Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 153  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm 

Farva wrote:
Half of the Brumbies trys come from mauls and Pocock is always at the back of them.

And?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 pm 

towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
The Irish driving maul should be a worry with two opensides defending it.

Pocock is over 110kg and deadlifts cars. I don’t think he’ll be the slacker on the mauls. Meanwhile, he’ll win 3 turnovers and slow down Irish ball all game. Maybe that’s harder to see if you don’t understand rugby.

How come our backrow failed aginst top teams in the last few years then?

He's about 105kgs at best. I've actually met him a couple of times after test matches. He's veyr wide but not tall (barely taller than me and I'm 5'10)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 pm 

Is there a backrower in Australia who is as strong as Pocock? The dude is an animal. Just because Ned Hanigan is taller and heavier doesn’t mean he’s actually stronger, or more effective at anything besides jumping in the lineout.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:45 pm 

SFBB wrote:
Is there a backrower in Australia who is as strong as Pocock? The dude is an animal. Just because Ned Hanigan is taller and heavier doesn’t mean he’s actually stronger, or more effective at anything besides jumping in the lineout.

This might not make sense to you but bodyweight and mass is very important in the tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
SFBB wrote:

This might not make sense to you but bodyweight and mass is very important in the tight.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:47 pm 

SFBB wrote:

Probably not. Pocock would defnitely be stronger than Hanigan and probably as strong some of the props (in terms poundage he can lift) but body mass does matter in rugby.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:53 pm 

The thing we need to develop that 6/8 for the WC. Pooper will not win us the WC. The ABs are heading the other direction, they putting together a huge pack. The Irish are strong in the backs too so there's nowhere to hide if you're getting reamed in the forwards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
The thing we need to develop that 6/8 for the WC. Pooper will not win us the WC. The ABs are heading the other direction, they putting together a huge pack. The Irish are strong in the backs too so there's nowhere to hide if you're getting reamed in the forwards.

I agree but I don't think Chieka has much of a vision. He's just happy to keep using Pooper. This is teh guy that lost to England 4 times in a row playing same dumb rugby. I think it's fair to say he's not a great thinking coach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 pm 

towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Pocock is over 110kg and deadlifts cars. I don’t think he’ll be the slacker on the mauls. Meanwhile, he’ll win 3 turnovers and slow down Irish ball all game. Maybe that’s harder to see if you don’t understand rugby.

Try to get over your horn for Pocock. No one on here is saying he shouldn't be in the team, he played well today at 7. But the Pooper option isn't a starting option.
Start Pocock then run the pants off Ireland with Hooper after 40min or after a "jumping" no8 giving is replaced at least when we are up off good line out ball.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:00 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

I agree but I don't think Chieka has much of a vision. He's just happy to keep using Pooper. This is teh guy that lost to England 4 times in a row playing same dumb rugby. I think it's fair to say he's not a great thinking coach.

He's too loyal to Hooper coz I'd start Pocock at 7.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 pm 

Ireland would probably prefer to defend against guys like Hanigan in the maul than Pocock. Ned might be up to 10kg heavier, but in the grand scheme of things that isn’t a lot. You want power to oppose the maul, not an anchor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:04 pm 

SFBB wrote:
Ireland would probably prefer to defend against guys like Hanigan in the maul than Pocock. Ned might be up to 10kg heavier, but in the grand scheme of things that isn’t a lot. You want power to oppose the maul, not an anchor.

I doubt either of them would make much of an impact because our maul defence is shit (though it's not as shit as it used to be). We are lacking in attitude and technique.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 pm 

If Fardy and Ben Mowen we’re still around I’d imagine one of Pooper would be on the bench. Currently your options are slightly larger players who are inferior at every aspect other than being slightly larger. Pocock could easily play with 8 on his back for the Brumbies, and while he wouldn’t be a traditional style 8, he would be the best 8 currently qualified for Oz. You’re all too focused on the numbers they wear, and a perceived lack of size. I’d rather have two smaller warriors, than one warrior and a shite player.

