Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1243  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:09 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Can you lot not see that Europe is just leading you on? - they don't want a deal; they just want you to piss off.

Feck me tbh, you will ould have done better than the lazy right wing twats we had as negotiators

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:31 pm 

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelect ... 7278586880

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm 

Tin-Tin trolls Bim(sorry) Brexiteers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tan-otoole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 pm 

Who could've predicted it was such an awful, awful idea to Brexit?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
There’s been a shift in the Tory media towards backing May in the past few days - they know it’s this deal or “no brexit at all”

Good Lord

Silliest post ever made

Or have I been whooshed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm 

c69 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Can you lot not see that Europe is just leading you on? - they don't want a deal; they just want you to piss off.

Feck me tbh, you will ould have done better than the lazy right wing twats we had as negotiators

Is there any actually evidence anyone could have done better? This deal as it is is very similar to what Labour proposed should be the deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

The issue is agreement on what the deal should be and what makes a good deal or not. WHich all seems opinion. We've noting yet if Brexit is good or bad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

The issue is agreement on what the deal should be and what makes a good deal or not. WHich all seems opinion. We've noting yet if Brexit is good or bad.

Brexit was a shit idea and still is. Sorry, believe in what you want, believe in your unicorns and sunny uplands, just don't expect other people to go along with those fantasies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Oh mate. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 am 

easyray wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Brexit was a shit idea and still is. Sorry, believe in what you want, believe in your unicorns and sunny uplands, just don't expect other people to go along with those fantasies.

Look, it may all be fine.

Perhaps a no-deal withdrawal will be averted at the last minute.

Perhaps GB still has the weight it carried 40 years ago.

Perhaps there are a host of other Nations queueing up to offer the UK favourable terms without trying to shaft you.

It just seems rather unlikely.

And anyway, why take the risk?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:03 am 

Raab putting the boot into May and calls the PM a spineless bitch.
What an utter cluster feck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:48 pm 

c69 wrote:
Raab putting the boot into May and calls the PM a spineless bitch.
What an utter cluster feck.

More interested in positioning himself as potential next Tory leader rather than what happens with Brexit. Albeit he’s not alone in that behaviour; Leadsom, Johnson, Gove, Davies - the list goes on and on....

The ‘boys in front of the bus brigade’. Not one of them has done anything constructive to get a deal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm 

I'll just leave this here :

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am 

Quote:
Tom Newton Dunn

@tnewtondunn

Excl: Brexiteers still at least 6 MPs short of triggering confidence vote in PM - 48 needed, but only 42 assurances given to ERG (25 publicly, 17 in private). And that’s only if all telling the truth...https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/77 ... ence-vote/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am 

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/111 ... n-barnier/

Quote:
The Brexit transition period could be extended by two years under proposals suggested by the European Union's chief negotiator Michel Barnier, it has been reported.

He is said to have proposed the extension in order to give more time for the UK to strike a full trade deal with the EU.

It would also give diplomats more time to find a means of avoiding a hard border in Ireland and avoid the use of the backstop.

Under the draft withdrawal agreement published last week, the transition period would begin when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 and run until 31 December 2020.

During the transition, EU law will continue to apply in the UK, which will continue to participate in the customs union and the single market.

There is a one-off option for the UK to seek an extension of the transition if negotiations on the future relationship are still continuing.

According to the Financial Times, Mr Barnier told EU ambassadors in a diplomatic note that the transition period could be extended until as late as December 2022.

During the extended period, the UK could have to continue to allow the free movement of people from the EU and keep making large payments to Brussels.

In October, British Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed she was ready to consider a delay of "a matter of months" in the UK’s final departure from the EU in order to avoid a hard border in Ireland.

She had previously said she did not expect any extension of the transition period to be needed, because she hoped to conclude a deal on the UK's future trade and security relationship with the EU by its scheduled end-date of December 2020.

In his reported communique, Mr Barnier is said to have noted that the political situation in Westminster is "volatile".

