Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions 2019 SR thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 am 

Sards wrote:
At least the Lions , Sharks and Bulls are taking this seriously

Monday after the Sharks lost to the Lions you'll tell us that the Sharks played with youngsters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 pm 

Average Joe wrote:
Jens how do you feel knowing all your Lions wankathon threads are going to go up in a puff of smoke. You better take some screen grabs before the wipe. What a shame all that hard work gone for ever and ever.

What are you talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:20 pm 

Sards wrote:
Lions – 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Warren Whiteley (c), 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Kwagga Smith, Marvin Orie, 4 Ruan Vermaak, 3 Carlü Sadie, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Dylan Smith.
Subs: 16 Pieter Jansen, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Frans van Wyk, 19 Jacobie Adriaanse, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Dillon Smith, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Sylvian Mahuza, 24 Ruan Combrinck, 25 Vincent Tshituka, 26 Rhyno Herbst.

It's disappointing that Swys isn't giving some more of the youngsters a run in a practice match. Would have liked to see Simelane get some time against a good senior side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

Sards wrote:
Lions – 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Warren Whiteley (c), 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Kwagga Smith, Marvin Orie, 4 Ruan Vermaak, 3 Carlü Sadie, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Dylan Smith.
Subs: 16 Pieter Jansen, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Frans van Wyk, 19 Jacobie Adriaanse, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Dillon Smith, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Sylvian Mahuza, 24 Ruan Combrinck, 25 Vincent Tshituka, 26 Rhyno Herbst.

5 to 8 are a little light aren't they?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:13 pm 

GLRU Prize winners 2018:

Under-19
Forward Player of the Year
Winner: Asenathi Ntlabakanye

Backline Player of the Year
Winner: Prince Nkabinde

Player of the Year
Winner: Dameon Venter

Under-21
Winner: Darrien-Lane Landsberg

Winner: Jan-Louis la Grange

Player of the Year
Winner: Tyrone Green & Darrien-Lane Landsberg

Currie Cup
Nominees: Sti Sithole, Rhyno Herbst, Hacjivah Dayimani
Winner: Hacjivah Dayimani

Nominees: Courtnall Skosan, Nic Groom, Shaun Reynolds
Winner: Shaun Reynolds

Player of the Year
Nominees: Hacjivah Dayimani, Shaun Reynolds, Courtnall Skosan
Winner: Courtnall Skosan

Super Rugby
Nominees: Elton Jantjies, Lionel Mapoe, Aphiwe Dyantyi
Winner: Aphiwe Dyantyi

Nominees: Marvin Orie, Kwagga Smith, Malcolm Marx
Winner: Malcolm Marx

Player of the Year
Nominees: Elton Jantjies, Malcolm Marx, Aphiwe Dyantyi
Winner: Elton Jantjies

Players Player of the Year
Nominees: Malcolm Marx, Aphiwe Dyantyi

Fan’s Player of the Year
Nominees: Malcolm Marx, Aphiwe Dyantyi

Most Valued Player of the Year
Nominees: Elton Jantjies, Malcolm Marx, Aphiwe Dyantyi
Winner: Elton Jantjies

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:23 pm 

Are those 2- backline and forward in the U19 category any good?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 pm 

Masterji wrote:
Are those 2- backline and forward in the U19 category any good?

Both have been named in the SA Rugby Academy squad announced this week and Asenathi Ntlabakanye played for the Junior Boks last year and seemed to do well at tighthead when he came on.

Unfortunately the provincial u19 games don't get much tv exposure so it's difficult to follow the youngsters through the season unless one attend the matches

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm 

The Lions have beaten the Sharks 19-14 in a Super Rugby warm-up match played at Cape Town Stadium on Sunday.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 pm 

Not having watched the game it's good to read that

- Carlu Sadie worked well at tighthead
- The Lions lightweight backrow clicked, especially Whiteley
- Elton Jantjies performed well and ran a varied game
- The Lions seem to have upped their defence, which was severely lacking last year
- And there were no reported injuries

Next up the Jaguares in the real thing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
Not having watched the game it's good to read that

- Carlu Sadie worked well at tighthead
- The Lions lightweight backrow clicked, especially Whiteley
- Elton Jantjies performed well and ran a varied game
- And there were no reported injuries

Next up the Jaguares in the real thing

Elton was terrible. Fumbling balls and loosing it in contact. Someone nearby said.." that's the Elton we know ".
Your loose forwards were very industrious turning over ball and won the game. Marx was magnificent.

I can see a pattern. Lions working on turning over ball. Stormers intercepts. Bulls set piece. Sharks offensive defense

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 am 

Sards wrote:
Elton was terrible. Fumbling balls and loosing it in contact. Someone nearby said.." that's the Elton we know ".
Your loose forwards were very industrious turning over ball and won the game. Marx was magnificent.

