Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am 

When?

Sat 26th May

Where?:

Aviva: Image

Ref:?

Leinster: tbc

Scarlets: tbc

Last edited by cubby boi on Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am 

Scarlets suffering badly from burns from artificial surface at semi final venue... have been unable to train, but hoping to all be available

John Barclay definately out. Halfpenney thought to be available this week.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am 

This is the thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:06 am 

You’re welcome

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am 

But don’t expect any sort of fancy shinanegans to be added to the OP. I don’t do dat tort of ting.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am 

where is this played, RDS ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am 

cubby boi wrote:
But don’t expect any sort of fancy shinanegans to be added to the OP. I don’t do dat tort of ting.

Not good enough

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am 

Akkerman wrote:
where is this played, RDS ?

Lansdowne Road

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am 

Quote:
Stuart Berry will follow in the footsteps of Nigel Owens and Romain Poite when he becomes only the fifth person to referee the final of the Guinness PRO14 between Leinster Rugby and Scarlets in Dublin on Saturday.

The South African referee will lead a team of neutral match officials for the match at the Aviva Stadium, with Marius Mitrea (Italy) and Mike Adamson (Scotland) appointed as Assistant Referees, while Neil Paterson (Scotland) will serve as the Television Match Official.

Berry, who became the first South African to referee in a major play-off match in Northern Hemisphere club rugby when he took charge of last weekend's semi-final between Leinster Rugby and Munster Rugby, joined the Guinness PRO14 Elite Referee Squad from Vodacom Super Rugby after the tournament expanded into South Africa last year.

Apart from his 13 appearances in the Guinness PRO14 this season, Berry has also refereed 26 Vodacom Super Rugby matches and 11 Tests. He made his debut at this level in the third round match between Ospreys and Munster Rugby.

"We are immensely proud of Stuart and we know he will represent South Africa with aplomb in Dublin on Saturday," said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.

"His appointment to the final of the Guinness PRO14 is well-deserved and we believe it underlines the fact that our entry into this exciting competition in the Northern Hemisphere had been a great success.

"We made many new rugby friends from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy, and I believe we also made our presence felt in this tough competition, in many ways.

"We'd like to wish Stuart and his colleagues well for Saturday's game, as well as Leinster Rugby and Scarlets, in what promises to be a great showcase and wonderful end to the Guinness PRO14 season."

Greg Garner, Elite Referee Manager of the Guinness PRO14 said: "These appointments are a significant step for the Guinness PRO14 in that we can balance the need for neutral officials with capability for our showpiece game.

"Stuart has refereed 13 games in the Championship this season which adds to his experience in Super Rugby and at international level.

"We have a number of goals when it comes to our match officials and creating a deeper pool of talent that extends across Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales is one of the top priorities. The addition of South African referees to the Guinness PRO14 has provided us with a broader roster to select from and allowed us to name an all-neutral panel of match officials for this weekend.

"It's very satisfying that in all six Guinness PRO14 Final Series games we have appointed fully neutral match official teams because in the past in the past referees have been brought in from England and France to officiate the Championship decider.

"In fact, only one referee appointment in the past eight Finals has been non-neutral. Stuart's selection is great news because he is used to the style of play in the Guinness PRO14 and will be more familiar with our Finalist teams."

Championship Final Referees:

2010: Chris White, RFU (Leinster Rugby v Ospreys Rugby)
2011: Nigel Owens, WRU (Munster Rugby v Leinster Rugby)
2012: Romain Poite, FFR (Leinster Rugby v Ospreys Rugby)
2013: John Lacey, IRFU (Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby)
2014: Nigel Owens, WRU (Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors)
2015: Nigel Owens, WRU (Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors)
2016: Nigel Owens, WRU (Connacht Rugby v Leinster Rugby)
2017: Nigel Owens, WRU (Scarlets v Munster Rugby)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 am 

So only 2 of the last 8 finals haven’t contained Leinster. Fair play, that’s some record. How many of those 8 did they win?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am 

cubby boi wrote:
So only 2 of the last 8 finals haven’t contained Leinster. Fair play, that’s some record. How many of those 8 did they win?

Two I think. Beat Glasgow and Ulster.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Confident for this one?

