Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Global Rapid Rugby
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:43 am 

27-15 FT..

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:48 pm 

So how was it? Good game?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 pm 

Sinkers wrote:
So how was it? Good game?

Yeah, it was. Not quite the dazzling, edge-of-the-seat, last quarter finish of last week's game between Latui and Kagifa.

The Force are a better defensive side than Kagifa Samoa (not unexpected given the respective number of games together for each side). So the Fijians weren't cutting the field open as often and forced into a few more errors.

It was still 3 tries apiece though. Force, while somewhat better in the scrums, don't quite have the offloading game of Fiji, but two yellow cards near the end of each half were costly for Latui, and they let in tries while down a man.

No converted goals for Fijian Latui, however, and the Force kicked theirs (and two pens to boot) to have the result in hand for most of the game

2nd round of the showcase and some good rugby. Decent crowd too, maybe 6,500+ :thumbup:

Last edited by kiap on Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:16 pm 

kiap wrote:
Sinkers wrote:
Haven’t a clue about that Fiji squad - has beens and journeymen or young up and comers or mixture of both?

I’d have the Same question re the Samoa squad I guess

I have my opinion but will invite the Fijian posters to answer first. Ditto Samoa

To answer this earlier question ... from my POV, Latui are mainly up-and-comers, with a few older hands guiding them round the park.

• They are based on the Fiji Warriors (their national A team) which plays in the Pacific Challenge and is a similar squad to the Fijian Drua which played (and won) the National Rugby Championship (the current semi-pro club/provincial tier of Australia).

• Essentially they're the best Fijian players based in Fiji (i.e. not including guys contracted in Europe/Japan etc.)

Kagifa Samoa are a bit different. Yes they do have some up-and-coming Samoan-based players, but they're not the majority of the squad. The team is based in NZ north island and also includes NZ-based players (Kiwis, Samoans, Tongans and even Fijians). Also a couple of Aussie-Samoans.

• It's more of a club model (à la APDs or Force) rather than a national union model (Tigers, Latui).

• Still a competitive side, though - and I reckon they might be hard to beat in Pukekohe, NZ in a few weeks

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:37 pm 

kiap wrote:
kiap wrote:
Sinkers wrote:
Haven’t a clue about that Fiji squad - has beens and journeymen or young up and comers or mixture of both?

I’d have the Same question re the Samoa squad I guess

I have my opinion but will invite the Fijian posters to answer first. Ditto Samoa

To answer this earlier question ... from my POV, Latui are mainly up-and-comers, with a few older hands guiding them round the park.

• They are based on the Fiji Warriors (their national A team) which plays in the Pacific Challenge and is a similar squad to the Fijian Drua which played (and won) the National Rugby Championship (the current semi-pro club/provincial tier of Australia).

• Essentially they're the best Fijian players based in Fiji (i.e. not including guys contracted in Europe/Japan etc.)

Kagifa Samoa are a bit different. Yes they do have some up-and-coming Samoan-based players, but they're not the majority of the squad. The team is based in NZ north island and also includes NZ-based players (Kiwis, Samoans, Tongans and even Fijians). Also a couple of Aussie-Samoans.

• It's more of a club model (à la APDs or Force) rather than a national union model (Tigers, Latui).

• Still a competitive side, though - and I reckon they might be hard to beat in Pukekohe, NZ in a few weeks

What happens to any bolters in the forces playing roster in terms of wallaby selection? Do they ahve to be poached by a Ozzie super side in order to qualify for the wobblies?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:57 pm 

In theory, players can be selected from the Force.

Rod Davies got a call up to the oz 7s team a month or so back.

The Rebels inherited most of the WF test players tho. So this will be less of a question in 2019 than in future I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 pm 

Has there been any longterm viability established? Is it all paying for itself?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:34 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
Is it all paying for itself?

You're asking this after 9 games? But the answer is easy - no.