One of Pooper + a big useless plum =/= more balanced. It just means less good players in the team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:13 pm 

I'm not suggesting we pick a useless player over Hooper/Pocock. I think we don't have any dominant 6s/8s in Australia at the moment so we have to keep picking Hooper+Pocock even though it hasns't worked for us in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 pm 

Oh well if wiki says so....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:

Here's how it works in Wallabyland. The selection is sorted by dollars:

Folau (on over $1m a season until he gives RA the bird) picks his own spot:
  • Non-kicking fullback
  • Yes, a great and balanced runner (better than Hooper)
  • Also outstanding taking the high ball.
  • Defensively and field positioning = B minus.

Hooper (offered a $5m deal until 2023) is automatic captain and picks the role he wants.
  • short and lightweight runner wearing #7.
  • excellent motor
  • good ball handling, low error rate when with the ball
  • poor captain = C minus

Pocock (on a bit under a mill, but possibly punted after 2019) has to be part of "The Pooper"
  • strong jackler and short No. 8.
  • quick to the breakdown
  • good at slowing down oppo ball
  • possible question mark with new breakdown interpretations

This is not really going to change without injury (or other "force majeure").

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

:o Couldn't disagree with any of that Kiap. On Folau, we all love his attacking and aerial skills but his kicking game is average at best and usually get exposed at test level.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

I think Pooper can work if Cheika picks a tall, big no.6. Just get all the locks in the squad to race over 40m and the winner plays at blindside for the rest of the year. Simples.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:27 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I think Pooper can work if Cheika picks a tall, big no.6. Just get all the locks in the squad to race over 40m and the winner plays at blindside for the rest of the year. Simples.

I tend to agree. If we had a big, tall, physical no 6 we could have got away with Poooper but I don't think we have a player like that. Timu and Tui look promising but who knows whether they'll step up at test level.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:28 pm 

towny wrote:

You got your stats from the vibes right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:28 pm 

He’s picked Tui as a backrow because he’s capable of jumping in a lineout (he isn’t actually very good at it though). Timu will be on the bench to give some impact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm 

SFBB wrote:
If Fardy and Ben Mowen we’re still around I’d imagine one of Pooper would be on the bench. Currently your options are slightly larger players who are inferior at every aspect other than being slightly larger. Pocock could easily play with 8 on his back for the Brumbies, and while he wouldn’t be a traditional style 8, he would be the best 8 currently qualified for Oz. You’re all too focused on the numbers they wear, and a perceived lack of size. I’d rather have two smaller warriors, than one warrior and a shite player.

One of Pooper + a big useless plum =/= more balanced. It just means less good players in the team.

Agree.

Pooper isn’t under pressure until two blokes stand up at 6 or 8 and can’t be ignored. At present there is no one doing this. Perhaps two of Timu, Samu, Valentini, Dempsey or Naisarani would change this. Then Cheika would be forced to put one of his best players on the bench for the good of the team. But that day hasn’t come yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:33 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
towny wrote:

My f*cking eyes work. He’s a monster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
towny wrote:

I've actually met him after games. No way he's over 110kgs. More like 105kgs.

towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
towny wrote:

A monster would be Devin Toner Irish lock 2.10m 128kg

SFBB wrote:
He’s picked Tui as a backrow because he’s capable of jumping in a lineout (he isn’t actually very good at it though). Timu will be on the bench to give some impact.

Samu could also be a bench option. Has played all three backrow positions for the Crusaders and offers impact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:58 pm 

towny wrote:

:lol:
Perfect credentials when discussing how good a rugby player is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:24 pm 

Pretty shit rule #1's in this OP tbh. 2 plastic air brushed bimbos that look almost identical.

let me try.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:26 pm 

It’ll be fine.

We can play Hooper-Pocock-Samu in the backrow because some guy on the internet told me to not ‘focus on the numbers on their back’.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:28 pm 

shanky wrote:
It’ll be fine.

