Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 am 

Olo wrote:
It seems an age since Morty played. Wasn’t it him who destroyed SBW in his first international?
It may have been Tindall or Hape.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 am 

Mr Mike wrote:
Olo wrote:
It seems an age since Morty played. Wasn’t it him who destroyed SBW in his first international?

I think Mortlock smashed him in an Aus v BaaBaa's match in Aus, which was before his AB debut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Olo wrote:

I think Mortlock smashed him in an Aus v BaaBaa's match in Aus, which was before his AB debut.

6 months into his career as a rugby player and while he was still with Toulon, IIRC. Mortlock was clearly miffed that SBW had waltzed past him moments before, it was a great hit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:09 am 

Zakar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Why is Folau playing at #13 now?

FFS leave arguably the best fullback in the world (or at least in the running for it) at f-cking fullback. How hard is that? While you're at it. leave the best 7 in the world at 7 and select a proper 8.

I've been going on about this forever. Experimental selections are not going to save Australian rugby. Basics and consistent selections.

1. The cupboard is bare at 13 ATM. It was either Folou, Kerevi who hasn't played in months, or a bloke only just old enough to vote.

2. DHP has been better at fullback than Folou the last few games. Considerably better.

DHP has been your most consistent threat for sure. He's been excellent in the RC. iFol can be devastating but doesn't get involved enough/attack revolves too much around him to break open defences.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 am 

The forecast is for low-20s with some rain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 am 

I wonder if McKenzie is at 15 because we have a comparative lack of top end pace at 12 and 13. ALB and Goody have offered genuine pace most of the year in the middle of the park, and it goes a way towards justifying that particular selection. And I agree too with whoever asked about Bender playing again, and again, and again. Are we going to the well too often?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:16 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Olo wrote:

That’s the one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:58 am 

MungoMan wrote:
mojo wrote:
Anyone put the wobs team up yet? Here it is if not. Coleman out with groin injury.

Wallabies 15-1: Dane Haylett-Petty, Sefa Naivalu, Israel Folau, Kurtley Beale, Marika Koroibete, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Ned Hanigan, Rob Simmons, Izack Rodda, Allan Alaalatoa, Folau Fainga’a, Scott Sio

Reserves: Tolu Latu, Sekope Kepu, Taniela Tupou, Rory Arnold, Jack Dempsey, Pete Samu, Nick Phipps, Samu Kerevi, Tom Banks

That appears to be a team the ABs will defecate on with ease unless they are utterly distracted and disaffected.

..choke , 2 words, choke .......

Romain Poite :frown:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:59 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

FFS leave arguably the best fullback in the world (or at least in the running for it) at f-cking fullback. How hard is that? While you're at it. leave the best 7 in the world at 7 and select a proper 8.

I've been going on about this forever. Experimental selections are not going to save Australian rugby. Basics and consistent selections.

It's a tried and proven road to success. Worked very well* when the All Blacks tried it during several world cups...

* for the opposition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am 

Since when has the midfield required genuine pace?

They are creators, not finishers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am 

i would liek to see the AB's experiment Naholo at 13... might as well, his brother could be a future AB13.. maybe its in the blood..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:36 pm 

comets wrote:
i would liek to see the AB's experiment Naholo at 13... might as well, his brother could be a future AB13.. maybe its in the blood..

No.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:32 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

It's a tried and proven road to success. Worked very well* when the All Blacks tried it during several world cups...

* for the opposition.

Well the worlds best fullback is starting on the wing...

If I were Cheika, I'd aim midfield bombs and McKenzie with Folou on the chase.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:37 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
And that gameplan is so obvious I think the best coach in the world may just have a plan for that, shouldn't he?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:41 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
And that gameplan is so obvious I think the best coach in the world may just have a plan for that, shouldn't he?

I don't see what Joe Schmidt has to do with this game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:04 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I don't see what Joe Schmidt has to do with this game.

Coaches of lower tier comps should not be brought into this conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:10 pm 

Hansen is a hack.

It's like calling the driver of a Ferrari the world's best driver because they're consistently beating a few Nissan Micras... Particularly when they were terrible behind the wheel of a Micra anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:22 pm 

Drivers of Nissan Micras should not be part of this conversation either. :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:37 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Hansen is a hack.

It's like calling the driver of a Ferrari the world's best driver because they're consistently beating a few Nissan Micras... Particularly when they were terrible behind the wheel of a Micra anyway.

You leave our pet Shag alone!

He seems to have a sense of humor, be able to coach and have the respect of his players, and make very few fluxups! He's not too bad at the psych stuff neither.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:00 pm 

Olo wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

How old is that Picture?

it's a painting...

