Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 pm 

Everyone gets docked a point for shite handling

15. Liam Williams – My Welsh MOTM. Even in the first half, when everyone was playing like retards, he was a constant source of quality rugby. 7/10

14. George North – Positives were his hard running and getting those tries, however he once again got caught biting in for one of the French tries. 5/10

13. Jon Davies – Solid if unspectacular. I imagine on a dry night and a bit of ball, he’d have tested the young Ntamack, but as it was he had make do with just defending. 5/10

12. Hadlight Parkes – Another who didn’t do much wrong, or much right. 5/10

11. Josh Adams – My almost MOTM. On a night where there were a lot of balls that needed to be driven back from kicks, he managed every time to find arms and make it over the gainline. 6/10

10. Gareth Anscombe – Had a night to forget. Definitely deserved his starting place, but missing kicks, kicking it out on the full, and generally being ineffective was a poor showing all round. Wet weather rugby simply doesn’t suit his game. 4/10

9. Tomos Williams – Struggled a bit on his first start, but the conditions were atrocious. Will get better. 4/10

8. Ross Moriarty – Massive brainfart at the end to gift the penalty into the corner, but apart from that was diligent in his work. 5/10

7. Justin Tipuric – Was still the first man out of the defensive line at the 80 minute mark, and according to the stats, won the ‘most tackles’ competition with 19, none missed (which feels about right). 6/10

6. Josh Navidi – Worked his bollocks off, and I know some see him as MOTM, but I have a hard time giving it to anyone in the pack given that they struggled all night. Like Tipuric, solid outing. 6/10

5. Alun Wyn Jones – Alongside Navidi, worked diligently to try and stop the monster French pack on the gainline. As usual, total commitment. 6/10

4. Adam Beard – To say the game passed him by is somewhat of an understatement. Managed just 4 tackles while he was on, and was part of a ropey lineout. Let’s hope this is him getting over his injury. 2/10

3 Tom Francis – Solid scrummaging, and that’s about it. 3/10

2. Ken Owen – Lineout went to shit, but at least put in a few solid tackles. 3/10

1. Rob Evans – Popped up once or twice in attack and defence, but you can never shake the feeling that he ought to be doing more. 3/10

Team Total: 4.6/10

Tactics Talk

Let’s not beat around the bush, we were gifted the game. However, in saying that, at this level you’ve still got to be working hard to take the opportunities presented (a lazy winger, or a ‘Cuthbert’ if you will, would likely not have scored either of North’s tries).

The weather was so poor, there were no tactics, but the fact that we were unable to hold onto the ball for any length of time must be worrying. We can but hope that it’s just our usual shit-first-game -itus.

Positives were Liam Williams (who may be out after that hit), Adams, the backrow (as per usual). Negatives, our handling, the halfbacks and North’s continued inability to stay on the wing and not bite in.

Onwards and upwards!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:26 pm 

6 for Navidi. I'll sort his transfer to the Os to get his score up. Cawdor was shite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 pm 

Ratings and assessment the most accurate thing about the entire episode.

Well played Sir.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 pm 

Frodder wrote:
6 for Navidi. I'll sort his transfer to the Os to get his score up. Cawdor was shite

It started at 8, then docked one for the pack in general getting pumped, and another for the handling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:32 pm 

Tipuric and Navidi 6? Crazy stuff Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 pm 

Gifted the game is right. We could have played exactly the same and lost by 18. That being said good teams win when they play crap, and we played crap. But we got the result and that's all that matters at the moment. As a plus, Josh Adams is the real deal, it was his play that led to the try that gave us a glimmer of hope. Cutting back laterally, looking for a gap in the chaos of the defensive forward line; very reminiscent of the try he scored in Argentina. He's going to be a first choice winger for a long time.

