Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:00 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
hermie wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Ika, you gave away 5 more penalties than us over 3 games. Hardly the difference in the series.

Well I think it was. Especially in the second test. And so did the Irish commentators and post-match analysis after the second test, for whatever that is worth.

Try and consider what I'm saying on it's own merits instead of a slight against Ireland. It's nothing to get defensive about. A good team has good discipline and doesn't give away penalties even when pressured. It's not an insult against Ireland. You were more disciplined and pressured us more. Congratulations.

CM11 wrote:
You might have serviceable carriers but as a unit they rarely exerted pressure outside the setpiece. You will not get around the ABs as easily as us, you'll need to be able to go through them to beat them.

That's probably true considering we managed to score double the amount of tries than you did with considerably less ball. I can't imagine that ever occurring against the ABs. However the Irish team and the ABs present different challenges. For whatever it's worth, we beat the All Blacks last time we played them with less "serviceable" carriers than we currently have in the team (McMahon being an exception, who has been a massive loss). Draw what conclusions you may from that.

Discipline is the biggest issue for Australia. You got lucky with the respective yellow card count over the series. That categorically won't happen with the All Blacks who play the ref much better than we do. Unfortunately I think Cheika moaning about decisions creates a culture where the team doesn't take ownership of the problem at hand.

Yeah it's painful to see him blowing up in the commentary box, and I agree it possibly doesn't send the best message to the players.

I don't mind him blowing up in the commentary box. I'm the same watching at home, shows he's passionate about this team.

However , he should not whinge about it post match. If you have issurs, go through the proper chanels.

I'm the same at home too. But 15 minutes after the match is finished I simmer down and am happy to say, "ah f-ck it, they were just the better team". Truth is that even if you cop a harsh call here or there, the aim should just to be in a position where refereeing calls can't decide the game. As they say in combat sports, don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

You can blow up at home, and I can blow up at home, and that's okay; but the national coach has certain responsibilities. I like that he cares, but he's a representative of Australia and a representative of rugby. I don't like the image that he paints that this is a game like soccer where it's acceptable for managers to be screaming at referees with every whistle, or that Australia is a nation of whingers that aren't big enough to know that not every refereeing decision that goes against them is unfair. It's his responsibility as much as the players to send those messages to the next generation of players, the fans and the rest of the world. And uniquely for him, it's his responsibility to send that message to the Wallabies who run out on the pitch.

Maybe I take it a bit too seriously, but that's my 2c.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:
Our Joe is so boring :((

Steady Eddie and Kidney were hardly much better!

I love the clip of Swerve's try against England in 2004. Eddie does a quick clap, straightens his jacket and just sits back and folds his arms. :lol:

:lol:

TV resolution was so bad just a few short years ago (14!).

That is such a scum challenge on Girve there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

I love the clip of Swerve's try against England in 2004. Eddie does a quick clap, straightens his jacket and just sits back and folds his arms. :lol:

Fecking hell. 14 years since that try. Can remember it so well, but at the same time it's a lifetime ago.
I was doing my TY work experience at the time. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

Fecking hell. 14 years since that try. Can remember it so well, but at the same time it's a lifetime ago.
I was doing my TY work experience at the time. :lol:

I hadn't started secondary school.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm 

Fuck you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:33 pm 

Agreed Mog, you leave it to the ref, especially with the piss poor quality lately, then you risk losing to bad calls.

Ireland were better over the 3 tests and deservedly won. Cheks should not leave it to chance, train smarter or better. We don't have the talent across the park, nor the composure or smarts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:35 pm 

The Optimist wrote:
Agreed Mog, you leave it to the ref, especially with the piss poor quality lately, then you risk losing to bad calls.

Ireland were better over the 3 tests and deservedly won. Cheks should not leave it to chance, train smarter or better. We don't have the talent across the park, nor the composure or smarts.

I think you do have the talent, it's the composure and smarts which aren't quite up there across the board.
There were times where a shade more patience and less eagerness to go wide or make a big play could probably have paid more dividends for Aus, IMO.

Can't think of examples off the top of my head, but Ireland were on the ropes on occasions, but were let off by a dropped or inaccurate pass etc.

That just comes with gametime and building collective experience as a group.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

The ease at how D'Arcy makes the initial line break is embarassing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The Optimist wrote:

I think you do have the talent, it's the composure and smarts which aren't quite up there across the board.
There were times where a shade more patience and less eagerness to go wide or make a big play could probably have paid more dividends for Aus, IMO.

Agreed :thumbup:

Nolanator wrote:
Can't think of examples off the top of my head, but Ireland were on the ropes on occasions, but were let off by a dropped or inaccurate pass etc.

At the very least the last stages of the last two tests come to mind.

Nolanator wrote:
That just comes with gametime and building collective experience as a group.

I think you're right, which is why I'm also big on selection consistency. Pick players at the start of the national window who are in form, and try and stick with them as much as that's reasonable throughout that window. I actually read a very interesting sports psychology article on this written by former Wallaby prop Ben Darwin that was extremely convincing.

The Optimist wrote:

This will no doubt infuriate Irish posters <ducks for cover>, but I'll be honest with you, I think Australia were better in the first, Ireland better in the second, and the third was a coin flip. If anything I think the Wallabies were slightly better to be honest and were unlucky not to win. That's just my 2c.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 pm 

I really feel that Cheika has a lot to answer for in this series. He was once again tactically naive and was clearly out coached.

