Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am 

Seems Eddie Jones is keen to bring in Sam Lewis from Worcester as a possible back-up 7 to Tom Curry - born in Swansea, went to school in Wales and came through the Ospreys system, but qualifies through an English-born mother

Any Welshists with an opinion on him? Can't say I've seen him stand out that much for Worcester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am 

openclashXX wrote:
Seems Eddie Jones is keen to bring in Sam Lewis from Worcester as a possible back-up 7 to Tom Curry - born in Swansea, went to school in Wales and came through the Ospreys system, but qualifies through an English-born mother

Any Welshists with an opinion on him? Can't say I've seen him stand out that much for Worcester

He's a good player - had lots of injury problems in the past which saw his playing time at the Ospreys curtailed + he was always behind the likes of Tipuric etc..

Seems to be getting rave reviews at Worcester. I don't think he'd get a look in with Wales at 7 - so he might consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:16 am 

So what did Gary Graham do wrong?

Or is Jones just going to call up every half decent foreign-but-England-eligible player for a couple of sessions (except, inexplicably, the English-but-foreign-eligible Polledri)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 am 

I'd say he's 6th choice for Wales so you can have hine. We'll take Sam Moore in return.

Thanks and that's a deal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am 

Frodder wrote:
I'd say he's 6th choice for Wales so you can have hine. We'll take Sam Moore in return.

Thanks and that's a deal

Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins, James Davies, Ollie Griffiths, Thomas Young...7th, maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am 

Lewis is alright from what I've seen of Worcester, but we don't need him. There are better players who've already been involved in the England set up like the Falcons duo of Wilson (who plays across the back row) and Graham or Ben Earl who we took to SA. Plus if one Curry breaks we do have another one and from what I hear there's not a big difference in their abilities.

It wouldn't be an Eddie squad, though, without picking a back rower who stands 0 chance of seeing field time only to be discarded for the next EPS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 am 

4071 wrote:

Or is Jones just going to call up every half decent foreign-but-England-eligible player for a couple of sessions (except, inexplicably, the English-but-foreign-eligible Polledri)?

I wonder if Eddie wants to pinch these people, give them a cap against Italy or Scotland or someone else shite, then bin them forever, safe in the knowledge they can't change country.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am 

backrow wrote:
4071 wrote:

I wonder if Eddie wants to pinch these people, give them a cap against Italy or Scotland or someone else shite, then bin them forever, safe in the knowledge they can't change country.

Really?
Yet, a regularly on form Armand can't get a look in?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am 

But you've got Robshaw?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 am 

backrow wrote:
4071 wrote:

As the Welsh lads have pointed out above, Lewis isn't anywhere near the national side. There'd have to be an explosion at a capped Welsh opensides convention for him to get a shot, so it can't be that we're trying to stop them from poaching him. Did Scotland even know about Graham until Jones named him in an England squad (at which he duly got injured)? He'd only played a few Prem games at that point. SA aren't exactly crying out to cap 31 year olds with no international experience like Michael Rhodes, so if we do end up giving him a white shirt it won't be to stop them giving him a green one.

Whatever Eddie's up to the logic seems to reside only with him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am 

4071 wrote:

Another member of the Gary Graham fan club. :thumbup:

Maybe England want to get one back after losing Moriarty? (But he does seem to be a dumb penalty magnet, and England don't need any more of those, esp. after finally binning Cole.)

Last edited by Nieghorn on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am 

paddyor wrote:
But you've got Robshaw?

You're a bad, bad man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
4071 wrote:

Another member of the Gary Graham fan club. :thumbup:

Maybe England want to get one back after losing Moriarty? (But he does seem to be a dumb penalty magnet, and England don't need any more of those, esp. after finally binning Cole.)

Tbf I don’t think Moriarty ever had plans to play for the senior England side.

Let’s hope Jack Willis comes back the same player (and/or that his brother kicks on in the same vein); that + the Currys would solve our problems at 7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm 

Frodder wrote:

Thanks and that's a deal

I'd forgotten about Sam Moore. With Faletau down it would be an ideal time to grease his palm, I mean offer him the opportunity to play for the land of his fathers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm 

penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Thanks and that's a deal

Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins, James Davies, Ollie Griffiths, Thomas Young...7th, maybe.

And Dan Davis will be on that list in 18 months.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Thanks and that's a deal

Yep. I thought about putting down Aaron Wainwright too, but thought that would be overdoing it, he is more of a 6, but has played 7.

Sam Moore on the other hand we could do with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 pm 

penguin wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Thanks and that's a deal

Yep. I thought about putting down Aaron Wainwright too, but thought that would be overdoing it, he is more of a 6, but has played 7.

yep, that was part of my deal to the Saes. I've not heard back from them so I'm assuming it's a goer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm 

Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Thanks and that's a deal

yep, that was part of my deal to the Saes. I've not heard back from them so I'm assuming it's a goer

See if they'll throw in a lock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm 

Were Ball and Chatteris not enough?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm 

Joost wrote:
Were Ball and Chatteris not enough?!

