Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not-A-Flamethrower
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am 

Quote:
There’s no question that Elon Musk is one of the most important visionaries of our times. His work will contribute heavily to shaping up the future, whether we’re talking about personal transportation, space travel or artificial intelligence.

But the Not-A-Flamethrower flamethrower that Musk’s Boring company is now shipping is one of the most idiotic things he could have ever come up with. Well, OK, even if he didn’t personally invent the thing, it’s still his company that’s making it. For $500 you get a mostly functional flamethrower that looks like a weapon, and may indeed act as one. And before artificial intelligence does take over the world, as Musk fears, he’s certainly making it easier for stupid human intelligence to do harm with this cool product.

The flamethrower is a brilliant marketing ploy to get the world talking about Boring, Musk’s company that’s supposed to drill mazes of tunnels below ground where high-speed trains will travel at impressive speeds between cities one day. And it totally works. I, like many others, am talking about Boring right now because of the flamethrower that’s shipping to buyers.

The company sold 20,000 units already, with the first 1,000 being distributed at an event at the Boring Company in Los Angeles.

Musk is thrilled about the product, posting a serious of tweets about the entire affair.

It’s all fun and games until someone somewhere will use these things either to do some harm intentionally or to harm themselves accidentally. I bet Musk and Boring will avoid taking any responsibility when that happens.

Soon, 20,000 people will get to play with a cool-looking, affordable, fire-spitting gun. Let’s hope nothing terrible happens involving Not-A-Flamethrowers.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/elon-musk-thinks-his-flamethrowers-will-revolutionize-bbqs/

Post subject: Re: Not-A-Flamethrower
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am 

It seems to "shoot" about 5ft...

I'm not really sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist here.

After 2 minutes searching, and for $70 more, I could instead buy a 5.56mm semi automatic AR-15...

https://www.impactguns.com/diamondback- ... 17554.aspx

I know which I consider more dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am 

It's name is appropriate. It's not a flamethrower.

This is a flame-thrower: https://youtu.be/aPQYK5ZMbWY?t=1167

You could recreate that marketing ploy Musk is selling by holding a lighter in front of an aerosol spray. If those things should be made illegal, we also need to make illegal gas torches and barbeques. It's a toy, not a weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
You could recreate that marketing ploy Musk is selling by holding a lighter in front of an aerosol spray.

Something that me and my brother did frequently as kids using our Mum's hairspray, with varying degrees of singed fringes and eyebrows to show for our adventure.

LÓreal Elenett is a seriously flammable product.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm 

Azlan Roar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
You could recreate that marketing ploy Musk is selling by holding a lighter in front of an aerosol spray.

Something that me and my brother did frequently as kids using our Mum's hairspray, with varying degrees of singed fringes and eyebrows to show for our adventure.

LÓreal Elenett is a seriously flammable product.

My grandfather would agree vigorously with that after I torched his shed when I was about 10 with grandma's elenett.

Petrol, old paint and turpentine result in quite a conflagration!