Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm 

Yes its racist.

The greater crime is that he actually thought it was funny and defended it as such. It was painfully unfunny and laboured.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Is Alan Sugar racist?

Clearly he is. Doesn't mean he is a card carrying member of the KKK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Akkerman wrote:
thread is going well, but i'm out of popcorn :(

Popcorn all looks the same to me

Snackist. There is more genetic diversity within a bag of sweet and salt popcorn than between any two potato based snacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

Snackist. There is more genetic diversity within a bag of sweet and salt popcorn than between any two potato based snacks.

I just asked my maize based girlfriend and she can't tell the difference either, so there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:03 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

And fudge it, they all do look the same. They all have the same skin-colour, the same uniform, the same hair colour, the same eye colour, the same hair texture and very similar haircuts. That's just a fact. Let's not pretend it's racist to notice facts.

sigh

sigh what exactly?

When the real racists show up, it's going to be on you lot of falsely outraged SJWs, not people who just speak honestly and plainly.

Sigh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
World Class Phil wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Ika, can you not spot the difference between you being able to discern more minor differences between Caucasian individuals than black/Asian people, and you claiming that it's a fact that there are more subtle differences amongst white people?

It is a fact mate. The difference between curly red hair and blue eyes and straight blonde hair and green eyes is bigger than the difference between one Asian's straight dark hair and dark brown eyes and another Asian's straight dark hair and dark brown eyes.

This is not a subjective thing. It's an objective fact of reality if the concept of similarity means anything at all. And it's not racist to accept it. It's just a fact of our genetics, for whatever reason.

You're just reclaiming similarity from a white perspective like other's have said White people seem to have focused on hair colour and eye colour as the primary differing factors. Repeating this just reiterates that you're simply unwilling or unable to view it from a different perspective. Those differences are pretty superficial to be honest, two faces with a similar bone structure and feature arrangement would still look very similar even if they both had different coloured hair and eyes. If you took a closer look at the Sengalese players you'd notice that *surprise surprise* they have different faces and aren't one homogeneous group.

And as to your dad's Chinese wife, I'd chalk that down to internalising Asian stereotypes and repeating them to gain favour in a white audience. I don't know how fobby she is or not, maybe she grew up in Australia amongst White people. Among native Asians they will often think that Whites look very similar to each other.

Jesus Christ the stupidity is baffling.

It's not "white perspective" it's f-cking well an objective fact of reality. I could write an unthinking computer algorithm that would recognize a lesser similarity between curly red hair and straight blonde hair than it woukd straight dark hair and straight dark hair. That wouldnt make it a racist computer program ffs.

Like I said before even my Dad's Chinese wife laughs about this. Literally the only people who think its racist to acknowledge are privileged Westerners with nothing better to pretend to be outraged about

It's a subjective fact of your reality. Maybe just accept that other people use more than hair and eye colour to differentiate people. Not sure why you're so adamant to label it the objective truth, does it really hurt you to think otherwise?

Like I said, internalised racism. Minorities will often take a minstrel role and regurgitate white stereotypes about their people in order to be accepted, just because you're blissfully unaware doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

I just asked my maize based girlfriend and she can't tell the difference either, so there.

Is she a corn dolly?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

Popcorn is a one-way ticket on the fat train. Next stop: your thighs. Choo Choo!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

Has anyone declared that Sugar IS racist?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Ika, can you not spot the difference between you being able to discern more minor differences between Caucasian individuals than black/Asian people, and you claiming that it's a fact that there are more subtle differences amongst white people?

It is a fact mate. The difference between curly red hair and blue eyes and straight blonde hair and green eyes is bigger than the difference between one Asian's straight dark hair and dark brown eyes and another Asian's straight dark hair and dark brown eyes.

This is not a subjective thing. It's an objective fact of reality if the concept of comparative similarity means anything at all. And it's not racist to accept it. It's just a fact of our genetics, for whatever reason.