As for North, he's been playing for us since he was 12 and I'm still not sure if he's brilliant or lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:37 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

14. George North – Positives were his hard running and getting those tries, however he once again got caught biting in for one of the French tries. 5/10

13. Jon Davies – Solid if unspectacular. I imagine on a dry night and a bit of ball, he’d have tested the young Ntamack, but as it was he had make do with just defending. 5/10

9. Tomos Williams – Struggled a bit on his first start, but the conditions were atrocious. Will get better. 4/10

8. Ross Moriarty – Massive brainfart at the end to gift the penalty into the corner, but apart from that was diligent in his work. 5/10

7. Justin Tipuric – Was still the first man out of the defensive line at the 80 minute mark, and according to the stats, won the ‘most tackles’ competition with 19, none missed (which feels about right). 6/10

6. Josh Navidi – Worked his bollocks off, and I know some see him as MOTM, but I have a hard time giving it to anyone in the pack given that they struggled all night. Like Tipuric, solid outing. 6/10

I disagree with these

North should have got more, he's a wing who got two vital tries when no one else was there. He let in one, yes but otherwise 2-1 for a winger on tries is a plus.

Jon Davies played a smart and sensible game, always unbeatable in defence and always an option.

Tomos Williams played well, good quality ball from the rucks constantly and scored a try.

Tipuric was also good, Slowed down plenty of ball and in the last 15 was tackling constantly to prevent the French doing anything.

Navidi was the best player on the pitch.

The front row deserve credit for securing rucks and for the most part taking the French scrum to them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:37 pm 

Feels about right. I don't think anyone deserved more than a 6-7, but I do think that Tipuric and Navidi put in an unbelievable shift together in the second half. Watching the pair of them still coming sprinting out of the defensive line at 80min+ typified their performances. Liam was good with little ball, but I'd have a hard time picking between those two for MoTM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:38 pm 

bessantj wrote:

Indeed. Navidi's first half and Tipuric's last 20 essentially saved the game for Wales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Indeed. Navidi's first half and Tipuric's last 20 essentially saved the game for Wales.

Just when France had shat the bed... :lol:

Williams was the only standout player for Wales.

Last edited by clementinfrance on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm 

what did tipuric do?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 pm 

Theflier wrote:
what did tipuric do?

Tackle like a mad-man and threaten the rucks to draw in more players or slow it down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Theflier wrote:
what did tipuric do?

Tackle like a mad-man and threaten the rucks to draw in more players or slow it down.

so the same as navidi, but without the constant yardage gain and turnovers. Now I see whyt he swansea man awarded them the same rating

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 pm 

clementinfrance wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Just when France had shat the bed... :lol:

Williams was the only standout player for Wales.

No doubt, but his first up tackles stopped France getting any momentum and feeling the need to shit some more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:45 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
bessantj wrote:

The tackling shift Tips put in was superb, deserved 7 on that alone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 pm 

bessantj wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
bessantj wrote:

The tackling shift Tips put in was superb, deserved 7 on that alone.

Tipuric was the reason why a shitting the bed France kept shitting it. Every time France got the ball I was worried something was on until I saw a blue cap fly up and stop the ball runner over and over forcing France to think "what now" and just attempt to bosh through non-stop, something Wales can defend for years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 pm 

that epitomises playing France these days, tackle them to death for 60 mins and then they are spent, the intercept try was case in point, win great ball back and then couldn't string 3 proper passes together out the back....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:51 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

I disagree with these

North should have got more, he's a wing who got two vital tries when no one else was there. He let in one, yes but otherwise 2-1 for a winger on tries is a plus.

He was gifted the 2 tries. He didn't have a particularly good game otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 pm 

As a Scarlets fan I had to cringe at Gareth Davies' performance. Almost single handedly tried to win the game for France.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 pm 

Premier Red wrote:
that epitomises playing France these days, tackle them to death for 60 mins and then they are spent, the intercept try was case in point, win great ball back and then couldn't string 3 proper passes together out the back....

Damned locks... :x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 am 

Jackal79 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

I disagree with these

It was his decision to run up and intercept the second It was his chasing, with no other welsh players close that got him in perfect position to grab the first.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Jackal79 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

I disagree with these

It was his decision to run up and intercept the second It was his chasing, with no other welsh players close that got him in perfect position to grab the first.

