Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 153  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm 

Jokes aside. The Irish will look at our videotape. They will see glaring elements of constancy in defence and attack.

They will look at each other and wonder if they should believe their own eyes. Surely no-one could be that cumbersome in attack and utterly predictable in defence?

They will conclude that this must be a ruse. They will concoct sophisticated attack patterns, assuming that our stuttering pendulum is a tricky pattern that they need to overcome via clever patterns.

As it turns out, it isn’t, and they won’t. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:12 pm 

shanky wrote:
Jokes aside. The Irish will look at our videotape. They will see glaring elements of constancy in defence and attack.

They will look at each other and wonder if they should believe their own eyes. Surely no-one could be that cumbersome in attack and utterly predictable in defence?

They will conclude that this must be a ruse. They will concoct sophisticated attack patterns, assuming that our stuttering pendulum is a tricky pattern that they need to overcome via clever patterns.

Ah, we're finally going to see the movez. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:18 pm 

shanky wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Interesting to see that Pete Samu, who has been mainly used as a bench player for the duration of his Crusaders career, is being picked to start for the Wallabies at no.6 by some posters on this thread. Pretty meteoric rise for a fella that couldn't even get a SR contract in Australia two years ago.

Not going to happen. He may be in or around the squad but I doubt he will play a test this series. He's good but just because he wears a Crusaders jumper does not make him a certainty, as some here think. If he is chosen it will cheapen the jersey...............further.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 pm 

Olo wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Interesting to see that Pete Samu, who has been mainly used as a bench player for the duration of his Crusaders career, is being picked to start for the Wallabies at no.6 by some posters on this thread. Pretty meteoric rise for a fella that couldn't even get a SR contract in Australia two years ago.

Not going to happen. He may be in or around the squad but I doubt he will play a test this series. He's good but just because he wears a Crusaders jumper does not make him a certainty, as some here think. If he is chosen it will cheapen the jersey...............further.

Nice of you to be concerned about the impact on the Crusaders' jersey.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 pm 

Our lads are tired, victims of their own success having reached so many finals. We’ll win the first test but fatigue will kick in and Aus should win the series.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Either way I expect our rugby journalistic son Murray Kinsella to see the genius in the Australian strategies. I expect detailed gifs and many arrows deconstructing every play. After a 3 nill Aussie series win, we’ll continue with our believe that the Aussies are rugby gods.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm 

Kiwias wrote:
Olo wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Nice of you to be concerned about the impact on the Crusaders' jersey.

He is too short. There is no point throwing him in there with our two Poopers.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm 

Is it likely Joe will pick his best 23 for the first test and then give some of the others game time in the second and third irrespective of the result of the first?

Would be a shame for James Ryan to end his streak in an experimental side. He should get to 24/24 for club and country though.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 pm 

YOYO wrote:
YOYO wrote:
I see a lot of Polynesian names in the Aus squad + hard ground and I’m thinking this could be a chastening experience for a pasty one paced, kick it up em Irish squad.
It will be Super Rugby athleticism versus stodgy NH winter playing rugby.

Edit: I recall a good story pre professional era of Ireland always losing to SH opposition and trying to put their finger on it, wondering why they did not perform against the SH teams. The story was told by Keith Wood. It was probably mid ‘90’s. In one training sessions the lads apparently lathered themselves in fake tan to make themselves look like the SH rugby players, thinking it would help break the psychological weakness by training against players that looked like Michael Lynagh and David Campese. Wood was laughing as he told the story. The false tan lasted one training session. I imagine a sworn secrecy pact was made that day never to tell that story.

Am I imagining it or has anyone else heard that story?

No Irisher ever hear the fake tan story?? I’m pretty sure Gatland was in charge of Ireland at the time. Or else I’m going mad.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 pm 

YOYO wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Either way I expect our rugby journalistic son Murray Kinsella to see the genius in the Australian strategies. I expect detailed gifs and many arrows deconstructing every play. After a 3 nill Aussie series win, we’ll continue with our believe that the Aussies are rugby gods.

Absolutely. I love his analysis. I might even start believing that having a non-kicking back 3 is some kind of masterly ploy. Then I’ll open a second bottle of red and shout at the telly some more. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm 

Imagine the scenes if Ireland not only win their first game on Australian soil in 40 years but win the series.

