Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 17609
This guy is just 17 ffs and has been the dominant player in all of France's games this JWC. He has another three years at this level! :lol:

Ridiculous


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19069
Location: Wandering around Europe
brunel should get half that team on a plane to nz right now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25014
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
He was amazing last night, brilliant all round game :thumbup: his breakdown work was excellent.

Mad that England play a one dimensional bosher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11609
Diego wrote:
This guy is just 17 ffs and has been the dominant player in all of France's games this JWC. He has another three years at this level! :lol:

Ridiculous


18 next month, so think it's only another two years.

Pretty much nailed on for player of the tournament though, even before the final.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 17609
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old as good. Frightening potential.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 46488
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 17609
JM2K6 wrote:
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.

Fair point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34997
Location: Hut 8
JM2K6 wrote:
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.

It's not just his size but his athleticism with it. He also makes good decisions which is rare from Fre players, let alone ones of that age.

I've been dreaming of him and Macalou in a back row together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO7MOj-iGw

Dreaming because we'll see the likes of Le Roux instead :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 46488
Yes, his athleticism is great, but it's his size that makes it count. It'll be a different challenge at pro level.

Long way to go though, nothing to worry about yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 17609
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.

It's not just his size but his athleticism with it. He also makes good decisions which is rare from Fre players, let alone ones of that age.

I've been dreaming of him and Macalou in a back row together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO7MOj-iGw

Dreaming because we'll see the likes of Le Roux instead :?

Say what you will about Dork Lard, but he has a very good youtube channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11036
The lad has some good skills and makes good decision. He was not the biggest on the pitch yesterday so I do not quite buy the fact that it all down to size and bulk.

Lots of potential there indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34997
Location: Hut 8
JM2K6 wrote:
Yes, his athleticism is great, but it's his size that makes it count. It'll be a different challenge at pro level.

Long way to go though, nothing to worry about yet.

Agree. Power and pace are a serious combo. He also tackles well and offloads too.

He's also another from Sarcelles to go with Slimani, Cancoriet and Macalou. Not bad from a poor, massively under resourced banlieue.

My cousin's daughter might make the first women's cap from the club. [/globus]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6597
Location: Stockholm
The acceleration and power is scary.

How big is he, I wonder?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12567
La soule wrote:
The lad has some good skills and makes good decision. He was not the biggest on the pitch yesterday so I do not quite buy the fact that it all down to size and bulk.

Lots of potential there indeed.


He was smaller than I expected having read this thread first. Still a big unit, but not all Lomu, men against boys type scenario. What a talent at 17!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34997
Location: Hut 8
Mog The Almighty wrote:
The acceleration and power is scary.

How big is he, I wonder?

I don't have up to date figures. He doesn't even figure on the Racing site but he is 6ft 2 and when he was at Massy, he is said to have been around 18 stone! A bit too heavy for me. Would like to see him down at 17.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34997
Location: Hut 8
mr bungle wrote:
La soule wrote:
The lad has some good skills and makes good decision. He was not the biggest on the pitch yesterday so I do not quite buy the fact that it all down to size and bulk.

Lots of potential there indeed.


He was smaller than I expected having read this thread first. Still a big unit, but not all Lomu, men against boys type scenario. What a talent at 17!

France has been pretty parochial and pretty sh*t at resourcing places like Sarcelles, Pierrefitte and any number of impoverished, immigrant suburbs in cities around France. Instead, wasting money on "academies" to poach players from places like Fiji. There have been loads of kids who have slipped the net because there were no proper routes to professionalism. Massy has been almost a one man show in Paris to that end (Don Billy would know better and possibly disagree).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 31923
Location: Perth
Diego wrote:
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old as good. Frightening potential.


The kids that played against NZ schoolboys team with Lomu might disagree with you, but I can't think of anyone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25014
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
I thought his decision making, workrate and breakdown work were excellent.

I won’t bother fapping over his ballcarrrying acceleration :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1350
Location: The Gardens
Lets see how it pans out on senior rugby.

Zach Mercer was absolutely ripping it up in the u20s with his pace, power and footwork. Now in the seniors he is seen as being too lightweight for international rugby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11609
Mercer was never too much of a power runner in the U20s from memory. Was more the ball skills, pace and footwork. Always looked like senior rugby would be a step up on the physical side.

Joseph looks a different sort of player and is dominating at this level at a younger age. Senior rugby still a big step up when he starts running at bigger men, but he's got a pretty good starting hand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4023
Location: Gaillimh
Diego wrote:
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old as good. Frightening potential.


Dear Mr Potential, may I introduce you to Mr Top14? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19784
Location: balbriggan
Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
Diego wrote:
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old as good. Frightening potential.


Dear Mr Potential, may I introduce you to Mr RacingMetro92 :lol:

Fixed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2344
Isn't that Dork Lard's youtube channel?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34997
Location: Hut 8
Laurent wrote:
Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
Diego wrote:
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old as good. Frightening potential.


