meet up for a quiet beer.

Not a euphemism, but he only needs the pillion for the ride to the peninsula!

I'll certainly take you up on the beer!

I haven't been on a motorbike since I crashed one in Cambodia (about 20 mins after the first 2017 Lions - AB test concluded) so will have to banish the fear!

Are there any old school pubs in Dunedin? I am hoping they have also replicated the Edinburgh pubs. .

It's pretty hard not to like the Stadium Bar in the Octagon. A shrine utterly dedicated to rugby, and I have fond memories of a decent four hour session there ahead of the All Blacks' 46-6 win over Wales in 2016.

As for really old school numbers, try the Albert Arms on George St.

The real must try though is Emerson's Brewery near Forsyth Barr Stadium (home of The Highlanders). They brew outstanding beers and have a big shiny new brewery bar that does it justice.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am 

Hi bro
I live just out of Te Anau on a farm , just come park up , plug in and do some washing wifi etc . Good base to do proper forest walks .. no one out forests fiordland

Haven’t read all the fred yet but am guessing some cove has suggested I’m a red neck double brown drinking Harley riding psycho ... in my defence .. whatever ...just park in the back yard and don’t pat the dog .

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro
I live just out of Te Anau on a farm , just come park up , plug in and do some washing wifi etc . Good base to do proper forest walks .. no one out forests fiordland

Haven’t read all the fred yet but am guessing some cove has suggested I’m a red neck double brown drinking Harley riding psycho ... in my defence .. whatever ...just park in the back yard and don’t pat the dog .

I thought you were near Glenorchy or am I thinking of another poster?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am 

Andalu wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro

Mr Bungle.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 am 

Andalu wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro

You’re thinking of another unfunny arse, me. But I only holiday there.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
usermame wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Marton truly epitomises the (not so) rural Kiwi former service town cum intellectual mecca, Its no wonder it was on the shortlist for NZs most beautiful town in 1983.

Well I'm happy to hear that. I have a soft spot for the place after my 2nd cousin showed me how to ride his motor cycle on his farm there when I must have been, oh, at least 9 or 10. I was always a bit miffed a tractor rolled on him.

I remember a newspaper headline from years ago, after a tractor rolled on an AB forward (can't remember who it was)

"Tractor damaged when rolling on All Black forward".

Might have been Ken Gray.

Ken Gray farmed in Plimmerton I think. Marton is flat - how does a tractor roll on someone there? But I think Jazz Muller might have ended up there from memory.

Yeah, I met his brother a few years back and he told me the family had basically owned all the land on the eastern side of SH1 from Plimmerton to Pukerua Bay.

Yeah I spent lots of time in pkb. We used to mission onto their farm and camp in a valley getting pissed as teenagers.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm 

Shit this thread is making me want to do a South Island tour again.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:14 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Shit this thread is making me want to do a South Island tour again.

Might be attending a wedding in Qtown next NZ summer and I'm actually excited as I'll do a mini tiki tour around the area if it goes ahead. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:33 pm 

Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro

I thought you were pretty metrosexualist when you were in Sydney. Fitted right in! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 pm 

Watch out for that Hareaway. He's a red neck double brown drinking Harley riding psycho...

Seriously though, take him up and SG up on their offers.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:43 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro

I thought you were pretty metrosexualist when you were in Sydney. Fitted right in! :lol:

I’m just a rugger chap , who likes other rugby lads

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 am 

Hareaway wrote:

Alan Jones?! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 pm 

Hareaway wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Hi bro

I remember you telling me that right before you asked if this rag smelled like chloroform.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am 

Caley, don't book accommodation for Dunedin if you're staying nights, we have a self-contained flat above a separate garage here that you're welcome to. Peaceful coastal views and about 15 minutes from the city centre.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 am 

SilverGrin wrote:
Caley, don't book accommodation for Dunedin if you're staying nights, we have a self-contained flat above a separate garage here that you're welcome to. Peaceful coastal views and about 15 minutes from the city centre.

That is extremely kind of you, SilverGrin, and I may well take you up on the offer.

Naturally, payment could be in the form of getting pissed around Dunedin.

I'll have firmer dates once I've drafted up the itinerary- just waiting on the deadly Lonely Planet guide appearing so I can flesh out my skeleton plans!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:17 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:

That is extremely kind of you, SilverGrin, and I may well take you up on the offer.

I'll have firmer dates once I've drafted up the itinerary- just waiting on the deadly Lonely Planet guide appearing so I can flesh out my skeleton plans!

SilverGrin does a great roast pork and his cheese scones aren't bad either.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:

That's manly man and not manly man in the one sentence.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:

He's a well balanced individual.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:

I trust these weren't served up on the same plate . . Highly unorthodox combo. Unless, the scone was doubling up as a bread in an artisinal sandwich?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

I trust these weren't served up on the same plate . . Highly unorthodox combo. Unless, the scone was doubling up as a bread in an artisinal sandwich?

He's well-balanced and sensible. These were on two different occasions - we used to live a few doors away from each other.

Terribly fast drinker though.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:51 am 

If you've a day or two in Christchurch, I think you said you've a friend here? can I recommend this sea kayaking:

https://www.pohatu.co.nz/Sea+Kayaking.html

It's loverly drive over to Akaroa, you can do a bit of a circuit and the high road has some great veiws. And then for the sea kayaking it wasn't so much as the penguins I enjoying was getting up within a few meters of seals in the wild, watching them as they watched you...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
If you've a day or two in Christchurch, I think you said you've a friend here? can I recommend this sea kayaking:

https://www.pohatu.co.nz/Sea+Kayaking.html

It's loverly drive over to Akaroa, you can do a bit of a circuit and the high road has some great veiws. And then for the sea kayaking it wasn't so much as the penguins I enjoying was getting up within a few meters of seals in the wild, watching them as they watched you...

Cheers, Flockwitt.

That has been added onto my Google map favourites. Both islands are now a sea of pin dropped locations.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 am 

Well if any of the local members of this parish are up for a mini-cabal it's about time I reared my ugly head and will be likely up for something :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 am 

I'm likely to be up for that if I'm in town.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 am 

Hopefully can coordinate down the track a bit then :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:37 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

He's well-balanced and sensible. These were on two different occasions - we used to live a few doors away from each other.

Terribly fast drinker though.

Could do with a bloody hair cut

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:09 pm 

If I was in Queenstown next summer for a wedding, what are the best options for accommodation? Stay out of town? Airbnb?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm 

Roughly what date over summer?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Roughly what date over summer?

I'm assuming Jan/Feb but the dates aren't set yet. Could be March even.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6