It’s pretty old.
SBW is no spring chicken either.

Nah, but he's old enough to make the Wobs squawk tomorrow. Darkness by 20 +

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:36 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

* for the opposition.

Same, tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:02 pm 

Having Folau at centre might put a slight handbrake on that little scheme , I could well be wrong but might well allow the defensive alighment to be compromised.

I guess one of the loose forwards might cover it.

🤔

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 pm 

eugenius wrote:
Having Folau at centre might put a slight handbrake on that little scheme , I could well be wrong but might well allow the defensive alighment to be compromised.

I guess one of the loose forwards might cover it.

🤔

Not many areas where the aussies have such a clear strength against a perceived AB’s weakness. Got to utilise that somehow, Shirley?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 pm 

I really like the thought of Barrett and McKenzie working in tandem, with Mo'unga on the bench. I think it's the best use of our resources. All three are creative players, but also attacking players in their own right. I like the idea of McKenzie lurking out wide, playing off offloads or 2nd phase ball. McKenzie will be able to rotate into first receiver when it suits the team, allowing Barrett to roam the wider channels where he can use his pace to create mismatches or exploit gaps in the defensive line. In the starting team we've got two creative attacking players, two solid defensive midfielders and then our two best wingers. I hope this backline clicks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I really like the thought of Barrett and McKenzie working in tandem, with Mo'unga on the bench. I think it's the best use of our resources. All three are creative players, but also attacking players in their own right. I like the idea of McKenzie lurking out wide, playing off offloads or 2nd phase ball. McKenzie will be able to rotate into first receiver when it suits the team, allowing Barrett to roam the wider channels where he can use his pace to create mismatches or exploit gaps in the defensive line. In the starting team we've got two creative attacking players, two solid defensive midfielders and then our two best wingers. I hope this backline clicks.

What are your thoughts on the halfback situation? I don't think Smith or Perenara have played great (though they haven't played badly either) for the ABs this season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:39 pm 

Tehui wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

What are your thoughts on the halfback situation? I don't think Smith or Perenara have played great (though they haven't played badly either) for the ABs this season.

I agree that neither is playing brilliantly or terribly. Aaron Smith has always been fairly dimensional, with his speedy, accurate pass being his main feature. TJP is clearly the more rounded player. I think both players have been cruising this year, perhaps they feel too safe in the team?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 pm 

I want Snecky to develop a running game to add a new dimension. If BB is getting shut down Snecky needs to snipe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 am 

AfterDavid actually has a really nice step when he picks his moment. He got that nice try vs Aus in Dunedin last year stepping inside Hooper & there was this one vs the Boks a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp_lXDZmkLE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:49 am 

5pm Oz time. Nearly missed it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:21 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:

Not on Ch 10 though from a quick scan?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:22 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

* for the opposition.

Same, tbh.

I'd just swap MacKenzie and BB out when defending for that added mid air strength, you need some height to counter the helicopter style of Fulool flailing away up there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 am 

grievous wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

It's on Ch10 4:55pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:42 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
grievous wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

It's on Ch10 4:55pm

Good. I dont have to listen to Kearnsy.
These days, the FTA st putting on the most rugby is NITV! Sure it ain't test rugby but kudos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:43 am 

Looks like the crowd will be at 50k max.

Given anything above 45k will be the highest attendance in Japanese international rugby history, it’s a dead rubber on neutral territory, and the tickets cost more than some of the RWC games at that venue I’m not sure why anyone should be surprised.

The Category 1 tickets are more expensive than the ABs Twickenham test FFS :? I can see why NZR took this game to Japan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:46 am 

Kiwis love to say "dead rubber".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:50 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Kiwis love to say "dead rubber".

But that’s what it is. I just saw a headline in The Australian calling it a dead rubber, a headline in The Japan Times calling it a dead rubber, a headline on the Planet Rugby main site that none of us ever visit calling it a dead rubber ...

Don’t be so precious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
AfterDavid actually has a really nice step when he picks his moment. He got that nice try vs Aus in Dunedin last year stepping inside Hooper & there was this one vs the Boks a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp_lXDZmkLE

Doesn't do it enough but. I'd like him dart from the scrum base or ruck a little more to keep the oppo's backs guessing.

And that's also 6 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:04 am 

Pretty funny to see posters call Aaron Smith one dimensional and lacking as an attacking threat.

He's one of our regular try scorers, FFS. He is awesome in backing up when our players make breaks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:10 am 

its a dead rubber but if the Wallabies somehow win, it would be more of a well used rubber *wink* *wink* cause butt f**king the AB's is every team's desire..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:22 am 

Going to be a bit of a come down after the mitre 10 cup final... might watch the 2nd half

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next