I can see a pattern. Lions working on turning over ball. Stormers intercepts. Bulls set piece. Sharks offensive defense

Seems ring rust troubled both sides, not just Elton, in what seemed to have been a scrappy game

Quote:
Dit was duidelik albei spanne het nog voorseisoense roes om af te skud voor die Superreeks later vandeesmaand begin, maar daar was nietemin steeds rede om optimisties te wees oor die Leeus en die Haaie se aanslae in dié kompetisie vanjaar.

’n Skouspel was dit beslis nie en dat die Leeus met 19-14 geseëvier het in hierdie Superheld-Sondag-stryd, is grotendeels irrelevant.

Nie een van die vier drieë wat die opwarmstryd opgelewer het, sou kandidate vir Drie van die Jaar gewees het nie.

Soos dit gewoonlik met losmakers die geval is, is die wedstryd gekenmerk deur hanteerfoute, verlore besit en swak afronding.

Albei spanne het meer as een keer sonder welslae tot in die teenstander se halfgebied gevorder.

Die Haaie-blits Makazole Mapimpi het die eerste punte aangeteken toe hy ’n pasella-aangee van Shaun Reynolds onderskep het en vir sy direkte teenstander, Courtnall Skosan, hakskene gewys het op pad doellyn toe.

Dit was uiteindelik nog ’n onderskepdrie – deur die Leeus se plaasvervanger Sylvain Mahuza – wat die verskil tussen die spanne was.

Die Leeus se kaptein, Warren Whiteley, wat vir 60 minute op die veld was, lyk fiks en skerp en die ander senior manne in die Johannesburgers se pak soos Malcolm Marx en Kwagga Smith sou ook tevrede wees met hulle vertonings.

Dit was ook ooglopend dat die Leeus meer kontinuïteit in die agterlyn het.

Robert du Preez, die Haaie se afrigter, sou midde-in die getjommel nie veel wys geword het met Curwin Bosch se poging op losskakel nie.

https://www.netwerk24.com/Sport/Rugby/haaie-kan-hul-nie-uit-leeus-se-web-loswikkel-20190203

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 am 

I thought the Lions played well and were just value for their win. I though the Lions loose forwards together with Marx were outstanding on the day, covering a lot of grass making carries/tackling etc. The Sharks played below what they are capable of and should still be the No 1 franchise. They just still seem to have an arrogance which lets them down. After suffering in the scrums they win one penalty after a good scrum and they act like they won the game. Also I am liking Jeremy Ward less and less. Holding back a player he should have got a yellow.

If you had to ask me my man of the match it would have been Am. I thought he was class.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:12 am 

beachboy wrote:
I thought the Lions played well and were just value for their win. I though the Lions loose forwards together with Marx were outstanding on the day, covering a lot of grass making carries/tackling etc. The Sharks played below what they are capable of and should still be the No 1 franchise. They just still seem to have an arrogance which lets them down. After suffering in the scrums they win one penalty after a good scrum and they act like they won the game. Also I am liking Jeremy Ward less and less. Holding back a player he should have got a yellow.

If you had to ask me my man of the match it would have been Am. I thought he was class.

The Lion scrumming was a big worry for this season but they seemed to come through it okay with Carlu Sadie slotting in well at TH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:03 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
beachboy wrote:

The Lion scrumming was a big worry for this season but they seemed to come through it okay with Carlu Sadie slotting in well at TH

Carlu is a great player. To make it as a tight forward coming from a school not in the top league in the W/Cape says a lot about him. He will just get better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:08 am 

Quote:
These are the reasons why I believe the Lions COULD stay right up among the hottest contenders for the Super Rugby 2019 title:

Been there, (so nearly) done that

A lot of neutral Super Rugby-watchers will be egging on the Lions to achieve that really “feel good” story: overall trophy success after three instances in a row from 2016 to 2018 of being pipped at the post (or read: in the final).

While there may be a similarly well-stocked lobby harbouring a suspicion that their best chance may now have gone, especially with some torpedo-to-the-hull departures of stalwarts to other pastures, it might just be premature to suggest they are going to go noticeably backwards in 2019.

They still possess the fulcrum, let’s not forget - and it includes some exciting, fast-maturing youngsters - of the personnel who have driven their charge over the past handful of seasons.

Winning games rather more often than tasting defeat has become cultural, if you like, at Emirates Airline Park, and you can’t just buy that habit with the bread at the corner store.

A lot of their existing squad members have already shown that they have the required perseverance, determination and durability to prosper right up to - and then just as often through - the knockout phase.

Squad spirit

Not unrelated to that last paragraph, the Johannesburg-based outfit have also looked the happiest, most harmonious and generally “driven” of all South African sides over the last few campaigns.

Evidence from last season suggests that the level of spirit first generated during Johan Ackermann's tenure in charge has been largely undimmed since Swys de Bruin's elevation to head coach.

