Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm 

Quote:
It is illegal to knowingly communicate an implied threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life or cause fear that a condition existed involving danger to life.

That alone should at least see all publicly owned combat weapons banned, surely?
Arguably does away with threatening people with guns as a method of self defence too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm 

bessantj wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I just CAN'T with these idiots:

Apparently he didn't say that.

With the new posts I thought there had been another shooting.

Fair enough if it was wrong. I can't say anyone still defending guns in the USA deserves a change of opinion however.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:22 pm 

AlanBengio wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
So tell us again why you think that being able to own a semi-automatic, rapid-fire weapon designed for combat use along with ammunition for it, is a good thing for society as a whole?

I have to say, growing up with hunting rifles and being a hunter since the age of 7, this is also the crucial question for me.
What the fudge is the purpose of having items resembling military hardware in your home?

When did became “acceptable” in US - ie owning combat use rifles.
I mean - was that common (for example) owning for the common US citizen in the 30ies the same machine gun used by gangsters (ie the one we see on Al Capone movies style - do not remember the name now?)
Or it is only a “recent update”?[/quote]
The right to own weapons of mass killing of unarmed civilians was a central tenet of the founding fathers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm 

If you could go back in time and show the founding fathers the result of their words. I wonder if they would of included them in the constitution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 pm 

msp. wrote:
If you could go back in time and show the founding fathers the result of their words. I wonder if they would of included them in the constitution

They didn't, it's called an amendment because it wasn't there originally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
earl the beaver wrote:
msp. wrote:

yeah but it was so soon after the constitution was written you could quite rightly say it was the same minds creating both. The strange part is that the reason for it was to "support" the state, not to act against them if they went rogue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
msp. wrote:

It was added when America was a young country and the founding fathers where still around.. it was ratified by Thomas Jefferson. My understanding the thought behind adding it was that if ever in future there was a government that was opposed to by the "people", The people could overthrow the government like they did to the British (this would also keep the government in check). However it not worked out like that..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
msp. wrote:

yeah but it was so soon after the constitution was written you could quite rightly say it was the same minds creating both. The strange part is that the reason for it was to "support" the state, not to act against them if they went rogue.

and it was written because their was no appetite in the newly formed Republic, to form a large, standing army, especially after the effect they'd seen of such an army being turned against it's own citizens.

The only logical solution was to have a citizenry that was kept ready at all times to form a defensive army, in times of external aggression; i.e. if you don't have an army, you need to be able to raise one quickly in times of attack, & have their own weapons already.

Now square that; with a 21st century nation that spends more on it's armed forces, than the rest of the world combined; still retains the ability to turn on the draft; & has the ability to destroy; not just any enemy's nation, but the entire planet, several times over !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm 

Seems to be a shooting situation in Philadelphia at the moment.

Thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:03 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 am 

Slim 293 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
Another one of those good guys with a gun that never happens:

https://twitter.com/HeatherLewisTV/status/1159598279375695872

Nope...

Quote:
Armed man who caused panic at Missouri Walmart said he was testing his rights

New York: A heavily armed man who frightened shoppers and employees at a Walmart in Missouri told the police he was testing his Second Amendment rights when he recorded himself entering the store, according to a prosecutor, who charged him on Friday with making a terrorist threat.

The man, Dmitriy Andreychenko, 20, of Springfield, Missouri, was carrying a tactical rifle slung across his chest, a handgun and 100 rounds of ammunition Thursday when he caused a panic at the store, the police said.

Pictures taken by a witness showed that Andreychenko was wearing a bulletproof vest.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," Andreychenko told a police officer, according to an arrest report.

He was taken into custody without incident after another shopper held him at gunpoint, the police said. It was not immediately clear if Andreychenko, who was being held at the Greene County Jail with bail set at $US10,000, had a lawyer.

The episode happened less than a week after 31 people were killed in two mass shootings, the first last Saturday at a crowded Walmart in El Paso, Texas, and the second early Sunday near a bar entrance in Dayton, Ohio.

"Missouri protects the right of people to open carry a firearm, but that right does not allow an individual to act in a reckless and criminal manner endangering other citizens," Dan Patterson, the Greene County prosecuting attorney, said in a statement on Friday.

Andreychenko told the police that he had bought a rifle and body armor because of the recent shootings and the fatal stabbings of four people in Orange County, California, on Wednesday, according to the arrest report.

He shared his plans beforehand with his wife and sister, both of whom were questioned by the authorities and said they had warned Andreychenko that he would cause alarm, the police said.

