Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The 20th spot in RWC2019
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19106
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
So what's the deal here then

Canada, Kenya, Hong Kong and Germany left to fight it out for the last spot

How are each of the teams going currently - presumably Canada are the clear favourites for this?

And what's the format to determine the winner? Two legged knockout?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11924
Canada definitely the favorite but man have they been shit lately and having Kingsley Jones as head coach doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.

Format is round robin, played on 3 consecutive weekends during the November test window all in Marseille.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8855
It would be great to see a new flag at the World Cup but surely Canada will walk this ? Don’t they have plenty of pros in European leagues while the other countries don’t really have any , or is this no longer the case ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3159
Kenya is my favourite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 1834
Location: Boston
julian wrote:
Kenya is my favourite.


I think Germany if not the Canucks. I want to say Canada will walk it but as goeagles says they have repeatedly underwhelmed.

HK the only one I don’t see with a chance. Could be a very entertaining three weeks, hope WR or someone will throw up some streams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7513
Conspicuous wrote:
It would be great to see a new flag at the World Cup but surely Canada will walk this ? Don’t they have plenty of pros in European leagues while the other countries don’t really have any , or is this no longer the case ?


playing in marseille, pretty much home then...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3159
fonzeee wrote:
julian wrote:
Kenya is my favourite.


I think Germany if not the Canucks. I want to say Canada will walk it but as goeagles says they have repeatedly underwhelmed.

HK the only one I don’t see with a chance. Could be a very entertaining three weeks, hope WR or someone will throw up some streams.


Canada has all the numbers but I would like to see a side like Kenya go to the RWC. My decision is purely pasional not rationale.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1687
Location: On my large and growing arse
If you check on the Canada rugby thread in this here parish, you will see that :
1) We are far from optimistic. whatever the opposition in front of us, we will manage to play down to them, or even beneath them.
2) We are universal in our condemnation of Rugby Canada and in particular its handling of the NSMT.
3) Being out of the RWC may just be the shake up the sport in this country needs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19106
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
hard to believe everybody, including their own fans, are rooting for Canada to lose :lol:

@goey cheers for the info - round-robin seems like a weird format to me given there's four teams, any reason why they did away with the knockouts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21909
Location: Centre of the Universe
openclashXX wrote:
hard to believe everybody, including their own fans, are rooting for Canada to lose :lol


For years I’ve been waiting for them to take a long term, foundational approach to making rugby great again here, but it’s always paper over the cracks, shuffle the deck chairs and point to any good moment as proof that things are fine. It’s amazing how bad things have got the last couple of years and yet they had the gall to raise registration fees this year to fund the men’s team’s last ditch chance to lose every game in Japan and secure their precious World Rugby handout (little of which goes back to us, according to the year-end financials).

If not making it means heads roll and the survivors take a hard look at the whole picture to fix every level, then so be it. Go, Kenya!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8186
Surely DTH Van Der Merwe would beat these other teams on his own?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9771
In order for me it would be
Kenya
Germany
Canada
Hong Kong - aren't they just stacked with non HKers?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1572
Interestingly Hong Kong are the highest ranked of the four at 21st on WR rankings FWIW. I haven’t watched the other sides so it’s difficult to make any predictions, but Hong Kong have a core group of players that have been together for a while now, are well coached and the Union has a lot of money so the team has access to good resources they’ll be no pushover.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 am
Posts: 232
Location: Sydney (for now)
LandOTurk wrote:
In order for me it would be
Kenya
Germany
Canada
Hong Kong - aren't they just stacked with non HKers?


Yes, in short.