Throw in the fact that they possess a renowned “people person” and sound motivator and inspirer as captain in Warren Whiteley - this will be his ninth Lions season in Super Rugby and sixth as skipper - and there is little reason to anticipate any dressing-room disharmony in 2019.

Several experienced players moving on hardly seems constructive ... but is there just the chance that the need for refreshment and younger legs in certain positions may give the Lions dangerous new, and more “secret” dimensions in certain senses?

Some shrewd acquisitions

The inconvenient exodus of some previously core players will naturally be discussed in the second instalment of this spotlight on the Lions, but give their administrators some due: they have snapped up a couple of players who will provide a semblance of rebalancing to their squad pool.

Clearly the one-cap Springbok and lanky former Sharks second-rower Stephan Lewies is enthusiastic about leaving a comfort zone, as he more or less put it, and trying the re-establish his Test credentials at a new franchise home. He is a just-turned 27, suggesting his best years might yet lie in front of him if he makes a suitable fist of things in the Big Smoke.

The Lions also added much-needed beef to their prop stocks by recruiting for 2019 the young, high-tonnage, low-centre-of-gravity tighthead Carlu Sadie: he is a promising talent indeed and was only really third in the pecking order at Newlands due to the presence of Bok stalwarts Frans Malherbe and Wilco Louw.

Similarly, well-travelled Danie Mienie adds to their loosehead arsenal, behind fit-again marauder Dylan Smith: he has played for all of the Sharks, Cheetahs, Griquas and Toulouse in France.

Don’t forget that they will hope for overdue, uninterrupted service this season, too, from versatile back-three kingpin Ruan Combrinck, who has not exactly had best luck with injuries for two years or so.

Cerebral playing style

The Lions clearly haven’t been furthest-progressing SA side for all of the last three seasons without possessing the correct muti when it comes to brand of rugby.

More often than not, the pace and intelligence of their game (first under Ackermann and then his former right-hand figure De Bruin) has so clearly seemed in much nearer the same league as, for instance, the finest New Zealand franchises.

While hardly ignoring the still vital, physically-orientated parts of the game, the Lions have tended to steer pleasingly clear of predictable, ponderous, “bumper-car” hallmarks to their play ... including advocating a genuinely 15-man approach and allowing individuals to back themselves if they see that something may be on even if from a seemingly unfavourable angle or part of the field.

Sooner or later, you’d imagine other SA-conference sides are going to finally haul them in for progressive rugby methods; whether it is yet, though, remains to be seen over the next few months.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/lions-super-rugby-focus-their-strengths-20190204

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 am 

A big task for the Lions this year will be to get their defence back to near 2017 levels when they only conceded 36 tries up to and including the final as opposed to the 63 they conceded in 2018.

Sunday's game against the Sharks seemed to focus on an improved defence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am 

Quote:
Coach Swys de Bruin says the Lions achieved a ‘pass mark’ in Sunday’s pre-season win over the Sharks in Cape Town, writes CRAIG LEWIS.

Kicking off the ‘SuperHero Sunday’ double header, both the Lions and Sharks battled to find any real rhythm to their play, although the Johannesburg-based side ultimately did enough to clinch a scrappy 19-14 victory.

The Lions are set to get their Super Rugby campaign under way with a challenging away game against the Jaguares on 16 February, and De Bruin suggested that would be the real litmus test for his side.

‘I’m just relieved in the sense that there were no injury worries [on Sunday]. In these sort of games, you don’t want to show too much, and you just desperately hope there won’t be any injuries. For a first game of the season, with a lot of guys coming back, I’ll give it a pass mark, but not a good pass.

‘Our DNA is to play [ambitious rugby], and with the loose forwards we have, we want to give the ball some air,’ De Bruin added. ‘We made use of a big squad, and it’s difficult to maintain momentum when you’re making lots of changes, but there are no big concerns.’

Captain Warren Whiteley admitted that it was a rather rusty performance, but insisted that the Lions know exactly where they stand, heading into a new season.

‘It was a bit stop-start. It felt quite slow, to be honest, and the game just didn’t get going. I thought we played well in periods, but didn’t capitalise well enough on all the possession and territory we had. Our discipline and turnovers cost us a bit, but we were trying some new combinations.’

Whiteley said the team would need to significantly improve their intensity when they take on the Jaguares.

‘We were a bit lethargic and slow at lineout time, and the transition from the lineout also wasn’t what it should have been. We lost too much ball there. We know what we need to work on, but I did think there were some encouraging moments on attack.’

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/lions-satisfied-with-hit-out/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 pm 

Quote:
Following the more upbeat-angled first assessment, these are the reasons why the Lions could fall short of a fourth successive appearance in the Super Rugby final in 2019 (and possibly also not even boss the SA conference this year):

No more 'Factor Franco'

Can there possibly have been a better, more consistent workhorse on the South African Super Rugby scene for the past few seasons than Franco Mostert?

