Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Homer wrote:
Poshprop wrote:
I've played on the artificial pitch at the Arms Park a couple of times and had no problems there. One lad had a nasty face rash from being dragged along the surface though. I have also played on rock hard grounds in Zimbabwe and here in September and May and lost way more skin on those. Don't think the artificial pitches are too much of a concern for anyone apart from the moneyed clubs and they have the resources to make them work. The main bonus of the artificial pitch is you never have to worry about the game being off

The other big advantage of an artificial turf pitch is that you can use it multiple times a day, every day of the week if you so wish...

It does reduce the lifespan though.

From a business point of view, I've been told that Worcester essentially rent theirs out 6 days a week to a 5 a side league. Makes for a nice, constant income stream.

Sarries can't do that because of the public use of the stadium as part of their agreement with the council.

Yep, usually five a side teams waiting for our mixed ability group to finish. It's great for that group to be able to train on a pro pitch in a stadium, otherwise impossible.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
The biggest complaint Scarlets seem to have is the fact that the surface they played on in Glasgow has caused "inconvenient" injuries which is hindering the training regime coming up to a big game, where players are strictly speaking available but can't train fully due to burns/blisters etc

Jonny McNichol is less than complimentary, but polite.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44208537

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:28 am 

kiap wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
The stuff above ground is natural grass.

Not quite.

Most of it, of course, is but the reinforcing fibres also extend a few centimetres above ground. It's hybrid turf, but it works well.

I should have said it is effectively natural grass for the players.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 am 

Poshprop wrote:
I've played on the artificial pitch at the Arms Park a couple of times and had no problems there. One lad had a nasty face rash from being dragged along the surface though. I have also played on rock hard grounds in Zimbabwe and here in September and May and lost way more skin on those. Don't think the artificial pitches are too much of a concern for anyone apart from the moneyed clubs and they have the resources to make them work. The main bonus of the artificial pitch is you never have to worry about the game being off

I used to wear a pair of boots with small moulded studs in the pre-season here in Brisbane purely because every ground was essentially dirt coloured concrete. I once played in a Sevens tournament in February and nearly had to have skin grafts to my legs after being dragged down the pitch.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
The biggest complaint Scarlets seem to have is the fact that the surface they played on in Glasgow has caused "inconvenient" injuries which is hindering the training regime coming up to a big game, where players are strictly speaking available but can't train fully due to burns/blisters etc

Jonny McNichol is less than complimentary, but polite.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44208537

And yet the Glasgow players have no issues from it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44221143