"He said he wanted to see if the Walmart manager would respect his Second Amendment rights," the arrest report said.

Angelice Andreychenko, his wife, told him "it was not a smart idea," according to the arrest report. "She told him that people were going to take this seriously due to the recent events."

Andreychenko tried to enlist his sister Anastasia Andreychenko to film him entering the Walmart, the police said, adding, "He called it a social experiment on how his Second Amendment right would be respected in a public area."

She declined, and he used his phone to record video, according to the report.

In explaining the charge of making a terrorist threat in the second degree that was brought against Andreychenko, Patterson, the prosecutor, drew a parallel to First Amendment rights, saying that a person is not allowed to yell "fire" in a cinema.

It is illegal to knowingly communicate an implied threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life or cause fear that a condition existed involving danger to life.

If convicted, Andreychenko could face up to four years in prison.

New York Times

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-a ... 52ftk.html

And he is married, and will probably start breeding soon.
God bless America.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 am 

bessantj wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I just CAN'T with these idiots:

Apparently he didn't say that.

With the new posts I thought there had been another shooting.

Statistically it's very unlikely there hasn't been another mass shooting :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 am 

Quick google. This current situation is officially the 10th since Dayton

Quote:
Philadelphia shooting: Six police officers shot and injured in ongoing stand off with gunman

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 59061.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:55 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
msp. wrote:

and it was written because their was no appetite in the newly formed Republic, to form a large, standing army, especially after the effect they'd seen of such an army being turned against it's own citizens.

The only logical solution was to have a citizenry that was kept ready at all times to form a defensive army, in times of external aggression; i.e. if you don't have an army, you need to be able to raise one quickly in times of attack, & have their own weapons already.

Now square that; with a 21st century nation that spends more on it's armed forces, than the rest of the world combined; still retains the ability to turn on the draft; & has the ability to destroy; not just any enemy's nation, but the entire planet, several times over !

It was added back when it took about twenty seconds to load a single shot into a gun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:30 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Aaaaand, they're at it again. Quick, manufacture some more guns and organise a discount sale

Quote:
Police say there are "multiple gunshot victims" in central Texas, US, after one or more suspects opened fire.

The Midland, Texas, Police Department said on Saturday (Sunday NZ time) that one of the suspects is believed to be driving a gold-colored vehicle and has a rifle. Authorities in Odessa, Texas, say the other shooter is believed to be driving a US Postal Service vehicle.

"A subject (possibly 2) is currently driving around Odessa shooting at random people. At this time there are multiple gunshot victims," the Odessa police department said on Facebook.

Police in Odessa say one or possibly two suspects hijacked the postal vehicle and was firing at random, hitting multiple people.

The University of Texas Permian Basin campus has gone into lock-down. There have been no reports of fatalities.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has urged residents to avoid major highways in the area, including Interstate 20.

More to come...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Aaaaand, they're at it again. Quick, manufacture some more guns and organise a discount sale

Quote:
Police say there are "multiple gunshot victims" in central Texas, US, after one or more suspects opened fire.

The Midland, Texas, Police Department said on Saturday (Sunday NZ time) that one of the suspects is believed to be driving a gold-colored vehicle and has a rifle. Authorities in Odessa, Texas, say the other shooter is believed to be driving a US Postal Service vehicle.

"A subject (possibly 2) is currently driving around Odessa shooting at random people. At this time there are multiple gunshot victims," the Odessa police department said on Facebook.

Police in Odessa say one or possibly two suspects hijacked the postal vehicle and was firing at random, hitting multiple people.

The University of Texas Permian Basin campus has gone into lock-down. There have been no reports of fatalities.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has urged residents to avoid major highways in the area, including Interstate 20.

More to come...

In more news a rugby match is being played in New Zealand..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 pm 

"Central" Texas? Excuse me, but that's West Texas. The riff raff live out there.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:40 am 

True Blue wrote:
"Central" Texas? Excuse me, but that's West Texas. The riff raff live out there.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers.

Also, now is not the time etc etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:46 am 

Has there been a video game where you just commit mass murder ? (As opposed to say Battlefield 5 that is a war simulation)
All I can think of is that one level of modern warfare 2 “speak in Russian “ where you had to wipe out a airport terminal of civilians.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:42 am 

Only 5 dead. He wasnt very good at it was he. Shooter white male mid 30s. Shot dead by the cops.

Trump tweets that they already have very strong background checks. FFS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:46 am 

obelixtim wrote:
Only 5 dead. He wasnt very good at it was he. Shooter white male mid 30s. Shot dead by the cops.

