Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am 

Special OPs guys are overrated. How many near death survival stories they tell fighting goat farmers?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Watching The Punisher at the moment and in one scene one of the characters describes the US military as "the finest fighting force in the world". Got me wondering, how true is that? Are american soldiers the best in the world? The best ever? The GOAT of soldiers. Say 20 US soldiers against 20 IDF soldiers, who would win? Always just assumed American soldiers were "better" because they had better resources to depend on. Better tech and whatnot.

Total c**ts but I would place my bet on the Israelis.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am 

towny wrote:
shanky wrote:
Thinly disguised ‘I go drinking with SpecOps guys’ posting

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

F*ck you

I bet you’ve got a G-shock watch as well

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Special OPs guys are overrated. How many near death survival stories they tell fighting goat farmers?

Yeah. When I was in the Green MachineTM, only the shit soldiers from my battalion bothered with undergoing the easy training to be in special forces.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am 

A quick google search suggests:

1) either the US Navy Seals or the SAS are the best
2) most articles online are written by the yanks or the brits.

But let’s be fair, it’s the A Team

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am 

shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
shanky wrote:

F*ck you

pfft. That is sooooo 1998.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 am 

towny wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
shanky wrote:

F*ck you

THAT WAS THE JOKE M8

:x

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 am 

Turbogoat not been in yet? This is ominous.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am 

Its got to be those WW2 Japanese hold outs who kept the war going for 30+ years in whatever jungles they got left behind in. Hardcore!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 am 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Watching The Punisher at the moment and in one scene one of the characters describes the US military as "the finest fighting force in the world". Got me wondering, how true is that? Are american soldiers the best in the world? The best ever? The GOAT of soldiers. Say 20 US soldiers against 20 IDF soldiers, who would win? Always just assumed American soldiers were "better" because they had better resources to depend on. Better tech and whatnot.

Total c**ts but I would place my bet on the Israelis.

Having lived in Israel, I'd place my bets on the Americans. The IDF have a shitload of conscripts, a lot of whom don't want to be fighting and are just doing their years until they can fudge off and make plums of themselves as backpackers.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am 

And there was the sas guy at the embassy siege in London, hanging from a rope at a window through which he had thrown an incendiary? device which was slowly toasting him.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

Turbo: You ever served in an infantry unit, son?
Seneca: No, sir.

Turbo: Ever served in a forward area?

Turbo: Ever put your life in another man's hands and asked him to put his life in yours?

Turbo: We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 am 

He's holding forth on integrations over on the calculus thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am 

shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
shanky wrote:

F*ck you

THAT WAS THE JOKE M8

:x

I met a US marine who told me while he was stationed in the UK some of the local special forces lads invited his unit out for a "friendly" game of rugby. After getting the shit beaten out of him for 80 minutes he accepted his host's invitation to join them down't pub, where his counterpart ordered a pint, drank it in one shot, and then ate the entire glass afterwards.

I don't know if that qualifies as skilled, but...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 am 

Always imagined Turbogoat would be a cross between Quinn from Homeland and DiCaprio's character in Blood Diamond.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am 

Lacrobat wrote:

I met a US marine who told me while he was stationed in the UK some of the local special forces lads invited his unit out for a "friendly" game of rugby. After getting the shit beaten out of him for 80 minutes he accepted his host's invitation to join them down't pub, where his counterpart ordered a pint, drank it in one shot, and then ate the entire glass afterwards.

On a similar theme, my half brother was an artilleryman in the Aussie army, and his unit spent some time in Hawaii (must've been late 80s, early 90s?)

They played the Yanks at grid iron, and then rugby league. He *claimed* there weren't many Yanks at work the day after the league game....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 am 

Lacrobat wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

Did he give you a description of the bloke? And was he driving a WRX?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 am 

surprised this thread has not been swarmed anyway the answer is the irish rangers

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... on-6708316

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:04 am 

towny wrote:
assfly wrote:
How far back can we go?

Sparta?

Pfft

Thebes f*cked up the Spartans.

Thebes f**ked them up because of Sparta's need for tradition and reliance on their Slave state, superior numbers help too, by then Sparta had very few people who could provide enough bushels of wheat to actually be a soldier. Sparta were top dogs on land for centuries.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 am 

booji boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Do New Zealand special forces have to perform a haka before they wipe out an enemy base?

These days they probably do.

Hell I toured the Gallipolli landing area and the British guide said that the NZ Maori battalion captured a key defensive position on top of a ridge in a surprise attack and were so pleased with themselves they did a haka. Which wasn't the brightest idea as the noise alerted the Turkish defenders who brought in reinforcements and managed to repel the other allied attackers. Not sure if true, the passage of time, the fog of war and all that. One thing for sure. I bet you'd never find an account of this incident in a NZ military history record.

But just goes to show the haka has been around long before haka mania came about in the past 10-15 years.

Had the Maori even been permitted to fight for the empire by this stage of the war?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Not expert but I've heard in terms of special forces the SAS are the most skilled, but the Israeli special forces win on account of experience honing their craft.

I've heard from multiple military men that US soldiers have cards that say do not drink or gamble with British soldiers, largely because US soldiers are barely hand to hand trained, they are the give them a gun and fire meathead kind. Is this true or a tale that spread?

My mate told me about this in the early 90's when he based in Germany with the army. He explained it as the Brits could drink more and there would be a high possibility for a fight. When it came to a fight the Americans would either try to box or karate where as your average British squaddie wouldn't think twice about fighting with his face or any handy improvised weapons.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 am 

I was in a campsite on a tributary of the Amazon drinking cheap Brazilian spirits a little over a year ago and a British squaddie who'd been in Afghanistan and Iraq told us that without doubt the hardest cnts any of them saw were Czech special forces, who became almost a joke for their ludicrous feats of drinking and strength.

