Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:55 pm 

Quote:
Reports suggest the shooting happened during a video game tournament in the Jacksonville Landing area

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45315970

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:00 pm 

:frown:

Thread needs a serial record number.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm 

Shit. We have boredies living in Jackonville.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 pm 

This video of it is quite harrowing

https://twitter.com/breaking911/status/ ... 22054?s=21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 pm 

Apparently someone mad they lost at a video game. Wtf

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/ ... 8284850176

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 pm 

Quote:
Reports suggest the shooting happened during a video game tournament being held at the Jacksonville Landing.

It's crazy to me that people think violent video games and TV don't contribute to this. An admittedly anecdotal story:

My mum told me about the first time she watched television as a child. It was a big group all went to the house of the one rich guy who had a TV. It was a black and white cowboy movie, and you probably know how ridiculously unrealistic they look. Anyway, at one point someone got shot and collapsed holding their heart, no blood or anything, but it had a huge effect on the audience, audible gasps and one of the older ladies watching actually collapsed in shock.

Fast forward to now and we have literally children interactively participating and chainsawing people in half in high definition, super gorey video games and laughing about it. I often wonder what an actual ww2 veteran would think about children playing at the horrors they experienced in ultra realistic detail... for fun.

I'm not saying that violent video games directly cause murderous intent, but they definitely don't help in facilitating it in already slightly unstable individuals. Desensitization to violence through media is definitely real.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

I have no anecdotal evidence as rebuttal to Ika’s man in the pub theory.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 131317.htm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Quote:
Reports suggest the shooting happened during a video game tournament being held at the Jacksonville Landing.

It's crazy to me that people think violent video games and TV don't contribute to this. An admittedly anecdotal story:

My mum told me about the first time she watched television as a child. It was a big group all went to the house of the one rich guy who had a TV. It was a black and white cowboy movie, and you probably know how ridiculously unrealistic they look. Anyway, at one point someone got shot and collapsed holding their heart, no blood or anything, but it had a huge effect on the audience, audible gasps and one of the older ladies watching actually collapsed in shock.

Fast forward to now and we have literally children interactively participating and chainsawing people in half in high definition, super gorey video games and laughing about it. I often wonder what an actual ww2 veteran would think about children playing at the horrors they experienced in ultra realistic detail... for fun.

I'm not saying that violent video games directly cause murderous intent, but they definitely don't help in facilitating it in already slightly unstable individuals. Desensitization to violence through media is definitely real.

This was an NFL tournament...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:28 pm 

HurricaneWasp wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Quote:

It's crazy to me that people think violent video games and TV don't contribute to this. .

This was an NFL tournament...

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 pm 

Sefton wrote:

Quote:
participants played a game where they had to either be a car avoiding collisions with trucks or a mouse avoiding being caught by a cat. Following the game, the players were shown various images, such as a bus or a dog, and asked to label them as either a vehicle or an animal.

"Extremely sceptical" would be the understatement of the century

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 pm 

Sefton wrote:

You've been getting on my tits a bit lately, but questioning the sanctity of the wisdom of the man in the pub is the final straw.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:31 pm 

Quote:
Drini Gjoka, a 19-year-old player taking part, described the shooting in a series of posts on Twitter, calling it "the worst day of [his] life".

"I am literally so lucky. The bullet hit my thumb," he tweeted.

Clearly not a Defender player.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 pm 

Wasn’t the Sandy Hook kid a video gamer? Colorado movie theater shooter? Parkland high school? Yeah no links clearly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:35 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Wasn’t the Sandy Hook kid a video gamer? Colorado movie theater shooter? Parkland high school? Yeah no links clearly.

I'm a bit worried about some of the gamers on here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Didnt they dress like characters from The Matrix?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Literally every wester child born in the last 20-30 years has played video games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Literally every wester child born in the last 20-30 years has played video games.

But Ika’s mum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

I think there is a difference between playing video games occasionally and being a "gamer." My brother is 18 and doesn't play them much any more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Bowens wrote:

You think that's evidence against the contemporary issue of children going on mass shootings?

And like I said, I'm not saying it causes murderous intent. Just that I strongly suspect it desensitizes it in everybody, and in people who are of a more sociopathic bent, maybe even helps legitimizes it.