Golly.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 am 

Thomas wrote:
Imagine the scenes if Ireland not only win their first game on Australian soil in 40 years but win the series.

Golly.

Ireland to win 2 - 1

Although it would will probably go the same way as the South African tour, a first gutsy win followed by twice leading the subsequent games at 60mins before folding in the final quarter when total fatigue and end of season exhaustion hits.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:27 pm 

Quote:
New Zealand Rugby is continuing to play hardball with new ACT Brumbies recruit Pete Samu, leaving a frustrated Michael Cheika to explain that he can’t pick the back-rower, for now, in the Wallabies squad for the June series against Ireland.

Cheika revealed his 32-man squad on Wednesday, which features five uncapped players in Jack Maddocks, Tom Banks, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Folau Fainga'a and Caleb Timu.

The notable absentee was Samu, who signed a deal with the Brumbies on Tuesday from the Crusaders and is a player Cheika had every intention of picking.

The NZR has not released Samu for selection given he also qualifies for New Zealand via residency. Negotiations are far from over, with Rugby Australia still trying to make him eligible for the first Test in Brisbane next week.

“I’ve been told at this point I can’t select him,” Cheika said. “There is a spot for him there. It’s in other's hands. I’m not really involved in that part of it. I’m hoping there will be some more clarity about that tomorrow [Thursday]."

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:33 pm 

Bindi wrote:
I fear for our collective bottoms.

It's not Scotland that you're playing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 pm 

I'm really pumped for this series. I don't expect fatigue will be a factor, although it might be used as an excuse.

I think Ireland's pack will produce and from there we will have the game control and management coming from our halfbacks that should give us the edge. We don't have big x-factor players in our starting line-up like Beale, Folau that can skin an opposition player 1 on 1. Instead, Ireland typically dominate possession through a strong set-piece, an excellent kicking game and accuracy at the breakdown. We don't do much in terms of offloads, nor offer hardly any unstructured attacking play; we prefer to quickly get back into our structures where our accuracy gives us an advantage. We don't give the opposition much to play off while we exploit mismatches and gaps we manipulate over multiple phases with shrewd direction from Murray and Sexton. Our coaches generally don't miss a trick.

I give Ireland the edge if we start Murray, Sexton but I expect we will see a lot of time given to their back-ups in this series. Will be interested to see how we deal with the threat the Wallabies back three pose, and also how we exploit your relative lack of a kicking game there because Aussie exits will need to be spot on. Really looking forward to see how Leavy goes against Hooper. Leavy has been superb for us in the back-row this season.. He is a real cocksure player and leader with an ego who brings it every time into big games but he has been done for pace/lateral mobility a couple of times this season.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:54 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
I'm really pumped for this series. I don't expect fatigue will be a factor, although it might be used as an excuse.

I think Ireland's pack will produce and from there we will have the game control and management coming from our halfbacks that should give us the edge. We don't have big x-factor players in our starting line-up like Beale, Folau that can skin an opposition player 1 on 1. Instead, Ireland typically dominate possession through a strong set-piece, an excellent kicking game and accuracy at the breakdown. We don't do much in terms of offloads, nor offer hardly any unstructured attacking play; we prefer to quickly get back into our structures where our accuracy gives us an advantage. We don't give the opposition much to play off while we exploit mismatches and gaps we manipulate over multiple phases with shrewd direction from Murray and Sexton. Our coaches generally don't miss a trick.

I give Ireland the edge if we start Murray, Sexton but I expect we will see a lot of time given to their back-ups in this series. Will be interested to see how we deal with the threat the Wallabies back three pose, and also how we exploit your relative lack of a kicking game there because Aussie exits will need to be spot on. Really looking forward to see how Leavy goes against Hooper. Leavy has been superb for us in the back-row this season.. He is a real cocksure player and leader with an ego who brings it every time into big games but he has been done for pace/lateral mobility a couple of times this season.