Well, he was better than than the black dude who opened fire at a high school football game in alabama and didn't manage to kill anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:03 pm 

backrow wrote:
Has there been a video game where you just commit mass murder ? (As opposed to say Battlefield 5 that is a war simulation)
All I can think of is that one level of modern warfare 2 “speak in Russian “ where you had to wipe out a airport terminal of civilians.

The Postal series is kind of like that and Manhunt. Half the fun of the GTA games is just driving round and random shootings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Well, he was better than than the black dude who opened fire at a high school football game in alabama and didn't manage to kill anyone.

No comment about the "strong background checks" Trump tweeted about then....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Er, no. Should I have a comment about that? Is it compulsory?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Not at all. I didnt expect you to, avoidance being one of your main strategies.

I know its very difficult for you to criticize the idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 pm 

obelixtim wrote:

One of the reasons schools get targeted. Mass shooters typically have a "fear of failure" in the task they assign themselves so they pick the softest targets possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

One of the reasons schools get targeted. Mass shooters typically have a "fear of failure" in the task they assign themselves so they pick the softest targets possible.

Good to know English schools are safe in that regard. As for many there is no such things as fail.

Americans should follow suit,pass everybody and you might get less shooters.

Edit: I say this a little facetiously (which I probably shouldnt) as my local FE college is TRUMPeting that they have a 100% pass rate for A level.

Last edited by Glaston on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:30 pm 

Glaston wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Good to know English schools are safe in that regard. As for many there is no such things as fail.

Fewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Not at all. I didnt expect you to, avoidance being one of your main strategies.

I know its very difficult for you to criticize the idiot.

Poor you. You know if you bleat just a tiny bit more they'll change US gun laws. You're just about there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Poor you. You know if you bleat just a tiny bit more they'll change US gun laws. You're just about there.

As if I give a shit about the US gun laws. I have no illusions along those lines. The Septics are far too stupid. They are way beyond basket case status. Especially with the basket case idiot in chief.

Shitting in their own nest is something they do better than anyone else. Happy to leave them to it.

Its entertainment for the rest of us though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
Quote:

As if I give a shit about the US gun laws. I have no illusions along those lines. The Septics are far too stupid. They are way beyond basket case status. Especially with the basket case idiot in chief.

Shitting in their own nest is something they do better than anyone else. Happy to leave them to it.

Its entertainment for the rest of us though.

Interesting that you find this entertaining :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 pm 

FFS, leave it out. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:40 pm 

If the whole gig wasn't so dire, it would be entertainment. It's like a reality show we all know is completely void of reality. If someone can't see they have a problem in the face of irrefutable evidence then they aren't likely to change, ever.

That seems to be America's problem with everything - The far outer fringes of lunacy, on every topical component of society, are mainstream or accepted as valid proposal.
It's fair to say they don't actually know what's good for them bar a middle section of good natured normal people trying to hang on and navigate through it all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:50 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:
If the whole gig wasn't so dire, it would be entertainment. It's like a reality show we all know is completely void of reality. If someone can't see they have a problem in the face of irrefutable evidence then they aren't likely to change, ever.

That seems to be America's problem with everything - The far outer fringes of lunacy, on every topical component of society, are mainstream or accepted as valid proposal.
It's fair to say they don't actually know what's good for them bar a middle section of good natured normal people trying to hang on and navigate through it all.

Indeed.

I've almost given up actually caring about this situation. It's just so dire. There's no way they can change now. The country is a dumpster fire.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 am 

Thomas wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Indeed.

I've almost given up actually caring about this situation. It's just so dire. There's no way they can change now. The country is a dumpster fire.

Cf brexit, trump etc

I think we're getting so insensitive to all of this shit, we're taking it as the norm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:07 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Thomas wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Indeed.

Cf brexit, trump etc

I think we're getting so insensitive to all of this shit, we're taking it as the norm

Which is not good for any of us (stating the obvious, I know, but it has to be said).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 am 

Mr Mike wrote:
Glaston wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Fewer

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Thomas wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Indeed.

Cf brexit, trump etc

Yep - not even a separate thread dedicated to a mass shooting where 7 people died :?

oh...and thoughts and prayers of course

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 am 

Glaston wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Edit: I say this a little facetiously (which I probably shouldnt) as my local FE college is TRUMPeting that they have a 100% pass rate for A level.

Tbf they could well do, a pass is technically anything other than an F or ungraded. Doesn't matter than anything below a C is completely irrelevant in life, it's still considered a pass.

If they're claiming they got 100% A - C that's also not out of the bounds of possibility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next