Dear Mr Potential, may I introduce you to Mr RacingMetro92 :lol:

Fixed

Sadly this. At least Bamba isn't playing for a boring, 1D T14 side.......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11036
I liked what I saw of the Woki as well. Very different but very athletic, handy jumper and good tackler.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 46488
Angry_Bull wrote:
Lets see how it pans out on senior rugby.

Zach Mercer was absolutely ripping it up in the u20s with his pace, power and footwork. Now in the seniors he is seen as being too lightweight for international rugby.


Clifford might be a better comparison.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20049
Angry_Bull wrote:
Lets see how it pans out on senior rugby.

Zach Mercer was absolutely ripping it up in the u20s with his pace, power and footwork. Now in the seniors he is seen as being too lightweight for international rugby.


I don't see him as to lightweight, however he is for Eddie Jones' game plan for England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27548
JM2K6 wrote:
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.


Sorry everyone, I forgot I was logged in with my JM2K6 login there. Won't make the same mistake again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4023
Location: Gaillimh
JM2K6 wrote:
We'll see. He's absolutely massive for his age, which counts for a lot at that level.


Sorry everyone, I forgot I was logged in with my JM2K6 login there. Won't make the same mistake again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3124
Has he played pro yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19784
Location: balbriggan
Andalu wrote:
Has he played pro yet?

no

you cannot when under 18

he would have played D2 with Massy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3124
Laurent wrote:
Andalu wrote:
Has he played pro yet?

no

you cannot when under 18

he would have played D2 with Massy

D2 is senior though, correct?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19784
Location: balbriggan
Andalu wrote:
Laurent wrote:
Andalu wrote:
Has he played pro yet?

no

you cannot when under 18

he would have played D2 with Massy

D2 is senior though, correct?

Yes he has not as it is pro

he has been robbed by Racing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5185
Margin_Walker wrote:
Mercer was never too much of a power runner in the U20s from memory. Was more the ball skills, pace and footwork. Always looked like senior rugby would be a step up on the physical side.

Joseph looks a different sort of player and is dominating at this level at a younger age. Senior rugby still a big step up when he starts running at bigger men, but he's got a pretty good starting hand.


Yeah, even when he was ripping it up at No8 in the U20s the talk was of what position Mercer might need to switch to because of his lack of bulk. He was strong for his size, but his size was unexceptional.

I don't think there is any doubt about Joseph's size being enough for top level rugby at No8.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3124
He has more to him than just raw physical advantage over age grade players, but it will still be interesting to see him go up into the pro levels and see if he is still as effective.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5185
eldanielfire wrote:
Angry_Bull wrote:
Lets see how it pans out on senior rugby.

Zach Mercer was absolutely ripping it up in the u20s with his pace, power and footwork. Now in the seniors he is seen as being too lightweight for international rugby.


I don't see him as to lightweight, however he is for Eddie Jones' game plan for England.


I'm not sure he's any more lightweight than Sam Simmonds, Ben Earl or Ben Curry. I think Eddie likes to flirt with a few young guys and see which ones perform better in international level and it's just not Zach's turn this time. He's part of the training squads, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25014
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
La soule wrote:
The lad has some good skills and makes good decision. He was not the biggest on the pitch yesterday so I do not quite buy the fact that it all down to size and bulk.

Lots of potential there indeed.


He was smaller than I expected having read this thread first. Still a big unit, but not all Lomu, men against boys type scenario. What a talent at 17!

France has been pretty parochial and pretty sh*t at resourcing places like Sarcelles, Pierrefitte and any number of impoverished, immigrant suburbs in cities around France. Instead, wasting money on "academies" to poach players from places like Fiji. There have been loads of kids who have slipped the net because there were no proper routes to professionalism. Massy has been almost a one man show in Paris to that end (Don Billy would know better and possibly disagree).


A couple of mates play for ris orangis which isn’t far from massy :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19069
Location: Wandering around Europe
englishchief wrote:
Isn't that Dork Lard's youtube channel?

yep
shame he's gone, quite liked him
hounded off the bored by the swarm for picking on their side's "athleticism" :thumbdown:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3124
Akkerman wrote:
englishchief wrote:
Isn't that Dork Lard's youtube channel?

yep
shame he's gone, quite liked him
hounded off the bored by the swarm for picking on their side's "athleticism" :thumbdown:

At least he posted mainly about rugby and was clearly enthusiastic about it. Just needed to change his communication style and he'd be better than some of the regular posters on here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2344
Andalu wrote:
Akkerman wrote:
englishchief wrote:
Isn't that Dork Lard's youtube channel?

yep
shame he's gone, quite liked him
hounded off the bored by the swarm for picking on their side's "athleticism" :thumbdown:

At least he posted mainly about rugby and was clearly enthusiastic about it. Just needed to change his communication style and he'd be better than some of the regular posters on here.


He was excellent, I hope he comes back


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Birdy, BrockJamesFanClub, Chilli, danthefan, Fangle, Fat Old Git, FullbackAce, Google Adsense [Bot], harry 22, HurricaneWasp, iarmhiman, inactionman, jinxed, Lacrobat, Madness, Margin_Walker, OttawaKat, ovalball, pjm1, RWC2015, Tussock, Wendigo7, Wilderbeast, Zico and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group