Bit much saying this when we don't know who the wingers will be.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 pm 

Wallaby starting back three will most likely be Folau, Koreibete and DHP for the first test. Hodge might be there and he has a very good kicking game.
Maddocks and Banks will get a run off the bench during the series and both have excellent boots with speed to burn. I am guessing that Cheika is expecting a territory based approach from Ireland and will be looking to use that as a platform.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

Olo wrote:
Wallaby starting back three will most likely be Folau, Koreibete and DHP for the first test. Hodge might be there and he has a very good kicking game.
Maddocks and Banks will get a run off the bench during the series and both have excellent boots with speed to burn. I am guessing that Cheika is expecting a territory based approach from Ireland and will be looking to use that as a platform.

Agree with all of this.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 pm 

Which one is the guy "Thor" that you Aussies were wanking over? Prop?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 pm 

Taniela Tupou .... tighthead prop

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 pm 

paddyor wrote:

Big brown bloke. No neck and a hell of a cut out pass.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 am 

Olo wrote:
paddyor wrote:

And very quick.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Olo wrote:
paddyor wrote:

And very quick.

Yep...
https://youtu.be/IdwU_HU8brg

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 am 

paddyor wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVMAmPND3A

and is actually scrummaging quite well

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 am 

Tupou could be anything. Arguably the most exciting new forward in world rugby. CAN scrum, has a big engine, good skills and crazy quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROOV-Kn7fY

Makes two quality All Blacks look very average in this clip.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 am 

It’s in no doubt he has turned out better than anybody reckoned he would. Solid player with some X-factor.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am 

SFBB wrote:
It’s in no doubt he has turned out better than anybody reckoned he would. Solid player with some X-factor.

He's good but he could be anything should his attitude/fitness hold up. He's just turned 22 and is starring at THP against some very good players. My underpants are tight and wet.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 am 

From the IT

Quote:

Ciarán Fitzgerald, Keith Wood and Brian O’Driscoll have many things in common from a rugby perspective but perhaps the least well known is that they all made their Ireland debuts in Australia, coincidentally in the city of Brisbane.

Fitzgerald was uncapped when chosen in the squad to tour Australia in 1979 and would have been seen initially as a back-up to Garryowen’s Pat Whelan, who was the starting Irish hooker in the previous 14 Test matches.

Coach Noel Murphy’s Irish side won one, drew two and lost one of their matches in the Five Nations Championship earlier that season. The tour got off to an unfortunate start when prop Ned Byrne was knocked down by a car two nights before the first tour match and ended up with a badly fractured leg; but it was a selection controversy that was to dominate the headlines ahead of the first Test.

Ollie Campbell was preferred to Tony Ward, the then European rugby player of the year, for the first Test. Both had played beautifully on tour but it was Campbell who was handed the number 10 jersey for the first Test against the Wallabies at Ballymore in Brisbane.

He was outstanding as Ireland hammered the Aussies 27-12, scrumhalf Colin Patterson crossing for two tries, with Campbell converting both and kicking four penalties and a drop goal.

Victory
The margin in the second Test in Sydney was less emphatic, but once again the Old Belvedere playmaker guided his side to victory, landing a penalty and a brace of drop goals. Campbell, one of Irish rugby’s all-time great players, would remain his country’s first-choice outhalf until his injury enforced retirement in 1984.

There were two other debutants in that first Test, St Mary’s College fullback Rodney O’Donnell and the man who replaced him when he sustained an injury during the game, Frank Ennis; it was the Wanderers fullback’s one and only cap.

The 1979 tour was the second time that Ireland had visited Australia, the first 1967, when an Ireland side captained by Tom Kiernan beat the Wallabies 11-5 with tries from centres Pat McGrath and Jerry Walsh with Kiernan tagging on a conversion and drop goal.

Mike Gibson provides a link between those two successful Ireland tours to Australia. In 1967 he was outhalf on the team that triumphed in Sydney and made his final and what was then a world record, 69th appearance as an outside centre in the second Test (Sydney) in 1977, bringing to a conclusion a career that marked him as the one the sport’s best ever players.

So while Ireland were 3-0 at one stage in Tests on Australian soil, they have subsequently lost all 10 matches against the Wallabies in Oz, including a couple of World Cup matches in 1987 (33-15) – Brian Smith, who scored a try for Australia that day went on to play for Ireland – and 2003 (17-16), a game remembered for O’Driscoll’s tiptoe down the touchline to dot down in the corner.

