Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Taurua wrote:
Canada have been awful, but they should be fine.

Tyler Ardron has played some fantastic rugby in New Zealand this year, he'll be a big boost for Canada.

He's played in some of the stinkers, though. Not sure DTH has, but they seem to like to play him on the wing, meaning the ball will have to go through a few pairs of sub-standard hands before he can do anything with it.

Which is the main reason why I would play him at 13. Get him more ball.

Indeed. At this level he can really run riot if given the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm 

It should be all Canada. Only team that can challenge them is Germany if they can pull off one of those shock games like they did against Romania. I simply don't see a way for HK or Kenya.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 am 

FullbackAce wrote:
It should be all Canada. Only team that can challenge them is Germany if they can pull off one of those shock games like they did against Romania. I simply don't see a way for HK or Kenya.

Now I am totally confused.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:35 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 am 

FullbackAce wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:

Why?

he's welsh ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 am 

grievous wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
In order for me it would be
Kenya
Germany
Canada
Hong Kong - aren't they just stacked with non HKers?

Yes, in short.

A chap I used to live with, his mate plays for Hong Kong. His stellar career featured UCT and a few Currie Cup appearances form what I recall before getting a job in HK after a deal with the union.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:

Looks like a HK side from 1975. :lol:

Pretty much, still a journeyman's paradise. A mate I played juniors with in Australia moved there after uni and got into the 7s and XVs team and played a good few years, good on him but thought that more non expats would have risen to national level by now, first Chinese player made the national team in the 90s.
Hard to see any side getting near Canada

HK is probably best to answer here, but here is a nice curly question for the bored.

Is there a "Hong Kong" identity that the born/bred players in the team subscribe to? Or do those players still see themselves as British/Aust/Saffa? (wherever their heritage lies)

Or do they see themselves as Chinese nationals? :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 am 

Auckman wrote:
grievous wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Kenya
Germany
Canada

Yes, in short.

A chap I used to live with, his mate plays for Hong Kong. His stellar career featured UCT and a few Currie Cup appearances form what I recall before getting a job in HK after a deal with the union.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:

Pretty much, still a journeyman's paradise. A mate I played juniors with in Australia moved there after uni and got into the 7s and XVs team and played a good few years, good on him but thought that more non expats would have risen to national level by now, first Chinese player made the national team in the 90s.

HK is probably best to answer here, but here is a nice curly question for the bored.

Is there a "Hong Kong" identity that the born/bred players in the team subscribe to? Or do those players still see themselves as British/Aust/Saffa? (wherever their heritage lies)

Seen as 90% of the local population which is chinese don't know or care probably still feel like expats

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 am 

Auckman wrote:
grievous wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Kenya
Germany
Canada

Yes, in short.

Hong Kong Chinese don't see themselves as Chinese nationals, so I doubt non-chinese Hong Kongers would either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am 

SS gives a sensible answer. Very few HKers regard themselves as Chinese first - they are HK Chinese. As I have said elsewhere, there is a quite a racist attitude towards Mainlanders by HK Chinese.

As for the "ex-pats" in the team, I have mentioned on this thread that some have given up their overseas passport to play for HK (Asian games and Olympics); some were born here or have lived here long enough to qualify under WR residency. Do they consider themselves as HKers? I would say, yes, they do - I do (I have lived here for over 29 years). Do I consider myself Chinese or even HK Chinese? Nope but we also have a 3rd "ethnic" group - NEC: Non-Ethnic Chinese, which I and many others would probably regard ourselves as.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 am 

Hong Kong wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:

Why?

he's welsh ;)

Haha. There seemed to be a consensus that Canada was best and then HK, Kenya then Germany. But you seem to think that Germany is next best. That's all. I have no idea of the order but would expect Canada to be #1 and then whoever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm 

Hong Kong wrote:
SS gives a sensible answer. Very few HKers regard themselves as Chinese first - they are HK Chinese. As I have said elsewhere, there is a quite a racist attitude towards Mainlanders by HK Chinese.

As for the "ex-pats" in the team, I have mentioned on this thread that some have given up their overseas passport to play for HK (Asian games and Olympics); some were born here or have lived here long enough to qualify under WR residency. Do they consider themselves as HKers? I would say, yes, they do - I do (I have lived here for over 29 years). Do I consider myself Chinese or even HK Chinese? Nope but we also have a 3rd "ethnic" group - NEC: Non-Ethnic Chinese, which I and many others would probably regard ourselves as.

Sensible Stephen wrote:

Hong Kong Chinese don't see themselves as Chinese nationals, so I doubt non-chinese Hong Kongers would either.

:thumbup:

Very enlightening. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Kenya
Germany
Canada

Yes, in short.

The squad looks incredibly unrepresentative of Hong Kong: https://www.hkrugby.com/national/national-team/mens-national-15s :lol:[/quote]

Looks like a HK side from 1975. :lol:[/quote]
Hard to see any side getting near Canada[/quote]

Or do they see themselves as Chinese nationals? :D[/quote]

Hong Kong Chinese don't see themselves as Chinese nationals, so I doubt non-chinese Hong Kongers would either.[/quote]
They had better when the Motherland brings in Thought crimes.

Semi joking aside and having been to both Macau and HK last year when Xi was in town its fascinating how he will manage to keep the level of control as he seems to be doing on the mainland yet keep those places economic prosperity at the same levels.

If he was only a rugby fan.....we need a dictator rugby/ fit like Ceaucescu again.