Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798 ... 879  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:46 pm 

SamShark wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
What we should not be doing is crying that democracy is broken just because we don't agree with how the voters voted.

What's your definition of democracy though? I think it has been trashed.

Whether they believed it or not, millions of people were told Brexit was easy, we held all the cards and once decided we'd get what we want and leave. Unsurprisingly when that didn't happen people are pissed off.

The 48% were basically told they don't matter. Unsurprisingly people are pissed off.

Very well known people have spent 3 years saying that politicians, and more worryingly the likes of judges civil servants are traitors.

The referendum was characterised by lies, breaking electoral law, misuse of data and likely foreign interference.

The media is more partisan than ever.

And unfortunately the population is utterly divided and mistrusting of each other.

But your way of telling this story is that it's just a few remainers pissed off because they are so intolerant of other opinions?

I think it will take many years to recover.

Whether what you have said is true or not is irrelevant if the majority of voters don't accept that it is true.

Progressives can to a person believe that the above is 100% true but if the majority of voters don't accept it then it doesn't matter.

All that matters is the votes.

I don't think I'm making a "progressive" point here.

Do you think "non progressives" - whatever that would mean - think democracy is in good nick/have high trust in institutions?

I think that's quite a niche view.

No but they trust Farage. That is whole point of democracy. If they don't trust the institutions they can vote for someone they do trust

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:47 pm 

Quote:
No but they trust Farage. That is whole point of democracy. If they don't trust the institutions they can vote for someone they do trus

Do you trust Farage?

It's going to be quite a big question over the coming months, particularly if he gets a hell of a lot of votes tonight.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:48 pm 

The point I have been trying to make it that progressives/remainers whatever you want to call the block of people/politicians appear to have forgotten that being right is not what is important it is being liked and getting the most votes that is what is important.

The progressives/remainers seem to have concentrated on the former whilst forgetting the latter.

Last edited by mdaclarke on Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm 

SamShark wrote:
Quote:
No but they trust Farage. That is whole point of democracy. If they don't trust the institutions they can vote for someone they do trus

Do you trust Farage?

It's going to be quite a big question over the coming months, particularly if he gets a hell of a lot of votes tonight.

I trust him more than Corbyn and May and Cable.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
The point I have been trying to make it that progressives/remainers whatever you want to call the block of people/politicians appear to have forgotten that being right is not what is important it is being liked and getting the most votes that is what is important.

The progressives/remainers seem to have concentrated on the former whilst forgetting the latter.

Well, fine, but advocating populism will surely end in tears in the long run.

When you take power you have to be right, particularly with foreign affairs.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
EverReady wrote:
That is the lie that I don't understand some in the UK keep peddling.

The Leave campaign lied repeatedly and knowlingly: yes
The Leave campaign funding was shady as fùck: yes
The Leaving process is a nightmare and we are getting fùcked: yes, yes we are
In light of all this the vote must be respected: YEEEEEEESSSSSS

It is crazed. Tbf I remember reading that the Brits ruling class had a stupid fatalism brought about by lessons of empire and afternoons having custard funneled up their bums by the head boys. Turns out he was right.

It doesn't matter whether or not you consider that the vote should be respected so long as the majority of voters think it should be respected.

We didn’t know all the above at the time. The way to find out if a majority of voters think the original vote should be respected in the light of the above is of course to consult them.

Where Farage and the Lib Dem’s may be united is in the area of PR. Having a rubbish version of it presented as a referendum question may have been the Lib Dem’s biggest mistake. The DUP leveraging has been far more effective.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 pm 

SamShark wrote:
Quote:

Do you trust Farage?

He’s a single issue politician, if we’d left the union on the 29th of March he wouldn’t be around.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm 

shereblue wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
EverReady wrote:

It is crazed. Tbf I remember reading that the Brits ruling class had a stupid fatalism brought about by lessons of empire and afternoons having custard funneled up their bums by the head boys. Turns out he was right.

It doesn't matter whether or not you consider that the vote should be respected so long as the majority of voters think it should be respected.

We didn’t know all the above at the time. The way to find out if a majority of voters think the original vote should be respected in the light of the above is of course to consult them.

Where Farage and the Lib Dem’s may be united is in the area of PR. Having a rubbish version of it presented as a referendum question may have been the Lib Dem’s biggest mistake. The DUP leveraging has been far more effective.

We didn’t know our politicians would basically refuse to enact the result, that’s not a reason to say “we didn’t know what would happen” it’s a shit point.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm 

There are certain things that become legitimised over time.

