Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:09 pm 

So the first choice Lions tight head can’t scrum because he lost one scrum when coming on as a sub against Australia. Okay Towny you got us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
So the first choice Lions tight head can’t scrum because he lost one scrum when coming on as a sub against Australia. Okay Towny you got us.

tbf, he was being eaten in the previous scrum too.

I would like to see a replay - was he wearing rugby boots or roller skates? Might explain a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
Don't think you can say that at all. Roux is a monster and is usually very good in the scrums.
Whatever about the rest of his play, that's probably his area of greatest strength.

well the odds are that he was fvcking useless in the scrum on Satruday ..... in keeping with the rest of his performance when he came on.

Furlongs first scrum was grand IIRC, followed by an implosion as soon as hendo went off .... I think its fairly obvious who's to blame

no idea why Roux is in the squad .... hopefully Beirne will supplant him, Dillane gets his finger out and/or Donncha Ryan comes back to Ireland before the world cup .... cos if Roux is in our world cup squad then thats not a great look for Ireland's depth chart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Don't think you can say that at all. Roux is a monster and is usually very good in the scrums.
Whatever about the rest of his play, that's probably his area of greatest strength.

well the odds are that he was fvcking useless in the scrum on Satruday ..... in keeping with the rest of his performance when he came on.

Furlongs first scrum was grand IIRC, followed by an implosion as soon as hendo went off .... I think its fairly obvious who's to blame

no idea why Roux is in the squad .... hopefully Beirne will supplant him, Dillane gets his finger out and/or Donncha Ryan comes back to Ireland before the world cup .... cos if Roux is in our world cup squad then thats not a great look for Ireland's depth chart

Furlong came on at 47 mins. First scrum at 57 mins I think (against Sio). Packing behind him is Henderson. Ireland wins the ball but Furlong is 3 metres closer to his own goalposts whilst Henderson is spinning out of the scrum in a spurt of self preservation.

Is that the definition of 'grand'? Not being destroyed but struggling to win your own ball? Maybe that's what we didn't understand when you said he was 'a great prop'. To me he seems to be full of potential but wouldn't be close to the top 10 THPs in the world. Not f*cking close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtkYbyb_Zc&t=4170s

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm 

towny wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
de_Selby wrote:

Furlong came on at 47 mins. First scrum at 57 mins I think (against Sio). Packing behind him is Henderson. Ireland wins the ball but Furlong is 3 metres closer to his own goalposts whilst Henderson is spinning out of the scrum in a spurt of self preservation.

Is that the definition of 'grand'? Not being destroyed but struggling to win your own ball? Maybe that's what we didn't understand when you said he was 'a great prop'. To me he seems to be full of potential but wouldn't be close to the top 10 THPs in the world. Not f*cking close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtkYbyb_Zc&t=4170s

You literally posted a clip of neither scrum moving an inch, despite the Aussies (on their put-in) looking to get the schove on, before being told to use it by the ref.

FIAL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

at 57 minutes, Ireland has the scrum feed.

Ref even tells Furlong "it was pretty good before you came on..."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 pm 

So why'd you post a link to the scrum at 58'?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
So why'd you post a link to the scrum at 58'?

I posted a link to the full game. Didn't know that it would open at 58. By the way, that oz scrum at 58 is rock f*cking solid... against all those Lions. Our THP is 22 years old, so he is.

Maybe he's the best in the world? Definitely better around the park than Furlong too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm 

So, sequence of events is:

New prop (Furlong) comes on. First scrum (Ireland ball, 57') is messy. First engage is all over the shop and the ref calls a reset. He actually comments that the other side pre-engaged and that it was fine before Healy (and Cronin) came on. So, nothing at all to do with Furlong.
Second attempt is OK, but Furlong is never set properly and Sio gets under him. Furlong struggles and gets lifted, but his feet don't go backwards (3 metres, FFS :roll: ). Ball is away cleanly, but Murray makes a hash of his break, leading directly to the next scrum.

Second scrum, 58'. Aussie put-in. Ball hooked straight to the back and Genia walks around behind the scrum and waits for something to happen. Aus clearly looking to get the shove on, neither pack budges. Ref calls "Use it now 6, it's not going forward". Genia nips back up to the scrum and passes away.

Next scrum isn't until 65'. Quin Roux now on for Henderson. Aussie put-in after Larmour fails to catch an intercept. Ball in and hooked, bit of huffing and puffing on Furlong's side, but nothing of note. If anything, Healy gets the nudge up on his side. The scrum rotates a bit, but Furlong doesn't step back again.

That's three scrums without issue on our TH side.

Fourth scrum comes under the Irish sticks after defending a 14 phase attack. Your boy Thor is on by now. Irish put-in, Aussie pack times and 8 man shove perfectly for when Cronin has his foot up hooking. Furlong's side gets hammered and concedes the penalty. He doesn't actually buckle or collapse. His flanker and lock lose each other and there's not drive from any player down that side.
Fair dinikum, excellent scrum Aus.
The Aussies all congratulate your THP, FWIW. He gets across and fucks up Cronin during that drive, so the cohesiveness of the Irish scrum unit disintegrates. All the pressure is transferred to the far side, probably why Furlong's side got hammered. The Aussie LHP makes hay and shoves hard.