It will seem eerie and discomforting to Lions enthusiasts, more particularly, but also other compatriots watching them this season not to witness the lean, motor-beat combatant at the very fulcrum of their pack.

Mostert is one of those individuals who seems to defy the sports scientists by playing, with unerring relish, seemingly absurd amounts of rugby annually ... yet is also fiercely resistant to coming off before the “full eighty” in any matches.

Now, after numerous campaigns with "Sous" driving, cleaning, jumping and tackling with enormous vigour for the Lions since 2014, he has left their books for a new chapter with Gloucester in England.

There is a strong, combined work ethic at Emirates Airline Park, where humility is also valued, and they can also still field a strong enough, Mostert-less lock pairing if injuries don’t wreak significant havoc during the 2019 roster: Marvin Orie is coming on in leaps and bounds whether in a No 4 or 5 jersey, especially when he curbs hot-headed moments.

But boy, the Lions WILL still miss their Mossie ...

Dwindling depth

Again, the just-discussed Mostert is naturally a major part of this concern.

But the franchise’s bleeding of big names between Super Rugby seasons to overseas clubs includes all of loosie tearaway Jaco Kriel, bustling midfielder Rohan Janse van Rensburg, and two yeoman props in under-rated Jacques van Rooyen and sometimes Bok tighthead Ruan Dreyer.

All of them still with plenty of gas left in the rugby tank, this near-mass emigration is a blow of no small magnitude.

While the Lions, as mentioned in more upbeat part one of this survey, can now fast-track the development of a few promising young players to begin to make up for the drawback, there is also no substitute for rich experience in Super Rugby squads.

They are also going to feel even greater pain in some positions – perish the thought that superhuman hooker Malcolm Marx were suddenly to be stripped from their necessarily remodelled front row, for instance - if injuries hit them notably hard.

Risk of back-foot start to campaign

It is never that easy to play catch-up in Super Rugby.

But that is what the Lions could just be doing even before round three comes along: they begin with two relative stinkers (at least on paper) in the Jaguares in Buenos Aires and then Stormers in an appealing, already potentially high-stakes derby at Newlands.

While the next trio of games (Bulls, Jaguares again, and Rebels) are all reassuringly in Jo’burg, they could be sitting at nought from two ahead of that little stretch.

The first fixture in distant South America might not seem too formidable, considering that the visitors are last season’s tournament runners-up and the "Pumas in disguise" ended last season’s competition in unremarkable, mid-table seventh overall.

But that is not taking into account the Lions’ bleak track record in Buenos Aires: they have lost all of their three fixtures there since the Jaguares joined the competition: 49-35 last year, 36-24 in 2017 and 34-22 in 2016.

A shift in the trend would be an enormous tonic for the Lions ahead of their similarly perilous Capetonian date with the Stormers.

Another drawback in broad rostering terms for the Lions is that their main, three-match overseas leg includes real toughies in both the defending champion Crusaders and the Chiefs in New Zealand (Brumbies across the ditch first up).

Shortage of 'grunt' at loose forward

On the plus side, the Lions possess some of the most crowd-thrilling, athletic and game-breaking loosies of all local franchises.

Just for example, the starting trio they named for the Super Hero Sunday pre-season festival at Cape Town Stadium was captain Warren Whiteley at No 8, former SA Sevens favourite Kwagga Smith as open-side tearaway and the rangy young Hacjivah Daymani, still only 21, at No 7.

But the last-named player, for all his roaming ability and enviable skills set, is no traditional blindside flanker - a role that often enough demands a tight-playing, physical bruiser like a Pieter-Steph du Toit or Jean-Luc du Preez, especially on slow, heavier surfaces.

There it really seems "Cyle Brink or bust" for the Lions this year, especially as versatile lock-cum-flanker Lourens Erasmus has cruelly succumbed to long-term injury already and the afore-mentioned Mostert (certainly no slouch whenever he swaps five for seven) is no longer available to the cause.

Remember that it wasn’t too long ago, either, that the Lions could still boast another strapping young enforcer in Ruan Ackermann on the blindside flank, although he is now firmly ensconced in his new life at Gloucester.

You do need some balance to your loose trio, and the Jo'burg side somehow seem far better stocked in run-around men than they do big units with natural mongrel there.

It may not be a problem some of the time; it could be at others.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/lions-super-rugby-focus-their-shortcomings-20190204

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:52 am 

You have to laugh at the Journalists. " Lions have lost their edge ....". Will be bossed in the SA conference.

Lions are still a quality unit and as much as we can take some pleasure out of the past weekends results and claim moral victories, this is by no means a real indication of what the season will be. Real desperation stuff to be relevant.

I also read about how the first choice Bulls that started are poor compared to their replacements.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 pm 

Quote:
The Lions are about to unveil their Super Rugby squad in the knowledge they still need to plug a few holes in their pack.

