Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 pm 

Nigel Owens told Zebo to apologise to his opposite number for taunting him as he scored for Racing, which Zebo did, in the flesh and on social media, but is it really the ref's remit to tell people off? Penalise them for breaking the law, fine, warn for repeated infringements, punish backchat, sure, but scolding them for not being nice?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 pm 

Not his job. Good sensible advice. I might have opted for a brisk kick in the goolies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 pm 

Ungentlemanly conduct. Cancel try and penalty to the opposition.

Zebo cvnt status confirmed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:21 pm 

It really does amaze me how professionals manage to be such arseholes. Literally their day to day remit is don’t be a total fuckwad and yet they manage to fudge it up somehow. All they had to do was exhale regularly and they could have a successful relationship as opposed to most.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 pm 

Zebo is a bit of an outlier in Irish rugby with his not towing the line personality. I don’t think Joe liked it.

In fairness playing in that Stadium with its massive digital screens, the light shows, the music, the cheerleaders and adulation, it’s got to do funny things to a man about to score a try.. especially a man high on life like Zebo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 pm 

Good on Nige for pulling the twat into line. This sort of shit needs to be stamped out of rugby.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 pm 

Shrekles wrote:
Good on Nige for pulling the twat into line. This sort of shit needs to be stamped out of rugby.

Bring back rucking. That'll sort them out pretty quickly. Stamp it out of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:37 pm 

wamberal99 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:

You're assuming that Zebo will be effectively involved in a ruck...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:

You're assuming that Zebo will be effectively involved in a ruck...

Sooner or later every player gets caught in possession. Once would be enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 pm 

wamberal99 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:

I miss the old days when twats like that got rucked by members of both teams...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:

I did like Dallaglio's comment about Itoje's antics in the Glasgow game, 'In my day he'd likely not have made it to the end of the match after that'.

A lot of the crap that goes on is because players know old school retribution is not going to happen, and most refs won't do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 am 

“Game values” is an excellent reminder about what the game should be about and less of this showboating crap, including the ruffling of hair or pat on head, the seagulling whilst screaming for a PK, the mocking of a player who does something wrong, etc, etc. Smash them hard and fair and have a contented grin when you do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 am 

Gwenno wrote:
Nigel Owens told Zebo to apologise to his opposite number for taunting him as he scored for Racing, which Zebo did, in the flesh and on social media, but is it really the ref's remit to tell people off? Penalise them for breaking the law, fine, warn for repeated infringements, punish backchat, sure, but scolding them for not being nice?

Good on Nigel, reminding players that sportsmanship is an important element in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am 

It's a bit of an indictment on how the game is going if we're evening questioning whether or not it was up to Nigel to have a word with Zebo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 am 

Well that's a fair straw poll.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 am 

Gwenno wrote:

Yes. Unsportsmanlike behaviour. Rugby has its roots in boys schools when the teachers would act as referees. They would regularly admonish players for bad language etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 am 

nardol wrote:

It's a shame because I saw him at Thomond Park a few years back spending about 40 mins after the final whistle chatting with fans, signing programmes, posing for photos with kids etc with CJ and thought what a top bloke. He even ended up giving away his match boots to some awe struck youngster which I thought was very cool and my opinion of him was very positive after that so it's sad to see him behave on the field like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am 

Fabulous bit of reffing. It's a shame Owens wasn't in charge of the Glasgow/Saracens game, he would have abolutely imploded at Itoje's shite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am 

BlackMac wrote:
Fabulous bit of reffing. It's a shame Owens wasn't in charge of the Glasgow/Saracens game, he would have abolutely imploded at Itoje's shite

Only saw the highlights. Was he doing the clapping thing again?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am 

BlackMac wrote:

He is an old Harrovian - say no more.

Joke told me by my stepfather (an old Harrovian) - An Etonian, a Wykhamist and a Harrovian are watching a cricket match. A woman comes to talk to them. The Etonian offers her a chair, the Wykhamist goes to get one for her and the Harrovian sits in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 am 

Gwenno wrote:
BlackMac wrote:

Only saw the highlights. Was he doing the clapping thing again?