Things to do today so I'll make this quick. After sponsorships and what punters pay watching on screen or through the gate, most rugby comps are then paid for in one of two ways:

• by rugby unions, or
  • by the owners

For Super Rugby it's the former. The comp is ultimately subsidised by test rugby revenue. In the case of Rapid Rugby, it's the latter with Forrest and others paying the balance.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 am 

kiap wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
Is it all paying for itself?

You're asking this after 9 games? But the answer is easy - no.

Things to do today so I'll make this quick. After sponsorships and what punters pay watching on screen or through the gate, most rugby comps are then paid for in one of two ways:

• by rugby unions, or
  • by the owners

For Super Rugby it's the former. The comp is ultimately subsidised by test rugby revenue. In the case of Rapid Rugby, it's the latter with Forrest and others paying the balance.

Hopefully it can survive, and grow.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 am 

I forgot where it was at, I thought it started last year.

The plaything of wealthy owners is fine by me, I'd figured so long as it wasn't Forrest alone in dumping endless cash into it. Presumably a near enough to break-even goal for all involved would be good enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
I forgot where it was at, I thought it started last year.

I hasnt even started this year, really. It's a cut-back series with, like, 4 games per side.

In 2018, none of this year's teams existed except the Force, who played exhibition matches with:

• Panasonic, Rebels A and Crusaders A
  • Hong Kong, Tonga A, Fiji A and Samoa A

sonic_attack wrote:
The plaything of wealthy owners is fine by me, I'd figured so long as it wasn't Forrest alone in dumping endless cash into it. Presumably a near enough to break-even goal for all involved would be good enough.

Yeah, he's aiming to have this comp generate actual revenue, for sure.

Break even (i.e. Forrest and others not putting money in) is another level ... and IMO it's likely the wealthy owners will still be needed for it to be ongoing. But that's only my armchair opinion.

To be sustainable those costs need to be contained, obviously. Which I think can be achieved.

If you look at the model in, say, France (or even Japan with company teams) that's how it happens.

Harden up!!! wrote:
Hopefully it can survive, and grow.

Yep. I think it's needed for this part of the world.

We are getting eaten away by Europe, year on year.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 am 

If I may be so bold, the very best thing that this competition can achieve in the short run is an education in the realities of rugby politics for Twiggy. And the possibility that he can build some relationships in the game world wide, and particularly in Dublin.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:33 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
the realities of rugby politics

tell us more

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 am 

The kiss of death for rugby in WA could deliver Australia's next 'golden generation' of Wallabies
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-28/n ... e/11103338

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:10 am 

Zac Guildford in the Kagifa Samoa squad this weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 am 

Sinkers wrote:

Well spotted! :thumbup: Talented guy - hopefully he's in the right frame to do what he does best.

Game fred here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90377

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am 

kiap wrote:
Sinkers wrote:

Well spotted! :thumbup: Talented guy - hopefully he's in the right frame to do what he does best.

Game fred here:

Get naked, get drunk and fight with random people? :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:13 am 

comets wrote:

:lol: That too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:59 am 

comets wrote:
kiap wrote:
Sinkers wrote:

Game fred here:

I know people who still call him trader jacks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 am 

Sinkers wrote:
Situation in Singapore?
- ok from an age grade and youth perspective. Under 19s going well, some new school and junior club additions,

- but there’s little shoots of growth at the junior and grass roots level at least

Sinkers, do you know anything about a Singapore team called "Oldham"? A junior-high age team touring in Perth, although not sure if it's a school or a club.

A poster from TWF forum was impressed with their game here. They play rugby all year round? Apparently played against Hale School U14 and then Southern Lions U14 club side earlier this week:

Anyway, the Oldham forwards held their own against the Hale forwards, but the smaller Oldham backs eventually could not hold out the bigger Hale backs as the game wore on. The cold wet weather was a problem for the Oldham boys as well I think. Still a solid and very impressive effort by Oldham, considering that Hale U14 are unbeaten against the other Perth private schools so far this year ... The whole side and all the coaches were Asians, so rugby is alive and looks like it is growing in Singapore. The coach was enthusiastic about GRR and had been to the games in Singapore.

