It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hero of Telemark - gone
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm 

Legend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45938874

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

Quote:
After the explosion, the men escaped into neighbouring Sweden by skiing 320km (200 miles) across Telemark - despite being chased by some 3,000 German soldiers.

With a wry smile, Ronneberg described it as "the best skiing weekend I ever had".

Legend is spot-on :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm 

I'm Spartacus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:10 pm 

A true hero. RIP

He was born in Ålesund. I have sailed there. The Management's friend lives there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm 

globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

He was born in Ålesund. I have sailed there. The Management's friend lives there.

Just why?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Just why?

Because it's true. Her name is Wenche. She was married to The Management's brother.

Much more to this than meets the eye. I expect the usual incoming from twits.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Just why?

Because it's true. Her name is Wenche. She was married to The Management's brother.

Even so. It's of absolutely no interest to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm 

globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Globby mate, if you want to avoid getting shit, there's a simple rule to follow: when you comment on something, as soon as you type "I ..." for the first time, stop, delete that, then hit post.

Quote:
A true hero. RIP

He was born in Ålesund.

Would have been a fine post.

Just a friendly tip.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm 

globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Suddenly this obscure person bursts into vivid life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm 

I have no doubt someone will prove me wrong, but it appears that those whose exploits were the most remarkable were also the most modest and self effacing.

I'm reminded about Clarkson's documentary about how his father in law had won the VC. The punch line being he'd never bothered to tell his children that he had.

Edit, 'The punch line......' obviously.

Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I have no doubt someone will prove me wrong, but it appears that those whose exploits were the most remarkable were also the most modest and self effacing.

I'm reminded about Clarkson's documentary about how his father in law had won the VC. The punch lie being he'd never bothered to tell his children that he had.

Yep, I am in the process of reading Tom Crean's biography. An astonishing story of a man from a small poor farm in west Kerry going onto become one of the most respected figures in the golden age of Antarctic exploration but barely mentioned it late in life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Just why?

It is to me. I post on here like I'm in the pub. Doesn't matter if no-one else is interested.

They can always dead bat it.

I'm not going to try and list the vacuous posts on here. Some true ignorance on show.

Plus, I knew this might come up. It bothers me not a jot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

I'm reminded about Clarkson's documentary about how his father in law had won the VC. The punch lie being he'd never bothered to tell his children that he had.

Yep, I am in the process of reading Tom Crean's biography. An astonishing story of a man from a small poor farm in west Kerry going onto become one of the most respected figures in the golden age of Antarctic exploration but barely mentioned it late in life.

The clip from that's life of Sir Nicholas Winterton always gets me - obviously saving almost 700 odd kids in the war was the important thing, but the fact he didn't tell anyone, even his wife who had to discover it by finding a box in the attic with all the info listed inside, tells you a lot about the character.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Understandable though seeing that Ireland had just gained independence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 pm 

globus wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Just why?

It is to me. I post on here like I'm in the pub. Doesn't matter if no-one else is interested.

They can always dead bat it.

I'm not going to try and list the vacuous posts on here. Some true ignorance on show.

Plus, I knew this might come up. It bothers me not a jot.

You really are an arrogant unlikeable cnut, aren't you?
No wonder people screen your calls and ignore you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 pm 

penguin wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

The clip from that's life of Sir Nicholas Winterton always gets me - obviously saving almost 700 odd kids in the war was the important thing, but the fact he didn't tell anyone, even his wife who had to discover it by finding a box in the attic with all the info listed inside, tells you a lot about the character.

Winton you mean - one of Maidenhead's finest. He came to a school fete of ours, plus 10+ years later I sold him some Recycling scheme thing. His sister or wife (I forget which) was best friends with my Piano teacher.
Later on still, on his 100th birthday, he was in the news for doing a Microlight trip (from White Waltham Aerodrome) with the son of a kid whom he saved - I used to work as a short order chef there in a pre-graduation summer job.

I know nothing else about him or anything about what was drunk, inventions, wildly implausible bets, deckchair balancing etc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Understandable though seeing that Ireland had just gained independence.

It obviously touches on this in the book insofar as Kerry being a hot bed of republicanism but the wider portrait of the man is one of understatement and quiet modesty. Shackleton had him as one of the first names on his expedition list but outside of the royal geographical society and the navy very few people knew who he was or his deeds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

Well, thanks for that knowledgeable observation LM. I couldn't give a monkeys about your opinion.

Try and remember that. There is an ignore facility. Use it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

globus wrote:
Well, thanks for that knowledgeable observation LM. I couldn't give a monkeys about your opinion.

I'll post as I please now go fcuk yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

backrow wrote:
penguin wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Winton you mean - one of Maidenhead's finest. He came to a school fete of ours, plus 10+ years later I sold him some Recycling scheme thing. His sister or wife (I forget which) was best friends with my Piano teacher.
Later on still, on his 100th birthday, he was in the news for doing a Microlight trip (from White Waltham Aerodrome) with the son of a kid whom he saved - I used to work as a short order chef there in a pre-graduation summer job.

I know nothing else about him or anything about what was drunk, inventions, wildly implausible bets, deckchair balancing etc

Crap, yeah - Winton. Whoops.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
globus wrote:

I'll post as I please now go fcuk yourself.

You even quote my observation. And cannot resist putting in swearing. You are neither a rugby player nor a gentleman.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:

I'm reminded about Clarkson's documentary about how his father in law had won the VC. The punch line being he'd never bothered to tell his children that he had.

Edit, 'The punch line......' obviously.

Remember that doco; it was for single-handedly holding-off/destroying a number of German tanks at Arnhem, I think. His family had only found out about it, and the fact he had been awarded the VC, after his death.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 pm 

globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Globby mate, if you want to avoid getting shit,

He don't know globby very well do he.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm 

Probably not. I can deal with cowpats. I've fallen into a couple and been beseiged by flies.

I take it all in good humour. A few on here could grow up a bit.

Latest project is quite fun. Just pulling together the cast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm 

C’mon, ‘fell into?’ I think you were probably pushed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm 

globus wrote:
I post on here like I'm in the pub. Doesn't matter if no-one else is interested.

The inevitable outcome of a globus night out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 pm 

koroke hangareka wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

I certainly think more highly of him now that I know he shares something in common with a true international legend...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 pm 

koroke hangareka wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

A great man indeed, however keeping his British navy career under the radar in South West Kerry in the decades following the war of independence was probably a prudent decision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 pm 

EverReady wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Unbelievable man

The worst journey in the world and the story of Shackleton's south Georgia journey both show him in a stunning light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 am 

globus wrote:
I post on here like I'm in the pub

Which if true I then feel truly sorry for the patrons of your local.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 am 

sorCrer wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
A true hero. RIP

Just why?

Nope .