We're looking to trade in our Charteris for a younger model - what have you got in an elongated XXXXL?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm 

backrow wrote:
4071 wrote:

25-13.

I've really let myself down rising to this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm 

slick wrote:
backrow wrote:
4071 wrote:

25-13.

I've really let myself down rising to this.

You've let me, you've let yourself, you've let the nation down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:59 pm 

Sam`s not a bad player and we were sorry to lose him, but, his brother Ben really could have made it before injury ended his career.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm 

Talking of brothers, Guy Graham joined his brother Gary at Falcons in the summer. Hasn't made his first team debut yet, but has been part of a second XV that has been doing rather well in their league.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm 

If Sam Lewis is on the radar, why isnt Olly Robinson?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 pm 

Unfortunately I think Olly Robinson is damaged by association with his dad. He’s a good player and never really got the credit he was due.

Sam Lewis was great for Worcester last season and has started this season in similar form. Eddie loves a poach, but if that’s what we’re going to do I’d much prefer Lewis to Rhodes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 pm 

If my memory serves me correctly (and there's a decent chance it doesn't), Lewis was well liked by the Ospreys, but I remember the principal issue being something like he was on a pay-to-play type of contract, and the Ospreys weren't willing to budge (or something like that).

From what I remember he was always slightly too small to really make a go at the highest level, but had/has some serious dog over the ball.

Let's be honest though...it would be hilarious that after training up England's last 7, they went ahead and poached our 6th/7th choice openside. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:07 pm 

Scrumhead wrote:
Unfortunately I think Olly Robinson is damaged by association with his dad. He’s a good player and never really got the credit he was due.

Sam Lewis was great for Worcester last season and has started this season in similar form. Eddie loves a poach, but if that’s what we’re going to do I’d much prefer Lewis to Rhodes.

Olly Rob is a fantastic player, man of the match performances galore. Sadly for him I don't think he fits the mould of a huge muscular seven for international rugby. We'll just keep him at the blues please where he's 100% appreciated :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm 

From what I have heard, they want to use Shields at 7, Billy at 8 and Rhodes at 6.

Not one of them born above the equator. Sums up growing the game.

I blame you cnuts for not letting me split the forum topics when I wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm 

Jake wrote:
From what I have heard, they want to use Shields at 7, Billy at 8 and Rhodes at 6.

Not one of them born above the equator. Sums up growing the game.

I blame you cnuts for not letting me split the forum topics when I wanted to.

:uhoh:

Bloody hell, really?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 pm 

Yes.

Actually, I rather like it, other than the fact they’re not English.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 pm 

I don't follow Super Rugby that closely, so I don't see why they seem to want Shields in the side so desperately. Rhodes is good, but he shouldn't be played ahead of someone like Wilson.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 pm 

Ceejay wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:

Olly Rob is a fantastic player, man of the match performances galore. Sadly for him I don't think he fits the mould of a huge muscular seven for international rugby. We'll just keep him at the blues please where he's 100% appreciated :thumbup:

All that being the case, he's still 4th choice, maybe even 5th choice backrow at the Blues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 pm 

How old is this prospect Rhodes?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 pm 

c69 wrote:
How old is this prospect Rhodes?

30. 31 in 2 months.

:(

I hate this kind of selection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 pm 

Given the size of the player base and the resources the Saes have this is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
I don't follow Super Rugby that closely, so I don't see why they seem to want Shields in the side so desperately. Rhodes is good, but he shouldn't be played ahead of someone like Wilson.

The thing with putting Shields at 7 is that he'd be a classic 6.5. The guy is a blindside for all money. It's like England never learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

The thing with putting Shields at 7 is that he'd be a classic 6.5. The guy is a blindside for all money. It's like England never learn.

The ironic thing is England are actually finally producing an Openside or two and Eddie doesn't really seem to give a f*ck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm 

Would love Ollie Robinson to play for England. Have a post bookmarked from 6 months ago where JM2K6 calls me a retard or an idiot or something for suggesting it :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
backrow wrote:
4071 wrote:

As the Welsh lads have pointed out above, Lewis isn't anywhere near the national side. There'd have to be an explosion at a capped Welsh opensides convention for him to get a shot, so it can't be that we're trying to stop them from poaching him. Did Scotland even know about Graham until Jones named him in an England squad (at which he duly got injured)? He'd only played a few Prem games at that point. SA aren't exactly crying out to cap 31 year olds with no international experience like Michael Rhodes, so if we do end up giving him a white shirt it won't be to stop them giving him a green one.

Whatever Eddie's up to the logic seems to reside only with him.

His Dad George is a former Scotland player. And he played for Scotland in the JRWC. But no, I’m sure the SRU had never heard of him.