The Lions‚ who have been hit by defections and injury‚ especially in their pack‚ will soon be boosted by the addition of a lock‚ while they may also swoop on a blindside flank.

They are set to sign a foreign-based South African lock to help avoid a potential crisis once the competition gets underway next week.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby/2019-02-07-lions-to-unveil-their-super-rugby-squad-in-the-knowledge-they-still-need-to-plug-a-few-holes-in-their-pack/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 am 

Lions to sign lock Wilhelm van der Sluis (Exeter Chiefs) from 1 March apparently.

Lourens Erasmus is out injured for most of the season and Andries Ferreira's position is uncertain although he has been training with the Lions, leaving the Lions currently thin on lock stock with Marvin Orie, Stefan Lewies, Ruan Vermaak and Rhyno Herbst

http://www.lionsworld.co.za/forumnew/leeus-kry-oudmatie-om-op-slot-uit-te-help_topic7422.html

van der Sluys doesn't have an impressive record, very much a journeyman used as cover

2016–2017 Worcester Warriors 1
2016 → Rotherham Titans 2
2016 → London Scottish 3
2017 → Southern Kings 11
2017–present Exeter Chiefs 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Lions to sign lock Wilhelm van der Sluis (Exeter Chiefs) from 1 March apparently.

Lourens Erasmus is out injured for most of the season and Andries Ferreira's position is uncertain although he has been training with the Lions, leaving the Lions currently thin on lock stock with Marvin Orie, Stefan Lewies, Ruan Vermaak and Rhyno Herbst

http://www.lionsworld.co.za/forumnew/leeus-kry-oudmatie-om-op-slot-uit-te-help_topic7422.html

van der Sluys doesn't have an impressive record, very much a journeyman used as cover

2016 → London Scottish 3
2017 → Southern Kings 11

What is the problem with Andries Ferreira?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 am 

Chilli wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

2016 → London Scottish 3
2017 → Southern Kings 11

Not sure. He returned from Japan with an ankle injury and had to pass a medical before re-signing. He seems to have passed the medical as he has been practicing with the Lions but apparently the contract hasn't been re-signed yet. Might just be negotiations or he might have a fulltime offer from his Japanese club that is coming into play

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

2016 → London Scottish 3
2017 → Southern Kings 11

Not sure. He returned from Japan with an ankle injury and had to pass a medical before re-signing. He seems to have passed the medical as he has been practicing with the Lions but apparently the contract hasn't been re-signed yet. Might just be negotiations or he might have a fulltime offer from his Japanese club that is coming into play

Ouch. You will need a player like him this campaign.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 am 

Quote:
Lions coach Swys de Bruin has confirmed that the franchise has strengthened its depth at lock with the acquisition of Wilhelm van der Sluys.

The 27-year-old joins from English giants Exeter Chiefs and provides much-needed experience in the absence of Franco Mostert and Andries Ferreira.

“We had to strengthen our depth in the lock department,” said De Bruin.

However, the side shouldn’t be lulled into the false sense of security because it, rather surprisingly, turns out Van der Sluys is merely going to replace Stephan Lewies, who was signed on loan from the Sharks at the end of last season.

Yet that loan isn’t for an extended period of time.

“One must remember that somebody like Stephan Lewies only signed with us for two months, after which he will go to England,” said De Bruin.

Lewies is slated to join Harlequins.

Van der Sluys will join the Lions only on March 1 – a day before their first home game against the Bulls – so at best he would probably only come into the selection fray for their fourth game against the Jaguares at Ellis Park on March 9.

https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-african-sport/sa-rugby-sport/super-rugby/2081453/it-turns-out-the-lions-lock-problem-hasnt-exactly-been-solved/

Seems Lewies is even more temporary than I thought :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 am 

Lions extended squad, SR squad still to be confirmed

Fullbacks: Andries Coetzee | Sylvian Mahuza | Gianni Lombard
Wings: Ruan Combrinck | Madosh Tambwe | Aphiwe Dyantyi | Courtnall Skosan | Tyrone Green
Centres: Harold Vorster | Lionel Mapoe | Wandisile Simelane | Manny Rass | Louritz van der Schyff
Flyhalves: Elton Jantjies | Shaun Reynolds
Scrumhalves: Ross Cronje | Dillon Smit | Nic Groom | Bradley Thain | Morné van den Berg
Loose forwards: Warren Whiteley | Kwagga Smith | Marnus Schoeman | Cyle Brink | Hacjivah Dayimani | Robert Kruger | Len Massyn | Diaan Schoonees | PJ Steenkamp
Locks: Marvin Orie | Rhyno Herbst | Ruan Vermaak | Stephan Lewies | Wilhelm van der Sluys
Tightheads: Johannes Jonker | Jacobie Adriaanse | Carlu Sadie | Cohen Kiewit
Hookers: Malcolm Marx | Jan-Henning Campher | Pieter Jansen
Looseheads: Dylan Smith | Sti Sithole | Danie Mienie | Nathan Macbeth

