Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:11 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
The Governor General is a fantastic check on power. It is appointed by the government but has the power to dismiss a government but it has no executive powers.
It pretty much means, if a government is endangering the country, the GG can sent it back to the people for an election. If the GG is being power hungry and dismiss the government for no good reason then the people can re-elect the government who can comeback and give the GG the boot.

That would still essentially be the role a President would assume. All that would happen would be the title change and the writing out of the constitution of the Queen being the Head of State. Maybe the President will be adorned with that symbolic title as well. Nothing more. But in order to get there we'd likely have to spend something close to the current cost of a Federal Election to essentially tweak it. No thank you.

Who will elect the president?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 am 

I am going to hazard a guess at seperate elections

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:17 am 

maxbox wrote:

For a largely ceremonial position. God no. Would be a complete waste of money. Outside of a few tweaks there would be no reason whatever to change anything around how they are appointed. If they had to be elected let them be added to the process at a Federal Election.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:45 am 

maxbox wrote:

For a largely ceremonial position. God no. Would be a complete waste of money. Outside of a few tweaks there would be no reason whatever to change anything around how they are appointed. If they had to be elected let them be added to the process at a Federal Election.

But you can understand that it won't be exactly like the GG. The GG is almost forgotten about in the whole political process. A president will have a much bigger public profile and the public would want to have a say on who it is. Do candidates campaign for it? If they do, they'd certainly have an agenda leading to political interference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:25 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
maxbox wrote:

But you can understand that it won't be exactly like the GG. The GG is almost forgotten about in the whole political process. A president will have a much bigger public profile and the public would want to have a say on who it is. Do candidates campaign for it? If they do, they'd certainly have an agenda leading to political interference.

Why would they have a larger role? Why would you replace a largely symbolic role with something different? Adds another rubbish element to an already over bloated political system. We already have a PM and an elected Parliament there's no need to a President. Not every model needs to afford them any actual power.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Tonga use to have a monarchy with absolute power. After years of campaigning for change plus demonstrations and a riot we changed to a more democratic Constitutional Monarchy. It turns out the Democratic government is more corrupt now some people including myself want the King to have absolute power again.

You sound like Pesi Fonua and his royalist biased matangi tonga. The King has dissolved parliament once already, but Akilisi Pohiva's government was returned with an even bigger majority in the ensuing election :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:08 am 

Auckman wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Tonga use to have a monarchy with absolute power. After years of campaigning for change plus demonstrations and a riot we changed to a more democratic Constitutional Monarchy. It turns out the Democratic government is more corrupt now some people including myself want the King to have absolute power again.

You sound like Pesi Fonua and his royalist biased matangi tonga. The King has dissolved parliament once already, but Akilisi Pohiva's government was returned with an even bigger majority in the ensuing election :lol:

Not biased, what is happening in Tonga has to be seen to be believed. Pohiva is pretty much trying to sell Tonga to China. He's allowed free entry to Tonga for Chinese citizens and have been trying to lease big parcels of land to the Chinese but is fortfeited by the King.
Pohiva used deported criminals and drug dealers to organise the riot which burned down the capital 12 yrs ago. These crims were jailed and now they're out and are pressuring Pohiva to reward them. At first I think he wasn't quick enough in rewarding them so they burned down his house and his son's house. Now, it's almost free for all for his supporters. He's quickly sacking top government employees to make way for his supporters including his children. He's running the government mafia style. He appointed a supporter, who owed hundreds of thousands to the Ports authority, to the cabinet. This guy took charge of the Ports and wiped his debt clean. In the last financial year alone $74m has gone unaccounted for.
Pohiva did some good things but he ran his political career by spread lies about the king and his opponents. Usually, he'd get sued then he asks for forgiveness then that will be that. However, in recent years he's been sued for hundreds of thousands for defamation and he just pays it off. We're now suspecting that there's Chinese money behind him. Which explains his selling of Tonga to the Chinese.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 am 

True Blue wrote:
Christ, am sick of hearing about these people. The fawning worship of the "royal" family some people have always baffles me. I cannot wait to become a republic after the old bag croaks.

I agree. Have absolutely no interest in any of them. But I'm not baying for the opportunity to form a Republic. Primarily due to the cost of holding the necessary referendum in order to to do. I was against the Marriage Equality Postal Survey last year because I thought it was an expensive boondoggle devised to appease the knuckledraggers in the Coalition (who largely ignored it anyway in the voting on the matter) and should have been taken care of in Parliament itself. That was $120m pissed down the drain to confirm what at least a dozen polls had been declaring for some time.

A referendum would be significantly more expensive and you have to really weigh it up. What would be most cost effective. A Republic or having to foot the bill for the odd visit from the 'Royals'.

The thing is, it seems half the republics go more gaga for the Royals than anybody who they reign over. Even for their fans, nobody worships them, they are a celebrity hobbie like any other, but just with a bit more status, like Beyonce.