Final scrum is at 78'. Aussie put-in. Slight nudge up on the LH side, slight step back from Furlong. Aus pass the ball and go on the attack. The fact that it was an Aus put-in probably meant that they couldn't just focus on going after Cronin.

So, to summarise. Furlong was on for five scrums. Four were completed without fuss, one of them despite Aus going for the drive and getting nothing.
The fifth was a hammering, which happened because the Thor guy destroyed our hooker and all the pressure came through Furlong's side.

What scrums were you watching?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

Different ones from you if you think Furlong isn't losing the shove every f*cking time.

By Australia's 4th or 5th choice LHP I might add..... he's 19.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm 

He "loses" two. Watch them, I even said what times they're at.

One is a manshaming where Aus got an 8 man drive on and targetting Cronin from the TH side. The other he "lost" was taking one step back in the 78th minute.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm 

Let's just say that Furlong is not a great scrummaging THP and spend our energy discussing players who are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm 

The swarm will be doing extra hail marys this week, will be a rough time for them if they lose again to Oz.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm 

towny wrote:
Let's just say that Furlong is not a great scrummaging THP and spend our energy discussing players who are.

Leave scrummaging talk to the big boys, kid. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:

Leave scrummaging talk to the big boys, kid. :lol:

:lol:

Oh, is that the plums who bigged up this Furlong nobody as 'best in the world'? Please name these big boys as I'm keen to single them out for ridicule.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm 

Andalu wrote:
The swarm will be doing extra hail marys this week, will be a rough time for them if they lose again to Oz.

Not really, we're 6N champs and Leinster have won everything. Pretty good season all told.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 pm 

Furlong, lost one scrum (as a result of his hooker being done) in five = Can't scrum. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Andalu wrote:

Not really, we're 6N champs and Leinster have won everything. Pretty good season all told.

You should be proud. Even though the world's best rugby nations and clubs don't play in your competitions, winning them is still a great honour. I for one like NH rugby. It's great to watch some of my favourite players from 10 years ago still running around and having fun. It's like a transition to golden oldies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 pm 

How many golden oldies who were favourites of yours ten years ago (not just emerging players) are still running around and winning stuff in the NH?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Furlong, lost one scrum (as a result of his hooker being done) in five = Can't scrum. :lol:

I didn't mean to infer he couldn't scrum. He's just not a world class THP. I don't know what's so offensive about this obviously true statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm 

towny wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Andalu wrote:

You should be proud. Even though the world's best rugby nations and clubs don't play in your competitions, winning them is still a great honour. I for one like NH rugby. It's great to watch some of my favourite players from 10 years ago still running around and having fun. It's like a transition to golden oldies.

Oh man you're trying hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

I saw Lachie Turner played in tha final. He was too slow for super Rugby and couldn’t get a contract 3 years ago. He’s one of many.

He was a fine player in his day (2011) so don’t begrudge him anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

No doubt George Smith will be heading that way in a year or two.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm 

towny wrote:
I saw Lachie Turner played in tha final. He was too slow for super Rugby and couldn’t get a contract 3 years ago. He’s one of many.

He was a fine player in his day (2011) so don’t begrudge him anything.

So he's not winning anything?

2018-2011=10, yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
there is a simple reason why Furlong was under pressure and the tighthead side of the scrum buckled at that point ..... namely the fact that henderson got subbed and quinn roux came on.

I didn't think it possible but towny has been outdone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm 

He was shit 3 years ago but still had a contract. Good player in 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm 

towny wrote:

So, he wasn't a favourite of yours ten years ago and he's not still running around winning stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm 

Jesus Thomas, have mercy on the fish! Leave some for other anglers too. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:54 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

You had your prescription checked recently?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:

So, he wasn't a favourite of yours ten years ago and he's not still running around winning stuff.

Australia won the RC in 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

There are nearly 50 posts in this thread, 42 of them are Irish lunching on "Furlong isn't any good" bait. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm 

towny wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:

So he's not still winning stuff up north.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

There are nearly 50 posts in this thread, 42 of them are Irish lunching on "Furlong isn't any good" bait. :lol:

That fabled defense. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:06 pm 

towny wrote:

Turner was done at international level by 2011. Played in the joke of a money-spinner in December after the World Cup as his only test of the season and didn't get another cap. His peak years would have been 2008/2009.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
towny wrote:

So he's not still winning stuff up north.

Is that so? Watch much rugby do you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

Wonder how Pops Fardy is doing..... Nacewa?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm 

Towny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm 

towny wrote:
Wonder how Pops Fardy is doing..... Nacewa?

towny wrote:
I for one like NH rugby. It's great to watch some of my favourite players from 10 years ago still running around and having fun. It's like a transition to golden oldies.

:roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Fardy
Code:
Season   Team   Games
2008     Force    0

Big fan of the Aukland Blues back in 2008, yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm 

kiap wrote:
towny wrote:

Turner was done at international level by 2011. Played in the joke of a money-spinner in December after the World Cup as his only test of the season and didn't get another cap. His peak years would have been 2008/2009.

My bad. Good to see he’s one of the star backs of NH rugby now. I guess he rediscovered his pace and mojo when he hit his 40’s. I’ve been told that this isn’t all that uncommon in golf.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
Towny

Agreed. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next