It's subjective depending on your own experience

[url]en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm 

pandion wrote:
Worlds a dead n boring place without bants. I sometimes think a lot of snowflakes should spend more time in the pub and less staring at a screen. Having said that you need a sense of humour for that which most don't seem to have.

Snowflakes all look the same to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:

Twitter probably has.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm 

Ika, all you've discussed is pigmentation, which is but one aspect of appearance. Growing in up a predominantly white society would train you to use things like colouring as your primary way of telling people apart. After all, it's the most obvious. Then you'd use stuff like facial structure etc to further differentiate individual appearance.
Stands to reason that if you grow up in a society dominated by less diverse colouring (dark hair in Han Chinese, or something), you'd instinctively use other traits to tell people apart. It's down to what you're used to.

You're saying that you find it harder to see differences in pigment from person to person in races that have predominantly dark colouring (whether that's hair or skin tone).
That's not contentious. In fact, it's probably a fact that it's easier to discern differences in pigmentation on a person with generally paler colouring. That's not all there is to "appearance", though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

Presume she’s called Maizie ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Twitter probably has.

I am prepared to accept that this tweet confirms Sugar as racist...if only to feel better about describing Healy as a stamper.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:08 pm 

To be racist is to feel or show discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or to believe a particular race is superior to another.

The key term here is "or show". Sugar doesn't have to hate anyone or feel he is superior to the Senegalese, but he does clearly show a prejudice towards black, African men by joking that he had seen these men before on the beach in Marbella.

This argument as to whether or not certain posters can distinguish between the players in the team photo is utterly stupid. Do some of you think Sugar actually believed he had seen any of those men in Marbella because otherwise, what fecking relevance does it have to the tweet?

There are hawkers from all over North and sub-Saharan Africa in Spain - there are not significantly more from Senegal than from other countries and just like in Senegal, those countries boast a varying range of physical features, including hair colour, hair texture and eye colour. Few of the hawkers he saw on the beach were wearing the same uniform as these players and many of them would've had very different hair.

It is casual racism, it's not at the higher end of the scale but it is still racist. It is a person of influence and fame, trying to get a few laughs by typecasting elite and professional sportsmen from a single country to a whole variety of men from across a half continent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 pm 

I don't know what this place would do without the seemingly endless fine definitions of racism from earnest Irish posters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
I don't know what this place would do without the seemingly endless fine definitions of racism from earnest Irish posters.

Doesn't bear thinking about really.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm 

This thread does remind me of a scene in the very underrated Barney Miller when they arrested an older man and a younger women and brought them down to the precinct. The old man was claiming to be the woman's father which she denied. He turned to Detective Yemana and said "come on, don't you think we look alike?" Yemena said "I don't think I'm the right person to ask that."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm 

BH Cammy wrote:
Rubbish joke, also a little racist. Very bad choice by a man in his position.

Barney Miller was the precinct captain. Yemena was just a beat detective. I think we can grant him a little leeway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm 

BH Cammy wrote:
Rubbish joke, also a little racist. Very bad choice by a man in his position.

Trump has opened the door for people to be less pc. I kind of like that effect. But even if Sugar thinks it was a joke, not everyone would interpret it like that, which is small minded on Sugar’s part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:39 pm 

Ashamed of their nazi sympathising past I suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 pm 

To me, they do all look the same.

In the same way that I'd guess a Korean would think all whities look the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 am 

:x :x Will you cnuts stop arguing about whether or not it was racist and tell me how it's supposed to be a joke? Aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 am 

J Man wrote:

On the All Whites theme

Quote:
World Cup 2018: South Korea coach made players swap shirts to confuse 'Swedish spies'

South Korea’s manager made his players wear different shirts in pre-World Cup friendlies to confuse 'Swedish spies'.

Shin Tae-yong devised the clever plan ahead of South Korea's high-pressure World Cup opening game against Sweden on Monday.

