Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 153  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

towny wrote:
I'm taking some liberties and having a bit of fun. The swarm talked a good game - these world beaters were going to come down here and destroy us. Instead, they lost the physical battle badly and their scrum struggled against a team of kids. Of course I don't mean Furlong is a shit prop. He's a fine player. He's just not the god that some ignorant rugby 'fans' believed him to be; especially when they lined up to bag Taniela Tupou - a genuine up-and-coming rugby god.

Anyway, we'll see this weekend how it unfolds.

What's happened to you, Towny? :(

Needed a breather at the rate you were going?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm 

kiap wrote:
Zakar wrote:

What lady wouldn't.

So what's his secret then?

I imagine earning €400,000 a year helps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
kiap wrote:
Zakar wrote:

What lady wouldn't.

That's a lot of potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm 

So gents, what do we think will happen this Saturday.

I'd say the Irish boys will be training hard and pretty focused after messing about on Jets-skis and playing golf last week.

Last Saturday will have provided a much needed kick up the hole to the Irish team and it takes unwanted pressure off the team. We didn't want to go into the world cup on a massive unbeaten run- that would just heap pressure on the team (Lord knows we aren't great with that in a World Cup scenario.)

Now we are back with our feet firmly on the ground, so thank you Australia!

In terms of this Saturday, I see Ireland ratcheting up the intensity (In the first ten minutes of the game last week, Australia reminded me of the Irish team when we were plucky underdogs and we would impose ourselves physically at the start of the game with pure passion.) Obviously Australia had far better technical ability and were deserved winners of the match, but I was upset that we would allow ourselves be bullied like that without fighting back. I think the Irish players will be upset too and will bring that bit of dog back into their game, in the forwards especially. I think we will need to bring the 'England in the Grand Slam match' intensity to this game. Everybody up for it and firing. The front row guys know what they have to do- it is a matter of honour now, if Australia get the better of us in the scrum next Saturday, I will tip my hat to them as the Irish guys will be gunning for them.

In terms of selection, we will need to pick an actual openside and outside centre- this will make a huge difference and I'd like to see Tadgh Beirne on the bench at least. Also- Sexton. He brings the intensity.

To me the 2nd test is everything, it's a must win. Say whatever you want about trying new players but rugby is about pride and respect and winning f**king games! The rest is bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
kiap wrote:
Zakar wrote:

What lady wouldn't.

And yet your lads still get involved in burglaries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 pm 

So back to important business.

What activities have the lads got organised this week?
Coffee isn’t supposed to be that good in Melbourne, I guess a trip to some wineries might be on the cards?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
kiap wrote:
Zakar wrote:

What lady wouldn't.

And yet your lads still get involved in burglaries

We moved on from that. The current lads are mostly involved in prison breaks and coke deals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 pm 

Easy Now wrote:

I'd say the Irish boys will be training hard and pretty focused after messing about on Jets-skis and playing golf last week.

Last Saturday will have provided a much needed kick up the hole to the Irish team and it takes unwanted pressure off the team. We didn't want to go into the world cup on a massive unbeaten run- that would just heap pressure on the team (Lord knows we aren't great with that in a World Cup scenario.)

In terms of this Saturday, I see Ireland ratcheting up the intensity (In the first ten minutes of the game last week, Australia reminded me of the Irish team when we were plucky underdogs and we would impose ourselves physically at the start of the game with pure passion.) Obviously Australia had far better technical ability and were deserved winners of the match, but I was upset that we would allow ourselves be bullied like that without fighting back. I think the Irish players will be upset too and will bring that bit of dog back into their game, in the forwards especially. I think we will need to bring the 'England in the Grand Slam match' intensity to this game. Everybody up for it and firing. The front row guys know what they have to do- it is a matter of honour now, if Australia get the better of us in the scrum next Saturday, I will tip my hat to them as the Irish guys will be gunning for them.

In terms of selection, we will need to pick an actual openside and outside centre- this will make a huge difference and I'd like to see Tadgh Beirne on the bench at least. Also- Sexton. He brings the intensity.

To me the 2nd test is everything, it's a must win. Say whatever you want about trying new players but rugby is about pride and respect and winning f**king games! The rest is bullshit.

I doubt we'll be training hard at all going on SOB's comments from the Lion's tour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
Great picture.

What a big brute that Aussie is. That Aussie team is an all round big physical team.. with a ton of skill.

That's not how you do banter.

God damn. And I'm allegedly "bad at it"? Tip: don't suck the opposition's dick for being big physical plums that bully your own lads at will.