Four first caps
Wood was one of four debutants in the first Test (1994) alongside Jonathan Bell, David Corkery and Niall Woods while five years later a 20-year old O’Driscoll, who had yet to play for Leinster, was given his first cap by then the Ireland coach Warren Gatland. He wasn’t alone in making his Test match bow as Matt Mostyn and Tom Tierney also wore the green jersey for the first time.

In total, 15 Irish players have been handed a first cap in Australia. 1967: Terry Moore; 1979 (first Test): Rodney O’Donnell, Ciarán Fitzgerald, Frank Ennis; 1994 (first Test): Jonathan Bell, Keith Wood, David Corkery, Niall Woods; (second Test): Gabriel Fulcher; 1999 (first Test): Brian O’Driscoll, Matt Mostyn, Tom Tierney. 2010 (first Test): Rhys Ruddock, Damien Varley, Chris Henry.

Joe Schmidt’s Ireland squad begin their journey to Australia on Thursday night and will create a little history when they face Michael Cheika’s Wallabies for the first time in a three-Test series, coming on the back of a 12-match winning streak: and for the uncapped Irish tourists, Tadhg Beirne and Ross Byrne the prospect of joining some illustrious company.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 am 

Thomas wrote:
I sure hope the all-conquering Irish go easy on us and don't humiliate us too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Golly.

Ireland to win 2 - 1

Although it would will probably go the same way as the South African tour, a first gutsy win followed by twice leading the subsequent games at 60mins before folding in the final quarter when total fatigue and end of season exhaustion hits.

This.

Unfortunately.
This

You cnuts..

Wait a minute....

NAAAAAAAAA

One Proviso

Any game James Ryan starts

we win..

verily it is written

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:02 am 

towny wrote:
Tupou could be anything. Arguably the most exciting new forward in world rugby. CAN scrum, has a big engine, good skills and crazy quick.

That late tackle after he passed the ball. :x

Missed by the NZ TMO and the all-NZ referee panel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:30 am 

picking sefa naivalu over Cam Clarke revealed atleast one of chieka's game plan, no 3's, all 5's, looks like he saw the Barbarians-England game and realized that only idiots go for 3 points instead of going for tries and Barbarians back division won them that game with sheer pace and power...maybe chieka is looking for something similar?..he probably wishes BigT wasn't going to Uk or i'm pretty sure he would also have been named..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:40 am 

comets wrote:
picking sefa naivalu over Cam Clarke revealed atleast one of chieka's game plan, no 3's, all 5's, looks like he saw the Barbarians-England game and realized that only idiots go for 3 points instead of going for tries and Barbarians back division won them that game with sheer pace and power...maybe chieka is looking for something similar?..he probably wishes BigT wasn't going to Uk or i'm pretty sure he would also have been named..

Only idiots for for 3 points in exhibition matches against scratch teams.

The Wallabies are going to need to take every point they can against Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 am 

I don’t think Big T is the right guy to play against an accurate kicking side like Ireland. It presents them with an easy target.
On the other hand Folau, DHP, Maddocks, Banks and Koroibete can counter very well if given too much room.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 am 

Olo wrote:
I don’t think Big T is the right guy to play against an accurate kicking side like Ireland. It presents them with an easy target.
On the other hand Folau, DHP, Maddocks, Banks and Koroibete can counter very well if given too much room.

Back 3 will be MK, Folonk and Hodge.

Hodge has to be in the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:59 am 

Thomas wrote:
towny wrote:

That piece of filth JB again, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:06 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Thomas wrote:
towny wrote:

Indeed it was.

He's a monster. Literally Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:41 am 

Thomas wrote:
Olo wrote:

Back 3 will be MK, Folonk and Hodge.

Hodge has to be in the team.

Yes, probably. He could also be on the bench as he doesn’t quite offer as much as say DHP in general play. Agreed though, he will probably start.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 am 

Thomas wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Thomas wrote:
towny wrote:

Indeed it was.

He's a monster. Literally Hitler.

Bigger than Hitler. More like Stalin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 153  Next