"We switched them around because we didn't want to show our opponents everything and try to confuse them," Shin Tae-yong told a press conference in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

"They might know a few of our players but it is very difficult for Westerners to distinguish between Asians and that's why we did that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 am 

Mr Mike wrote:
J Man wrote:

On the All Whites theme

Quote:
World Cup 2018: South Korea coach made players swap shirts to confuse 'Swedish spies'

South Korea’s manager made his players wear different shirts in pre-World Cup friendlies to confuse 'Swedish spies'.

Shin Tae-yong devised the clever plan ahead of South Korea's high-pressure World Cup opening game against Sweden on Monday.

"We switched them around because we didn't want to show our opponents everything and try to confuse them," Shin Tae-yong told a press conference in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

"They might know a few of our players but it is very difficult for Westerners to distinguish between Asians and that's why we did that.

:lol:

Now that’s how to turn that racism frown upside down

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 am 

So is the Korean soccer coach racist in acknowledging that Caucasians think Asians look similar?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 am 

J Man wrote:
So is the Korean soccer coach racist in acknowledging that Caucasians think Asians look similar?

If I had to spy on the Finland team or the Senegal team I would have to identify the players by the numbers on their jerseys as I would the Korean team. I've got no idea who they are. Unless people look strikingly different you tend to recognise them through seeing them a few times. Saying all the Senegalese players look the same is like saying you can't tell Usain Bolt, Kanye West apart from their facial features.
I've only just looked at that picture of the Senegal team and people saying they all look the same are lying. Next you will be saying Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee look like twins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am 

They all look the same to Mog, which is fair enough. Where he comes unstuck is in insisting that his personal perception, based on a couple of obvious distinguishing factors, is objective truth and that anybody who doesn't see it the same way is being wilfully stupid.

All of which takes us a fair way from what makes Sugar's little joke racist. Which is that he's taken his own "they all look the same" and used it to casually belittle a group of African footballers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:44 am 

Nolanator wrote:
What do New Yorkers look like?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 am 

What is it with those guys in the photo that makes them look like beach sellers in Marbella ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
fishooks15 wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
What bit is "racist"?

It's just a shit joke.

The joke is premised on the idea that all West Africans look the same. It's textbook racist

And, not even funny.

I had some amusing conversations in west Africa where it was common acceptance that all white people looked the same. Generally we were just called 'Obruni' which is slang for any white foreigner. There was zero negative association with the word and was often used to get your attention in a crowd. Outside of obvious markers like hair colour or facial hair most whites were seen as indistinguishable. Gingers though were hunted down and their parts sold down the local fetish markets.

In East Africa they use 'Mzungu' - basically means 'white person'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am 

I miss the days when your grandma would call the asian lads "pakis" and the only uncomfortable groans came from the family around the table. Twitter has taken those awkward face palm moments and broadcasted them to the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:53 am 

Plato'sCave wrote:
What is it with those guys in the photo that makes them look like beach sellers in Marbella ?

Do we have a photo of those Marbella beach sellers?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 am 

fishooks15 wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
What bit is "racist"?

It's just a shit joke.

The joke is premised on the idea that all West Africans look the same. It's textbook racist

And, not even funny.

He clearly does not think they all look the same
a) He only "recognised" some of these guys, so can see a difference
b) He did not reference any of the Nigerian squad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am 

Ffs it was a shit comment not funny.
Move the feck on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:17 am 

c69 wrote:
Move the feck on.

I suspect, as is often the case, the reactions on here partly reflect people's opinion of the author (in this case Sugar).

Those who dislike him anyway, will condemn him as Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:
Move the feck on.

I suspect, as is often the case, the reactions on here partly reflect people's opinion of the author (in this case Sugar).

I don't know him from a bar of soap. It was a shit joke that was a bit racist.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 am 

Zakar wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:
Move the feck on.

Bar of soap huh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:50 am 

Zakar wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:
Move the feck on.

Bar of soap huh.

Is he Jewish? Did I accidentally make a terrible Jewish joke? :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next