Hale has a fairly good rugby program. Not saying their U14 team are stars but the school has produced some old boys who went on to become pro players.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:36 am 

So this might be a bit of a long and convoluted answer:
Traditionally oldham is the old boys team for Anglo Chinese school (ACSI) here. Acsi are national schools finalists every year and often winners across most age grades.

What oldham will also do recently is bring together squads from across the top four or five local schools for tours or for friendlies against touring overseas schools. Recent development and a good thing.

At those schools they’ll train all year, have a national schools league somewhere in the middle and then just fit in tours, local 7s tournies etc through the rest of the year.

They also now run an U17 squad in our national junior club league who are plate finalists (today) in their first season and an U19 squad in the national senior club development league. Same basis - mainly local boys from the active rugby schools.

So they should be a good side but maybe a bit scratch for tours. And they are growing their roster and developing new playing opportunities quite well. So it’s good to see them doing well - as the article mentioned they’re all local boys and coaches.

My son has played for them in invitationals against touring schools and will be joining their U19 club squad next season. Couldn’t join their U17 squad this year due to some bollox league transfer rules.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:40 am 

Sinkers wrote:
So this might be a bit of a long and convoluted answer:

:thumbup: Appreciate it

Looks like they're going about their rugby in a good way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 am 

Video here on some Singapore feedback on Rapid Rugby in Singapore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngnQDWT ... e=youtu.be

---
In other news, it looks like Malaysia Valke will be the team to play the Force in the final Showcase match of 2019.

Friday 9 August @ 6:30 pm (the night before the Bledisloe)

Dunno much about the Malaysian side but they have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Malaysiarapidrugby/

I suppose their line up will be based largely on the South African provincial squad, but hopefully with some Malaysian players in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 am 

Nice Right?
Jason was so chuffed getting that gig doing a bit of filming with GRR that he even put on a clean shirt. First time I've seen him without last night's curry all down the front.

You probably know from the video but he also runs this: https://www.facebook.com/rugbyloversguideasia/ and does a lot of work filming tournaments and rugby stuff around the region.

He's also doing this Singapore to Tokyo Cycle in the lead up to the world cup: https://www.facebook.com/Singapore-to-Tokyo-20I9-World-Cup-Cycle-401090260632316/. Proceeds going to 4 foundations around Thailand and Cambodia that work with at-risk kids through rugby.

Both well worth a look and a like. When he gets his GoFundMe sorted out for the ride I might post it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:30 am 

:lol: Top bloke!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:15 am 

Little update(s):

- Force playing the new Malaysia Valke on Friday evening? So one new team added by the look of it.
- A mate is working on the legal side of setting up a new GRR team based in Taiwan. It seems to be quite far along, so hopefully another new team for next season.
- strong rumours that Singapore will lose the AP Dragons to Dubai. Not sure if true, if they'll stay in the comp etc. But very (but unfortunately typically) disappointing for Sinky rugby if true.

Edit: ooops - bit late on the Valke match on Friday I see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am 

Sinkers wrote:
Little update(s):

- Force playing the new Malaysia Valke on Friday evening? So one new team added by the look of it.
- A mate is working on the legal side of setting up a new GRR team based in Taiwan. It seems to be quite far along, so hopefully another new team for next season.
- strong rumours that Singapore will lose the AP Dragons to Dubai. Not sure if true, if they'll stay in the comp etc. But very (but unfortunately typically) disappointing for Sinky rugby if true.

Edit: ooops - bit late on the Valke match on Friday I see.

Why would Singapore let that happen? Dubai is in the wrong time zone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:28 pm 

Let it happen? It seems a general lack of support from the union is the cause for it happening.

A lack of any gumption, energy or general ability to make things happen would be typical of the union. But these are only rumours at the moment and like anywhere there are plenty of negative tossers around who love a moan and to give the union a kick.

If it does happen I'd be pretty disappointed in both sides that after what amounted to a half season of a new comp, they couldn't sit down and work out what they both could to do better for next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7