A chap I used to live with, his mate plays for Hong Kong. His stellar career featured UCT and a few Currie Cup appearances form what I recall before getting a job in HK after a deal with the union.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1863
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Considering the winner of this tournament goes in to the same pool as New Zealand and South Africa, this is basically the RWC for whatever team wins this. I'd like to see Kenya there, given they've turned some heads in Sevens, they could sneak in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6967
Did South Africa qualify?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11597
I have a close relative involved somewhere in the HK system.

but meh, I would rather Kenya go through. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21909
Location: Centre of the Universe
capt hurricane wrote:
Considering the winner of this tournament goes in to the same pool as New Zealand and South Africa, this is basically the RWC for whatever team wins this. I'd like to see Kenya there, given they've turned some heads in Sevens, they could sneak in.


True, but the funny thing for us is that one could argue that Uruguay, by winning our playoff, got the more difficult of the 'other teams' in the pool. They get Georgia and Fiji. Winner of Repechage gets Italy and Namibia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11924
Nieghorn wrote:
capt hurricane wrote:
Considering the winner of this tournament goes in to the same pool as New Zealand and South Africa, this is basically the RWC for whatever team wins this. I'd like to see Kenya there, given they've turned some heads in Sevens, they could sneak in.


True, but the funny thing for us is that one could argue that Uruguay, by winning our playoff, got the more difficult of the 'other teams' in the pool. They get Georgia and Fiji. Winner of Repechage gets Italy and Namibia.


And there is a slight chance that Namibia will pull out of the RWC due to a dispute between the players and the NRU.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10840
As has been noted, HK is ranked higher than each and we have beaten Kenya and Germany recently. Canada are beatable but whether we can remains to be seen.

As for our national squad being unrepresentative, all are either born and raised in HK or are qualified through WR residency rules. Some have even given up their foreign passport to represent HK


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11924
Hong Kong wrote:
As has been noted, HK is ranked higher than each and we have beaten Kenya and Germany recently. Canada are beatable but whether we can remains to be seen.

As for our national squad being unrepresentative, all are either born and raised in HK or are qualified through WR residency rules. Some have even given up their foreign passport to represent HK


I think the criticism from some is because they are seen as an expat team so the fact that they qualified through residency only reinforces that. Although my understanding is some of the white guys are HK born and raised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 12867
I think people are probably underestimating HK a bit. The players all seem familiar/well-drilled, they play a decent spoiling style. Canada should qualify over Germany, but I wouldn’t be surprised if HK beat Kenya. Kenya are the people’s favorite and exciting but really not at the technical level to challenge yet, and don’t tend to travel well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 279
Canada have been awful, but they should be fine.

Tyler Ardron has played some fantastic rugby in New Zealand this year, he'll be a big boost for Canada.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10815
Location: Kenya
It depends which Kenya turns up.

From their recent home form, they should be able to beat Hong Kong and Germany, the test will be Canada.

Should be some interesting games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1415
Are all games in the official international window? Then a full-strength Canada with the likes of DTH van derr Merwe on board should be too good for the rest even if they've been piss poor for a number of years now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10815
Location: Kenya
It's a shame they don't use these games as curtain-raisers for the main November tests. Would be a good way of getting punters in early, and good for these teams to play in mainstream stadiums in front of a decent crowd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am
Posts: 43
goeagles wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
As has been noted, HK is ranked higher than each and we have beaten Kenya and Germany recently. Canada are beatable but whether we can remains to be seen.

As for our national squad being unrepresentative, all are either born and raised in HK or are qualified through WR residency rules. Some have even given up their foreign passport to represent HK


I think the criticism from some is because they are seen as an expat team so the fact that they qualified through residency only reinforces that. Although my understanding is some of the white guys are HK born and raised.

Place of Birth: UK 12, HK 8, Aust 5, SA 3, NZ 2, Ire/Fra/Ger/China/Thai 1
Somewhat counter intuitively - neither of the guys with Cantonese family names were born in HK (China/UK - edit I know the good folks of Guangdong are primarily Cantonese)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31755
Location: Chickenrunning...
Caley_Red wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
In order for me it would be
Kenya
Germany
Canada
Hong Kong - aren't they just stacked with non HKers?


Yes, in short.