Inexperienced back-up in most positions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:55 am 

Jensrsa wrote:

Wings: Ruan Combrinck | Madosh Tambwe | Aphiwe Dyantyi | Courtnall Skosan | Tyrone Green
Centres: Harold Vorster | Lionel Mapoe | Wandisile Simelane | Manny Rass | Louritz van der Schyff
Scrumhalves: Ross Cronje | Dillon Smit | Nic Groom | Bradley Thain | Morné van den Berg
Loose forwards: Warren Whiteley | Kwagga Smith | Marnus Schoeman | Cyle Brink | Hacjivah Dayimani | Robert Kruger | Len Massyn | Diaan Schoonees | PJ Steenkamp
Locks: Marvin Orie | Rhyno Herbst | Ruan Vermaak | Stephan Lewies | Wilhelm van der Sluys

Good starting 15 and nice squad but with some injury a bit thin (on experience) at hooker, lock and flyhalf. At lock thin on depth as well.

Maybe need a player that can move between flank/lock.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 am 

beachboy wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Good starting 15 and nice squad but with some injury a bit thin (on experience) at hooker, lock and flyhalf. At lock thin on depth as well.

Maybe need a player that can move between flank/lock.

Ruan Vermaak can do 4, 5 and 7 afaik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm 

Quote:
Centre Franco Naudé will join the Lions on loan from the Bulls with immediate effect.

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/bulls-centre-joins-lions
Puzzling move with the Lions having a number of juniors who can play centre. Not as if Naude is experienced

Edit: I see he's bigger than the Lions youngsters. Maybe that's why

Height: 1,88 m
Weight: 102 kg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:14 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:

Has Andries put on a few kg's? Looked to be a little slower on Saturday...same with Combrink. Didn't look as sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Centre Franco Naudé will join the Lions on loan from the Bulls with immediate effect.

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/bulls-centre-joins-lions
Puzzling move with the Lions having a number of juniors who can play centre. Not as if Naude is experienced

Edit: I see he's bigger than the Lions youngsters. Maybe that's why

Height: 1,88 m
Weight: 102 kg

I hope they give Simelane a go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm 

Quote:
Long list of Lions departures now hitting home

South Africa’s dominant Super Rugby team of the last three years are in uncharted territory. They have lost two matches in a row to South African teams - the Stormers away and the Bulls at home - and are all of a sudden having to deal with a situation they haven’t experienced in years.

On top of that, they are having to come to terms with not having their inspirational captain, Warren Whiteley, around, again, and several other key squad members, too.

While Lions coach Swys de Bruin and his players regularly speak about a leadership group, involving several senior players, the team looked out of sorts when Whiteley left the field before halftime against the Stormers in Cape Town 10 days ago. This was again the case this past weekend when they appeared to be “lost” in suffering a 30-12 defeat by the Bulls at Ellis Park - a venue where before last Saturday they last lost to a SA team - the Stormers - in February 2015.

Whiteley will only be back in the next five to seven weeks once he has recovered from his pectoral muscle injury, so for now the Lions will continue to be led by hooker Malcolm Marx. But it’s not only Whiteley’s absence that has rocked the Lions the last two weeks, but the departure of several players from Johannesburg in the last few years. And those moves are now hitting home.

At the end of the 2017 season not only did then head coach Johan Ackermann leave the Lions, but his son, promising loose forward Ruan, joined him at Gloucester, while scrumhalf Faf de Klerk left for Sale.

Then, in the middle of last season’s Super Rugby campaign, it was the turn of Rohan Janse van Rensburg to say goodbye to the Lions (he joined De Klerk at Sale) and so, too, hooker Akker van der Merwe, who joined the Sharks.

The Lions still managed to play in the Super Rugby final, having finished the league campaign as their conference winners, which ensured home quarter and semi-finals. But they came unstuck in their third final in a row, this time, against the Crusaders in Christchurch. However, compared to the runs to the final in 2016 and 2017 when the Lions won 11 and 14 of 15 league games, last year they won nine.

Lions captain Warren Whiteley is sidelined with a pectoral muscle injury. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix
Lions captain Warren Whiteley is sidelined with a pectoral muscle injury. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix
This season the Lions have also had to soldier on without key forwards like Ruan Dreyer (Gloucester), Jacques van Rooyen (Bath), Jaco Kriel (Gloucester), Franco Mostert (Gloucester), Andries Ferreira (Hurricanes) and Corne Fourie (Stormers) - all experienced campaigners who played key parts in turning the Lions’ fortunes around in the last six years.

Also, let’s not forget that prop Julian Redelinghuys and flank Warwick Tecklenburg - first-choice players three years ago - retired from rugby in 2017. Centre Howard Mnisi has also moved on and isn’t a part of the Lions squad anymore, while key forwards, hooker Robbie Coetzee, and lock Lourens Erasmus, have long-term injuries.