Once just mentioning "referendum" was frowned upon, now it's mainsream.

"Revoke" became something that could be debated.

More and more people are raising the idea of a "no deal vs remain" referendum.

That would be f**king scary, but the more people talk about it the more it becomes possible.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:57 pm 

SamShark wrote:

That would be f**king scary, but the more people talk about it the more it becomes possible.

If there can’t be a deal struck and everyone is sure that people voted for a deal why not ask that question.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:58 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Politicians lie all the time. If our elections were going to be voided because people told lies or had no way or intention of fulfilling their promises we would be having elections every day. I'm sure there were many people who voted remain purely because they were scared into doing so by the lies told by the PM the Chancellor and the governor of the BoE about what would happen immediately after a leave vote. Remember these were the people who were in power and could actually act on their promises.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:59 pm 

bimboman wrote:
SamShark wrote:

If there can’t be a deal struck and everyone is sure that people voted for a deal why not ask that question.

Why not indeed - it would be a tough job to explain what no deal means though. It's a hard date for exit with no further debate, but what is permitted in the run up to the date and then in the aftermath.

Does it have to be permanent WTO? Obviously not, but what is it?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:01 pm 

shereblue wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
EverReady wrote:

That's because the DUP just came looking fo rmoney. The Tories don't give a shit about funnelling money to the DUP; it's not like it's their money !

PR on the other hand threatened the duopoly that the Tories, & Labour have rigged for themselves; & that the Tories would feel.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:01 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Politicians lie all the time. If our elections were going to be voided because people told lies or had no way or intention of fulfilling their promises we would be having elections every day. I'm sure there were many people who voted remain purely because they were scared into doing so by the lies told by the PM the Chancellor and the governor of the BoE about what would happen immediately after a leave vote. Remember these were the people who were in power and could actually act on their promises.

You aren't voiding an election. You are very bad at referendums

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Yep. It's not like the fibs were unchallenged during the referendum campaign either. People still voted regardless.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I suspect a decent tranche of Remain voters were, to some extent at least, influenced by the uncertainties of a leave outcome, as predicted by some Remain campaigners. There have been many predictions though by Leavers too. Just one example would be of the Armageddon implosion of the EU.
That is politics. What is not politics is lying. The bus. The disgraceful Mordaunt Turkey lie that some entrenched Leavers seem to believe to this day. There should, IMO, be far greater comeback accorded to lying - or reckless misstatement. The saying that a lie can travel halfway round the world before it is corrected shows contempt for consumers or electors etc

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:36 pm 

Out of curiosity why does it always take NI the longest to count votes?
Is it cause our civil servants are the laziest f**kers going and extending their overtime by pissing about all day?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:38 pm 

SamShark wrote:
bimboman wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Why not indeed - it would be a tough job to explain what no deal means though. It's a hard date for exit with no further debate, but what is permitted in the run up to the date and then in the aftermath.

I think we are heading for a No Deal v Remain referendum

and if the Remain side don't get a lot better at remembering the basics of being politicians then we are looking at no deal.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 pm 

SamShark wrote:
bimboman wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Oh, another choice that we’re not allowed to make because some people wilfully want to confuse the choice they don’t want.

Here’s a question can you explain what remain means? more of the same or will we be joining an EU army soon? Where will defence and foreign policy be made if we do?

Will we be joining the Euro, will we have to take ECB direction to protect the Euro if asked?

Will we ever make trade deals with Africa that benefit both parties? Will be be able to influence tarif that suit British products ?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm 

shereblue wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I suspect a decent tranche of Remain voters were, to some extent at least, influenced by the uncertainties of a leave outcome, as predicted by some Remain campaigners. There have been many predictions though by Leavers too. Just one example would be of the Armageddon implosion of the EU.
That is politics. What is not politics is lying. The bus. The disgraceful Mordaunt Turkey lie that some entrenched Leavers seem to believe to this day. There should, IMO, be far greater comeback accorded to lying - or reckless misstatement. The saying that a lie can travel halfway round the world before it is corrected shows contempt for consumers or electors etc

Like I said. The Prime Minister Lied. The Chancellor Lied and the governor of the BoE Lied. They didn't get it wrong they told bare faced lies.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:54 pm 

You're hard work Bimbo.

Quote:
Oh, another choice that we’re not allowed to make because some people wilfully want to confuse the choice they don’t want.

Explain no deal. What is it?

I've acknowledged that it's a hard date with no extentions or debate as to whether we leave.