Any extension to the transition period would be mutually agreed between the UK and the EU.

At Westminster, Brexit supporters could view extending the period as a concession to Brussels.

Meanwhile, Mrs May could also face criticism of failing to overcome the final barriers to sealing a full trade deal with the EU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:33 am 

Oh and some very welcome support for May I'm sure:

https://news.sky.com/story/danny-dyer-d ... e-11557431

Quote:
Danny Dyer has expressed sympathy with Theresa May as he launched a furious attack on her critics.

The EastEnders star, whose political views came to prominence during a TV row about former prime minister David Cameron, intervened in a critical week on Brexit.

He slammed ex-foreign secretary Boris Johnson for his "stupid haircut" and branded UKIP's Nigel Farage "another p***k in a suit".

"Theresa May, bless her, just got that job by default," Dyer told The Big Issue magazine.

"Boris Johnson running around with his stupid haircut spouting b******s.

"Young people look and think: 'If these are the people running the country, why shouldn't I go and loot and riot?'"

He continued: "They just don't give a f***. This us against them-type vibe has got worse.

"We are living in an age of food banks. How the f*** did that happen? Seriously."

Dyer turned his fire on Mr Cameron over his decision to call the 2016 EU referendum. The UK voted to leave by 51.9% to 48.1%.

"[Politicians] are floundering around. They have been given this thing called f****** Brexit because of one man.

"One man. Who we voted in to be our prime minister, who purely for his own ego decided to call a referendum just to get rid of Nigel Farage.

"Farage, another p***k in a suit who tapped into something - and I suppose it is that white working-class, middle-age man who lost his voice slightly.

"He tapped into what he felt maybe they wanted to say and twisted it. He got a bit of a following, so Cameron decided to call a referendum just to get him."

Dyer called Mr Cameron a posh "t**t" and said after losing the referendum, he "f***s off".

"Well, f*** you, Cameron you posh t**t. Sorry. It backfired on him didn't it? And what does he do? He f**** off. He doesn't like the way it went and he f***** off."

Danny Dyer, 41, plays Mick Carter in the popular BBC One soap.

His intervention comes amid a crucial week for Mrs May, who faces the threat of a confidence vote if enough MPs call for her to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am 

easyray wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't believe in unicorns but given we are fairly close and the economy is strong, investment is strong, record employment levels and the fact just about every prediction so far form 'the experts' has not come to pass suggests what I have claimed all alone not much will change. All that coupled with the fact Europes strongest economies are not in the EU (Norway, Switzerland) all suggest there is still a good life outside the EU.

I'm afraid it it was supposed to be a disaster then the trends would be showing it. That is not to say there won't be some short term turbulence, but it can be off-set by the medium and long term greater flexibility in business.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am 

John Oliver's Brexit update

https://youtu.be/0Ypv1Ll22uM?t=212

My favourite part was the radio interview with Rory Stewart

Quote:
Stewart: The reason why 80% of the British public support this deal is because of what it does...

Interviewer: 80% of the British public support this deal? The draft deal? How on earth do we know that yet?

Stewart: Okay, okay... let me... let me back up on that...

Interviewer: Where did 80% come from? I'm a bit confused.

Stewart: I'm... I'm producing a number to try to illustrate what I believe...

This is what happens when post-truth and feel-facts enter the political mainstream.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
easyray wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't believe in unicorns but given we are fairly close and the economy is strong, investment is strong, record employment levels and the fact just about every prediction so far form 'the experts' has not come to pass suggests what I have claimed all alone not much will change. All that coupled with the fact Europes strongest economies are not in the EU (Norway, Switzerland) all suggest there is still a good life outside the EU.

I'm afraid it it was supposed to be a disaster then the trends would be showing it. That is not to say there won't be some short term turbulence, but it can be off-set by the medium and long term greater flexibility in business.

1. That's not actually a fact. Most of the general predictions came true. Not the worst scenarios, but the predictions of where there would be negative impacts have all come true. Except for unemployment. That did not rise as predicted.