We won the first test in less than convincing fashion and he decided to go into the second with the same 23 and more or less the same game plan. This played right into JSs hands who changed some personnel bringing back his big guns and devised a game plan to blunt the Wallabies attack and breakdown. Both clearly worked a treat.
If Cheika had been clever and less arrogant he would have changed things up a bit more for the second test and he could easily have closed out the series then.
He is a good motivator and good bloke etc etc but he really lacks in humility and applying finesse to his squad. The old adage of not dropping players or changing up a lineup no longer stands in professional test rugby. He could easily have made a tweak or two to put the Irish on the back foot in the 2nd test.
This is not schoolboy or subbies rugby where a player retains his place until he is injured or plays horribly for multiple weeks in a row. Rotation, horses for courses and the return of fit better players should all be taken into account. His mis-directed sense of loyalty backfired and probably cost us the series.
Not for the first time either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:33 pm 

I admire the confidence in your squad and ability to change things up so easily. Lucky us, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 pm 

@Olo: I respectfully disagree.

With the bit about making selection changes that is (which was most of it). I believe continuity in the selections to be extremely important in building a team. Tweaking the lineup every week is not a good long term play imo. I also disagree that we won the first one in less than convincing fashion. It looked pretty convincing from my couch at home.

But I take your point about tactical changes/variety.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
@Olo: I respectfully disagree.

With the bit about making selection changes that is (which was most of it). I believe continuity in the selections to be extremely important in building a team. Tweaking the lineup every week is not a good long term play imo. I also disagree that we won the first one in less than convincing fashion. It looked pretty convincing from my couch at home.

But I take your point about tactical changes/variety.

Personally I thought there were a few important changes he could have made. More importantly and those aside we played into Schmidts hands by basically going in with a very similar game plan. It was easy for them to counter. Our Kicking game picked apart and Pocock nullified.

I agree in continuity in selection to a point. If there is an obviously better selection in a player that gives you different strengths against a certain opposition then use him. None of those players, Foley aside, are guaranteed selection at any time. If the coach does not need you for a certain test there is no shame in that. Hansen does it so well with the ABs making a few changes for every test that are rarely injury or form based.

Live and learn. We need plans A, B and C for the RWC because if we play the same way from start to finish it will most likely end in the quarters or semis(lofty aspirations for the bogpoms I know).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:57 pm 

Ifs and buts from the Ozpoms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:14 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

Not really. We were out thought and outplayed.........again.
Cheika needs to take a bit of a look in the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm 

Olo wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

So you admit you're Ozpoms or once were poms.

Last edited by lorcanoworms on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Olo wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

So you admit your Ozpoms or once were poms.

Some, but I doubt those brown ones have UK heritage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:44 pm 

There is a lingering foul british odour in a very tiny section of Australian society.
We are truly multi national and are made up of peoples whose heritage is spread far and wide across the globe.

Unlike the bogpoms who are 100% pommy heritage, except for that poach......Aki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:49 pm 

Once a pom always a pom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:56 pm 

Hey Aussies, how do you feel about the “desert-rats” tag? Or do you prefer Ozpoms?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Once a pom always a pom.

The bogpom label really stings doesn't it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm 

That Towny cúnt shown himself yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm 

Zakar wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Once a pom always a pom.

Not to a city slicker type.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:26 pm 

Zakar wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Once a pom always a pom.

Shut your hole desert rat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm 

Olo wrote:
There is a lingering foul british odour in a very tiny section of Australian society.
We are truly multi national and are made up of peoples whose heritage is spread far and wide across the globe.

You guys are all the same to me.

Can you explain the 100% pommy heritage thing? Look forward to you making a fool of yourself.. desert rat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Olo wrote:

Can you explain the 100% pommy heritage thing? Look forward to you making a fool of yourself.. desert rat.

Let the thread die. You boys have dozens of others to post in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm 

Irish posters win the foruming as well. :smug: :thumbup:

This desert rat thing is going to be big.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm 

Olo wrote:

When are you going to become a republic then and stop kissing ass to some geriatric in London and get your own flag?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 pm 

Bogan poms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Olo wrote:

100% bogpom heritage. Basically the same thing as a pom, just with a more charming accent. Unless you're from Cork...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 pm 

YOYO wrote:

M8, you got flogged at the foruming. One of your swarmists spent pages getting all pissy about Riverdance.

I quite like desert rat. Reminds me of the Australian war heroes known as the 'Rats of Tobruk', who defeated Rommells Afrika Corps during WWII. You know, the one where you were cowards and willing to roll over and let Hitler tickle your tum tum?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Olo wrote:

When are you going to become a republic then and stop kissing ass to some geriatric in London and get your own flag?

Will never happen. Bootlickers for life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:57 pm 

Zakar wrote:
YOYO wrote:

M8, you got flogged at the foruming. One of your swarmists spent pages getting all pissy about Riverdance.

I quite like desert rat. Reminds me of the Australian war heroes known as the 'Rats of Tobruk', who defeated Rommells Afrika Corps during WWII. You know, the one where you were cowards and willing to roll over and let Hitler tickle your tum tum?

Well, we had just won our freedom from the motherland and were just getting on our feet.
Best of luck with that in the future, if you need us as consultants on the issue, give us a shout, you know we will be there for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Zakar wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Well, we had just won our freedom from the motherland and were just getting on our feet.
Best of luck with that in the future, if you need us as consultants on the issue, give us a shout, you know we will be there for you.

Whatabout that little bit at the top of the map?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:07 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Zakar wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Whatabout that little bit at the top of the map?

Port Hedland?
Heard that’s a bit of a kip

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 am 

Zakar wrote:
YOYO wrote:

It's best if you don't encourage him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153