We can play Hooper-Pocock-Samu in the backrow because some guy on the internet told me to not ‘focus on the numbers on their back’.

Sadly we've been hearing this shit for a few years now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
shanky wrote:
It’ll be fine.

Sadly we've been hearing this shit for a few years now.

It’s the same story at hooker

Our national coach engineered us into a position where our most experienced hooker (36 minutes in the gold jersey) is now out of action. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:51 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:

:lol:
Perfect credentials when discussing how good a rugby player is.

Pockock is nowhere near 110kg. I don't care what his stats say at the start of the game. He's about 180cm and 100kg wringing wet in a tracksuite.

They talk complete bollocks about their stats, and Pooey, as much as I like him, does more than most.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:14 pm 

I always leave this place feeling like a genius.

Thanks for the boost boys!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm 

towny wrote:
I always leave this place feeling like a genius.

Thanks for the boost boys!

It’s our pleasure

http://youtu.be/2YTntpldkhw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm 

Does anyone else think Hodge should be 10? Very nice skills there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:36 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

He's about 105kgs at best. I've actually met him a couple of times after test matches. He's veyr wide but not tall (barely taller than me and I'm 5'10)

I agree. We should take a more measured approach and only pull out the Pooper as a starting combo every now and then. We have fallen short against top opposition lately and the lineout is a big part of that. The pooper is good at the back end of games when you are trying to close it out.
Cheika will go with both to start though because he has limited his options with selection. He cannot also start Samu or Timu. Hanigan or Tui it is at 6. Not ideal at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:59 pm 

Olo wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
towny wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

I agree. We should take a more measured approach and only pull out the Pooper as a starting combo every now and then. We have fallen short against top opposition lately and the lineout is a big part of that. The pooper is good at the back end of games when you are trying to close it out.
Cheika will go with both to start though because he has limited his options with selection. He cannot also start Samu or Timu. Hanigan or Tui it is at 6. Not ideal at all.

Back to the size of DP ... everyone knows "muscle weighs more than fat", but it's pretty easy to put on 5 or 10 kg of fat spread evenly over a muscular frame and still look "fairly fit" and weigh something crazy like 110kg ... if you're 6'3 or 6'4. It's a different thing all together to put on 5-10kg of lean muscle. It takes literally years of training, nutrition and some lucky genes. DP is about 180, 5'10 and although he's strong as a bull, has arms like a gorilla and built like a brick shitter, he's also pretty damn lean. To put it in perspective, Arnold Shwarzenegger was about 4 inches taller than Pocock, and a steroid-pumper mound of muscles, and he "only" weighed 107kg. There's no chance Poey is coming in at 110kg. My honest guess is in the mid to high 90s. He's just not carrying that much fat. I've been weight lifting all my life, and if I were as lean as Pockock I'd weight about 85kg and I'm 2 inches taller.

Edit: also, he's an ideal #7 imo. His arms look way too long for his body. His arms look like they belong on a guy who is 2m tall. Which is perfect for deadlifts and also perfect for snaffling ball out of rucks in rugby.

The Wobs have had the same problem for a decade and a half: an abundance of awesome #7s, but no true world-class quality sixes or eights, minus a few flashes by the likes of Mowen and Fardy for seeminly half a season before disappearing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
My honest guess is in the mid to high 90s. He's just not carrying that much fat. I've been weight lifting all my life,

Nah. You're forcing me towards the Towny camp.

Not that I'm saying he's the full 110kg, but it's not that hard for a 180cm pro athlete to be over 100kg with added muscle and not a lot of fat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:28 pm 

lol ther'es no way he's in his 90s. He's comfortably over 100kgs but probably not 110kg. I'd say between 103kgs and 107kgs. Poey's arms being too big? wtf. They are not too big at all and look pretty proportional with teh rest of his body.

Also he's a bit taller than 5'10. He's close to 6'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:03 pm 

. double

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 153  Next