Let’s be honest here. We are the johnny come lately of the top top tier of international rugby. To be even allowed play on the same patch of turf as the mighty Wallabies is a huge trill. I just hope our lads don’t shit their pants against you and give you a decent game. Thank you for helping grow the game. ☺️

You're welcome mate.

I must admit, this kind of honest response is refreshing. It's nice to know all you lads are not on the crazy bandwagon that reasons you have the best team in the cosmos because you beat the All Blacks once in a century (imagine how good that would make sides like South Africa and Australia who do it routinely). But I know, it's easy to get ahead of yourself, and get excited about it, especially as a relatively small rugby nation. I do appreciate that modest honesty.

That all said, we are trying to do a bit of banter here. Try and spice it up a bit son. This isn't a be-rational-and-honest competition.

Routinely isn't an accurate summation. I trust we can agree on occasionally.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:48 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
kiap wrote:
Zakar wrote:

What lady wouldn't.

‘Big potatoes’

If he wants to eat spuds then crack on, one average game doesn’t stop him being an awesome player. Natural prop size not some roided up ex back rower.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:50 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Natural prop size not some roided up ex back rower.

What's the baseline difference?

Taro vis-à-vis potato ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

I’m sure the prátaí ollmhór will be looking to gain back respect this weekend and good luck to him.
I read that our boys have been working on a new potato salad recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm 

jdogscoop wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
I must admit, this kind of honest response is refreshing. It's nice to know all you lads are not on the crazy bandwagon that reasons you have the best team in the cosmos because you beat the All Blacks once in a century (imagine how good that would make sides like South Africa and Australia who do it routinely). But I know, it's easy to get ahead of yourself, and get excited about it, especially as a relatively small rugby nation. I do appreciate that modest honesty.

I'd suggest "very rarely"
Mog The Almighty wrote:
imagine how good that would make sides like South Africa and Australia who do it very rarely

Yep that's more like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm 

I am going to LOVE it when we beat Australia LOVE IT. The lack of humility with their slacker king towny at the head has been wince inducing. Thankfully we have soared above it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm 

EverReady wrote:
I am going to LOVE it when we beat Australia LOVE IT. The lack of humility with their slacker king towny at the head has been wince inducing. Thankfully we have soared above it all.

We're like the Bette Midler of posting groups.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:18 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
Australia who do it very rarely

1 from the last 1 is 100%

... whereas very rarely would be like once in a 100 years

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:19 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:

C'mon, lads.

Yer lovin' it now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:26 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:

That's beautiful, man. Teary eye stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

I'd suggest "very rarely"
Mog The Almighty wrote:
imagine how good that would make sides like South Africa and Australia who do it very rarely

Yep that's more like it.

Since the dawn of professionalism we're on 27.86% vs the All Blacks. Thats a better percentage than anyone, Lions included. You're on 5.88%.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:36 pm 

Current Coaches vs BNZ

Cheika with Australia - 2 wins, 7 defeats (170 pts vs 309 pts)
Schmidt with Ireland - 1 win, 2 defeats (71 pts vs 74 pts)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

I was going to check the Wikipedia page for the stats for the past 10 years, but distinguishing the Aus and NZ flags is like an eyesight test so I lost interest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

Easy Now wrote:

Agreed, good post. Only a win will ensure that Towny King of the gobby backs and Mongo the Almighty stick a cork in it. Hopefully a very controversial one point win after a dodgy ref call. That would be great - we’d have the added bonus of a Cheika whingefest too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Current Coaches vs BNZ

Interesting but irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Current Coaches vs BNZ

Interesting but irrelevant.

Who's BNZ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

^ local branch of AIG ?

Duff Paddy wrote:
Only a win will ensure that Towny King of the gobby backs and Mongo the Almighty stick a cork in it.

Towny is - was - a lock; likely without any Michelin stars, but in the row nonetheless. I dunno Mog's basis for blogging on. Not sure he does either

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:48 pm 

kiap wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Natural prop size not some roided up ex back rower.

What's the baseline difference?

Taro vis-à-vis potato ...

Pity the same can't be said on the other side of the scrum. :lol:

But yeah, I like Tadgh too, and like him for that reason. There's still room in an International rugby side for a fat farmer (and although it may not sound it, I genuinely like that, I'm not baiting the swarm).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm 

jdogscoop wrote:

True. By "routinely", I mean "more than once in a century" routinely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:56 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I'll let you have sunlight on your face Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:00 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Easy Now wrote:

Agreed, good post. Only a win will ensure that Towny King of the gobby backs and Mongo the Almighty stick a cork in it. Hopefully a very controversial one point win after a dodgy ref call. That would be great - we’d have the added bonus of a Cheika whingefest too.

