Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gilbert rugby balls
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm 

Really good at losing air/developing leaks at the ends.

In contrast I have a Mikasa rugby ball that with the same construction holds air very well in comparison.

Post subject: Re: Gilbert rugby balls
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm 

Never had this trouble with any reputable (and some non-reputable) brand. Certainly not so you’d notice over the course of a day long 7s tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:58 pm 

We've had this issue at our club with certain Gilbert models, but some different ones have held up well. That's been our experience at any rate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:25 pm 

Weekly touch ups seem to be a must with any training ball. I've found the game balls to hold air better, but for the cost you're not going to be banging that around training regularly.

As long as it doesn't deflate during the session / game, I don't really care. I kind of expect it these days.

... which is a bit sad, now that I think of it. I've never had a basketball lose air over a short period of time, and they take continual bouncing. Maybe the Gilbert people need to talk to the Spalding people!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm 

Well this thread is certainly a bit deflating.....

I always though you needed Leather Balls to play rugby....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 pm 

Nothing beats the sound of boot on a new leather Gilbert ball with a bit of echo around the stands.
When did they stop using the leather ball for internationals?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm 

Tez wrote:
Nothing beats the sound of boot on a new leather Gilbert ball with a bit of echo around the stands.

Adidas were 10 times better for leather balls (Mitre was and is still the pits)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 pm 

Tez wrote:

80s

... IIRC

Nieghorn wrote:
I've never had a basketball lose air over a short period of time, and they take continual bouncing.

Not to say the rugby ball couldn't be improved but the force involved in bouncing is small.

Compared to a boot being put through it, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm 

kiap wrote:
Tez wrote:

80s

... IIRC

Nieghorn wrote:
I've never had a basketball lose air over a short period of time, and they take continual bouncing.

Not to say the rugby ball couldn't be improved but the force involved in bouncing is small.

Compared to a boot being put through it, anyway.

The 87 RWC was the first time I remember them using synthetic balls, may have been a year earlier though. Those were Mitre, I think.

On the basketball comparison, while bouncing it may not be as strong a force as kicking a rugby ball, it probably gets bounced about a thousand times a game and missed shots that hit the rim would also put stress on the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 pm 

He we go (might also be earlier examples)

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
On the basketball comparison, while bouncing it may not be as strong a force as kicking a rugby ball, it probably gets bounced about a thousand times a game and missed shots that hit the rim would also put stress on the ball.

Bugger-all stress on each bounce or shot. It's comparatively genteel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 pm 

Yes, I acknowledged there was less stress in the sentence you quoted. But there's like 20 times as many bounces as there would be kicks in a game of rugby - that would add up to a fair bit of stress.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 am 

Are soccer balls and American footballs not kicked?

Nieghorn wrote:
Weekly touch ups seem to be a must with any training ball. I've found the game balls to hold air better, but for the cost you're not going to be banging that around training regularly.

As long as it doesn't deflate during the session / game, I don't really care. I kind of expect it these days.

... which is a bit sad, now that I think of it. I've never had a basketball lose air over a short period of time, and they take continual bouncing. Maybe the Gilbert people need to talk to the Spalding people!

For some reason (keeping a British sports company alive and lots of pounds), they almost have a monopoly on being official rugby ball of the game worldwide. Even in American rugby, a country where Gilbert otherwise has near-zero presence.

Maybe World Rugby can say "pay us 1% less money and put those funds toward developing a ball that's not shit".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:15 am 

We remove 10~15% of the air after every training session and don't seem to have any problem with ball losing air in use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 am 

no ball is as bad as this.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:18 am 

Flyin Ryan wrote:

Nieghorn wrote:

For some reason (keeping a British sports company alive and lots of pounds), they almost have a monopoly on being official rugby ball of the game worldwide. Even in American rugby, a country where Gilbert otherwise has near-zero presence.

Maybe World Rugby can say "pay us 1% less money and put those funds toward developing a ball that's not shit".

Their match balls are far and away the best though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am 

Having a throw about with a brand new Gilbert match ball is great. It's just glued to your hands and has a great balance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:20 am 

Tecumseh wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

Nieghorn wrote:

Their match balls are far and away the best though

The Adidas ones that are used in the NZ NPC are absolute crackers to kick and fly further through the air in my experience, Gilbert’s feel a bit nicer in the hands though IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am 

I just looked on the Gilbert site and the leather heritage ball size 5 is sold out - £84.99.

I find that news quite heartening :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:00 pm 

I love the Web Ellis ball. Beautiful flight and grip.

I dont find the Gilbert balls to be very durable. I bought 5 of them a few years ago for the men and even though I encourage a running brand of rugby, they seem to have worn out more quickly then other balls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm 

I've got a Gilbert lurking in the attic. I might post a pic later.

It was presented to me after a game in which I scored the match winning try. From our own in goal area.

I did a Phil Bennett all the way up the field then popped one over the full back's head, caught it in mid-air and hit the grass.

I got selected to play for Eastern Counties after that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 pm 

globus wrote:
I've got a Gilbert lurking in the attic. I might post a pic later.

It was presented to me after a game in which I scored the match winning try. From our own in goal area.

I did a Phil Bennett all the way up the field then popped one over the full back's head, caught it in mid-air and hit the grass.

I got selected to play for Eastern Counties after that.

That sounds absolutely wonderful. Congratulations on scoring such a splendid try.

The best try I ever scored was a proper Rugby Union Football try. None of this jinking and sprinting carry on. Taking the ball off the scrum half I passed and wrapped around my best friend, a former Omagh Acadamy first. He in turn drew and passed to me. I was left with a 2 on 1. I threw the most wonderful dummy (very similar to Rettalick on Saturday, maybe less frantic) and cantered in to dot the ball down. Even the opposition congratulated me. One of the team that night had a bit part in Ferris Bueller's day off!