The Brits amused themselves by nicking the Italians' coffee, the Aussies marmite, and the Americans' roids, but didn't find the joke funny at all when everyone got their revenge by nicking the British tea.

Everyone loved the Germans, who are continuing to pay for last centuries crimes in all sorts of funny ways. In this case they built a brewery in Afghanistan and would deliver beer to everyone else. So the hijinks and pranks would stop when someone would yell out 'The Germans are here'.

So, true story, and the answer is the Czechs.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am 

Openside wrote:
Conscripts they may be but they are seeing active service...

I bet those rocks really smart.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am 

I was in a campsite on a tributary of the Amazon drinking cheap Brazilian spirits a little over a year ago and a British squaddie who'd been in Afghanistan and Iraq told us that without doubt the hardest cnts any of them saw were Czech special forces, who became almost a joke for their ludicrous feats of drinking and strength.

The Brits amused themselves by nicking the Italians' coffee, the Aussies marmite, and the Americans' roids, but didn't find the joke funny at all when everyone got their revenge by nicking the British tea.

Everyone loved the Germans, who are continuing to pay for last centuries crimes in all sorts of funny ways. In this case they built a brewery in Afghanistan and would deliver beer to everyone else. So the hijinks and pranks would stop when someone would yell out 'The Germans are here'.

So, true story, and the answer is the Czechs.

By contrast I was once drinking after hours in a bar/restaurant in Toulouse with a Danish Colonel and veteran of Yugoslavia of Kosovo who was emphatic that the British made the best soldiers. He also said it was hilarious if you put a tank in the way of Serbs that weren't expecting one to be there, and that he'd never encountered a Serbian soldier that was sober.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 am 

Poshprop wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Not expert but I've heard in terms of special forces the SAS are the most skilled, but the Israeli special forces win on account of experience honing their craft.

I've heard from multiple military men that US soldiers have cards that say do not drink or gamble with British soldiers, largely because US soldiers are barely hand to hand trained, they are the give them a gun and fire meathead kind. Is this true or a tale that spread?

My mate told me about this in the early 90's when he based in Germany with the army. He explained it as the Brits could drink more and there would be a high possibility for a fight. When it came to a fight the Americans would either try to box or karate where as your average British squaddie wouldn't think twice about fighting with his face or any handy improvised weapons.

You can drop the word squaddie from this sentence, its entirely superfluous

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am 

towny wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Who have you heard these things from? I think it's all tales.

It seems to me that 100% of Brits are convinced that the SAS are the best of the best whilst 100% of Americans consider Delta or the SEALs to be the best. Kiwis probably think their boys are among the top and Australians certainly think our SAS are the best. Is this a coincidence?

It's a nationalistic f*cking pissing contest.

Australia and NZ. :uhoh:

I always thought there SEALS, SAS and some French outfit (full of crazy ppl) are the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
booji boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Do New Zealand special forces have to perform a haka before they wipe out an enemy base?

Hell I toured the Gallipolli landing area and the British guide said that the NZ Maori battalion captured a key defensive position on top of a ridge in a surprise attack and were so pleased with themselves they did a haka. Which wasn't the brightest idea as the noise alerted the Turkish defenders who brought in reinforcements and managed to repel the other allied attackers. Not sure if true, the passage of time, the fog of war and all that. One thing for sure. I bet you'd never find an account of this incident in a NZ military history record.

But just goes to show the haka has been around long before haka mania came about in the past 10-15 years.

Had the Maori even been permitted to fight for the empire by this stage of the war?

Having read up on it (tonight) they had been based in Malta up to this point, training, but were brought in due to the high casualty rate at Gallipolli. This was their first front line engagement in the war.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am 

booji boy wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
booji boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Having read up on it (tonight) they had been based in Malta up to this point, training, but were brought in due to the high casualty rate at Gallipolli. This was their first front line engagement in the war.

Cheers, yeah very interesting read. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:
towny wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

It seems to me that 100% of Brits are convinced that the SAS are the best of the best whilst 100% of Americans consider Delta or the SEALs to be the best. Kiwis probably think their boys are among the top and Australians certainly think our SAS are the best. Is this a coincidence?

I always thought there SEALS, SAS and some French outfit (full of crazy ppl) are the best.

Foreign Legion?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am 

No mention of the back flipping, sharpened entrenching tool wielding Spetnaz?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am 

It’s either the yanks, who’d kick everyone’s arse, or if we’re ignoring access to technology then Al-Qaeda who’ve gained worldwide exposure with a cave and a few pocket knives.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:
towny wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Citroën?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 am 

eldanielfire wrote:

Probably do it after, like in the 7s.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Irish Rangers lead the way :smug: :thumbup:

At what? Not fighting the Germans?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm 

Members of the Maori Battalion who had fought in Greece perform a Haka for the King of Greece at Helwan, Egypt, June 1941.

KG

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwPQvf6cdF8

Maori Battalion, WWI - shows still of haka.

KG

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm 

shanky wrote:
Lacrobat wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

Did he give you a description of the bloke? And was he driving a WRX?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
towny wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Sounds like you get your opinions from movies - shame that Matt Damon never played a Selous Scout or you'd be no doubt cheering for them.
Kiwi military is pretty f*cking good. I'd back a company of their infantry against most - they've also got clinkers in their rat packs which is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:27 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
towny wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

With your deep knowledge of these outfits I think we can safely say you are correct.

Where is Turbo though - would love to hear his views?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next