Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:44 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
The perfect illustration of the double standard the 'neutrals' hold NZ to is to imagine what would have happened if the roles were reversed at the end of the Lions series and a ref had over-ruled a penalty against NZ like that.

The differing reactions to the ref's performances in the 07 1/4 and the 11 final tells you an awful lot too.

There's no such thing as a neutral fan when it comes to the ABs. Much like there was no such thing as a neutral when it came to the Australian cricket team from the mid 90's to, uh, a few years ago.

People like seeing the underdog win. Your team is really good so it's nothing personal*

*only about 3% of the time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:51 am 

Thomas wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
The perfect illustration of the double standard the 'neutrals' hold NZ to is to imagine what would have happened if the roles were reversed at the end of the Lions series and a ref had over-ruled a penalty against NZ like that.

The differing reactions to the ref's performances in the 07 1/4 and the 11 final tells you an awful lot too.

There's no such thing as a neutral fan when it comes to the ABs. Much like there was no such thing as a neutral when it came to the Australian cricket team from the mid 90's to, uh, a few years ago.

People like seeing the underdog win. Your team is really good so it's nothing personal*

*only about 3% of the time

Oh, I get it but (like the reactions to the Aus team) it's more than just wanting the underdog to win - there's also a fairly large dose of misplaced butt hurt* in the way people react.

*from all the anal gaping.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:53 am 

What would be the motive for referees to favour New Zealand?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:56 am 

J Man wrote:

Paddy O'Brien being in charge of them 5 years ago, I think. Also Jedi mind tricks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 am 

The last country you'd want to favour would be New Zealand - the domestic market is too small. All the ref whinging crap makes no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 am 

J Man wrote:

Not getting death threats?

Not being lambasted in the NZ press for a decade?

I kid, I kid.

But yeah, I honestly don't think refs favour the ABs. Their ref management is top notch. They know which refs have particular issues and play that to an advantage. A ref who doesn't police the offisde line? We'll rush up offside until he pings us. A ref who has no idea what goes on in rucks? We'll fly in to get the ball until he pings us. There are some astute players in the ABs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 am 

TBF, it must be hard reffing the ABs. No matter how you do your going to be lambasted for "going easy on them" by the majority of the worlds worlds media and fans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:50 am 

Thomas wrote:
J Man wrote:

Not getting death threats?

Not being lambasted in the NZ press for a decade?

I kid, I kid.

But yeah, I honestly don't think refs favour the ABs. Their ref management is top notch. They know which refs have particular issues and play that to an advantage. A ref who doesn't police the offisde line? We'll rush up offside until he pings us. A ref who has no idea what goes on in rucks? We'll fly in to get the ball until he pings us. There are some astute players in the ABs.

And other sides don't know how individual refs interpret things and adjust accordingly?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

:nod: Nail head hit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23