I'm not saying you put a perfectly stable kid in front of a Nintendo and they will end up a psychopathic killer. But much like the issue of gun laws, it's not the stable ones we're worried about.

In short, I think you have to be somewhere between naive and delusional to think ultra violent media and the glorification of gun violence, primarily US based, has zero effect on a society's and an individual's psychology.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm 

Wait until kids find out how heavy it really is carry around all that wood in a backpack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 pm 

first they came for the kids, now the nerds.. what next?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Apparently someone mad they lost at a video game. Wtf

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/ ... 8284850176

We've all been there when some wanker scores against you in the last minute of a game of Fifa and you have to stop yourself throwing the tv out the window, but shooting up the place is a bit much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:21 pm 

Bowens wrote:

They also all watched TV, ate food, wore shoes, took shits and masterbated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:22 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Shit. We have boredies living in Jackonville.

Thankfully I don't think I know anybody involved.

There's been a gradual uptick in gun violence over the last year or two over here. Gang related shootings are starting to become more common and move into areas that were previously considered 'safe'. There was a shooting at a high school football game the other day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
Bowens wrote:

They also all watched TV, ate food, wore shoes, took shits and masterbated.

You seem to be implying that all young people play them constantly as was the case with the examples listed. No.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 pm 

only link for most of these are "Young white boys"...only non-white in recent memory was that arab military man at Fort something a few years back

Last edited by comets on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insane_Homer wrote:
Bowens wrote:

They also all watched TV, ate food, wore shoes, took shits and masterbated

See, if they got laid this might be avoided.

Oh and Ika's mum

Video games?

Maybe Marilyn Manson is still to blame as well... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 pm 

Banning all competitive sport would be a step in the right direction

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Bowens wrote:

You think that's evidence against the contemporary issue of children going on mass shootings?

And like I said, I'm not saying it causes murderous intent. Just that I strongly suspect it desensitizes it in everybody, and in people who are of a more sociopathic bent, maybe even helps legitimizes it.

I'm not saying you put a perfectly stable kid in front of a Nintendo and they will end up a psychopathic killer. But much like the issue of gun laws, it's not the stable ones we're worried about.

In short, I think you have to be somewhere between naive and delusional to think ultra violent media and the glorification of gun violence, primarily US based, has zero effect on a society's and an individual's psychology.

Sure, and women who read racy books suffer from hysterical paroxysms.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 pm 

I don't play video games and am pretty confident that if I had access to a gun I would have shot somebody by now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 pm 

BBC 2 wrote:

I take it you're Australian?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm 

EverReady wrote:
I don't play video games and am pretty confident that if I had access to a gun I would have shot somebody by now

Somebody. Not a bunch of people with an assault rifle like they do in the games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 pm 

Bowens wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Somebody. Not a bunch of people with an assault rifle like they do in the games.

Fair point. I have a list though and if they were all in the same room they would get it. The list is of people unrelated so that isn't likely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
BBC 2 wrote:

I take it you're Australian?

How I wish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 pm 

Bowens wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Is that a special offensive play that you can unlock in Madden?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm 

Madden is the game I have played the most although it’s been years. But come on, what odds he was a COD freak etc. Almost every time when it’s not religion. Obviously the ease of getting weapons here is a big problem, not denying that. But to say there’s no link between violent games and mass shooters - I’m just not convinced.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Madden is the game I have played the most although it’s been years. But come on, what odds he was a COD freak etc. Almost every time when it’s not religion. Obviously the ease of getting weapons here is a big problem, not denying that. But to say there’s no link between violent games and mass shooters - I’m just not convinced.

Maybe the sort of person who engages in mass shootings is typically a social recluse who is more prone to playing video games like this as opposed to the games being a trigger?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm 

Bowens wrote:

http://theconversation.com/its-time-to- ... ence-91607

Quote:
But, speaking as a researcher who has studied violent video games for almost 15 years, I can state that there is no evidence to support these claims that violent media and real-world violence are connected.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Quote:

You’d think they would be more shocked by the old rich guy grooming your mother, but i suppose times were different back then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next