2. Germany, France and the UK are not in the EU? Even if you use competitiveness rather than size, whilst Switzerland tops the list it's followed by Germany, the Netherlands, Finland, Sweden and the UK in the world top 10. Norway's not there.

Still, feel-facts work for you, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am 

From a practical point of view, what is needed to organise a second referendum on Brexit?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
easyray wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

See post below (this reply) in response to that.

Last edited by easyray on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am 

eldanielfire wrote:

What makes Norway and Switzerland so strong? How will you replicate their success? Brexit will help you find an oil and gas field 12 times the size of Norways (5 million population)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am 

sewa wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What makes Norway and Switzerland so strong? How will you replicate their success? Thats a ridicilous comparison.

Norway has to follow EU laws as a member of the Single Market and so does Switzerland for access to the SM and CU. Switzerland and Norway are also part of the Schengen zone, so free movement rules also apply. So eldanielfire wants the UK to be like Switzerland and Norway where we pay into the EU for access to the SM and CU, become part of the Schengen zone and have completely open borders, obey EU laws and have no say in the rules, Sounds like he's part of May's negotiating team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 am 

Quote:

1. That's not actually a fact. Most of the general predictions came true. Not the worst scenarios, but the predictions of where there would be negative impacts have all come true. Except for unemployment. That did not rise as predicted.

2. Germany, France and the UK are not in the EU? Even if you use competitiveness rather than size, whilst Switzerland tops the list it's followed by Germany, the Netherlands, Finland, Sweden and the UK in the world top 10. Norway's not there.

Still, feel-facts work for you, I guess

Go on then , what predictions did "come true"

If they hadn't have cut rates even the exchange rate issue would have been far better. Also most the serious uncertainty has come about since the idiot women's General election last year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 am 

easyray wrote:
sewa wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What makes Norway and Switzerland so strong? How will you replicate their success? Thats a ridicilous comparison.

Norway has to follow EU laws as a member of the Single Market and so does Switzerland for access to the SM and CU. Switzerland and Norway are also part of the Schengen zone, so free movement rules also apply. So eldanielfire wants the UK to be like Switzerland and Norway where we pay into the EU for access to the SM and CU, become part of the Schengen zone and have completely open borders, obey EU laws and have no say in the rules, Sounds like he's part of May's negotiating team.

The EEA deal is better than Mays current presentation.

We've covered Swiss "free movement" many many times. You need a f ucking work permit to work there, these are a serious barrier to entry, I'd happily swap for their immigration policies.

The border is also closed for goods and there's a hard border ....,

The differences are massive , your presentation is wrong at best totally dishonest at worst.

Please also note the protection that Language gives to Norway in regards to immigration and work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am 

bimboman wrote:
Quote:

If they hadn't have cut rates even the exchange rate issue would have been far better. Also most the serious uncertainty has come about since the idiot women's General election last year.

Five-point pre-vote prediction:

1. Economic growth will slow down (TRUE)
2. The pound will fall (TRUE)
3. Unemployment will rise (NOT TRUE)
4. Inflation would increase (TRUE)
5. Business investment would slow (TRUE)

The Project Fear catastrophe stuff came from the bank's scenario testing, and was not actually a prediction of what would happen. Something which Carney made clear regularly, but seemed to be ignored both by Remainers trying to scare people prior to the vote and Leavers trying to paint experts as incompetent after the vote.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 am 

easyray wrote:
sewa wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Yup, I have a load of Irish contractor mates working in Solothurn currently. No visa required

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am 

They’ll need a B permit as a minimum to work in Switzerland.