The Lions weren’t able to pick experienced scrumhalf Ross Cronje and flank Cyle Brink at the start of the season - first-choice players on any day - while this past weekend the team were without lock Marvin Orie, who in his first two games of the season - against the Jaguares and Stormers - was his team’s most successful tackler and ball-winner in the lineouts.

The Lions still have a number of experienced operators - particularly in the backs - and some hugely talented youngsters coming through the ranks, but one has got wonder what effect losing so many accomplished professionals in recent times is now having on the three-time Super Rugby runners-up?

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/super-rugby/long-list-of-lions-departures-now-hitting-home-19639018

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 am 

Quote:
Lions need to stop ‘inspiring’ and start winning

Swys de Bruin and co need to stop their unbalanced view on the game before it’s too late.
There’s a memorable line in the Hollywood adaptation of Moneyball, the groundbreaking account of how baseball underdogs the Oakland A’s overcame a pitiful budget by using data to buy underrated players.

Needless to say, they were wildly successful in terms of results.

Early in the film, Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt) and his scouting team are in a serious discussion over how they’re going to replace their star first baseman, Jason Giambi.

“Is there another first baseman like Giambi?” Billy asks.

“No, not really,” one of the scouts answer timidly.

“And if there was, could we afford him?”

“No.”

“Then what the f**k are you talking about, man?!”

It’s actually an unbelievably poignant moment, one that neatly illustrates the then seemingly hopeless situation and Beane’s frustration.

That cracking line is very much applicable to the Lions at the moment, especially after last weekend’s beating at the hands of the Bulls.

To be honest though, it didn’t come up again until I read this quote from coach Swys de Bruin in the aftermath.

“I’ll always back the guys, win or lose, but we’re not playing to win or lose. We’re playing to score tries and two tries were simply not enough.”

It’s a statement that makes you want to cringe.

Context is important in this debate.

The Lions’ five-year journey to becoming South Africa’s leading Super Rugby franchise has been as much spiritual as it’s been rugby-related.

Coaches Johan Ackermann and De Bruin are both deeply religious and together with the union’s other leaders formulated a strategy whereby players aren’t only recruited in terms of their ability to adapt to the team’s attacking style of play, but also their personal values.

It’s worked brilliantly on both fronts … until now.

Yet while personal values are entrenched, rugby evolves.

De Bruin’s Lions are lagging behind because they’re still dreaming about their candy-flossy “vision” of scoring tries, tries and tries at the expense of common sense.

Don’t believe me?

12 July 2017: “We only play rugby for two reasons – to score tries and to inspire people.”

16 July 2018: “We want to play an exciting brand and to score tries. We (and the Crusaders) both have 77 tries‚ if we had one more it would have been great.”

No-one denies that the Lions’ adventure since 2013 has been endearing and inspiring.

But hell, this isn’t a bunch of underdogs anymore, a David trumping Goliaths weekly.

The Lions have reached three consecutive Super Rugby finals.

They’ve done remarkably well to keep their spine – think Warren Whiteley, Ross Cronje, Elton Jantjies, Courtnall Skosan, Lionel Mapoe, Kwagga Smith, Andries Coetzee and Ruan Combrinck – intact.

And they’ve contracted some of the best youth players in the local game.

Those are NOT the hallmarks of a team punching above its weight.

The Lions are a big union and big unions aim to win trophies.

One of the more flabbergasting aspects of De Bruin and his coaching staff’s philosophy is that they clearly have the capacity to adapt.

The opening weekend’s victory over the Jaguares was brilliantly conceived – one where flashy, crowd-pleasing rugby was sacrificed for winning rugby.

Super Rugby teams are gradually re-embracing the vintage Springbok model of a powerful pack of forwards, aggressive defence and a skillful backline capable of capitalising on opportunities when they are worth taking, NOT running willy-nilly from everywhere on the field.

It’s the way of the Crusaders.

The Bulls showed it at Ellis Park.

And the Brumbies trampled on the Chiefs championing that blueprint.

Just inspiring fans is no longer enough for the Lions.

They need to start playing winning rugby.

And anyone who says “winning isn’t everything” doesn’t deserve to complain about the Lions’ results.

https://citizen.co.za/sport/sport-columnists/2095737/lions-need-to-stop-inspiring-and-start-winning/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:21 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Lions need to stop ‘inspiring’ and start winning

Swys de Bruin and co need to stop their unbalanced view on the game before it’s too late.
There’s a memorable line in the Hollywood adaptation of Moneyball, the groundbreaking account of how baseball underdogs the Oakland A’s overcame a pitiful budget by using data to buy underrated players.

Needless to say, they were wildly successful in terms of results.

Early in the film, Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt) and his scouting team are in a serious discussion over how they’re going to replace their star first baseman, Jason Giambi.

“Is there another first baseman like Giambi?” Billy asks.

