Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Cheslin doing it again up north.
https://rugbydump.com/news/cheslin-kolb ... -in-knots/

Quote:
Cheslin Kolbe gets the commentators drooling as lethal stepping ties Bath in knots
Cheslin Kolbe gets the commentators drooling as lethal stepping ties Bath in knots
Winger Cheslin Kolbe continued his spectacular form off the back of the Rugby Championship with a stand out performance in Toulouse’s Champions Cup win over Bath 22-20.

Toulouse escaped with a 22-20 win after Freddie Burns made a colossal blunder by spilling the ball after being chased down from behind by Maxime Medard in the in-goal area. Burns had just broken through the defence for what should’ve been a try and probable victory. Instead, a pre-mature celebration became a costly brain fade that more than likely cost Bath the match.

Although the match will be remembered for the Burns mistake, Kolbe did his part for the win with several outstanding displays of his stepping ability, most notably before the try assist to Sofiane Guitone.

Kolbe was a pleasant surprise to many with his form during the Rugby Championship. He had a crucial intercept try against New Zealand in Wellington, helping secure a historic Springbok victory. He then followed that up with another try in Pretoria.

Speaking about his smaller stature and mental approach a few weeks ago, he said: “I get that a lot, as I always say, I’m not the biggest guy on the field, but playing against opposition who are bigger than me is something that just excites me.

“I enjoy showing others that you don’t have to only have size, you have to just have the right belief, mindset, and attitude to perform just as well as the bigger guy.”


https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -Bnle0c87Q

The only size that matters on a rugby field is the size of your heart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10718
Location: Kenya
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9915
Cousin of Wayde van Niekerk, right.

Do you think 7s is starting to have the effect on rugby that T20 is on cricket?

Not that you can get away from the physicality of he sport, but we are starting to see better out and out athletes?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
LandOTurk wrote:
Cousin of Wayde van Niekerk, right.

Do you think 7s is starting to have the effect on rugby that T20 is on cricket?

Not that you can get away from the physicality of he sport, but we are starting to see better out and out athletes?

SA struggled for years with 7s. We now have the 7s structures in place from schoolboy (we just had our craven week in schoolboy 7s, Cheetahs winning it) to top level and the results is there. Many of the modern Bokke played 7s for a year or two. many of the SA contracted 7 players are playing CC.

BUT most SA supporters are stuck with the Jake White thing about size. Most of them have a c ockish syndome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11279
OomPB wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Cousin of Wayde van Niekerk, right.

Do you think 7s is starting to have the effect on rugby that T20 is on cricket?

Not that you can get away from the physicality of he sport, but we are starting to see better out and out athletes?

SA struggled for years with 7s. We now have the 7s structures in place from schoolboy (we just had our craven week in schoolboy 7s, Cheetahs winning it) to top level and the results is there. Many of the modern Bokke played 7s for a year or two. many of the SA contracted 7 players are playing CC.

BUT most SA supporters are stuck with the Jake White thing about size. Most of them have a c ockish syndome.

A good big one is just better than a good small one. Same principal applies in rugby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10718
Location: Kenya
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.


Not sure why that's relevant.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
handyman wrote:
OomPB wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Cousin of Wayde van Niekerk, right.

Do you think 7s is starting to have the effect on rugby that T20 is on cricket?

Not that you can get away from the physicality of he sport, but we are starting to see better out and out athletes?

SA struggled for years with 7s. We now have the 7s structures in place from schoolboy (we just had our craven week in schoolboy 7s, Cheetahs winning it) to top level and the results is there. Many of the modern Bokke played 7s for a year or two. many of the SA contracted 7 players are playing CC.

BUT most SA supporters are stuck with the Jake White thing about size. Most of them have a c ockish syndome.

A good big one is just better than a good small one. Same principal applies in rugby.

I have never saw a big one that can STEP. They can only run straight or around. Jy verstaan van rats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
assfly wrote:
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.


Not sure why that's relevant.

Dom post. Its all relevant. You "gaap" about short wingers that can sidestep. I am telling you we dont have many such wingers. Maybe you ment gaaping because we dont have them?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:10 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10718
Location: Kenya
OomPB wrote:
Dom post. Its all relevant. You "gaap" about short wingers that can sidestep. I am telling you we dont have many such wingers. Maybe you ment gaaping because we dont have them?


I was referring to your comment about the Sharks. Kolble plays overseas, he is a chickenrunner that you have on many occasions proclaimed your deep hatred for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
assfly wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Dom post. Its all relevant. You "gaap" about short wingers that can sidestep. I am telling you we dont have many such wingers. Maybe you ment gaaping because we dont have them?


I was referring to your comment about the Sharks. Kolble plays overseas, he is a chickenrunner that you have on many occasions proclaimed your deep hatred for.

Oh thats better. hate is a very strong word. I agree about the chicken running story but I have give up on it. They ANC did , so who de vok I am to differ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5504
What was particularly funny was the way he used his height as an advantage, and on several occasions simply ducked under the tackles to evade the defence.

He had a cracking game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9772
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35670
Location: Innie Kaap
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.



I am particularily impressed with how he sidesteps the grass with his chin when he gets handed off on defence.

I always feel with him that he needs to score more points than he lets in to be relevant


Last edited by Sards on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5775
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:


yeah shane williams says hi..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.