A chap I used to live with, his mate plays for Hong Kong. His stellar career featured UCT and a few Currie Cup appearances form what I recall before getting a job in HK after a deal with the union.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:


Looks like a HK side from 1975. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21909
Location: Centre of the Universe
Taurua wrote:
Canada have been awful, but they should be fine.

Tyler Ardron has played some fantastic rugby in New Zealand this year, he'll be a big boost for Canada.


He's played in some of the stinkers, though. Not sure DTH has, but they seem to like to play him on the wing, meaning the ball will have to go through a few pairs of sub-standard hands before he can do anything with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14673
Location: Tahstown
Sandstorm wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
In order for me it would be
Kenya
Germany
Canada
Hong Kong - aren't they just stacked with non HKers?


Yes, in short.

A chap I used to live with, his mate plays for Hong Kong. His stellar career featured UCT and a few Currie Cup appearances form what I recall before getting a job in HK after a deal with the union.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:


Looks like a HK side from 1975. :lol:

Pretty much, still a journeyman's paradise. A mate I played juniors with in Australia moved there after uni and got into the 7s and XVs team and played a good few years, good on him but thought that more non expats would have risen to national level by now, first Chinese player made the national team in the 90s.
Hard to see any side getting near Canada


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19718
it should have been Romania tbf

:frown:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10719
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
It should be Kenya as I have one of their shirts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3159
Apologies for my ignorance but is there a China XV and then a Hong Kong XV?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19640
Location: Yemen
backrow wrote:
it should have been Romania tbf

:frown:

more like spain actually
romania were ahead and would have taken Russia's direct spot
all moo points now obviously


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14673
Location: Tahstown
julian wrote:
Apologies for my ignorance but is there a China XV and then a Hong Kong XV?

Yes same for all sports. China allows it....for now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 7606
Location: Stockholm
Go Kenya!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1415
Akkerman wrote:
backrow wrote:
it should have been Romania tbf

:frown:

more like spain actually
romania were ahead and would have taken Russia's direct spot
all moo points now obviously


Imagine Germany qualifying - would essentially mean the 8th best nation from continental Europe is good enough to qualify for the RWC.

With the caveat that a full-strength Germany with all their Heidelberg pro players involved (as in the Samoa play-offs) is a completely different proposition from the B-team that played in the Rugby Europe Championship and narrowly avoided relegation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1572
julian wrote:
Apologies for my ignorance but is there a China XV and then a Hong Kong XV?


Yes, separate Rugby Unions most of China’s focus is on 7s rather than 15s due to the fact it’s an Olympic sport.

Re. the ethnicity/birth places of the HK team some of the players born offshore have parents born in HK, which isn’t any different to the national captain of the world’s biggest rugby union Dylan Hartley or a number of players who tap into their ancestral roots to play international rugby for nations they weren’t born and raised in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm
Posts: 1839
Nieghorn wrote:
Taurua wrote:
Canada have been awful, but they should be fine.

Tyler Ardron has played some fantastic rugby in New Zealand this year, he'll be a big boost for Canada.


He's played in some of the stinkers, though. Not sure DTH has, but they seem to like to play him on the wing, meaning the ball will have to go through a few pairs of sub-standard hands before he can do anything with it.


Which is the main reason why I would play him at 13. Get him more ball.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 1834
Location: Boston
Hong Kong wrote:
As has been noted, HK is ranked higher than each and we have beaten Kenya and Germany recently. Canada are beatable but whether we can remains to be seen.

As for our national squad being unrepresentative, all are either born and raised in HK or are qualified through WR residency rules. Some have even given up their foreign passport to represent HK


Hong Kong usually hosts those games though, this’ll be in France.

Also I see they haven’t played Germany since 2010; the Krauts have improved massively since then.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Achahoish, Bing [Bot], Boobs not Moobs, camroc1, Cartman, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], Harveys, inactionman, Jeff the Bear, Margin_Walker, MunsterMan!!!!!, PornDog, Short Man Syndrome, SickeninglyArrogantPerson, sockwithaticket, tabascoboy and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group