Think our boys will still be smarting after the no show in Europe, so there will definately be an improved determination this time.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am 

cubby boi wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Confident for this one?

Think our boys will still be smarting after the no show in Europe, so there will definately be an improved determination this time.

I'm always pessimistic.

Think the game will be close but Scarlets to win it this time.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 am 

cubby boi wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Confident for this one?

Our old lads are a bit pissed off that they never doubled up, and the young lads realise they can stamp their mark on that piece of history.
I don't think your boys stand a chance, as basically we are going to be as hungry as we were for the Euro semi.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 am 

Lock this turd of a thread please...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am 

Capital City of Ireland vs Town in Carmarthenshire
Top players coming back refreshed after being rested vs A squad full of players with burns, blisters and sores
Biggest budget in Pro 14 vs Budget in lower half of Pro 14 teams
Playing in home stadium across the road vs Having to travel for an away game
Hoards of home fans vs The odd few farmers who still have money left to travel after the semi

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 am 

Scarlets getting their excuses in early, pathetic.

Scarlets haven't beaten us this season, and I'd love if we did what we did to them in the last fixture again. Big ask coming off the back of a European triumph and the players look fatigued. I think we will edge it by about 5 though.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am 

Leinster in London wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Confident for this one?

Our old lads are a bit pissed off that they never doubled up, and the young lads realise they can stamp their mark on that piece of history.
I don't think your boys stand a chance, as basically we are going to be as hungry as we were for the Euro semi.

Yep, I’d agree that that is exactly what your boys will be thinking. Don’t think think we’ll be making it so easy this time though.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am 

Clive Simms wrote:
Top players coming back refreshed after being rested vs A squad full of players with burns, blisters and sores
Hoards of home fans vs The odd few farmers who still have money left to travel after the semi

We already thrashed you in the game that really mattered.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:

We already thrashed you in the game that really mattered.

Ye and you'll do it again with all known logic

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am 

Clive Simms wrote:

I've seen some comments that The Principality Stadium was being investigated by the PRO14 organisation to hold the final, but there was a possible event conflict. If true I presume that a year ago the stadium was still in negotiations re the big gigs that are being held there, i.e. Ed Sheeran/Stones/JayZ. I assume they wanted to this w/e free in case it was the only one that fitted the tour schedules.

If that is the case, well then obviously Wales did not want the game played in their country.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 am 

The Sun God wrote:

If someone was to threaten to reveal your bank details on here, then I’m sure that’ll work. Where is globus when you need him.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:36 am 

Token Weegie still heading over for the game, should be a good un hopefully.

I’ll bring some savlon for the Scarlet boys carpet burns.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am 

YOYO wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

If someone was to threaten to reveal your bank details on here, then I’m sure that’ll work. Where is globus when you need him.

WTF ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 am 

Clive Simms wrote:

I've seen some comments that The Principality Stadium was being investigated by the PRO14 organisation to hold the final, but there was a possible event conflict. If true I presume that a year ago the stadium was still in negotiations re the big gigs that are being held there, i.e. Ed Sheeran/Stones/JayZ. I assume they wanted to this w/e free in case it was the only one that fitted the tour schedules.

If that is the case, well then obviously Wales did not want the game played in their country.

Sadly - it's probably a financial decision. It's a lot easier getting money out of the Stones / Ed Sheeran etc - than the Irish run P14

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 am 

P in VG wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:

Sadly - it's probably a financial decision. It's a lot easier getting money out of the Stones / Ed Sheeran etc - than the Irish run P14

I would blame that on UK Ticketmaster.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm 

Clive Simms wrote:

And you're all pig ugly too

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
YOYO wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

WTF ?

Thread pulled yesterday which was globotised. Some talk of having access to sensitive banking information of another poster. Didn’t end well.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:44 pm 

YOYO wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
YOYO wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

WTF ?

Thread pulled yesterday which was globotised. Some talk of having access to sensitive banking information of another poster. Didn’t end well.

Ah...capisco.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:44 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:

And you're all pig ugly too

Remind me again what area the likes of Leo Cullen, Toner and Leavy come from? We’re not that ugly.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:33 am 

Just can’t see Leinster competing here. They won’t like it up ‘em

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am 

cubby boi wrote:

Jack McGrath in an interview earlier this week:

Quote:
The Champions Cup semi-final hammering will be fresh in the minds of both sets of players, yet it is difficult imaging the defending champions being as poor in Dublin again.