I am particularily impressed with how he sidesteps the grass with his chin when he gets handed off on defence

Dom post. Its easier to hand off bigger players on defense then the small ones. Kolisi is the expert bus is vol specialist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

You wont get any flyhalf in SA who can step like Damian Willemse. He is a specialist stepper.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11279
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.



I am particularily impressed with how he sidesteps the grass with his chin when he gets handed off on defence.

I always feel with him that he needs to score more points than he lets in to be relevant

One of your better points Sards. I don't believe that he score more points than he lets in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35670
Location: Innie Kaap
OomPB wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

You wont get any flyhalf in SA who can step like Damian Willemse. He is a specialist stepper.


SIGH.......another untested like Ruan Nel...... :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31878
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

You wont get any flyhalf in SA who can step like Damian Willemse. He is a specialist stepper.


SIGH.......another untested like Ruan Nel...... :uhoh:



Maakie WeePee ammal Bokke ....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
handyman wrote:
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:

We dont have many players who can STEP, specially those from the Sharks.



I am particularily impressed with how he sidesteps the grass with his chin when he gets handed off on defence.

I always feel with him that he needs to score more points than he lets in to be relevant

One of your better points Sards. I don't believe that he score more points than he lets in.

You two obvious like the usual rugby jock.

Vokket we are so in need of rugby players with flair, it aint even funny. Thats why you dont like Lleyds also. You'd go for the midfielders like Louw, de Ellende, Esterhuizen, exct.
Dom players like yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

You wont get any flyhalf in SA who can step like Damian Willemse. He is a specialist stepper.


SIGH.......another untested like Ruan Nel...... :uhoh:



Maakie WeePee ammal Bokke ....

:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31878
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

You wont get any flyhalf in SA who can step like Damian Willemse. He is a specialist stepper.


SIGH.......another untested like Ruan Nel...... :uhoh:



Maakie WeePee ammal Bokke ....

:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11279
Oom, stadig oor die klippe. Daar's baie rugby spelers met flair wat nie klein is nie. Ouens soos Dan du Plessis, Rohan Nel. Dis nie net klein spelers wat flair het nie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 128
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.


OomPB set them up and WT scores with his big one....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31878
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.



:lol:

Scrumhalves do not set up ?

OK, Paul Roos/PaarlGim style for you, then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31878
Gert wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.


OomPB set them up and WT scores with his big one....



I score without needing PB to set me up .... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25399
Location: Stellenbosch
Gert wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.


OomPB set them up and WT scores with his big one....

Hello Gertjie, long time no see.

Hoop dit gaan goed met jou. Hoekom is jy n nOOp nou?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5703
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden


Was he the boks winger that Barrett beat for pace


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9772
brat wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden


Was he the boks winger that Barrett beat for pace


Stay on topic please


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 128
OomPB wrote:
Gert wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:
:x VOKOF. If you played rugby and could sidestep, you will know that the feeling stepping through a gap and sending your wing away for a try produce a better feeling then fyn draai.



:lol:

I was a wing, later a scrumhalf. I managed to score, a time or two ....

See you dont understand. Scoring is nothing, setting up is everything.


OomPB set them up and WT scores with his big one....

Hello Gertjie, long time no see.

Hoop dit gaan goed met jou. Hoekom is jy n nOOp nou?


Hello Oom, bly besig tussen SA en UK. Moet seker meer kak post om nie meer n noop tewees nie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5703
Cartman wrote:
brat wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden


Was he the boks winger that Barrett beat for pace


Stay on topic please


Yeh ok.. this kolbe guy is awesome.. like a new version of David Smith


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 128
I always rated Kolbe, we had a number of small players over the years so I don't see a problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8663
Location: Mzansi
I'm pretty sure we must have had a similar thread on Gio Aplon about 10 years ago. :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11279
Beaver_Shark wrote:
I'm pretty sure we must have had a similar thread on Gio Aplon about 10 years ago. :uhoh:

If you wanted to pick a small player, Aplon was the one to pick. Destroyed teams at will.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30709
Cartman wrote:
Dyantyi can also step
Just ask Beauden

assfly wrote:
Breaking news: short winger can sidestep :yawn:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30709
Gert wrote:
I always rated Kolbe, we had a number of small players over the years so I don't see a problem.

I don't remember if I like you or not...this post suggests you're not half bad :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 232
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
I'm pretty sure we must have had a similar thread on Gio Aplon about 10 years ago. :uhoh:

If you wanted to pick a small player, Aplon was the one to pick. Destroyed teams at will.

We had this discussion indeed. :lol:
Turned out Aplon was completely useless at test level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30709
boere wors wrote:
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
I'm pretty sure we must have had a similar thread on Gio Aplon about 10 years ago. :uhoh:

If you wanted to pick a small player, Aplon was the one to pick. Destroyed teams at will.

We had this discussion indeed. :lol:
Turned out Aplon was completely useless at test level.

Not getting into the Aplon discussion but Kolbe has been good so far imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assfly, Bowtie, Brazil, CambridgeFergal, CarrotGawks, Conn, Doc Rob, earl the beaver, Farva, Gazzamonster, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, Homer, irishrugbyua, KnuckleDragger, La soule, Laurent, Lenny, Lobby, lorcanoworms, Margin_Walker, Mog The Almighty, Mullet 2, MunsterMan!!!!!, nardol, Petej, pjm1, Plato'sCave, Rinkals, Stjudes, The Sun God, Thomas, Tim13, Turbogoat, Ulsters Red Hand, waguser, Witchfinder General, Working Class Rugger and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group