Glasgow thought they had scored on the stroke of half time but the whistle had already gone for a penalty to Saracens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 am 

BlackMac wrote:

That is a shame. I'd pay good money to see Owens implode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 am 

I wish more refs would do it - a handful of reversed penalties/10 yds and the dickheads would quickly be brought into line.

Imagine how funny it would have been if Itoje's nonsense had handed the impetus back to Glasgow by having a penalty awarded against him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
nardol wrote:

It's a shame because I saw him at Thomond Park a few years back spending about 40 mins after the final whistle chatting with fans, signing programmes, posing for photos with kids etc with CJ and thought what a top bloke. He even ended up giving away his match boots to some awe struck youngster which I thought was very cool and my opinion of him was very positive after that so it's sad to see him behave on the field like that.

He apologized to the young Ulster FB during and after the game, even Darren Cave doing the commentary mentioned that Zebo is usually a total gent. I guess it was just a minor brain-fart and not representative of the blokes true character ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:58 am 

I suppose that is the main point - when you are wrong admit it straight away, and that is what he did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am 

Wrong sort of chap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am 

The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
nardol wrote:

He apologized to the young Ulster FB during and after the game, even Darren Cave doing the commentary mentioned that Zebo is usually a total gent. I guess it was just a minor brain-fart and not representative of the blokes true character ...

No, no , no that's impossible. The Ulster lads have told us on here that he's a grade A twat so that's that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Yes. Unsportsmanlike behaviour. Rugby has its roots in boys schools when the teachers would act as referees. They would regularly admonish players for bad language etc.

Indeed. A teacher at my school (a Benedictine monk) once sent me off for blasphemy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Indeed. A teacher at my school (a Benedictine monk) once sent me off for blasphemy

You got away lightly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am 

Flametop wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

You got away lightly.

Nah, he was a good 'un

Others on the other hand .......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 am 

Shrekles wrote:
I miss the old days when twats like that got rucked by members of both teams...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am 

Why are we only naming 2 players with a darker skin colour in terms of bad behaviour?
Racists!

I nominate Freddie Burns in the name of appeasing the race gods.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am 

Zebo comes out of this looking like a poes but if it's a choice between Owens actually refereeing the breakdown to the laws, or telling players off for being twats, then I know which one I would choose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am 

Ref is as much part of the game as the players. And him impressing good manners and sportmanship (in lieu of the captain) is quite suitable.

A penalty form the half line would have reinforced his point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:24 am 

Zebo being a shit was before the try was scored. Penalty from halfway only applies for acts that occur over the try line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:29 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:

I did like Dallaglio's comment about Itoje's antics in the Glasgow game, 'In my day he'd likely not have made it to the end of the match after that'.

A lot of the crap that goes on is because players know old school retribution is not going to happen, and most refs won't do anything.

Ugo Monye and Chris Jones were insufferable on the Rugby Union Weekly podcast excusing Itoje acting the prick there. Jones in particular went on some nonsense mini-rant about how in the scope of wider issues in the game it doesn't matter and how such carry on needs to be accommodated if the game's going to expand. Ugo just lamely opined that it was quite funny.

We all hate the carnts who hold onto players at rucks looking to frustrate them into lashing out, Itoje's doing the exact same thing. Just get on and play.

Conduct prejudicial to the game is an offence for a reason and the values of rugby need to be upheld. I really don't care if it remains a niche sport, it's never going to be massive and if it strays too far from what we all know and love a lot of it's core support will wane anyway, offsetting whatever gains are made from other fanbases.

Zebo's actions are just completely lacking in class. It shouldn't be the ref's job to police players' dickheadery, but if the latter don't self-regulate then the former has to step in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 pm 

nardol wrote:
Zebo being a shit was before the try was scored. Penalty from halfway only applies for acts that occur over the try line.

Try disallowed (bad sportmanship) and penalty kick from the spot, then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 pm 

BlackMac wrote:

There's the thing though. If he clamps down on Zebo for a bit of mild finger pointing he has to crack down on all the mouthing and hair ruffling that you see at many scrums these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm 

wait till jumper sees this thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

Quote:
Conduct prejudicial to the game is an offence for a reason and the values of rugby need to be upheld. I really don't care if it remains a niche sport, it's never going to be massive and if it strays too far from what we all know and love a lot of it's core support will wane anyway, offsetting whatever gains are made from other fanbases.

This.

This.

This.