Quote:
Employment longer than three months (citizens of EU-25/EFTA states)
For employment lasting longer than three months, EU-25/EFTA citizens require a residence permit. Register with the communal authorities in the place you reside before taking up work. You will be required to present a:

valid ID card or passport

Last edited by bimboman on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 am 

4071 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

Five-point pre-vote prediction:

1. Economic growth will slow down (TRUE)
2. The pound will fall (TRUE)
3. Unemployment will rise (NOT TRUE)
4. Inflation would increase (TRUE)
5. Business investment would slow (TRUE)

The Project Fear catastrophe stuff came from the bank's scenario testing, and was not actually a prediction of what would happen. Something which Carney made clear regularly, but seemed to be ignored both by Remainers trying to scare people prior to the vote and Leavers trying to paint experts as incompetent after the vote.

Business has grown. Inflation is the fault of the rate cutting BOE.
Inward investment first half 2018 65billion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am 

It never ceases to amaze me how some moderators still think that stickied threads are a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 am 

Yeah, took me ages to find our new "radeau de la Méduse"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am 

The fact the Swiss have committed to maintaining full free movement despite their 2014 referendum result shows exactly who the power brokers are in the Swiss - EU deals. Norway even went a step further and joined Schengen. Brexiters looking to them as an example of how the UK might go after Brexit is frankly laughable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm 

4071 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
easyray wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Still, feel-facts work for you, I guess.

Those countries have much bigger populations. Take the GDP per capita The Swiss and Norway rank about Germany, UK and France. This is obviously the fact I was referring to.

As for the Brexit predictions, things wrong are the mass exodus of business and banks which are barely moving, more opening a new office in paris or somewhere, wrong about investment, the Uk has had record investment at times post Brexit and article 50, wrong about unemployment, wrong about economic growth, etc. There are precious few other economic measurements that matter here. Most of which are due to the uncertainty. As I said the short term is always going to have some changes business have to wait for.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm 

Quote:
May: Brexit documents represent a decisive breakthrough, but they're not the final deal. Intense week of negotiations ahead.

Properly confused now, even May is saying there's more negotiations. EU saying no, we're done negotiating. Which is it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:32 pm 

normilet wrote:
Quote:
May: Brexit documents represent a decisive breakthrough, but they're not the final deal. Intense week of negotiations ahead.

Properly confused now, even May is saying there's more negotiations. EU saying no, we're done negotiating. Which is it?

There is apparently two documents. One is the deal itself 565 pages approx, this is not up for negotiation. There is a seperate 7 page doc commiting to the general approach, this may get tweaked not that what is in it matters at all

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

Those countries have much bigger populations. Take the GDP per capita The Swiss and Norway rank about Germany, UK and France. This is obviously the fact I was referring to.

As for the Brexit predictions, things wrong are the mass exodus of business and banks which are barely moving, more opening a new office in paris or somewhere, wrong about investment, the Uk has had record investment at times post Brexit and article 50, wrong about unemployment, wrong about economic growth, etc. There are precious few other economic measurements that matter here. Most of which are due to the uncertainty. As I said the short term is always going to have some changes business have to wait for.

It was not obvious and hardly makes any sense at all.

It is not post Brexit yet, as it has not yet happened. Jobs are shifting to EU locations whether you like it or not and this trend will dramatically increase in case of hard Brexit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 pm 

easyray wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Tony Connolly on how the deal was done.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... 85-brexit/

Worth the read.

The deal has not been done. The offer is unacceptable so worth a read it ain't

The deal is done, that is why it was presented to the Cabinet and published.

It's not done until been passed by Parliament and the 27 other countries. It's very, very far from being done.

Fixed.

With the Daily Mail now u-turning and backing remain, I can see a lot more people having second thoughts. Hmm, I wonder if the Mail will get behind a peoples' vote?

Doubtful. Any brexit column is being savaged in the comments section because of the editorial change. And that's with the fake down-voting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:01 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/19/uk-house-prices-fall-5000-brexit-south-november-rightmove

Property market collapsing can only be good news

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 pm 

Moggystyle :)

https://twitter.com/swedemason/status/1 ... 9808103424

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:06 pm 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some moderators still think that stickied threads are a good idea.

Some mod obviously has a bee in their bonnet. But I prefer this to having to decode thread titles.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1243  Next