That's a bit harsh mate. Towny is running riot (and he's pretty funny), but how am I doing anything but stating facts? I predicted an Ireland win in the first test by more than a try. I've even said a few times I still think Ireland are the better side despite the result. That Tadgh is "probably" still the best tighthead in the world. I lived in Ireland, I'm a Munster fan. I like Ireland. I usually cheer for Ireland. Just not this month.

Granted I've gently nudged the swarm in the ribs on one or two occasions, but that's what rugby banter is all about. And just quietly, it has been rather justified considering the pounding your lads took after the ridiculous wave of over-confidence you fans strutted in on. :lol:

But ignoring that I've spoken only the truth: the Wallabies were in great form. They bullied your lads physically and they were better in virtually every position on the field. The Wallaby scrum varied between rock solid and totally dominating. That's just true. Whether they can do it again is another question. I expect the Irish to step it up a notch after a rather rude awakening. This weekend is a coin flip. I'm picking The Wallabies by 1 point, based only on having home ground advantage.

P.S. the only "really dodgy" ref calls in that game went against The Wallabies. Granted, CJ Stander was unlucky, but it wasn't a "dodgy call". It just couldn't be given based on the evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I'm a Munster fan

That explains so, so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:57 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I'll let you have sunlight on your face Guy

Be my eagle, big guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm 

So I’m feeling super psyched, stoked and pumped for Saturdays game.
Can the weary and battered Irish after a long and demanding season summons the energy for one final push before going on much deserved holidays?

It really will be amazing if they can come out on top.
The Aussies have everything in their favour.

Excuse me if this has been called covered already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Olo wrote:
Fair enough.

If that was us and we were on a run of 12 straight victories I would be very dissapointed.
Use games against second tier opposition and injuries for experimentation.

I think Schmidt just got it wrong.

There's really only 7 games between now and the RWC to really test our options. We won't be using the 6N for that beyond whatever injuries get thrown up. The warm-ups will be scratch teams. I also think there's a bit more to it than building depth. This is the end of a long(and very successful) season for most of the players. 8 test matches(before this series), 23 Pro14 games and 9 Spiv cup games for a total of 3200 mins. Most of the players will only have played about half that. I think the most is Beirne on 2300 odd (he played no test matches) followed by Stockdale on 2014. Coming up against a team which is only starting playing tests now.

The only selection I'd take issue with was Carbery. We were getting at your lineout quite well(stole 3) and he only put boot to ball 3 times and not for touch. And in any case none of the bench lads seemed to have the required impacted tbh so can't really argue they should have started.

I've only watched the game once... and we'd started on the red half way through the ABs game so I should watch it again to really get a clearer idea of where it went wrong for Ireland, because they certainly had their chances in the game and to me, at this stage of the cycle that's key to this series. All of the contenders should have their basic systems bedded down by now and wanting to learn as much as they can about each other and themselves, so in that sense while Ireland wouldn't be really worried about losing, I think they'd have wanted to do better and I expect them to next game.

Also... the SH players are 16 weeks through the Super season coming into these tests. They're far from fresh. Although the Irish players have had longer seasons, they're not playing a bunch of rested players.

I don't think we were bad (we were leading for a lot of the game) just not good enough. Aussies were very good at slowing our ball and had a good kicking game which we never dealt with, some of it was unforced errors but mostly it was Aussie pressure. We had the advantage at the lineout but never pressed it, opting for a possession game even though they had the upper hand at the ruck.

On the 2nd point, I still think they'd be fresher. The bulk of the Irish squad are from Leinster and they've played 2 finals and a semi in the past month. Not quite test level but probably a big test than a game vs Italy for example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 pm 

We can all agree that Cranberry is shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:

But it's good for urinary tract infections.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 pm 

paddyor wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Apparently a myth, I was reading the other day. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm 

paddyor wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Wasn't there a thread that he waa the messiah? He's not even John the Baptist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 pm 

I think we can all agree that Ireland are going to come out all fired up. I just hope the Wallabies can deal with them. They won't have the element of surprise this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm 

Can everybody shush so I can get a look at Guy and Mullet making sweet sweet love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 pm 

Thomas wrote:
I think we can all agree that Ireland are going to come out all fired up. I just hope the Wallabies can deal with them. They won't have the element of surprise this time.

I think I want the rugby to just stop. Not for ever, just for a little bit. Until September would be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 153  Next