"It's going to be a funny one, we know each other pretty well, for us it is back to basics," McGrath maintained.

"I thought our game-plan in the Aviva worked pretty well, but they are going to have taken lessons from that about being able to counteract that so we are going to bring a few different little things. But I think on a day like a final you can't change too much because you need to go to your strengths to put them under pressure.

"To play against us is unpredictable and they are unpredictable. They pretty much did to Glasgow what they did to us last year."

While the Scarlets will attempt to use the hurt of last month's semi-final defeat to their benefit, McGrath and several of his team-mates are fuelled by an altogether different pain.

"I don't know if you'd call it lucky or unlucky but I am around long enough to remember when we won a Heineken Cup (2011) at the time and then going to a final and not being able to get over the line so there is that experience and bit of bitterness," he added.

"A lot of great guys have walked through that door at Leinster and not done that so that is definitely a driving factor."

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:29 am 

cubby boi wrote:

Jack McGrath in an interview earlier this week:

Quote:
The Champions Cup semi-final hammering will be fresh in the minds of both sets of players, yet it is difficult imaging the defending champions being as poor in Dublin again.

"It's going to be a funny one, we know each other pretty well, for us it is back to basics," McGrath maintained.

"I thought our game-plan in the Aviva worked pretty well, but they are going to have taken lessons from that about being able to counteract that so we are going to bring a few different little things. But I think on a day like a final you can't change too much because you need to go to your strengths to put them under pressure.

"To play against us is unpredictable and they are unpredictable. They pretty much did to Glasgow what they did to us last year."

While the Scarlets will attempt to use the hurt of last month's semi-final defeat to their benefit, McGrath and several of his team-mates are fuelled by an altogether different pain.

"I don't know if you'd call it lucky or unlucky but I am around long enough to remember when we won a Heineken Cup (2011) at the time and then going to a final and not being able to get over the line so there is that experience and bit of bitterness," he added.

"A lot of great guys have walked through that door at Leinster and not done that so that is definitely a driving factor."

Sean Cronins thoughts on the game:

https://youtu.be/mfzJb4yItWA

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 pm 

Quote:
Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Rob Kearney (196)
14. Jordan Larmour (21)
13. Garry Ringrose (49)
12. Isa Nacewa (184) CAPTAIN
11. James Lowe (12)
10. Johnny Sexton (147)
9. Luke McGrath (94)
1. Cian Healy (190)
2. Seán Cronin (152)
3. Tadhg Furlong (83)
4. Devin Toner (217)
5. James Ryan (14)
6. Rhys Ruddock (141)
7. Dan Leavy (53)
8. Jack Conan (73)

16. James Tracy (65)
17. Jack McGrath (132)
18. Andrew Porter (29)
19. Scott Fardy (21)
20. Jordi Murphy (106)
21. Nick McCarthy (27)
22. Joey Carbery (36)
23. Rory O’Loughlin (41)

Quote:
Scarlets team to take on Leinster in the Guinness PRO14 final at Aviva Stadium, Dublin, on Saturday 26th May, kick-off 18:00;

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Johnny Mcnicholl, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Lewis Rawlins, 5 Steve Cummins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 Tadhg Beirne

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Will Boyde, Jonathan Evans, Dan Jones, Tom Prydie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 pm 

Back to the rugby. Nice OP. Captures the general vibe.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm 

what is the vibe in dublin after the referendum ?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:41 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
what is the vibe in dublin after the referendum ?

Good mood around the city. Dublin was 75% + in favour of repeal so not a surprise.

Looking forward to the game now with all that out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:57 pm 

Not there so not sure, but apparently at this 'neutral' venue, there are leinster flags on the seats...

My god, it never fails

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 pm 

RugbyPass commentary I ain't mad about.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:00 pm 

Theflier wrote:
Not there so not sure, but apparently at this 'neutral' venue, there are leinster flags on the seats...

My god, it never fails

There will be Sacrlets flags as well as they put both out. Are you a bit embarrassed now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next