Is that it?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:59 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
EverReady wrote:

:thumbup: put much better than I have.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:01 pm 

SamShark wrote:
You're hard work Bimbo.

Quote:

Explain no deal. What is it?

I've acknowledged that it's a hard date with no extentions or debate as to whether we leave.

Is that it?

Start WTO , and go from there .... that’s it. It’s 2019, the world is computerised, everybody in the world exports to the UK, it’ll start with MRA’s then move on.

60% of our trade is currently outside of the EU, it’ll be like that.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:28 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Out of curiosity why does it always take NI the longest to count votes?
Is it cause our civil servants are the laziest f**kers going and extending their overtime by pissing about all day?

STV takes a long time to count, so better to start in the morning and work all the day through, rather than midnight and have dozy ennumerators getting preferences wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:30 pm 

Computerised trade. Easy. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:31 pm 

This is my anecdotal interpretation of my Twitter feed not fact, but the exit polls across Europe don't seem to be showing any right wing surge.

Very welcome if true.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:32 pm 

SamShark wrote:
This is my anecdotal interpretation of my Twitter feed not fact, but the exit polls across Europe don't seem to be showing any right wing surge.

Very welcome if true.

Greens seem to be surging in Germany.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Britain Elects

Our forecast for this year's UK European elections has...

Brex: 24 MEPs (+24 vs 2014)
LDem: 15 (+14)
Lab: 14 (-6)
Con: 10 (-9)
Grn: 4 (+1)
SNP: 2 (-)
PC: 1 (-)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm 

SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Britain Elects

Brexit party with 35% of the vote then on their estimate.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Britain Elects

Dunno if that's how it works re %

Brexit party was always likely to win the most seats as it's taken out UKIP and anger at Tories.

I think they would still win substantially most seats with less than 30

Last edited by SamShark on Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 pm 

SamShark wrote:

Very welcome if true.

Apart from France of course.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Britain Elects

Not bad for a party that has only existed for 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Very welcome if true.

Le Pen's mob tipped to get most votes?

Perhaps not a surge, as would this have been the case last time?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:40 pm 

SamShark wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Britain Elects

Dunno if that's how it works re %

Brexit party was always likely to win the most seats as it's taken out UKIP and anger at Tories.

I think they would still win substantially most seats with less than 30

Labour and Cons have the same MPs as brexit party ... or still got 35% combined.

What the actual fudge?!

They can do ALL THIS and still get 35% combined. Fyuck is wrong with people?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm 

SamShark wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Very welcome if true.

Le Pen's mob tipped to get most votes?

Perhaps not a surge, as would this have been the case last time?

Marine Le Pen’s far-right National Rally party is estimated to have topped the European election vote in France, dealing a blow to the pro-European, centrist president Emmanuel Macron.

A projection for France 2 television, based on exit polls, showed Le Pen’s party coming first with 23.2%, ahead of Macron’s centrist grouping on 21.9%.

If confirmed, the result is symbolically damaging to Macron because he put himself centre-stage of a bruising and personal election campaign, styling himself as a champion for Europe and defining the vote as an existential fight between pro-Europe progressives and eurosceptic, far-right nationalists.

The vote was the first mid-term test for Macron and his new centrist party, after six months of yellow-vest anti-government protests saw riots, death and injuries across France. Le Pen had said repeatedly that if her party beat Macron, he should resign.

France had an unexpectedly high turnout estimated to be over 50% - the highest in decades – and higher than the last parliamentary elections.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Britain Elects

31.6%, unless I'm reading it wrong

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:43 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Some of you guys must spend a lot of time in the company of unpleasant people. Where I work,and amongst my friends, there is overall acceptance of peoples politics (wide variation) and voting intentions.
I wish I could share some anecdotes, but I cannot.

:lol: , I had this thought whilst looking at an insistence yesterday from a poster that people “shared” my politics. I’ve actually no idea of either persons voting records , intentions or politics, one I drink with and the other is a good family friend and we do “schools” , unis, sport, and many other subjects.

Quite - I assume I know how my friends vote but politics has never really been discussed until brexit and that is only by a few people willing to nail their colours to the mast.

(I just did 24/70 as per what’s given by Britain elects.)

SamShark wrote:

Very welcome if true.

Apart from the Brexit Party and Farage...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm 

c69 wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Very welcome if true.

Apart from the Brexit Party and Farage...

I suppose again, you could argue it is a repetition of last time when UKIP got the most seats, unless BP smash it and get loads more

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798 ... 879  Next