“No, not really,” one of the scouts answer timidly.

“And if there was, could we afford him?”

“No.”

It’s actually an unbelievably poignant moment, one that neatly illustrates the then seemingly hopeless situation and Beane’s frustration.

That cracking line is very much applicable to the Lions at the moment, especially after last weekend’s beating at the hands of the Bulls.

To be honest though, it didn’t come up again until I read this quote from coach Swys de Bruin in the aftermath.

“I’ll always back the guys, win or lose, but we’re not playing to win or lose. We’re playing to score tries and two tries were simply not enough.”

It’s a statement that makes you want to cringe.

Context is important in this debate.

The Lions’ five-year journey to becoming South Africa’s leading Super Rugby franchise has been as much spiritual as it’s been rugby-related.

Coaches Johan Ackermann and De Bruin are both deeply religious and together with the union’s other leaders formulated a strategy whereby players aren’t only recruited in terms of their ability to adapt to the team’s attacking style of play, but also their personal values.

It’s worked brilliantly on both fronts … until now.

Yet while personal values are entrenched, rugby evolves.

De Bruin’s Lions are lagging behind because they’re still dreaming about their candy-flossy “vision” of scoring tries, tries and tries at the expense of common sense.

Don’t believe me?

12 July 2017: “We only play rugby for two reasons – to score tries and to inspire people.”

16 July 2018: “We want to play an exciting brand and to score tries. We (and the Crusaders) both have 77 tries‚ if we had one more it would have been great.”

No-one denies that the Lions’ adventure since 2013 has been endearing and inspiring.

But hell, this isn’t a bunch of underdogs anymore, a David trumping Goliaths weekly.

The Lions have reached three consecutive Super Rugby finals.

They’ve done remarkably well to keep their spine – think Warren Whiteley, Ross Cronje, Elton Jantjies, Courtnall Skosan, Lionel Mapoe, Kwagga Smith, Andries Coetzee and Ruan Combrinck – intact.

And they’ve contracted some of the best youth players in the local game.

Those are NOT the hallmarks of a team punching above its weight.

The Lions are a big union and big unions aim to win trophies.

One of the more flabbergasting aspects of De Bruin and his coaching staff’s philosophy is that they clearly have the capacity to adapt.

The opening weekend’s victory over the Jaguares was brilliantly conceived – one where flashy, crowd-pleasing rugby was sacrificed for winning rugby.

Super Rugby teams are gradually re-embracing the vintage Springbok model of a powerful pack of forwards, aggressive defence and a skillful backline capable of capitalising on opportunities when they are worth taking, NOT running willy-nilly from everywhere on the field.

It’s the way of the Crusaders.

The Bulls showed it at Ellis Park.

And the Brumbies trampled on the Chiefs championing that blueprint.

Just inspiring fans is no longer enough for the Lions.

They need to start playing winning rugby.

And anyone who says “winning isn’t everything” doesn’t deserve to complain about the Lions’ results.

https://citizen.co.za/sport/sport-columnists/2095737/lions-need-to-stop-inspiring-and-start-winning/

Look at how full Bookends was under AC. No flash rugby, but they won at home more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 am 

Chilli wrote:
Look at how full Bookends was under AC. No flash rugby, but they won at home more often than not.

Swys is fixated on scoring tries to the exclusion of all else.

Playing a fast, lightweight backrow (Kwagga, Marnus and Hacjivah) didn't work against the Stormers and didn't work against the Bulls and the backs can only make plays and score when the forwards give them some decent frontfoot balls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm 

When Ackers left, I posted on here that I thought Swys was only good as assistant coach, not head coach.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:25 pm 

handyman wrote:
When Ackers left, I posted on here that I thought Swys was only good as assistant coach, not head coach.

So did Sards.........................makes me wonder about flouncing and multi's. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Swys is fixated on scoring tries to the exclusion of all else.

Playing a fast, lightweight backrow (Kwagga, Marnus and Hacjivah) didn't work against the Stormers and didn't work against the Bulls and the backs can only make plays and score when the forwards give them some decent frontfoot balls

Exactly. Lions need 2 big bashers upfront.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 pm 

Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:

So did Sards.........................makes me wonder about flouncing and multi's. :?:

Wonder away boet...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am 

Quote:
Swys de Bruin has signed a contract with SA Rugby which will see him travel with the Springboks to the Rugby World Cup in Japan later this year.

According to Netwerk24, the Lions mentor put pen to paper on Friday.

"I feel honoured that Rassie (Erasmus, Springbok coach) asked me to go to the World Cup. Attack will be my responsibility. It's a wonderful opportunity. I thank God for it," De Bruin said.

De Bruin was also part of the Springbok management team during the 2018 season.He remains the head coach of the Lions but is yet to extend his contract with the Johannesburg-franchise for the 2020 season.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/swys-signs-contract-with-boks-for-world-cup-20190311

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next