It's nothing out of the ordinary for a winger to chase up a seemingly lost cause, or to have the audacity to catch a ball thrown your way by an opposing player before galloping unchallenged towards the try line.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:00 am 

Jackal79 wrote:
It's nothing out of the ordinary for a winger to chase up a seemingly lost cause, or to have the audacity to catch a ball thrown your way by an opposing player before galloping unchallenged towards the try line.

Not claimed otherwise, but it was a decisive decision.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:07 am 

Anscombe? Just how bad is the depth if Welsh rugby?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:47 am 

Strangely enough a 27 year old can be quite a different player to a 22 year old in a completely different environment :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Strangely enough a 27 year old can be quite a different player to a 22 year old in a completely different environment :roll:

When Anscombe left NZ he could be a wildly inconsistent kicker and was prone to poor decision making interspersed with flashes of a decent running game, nice to know he’s a different player now :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:39 am 

JM2K6 wrote:

Surely he can't be much worse? I'll take your word for it though. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:45 am 

Lima effed up one try and cost another by being selfish...i thot he was bad...my MotM would be Moriarty cause he seemed to be everywhere..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 am 

Tipuric 6/10?

Which parallel universe are you in? He was utterly bloody sublime and in the last 15 he literally kept Wales in the game.

World class performance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am 

comets wrote:
Lima effed up one try and cost another by being selfish...i thot he was bad...my MotM would be Moriarty cause he seemed to be everywhere..

ESPN has him leading the tackle count, with 20.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 am 

Jake wrote:
Tipuric 6/10?

Which parallel universe are you in? He was utterly bloody sublime and in the last 15 he literally kept Wales in the game.

World class performance.

I noted above why his scores are lower. Yes, the backrow were outstanding for the last 20 (ESPN have put up their more accurate tackle stats, and it was Moriarty who wins with 20 tackles and one missed, but Tipuric had 18 with no missed, and Navidi with 17 and 1 missed)...but there were 60 minutes before that, of being pumped as a pack, and shite handling all round, so they all got docked 2 points. We can quibble about how I arrived at the scores, but the team average of 4.6/10 feels about right for the performance of the team as a whole.

I've just rewatched the game (because I'm that much of a masochist), and a few things popped out on second viewing. I noted it before, but I thought Adams was outstanding. The French managed to find him quite often from their restarts (no doubt aiming for the winger to collect as potentially a soft touch), yet he managed every single time to make great yards against on onrushing French pack.

Gareth Davies was, up to the point he passed the ball to the French in our 22, was looking half decent, but after that he was shite. When his form goes off a cliff, it really goes.

Our bench forwards really made a big impression. Hill in particular was outstanding, managing 12 tackles in 25 minutes (a fair few locks won't manage that much in an entire game). Wainwright also put in a massive hit that dislodged the ball in the Welsh 22, which resulted in the penalty from the scrum where France spun it around (which incidentally, was identical the previous scrum in the exact same spot, but Barnes chose to make that penalty for France :? )...and then when we overthrew the lineout with the 80 almost up, and one of the big French backrowers steamed into the Welsh line, Owen Watkin smashed him and drove him sidways across the pitch, killing what should have been some big momentum at the death for the French.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Tipuric 6/10?

World class performance.

I noted above why his scores are lower. Yes, the backrow were outstanding for the last 20 (ESPN have put up their more accurate tackle stats, and it was Moriarty who wins with 20 tackles and one missed, but Tipuric had 18 with no missed, and Navidi with 17 and 1 missed)...but there were 60 minutes before that, of being pumped as a pack, and shite handling all round, so they all got docked 2 points. We can quibble about how I arrived at the scores, but the team average of 4.6/10 feels about right for the performance of the team as a whole.

I've just rewatched the game (because I'm that much of a masochist), and a few things popped out on second viewing. I noted it before, but I thought Adams was outstanding. The French managed to find him quite often from their restarts (no doubt aiming for the winger to collect as potentially a soft touch), yet he managed every single time to make great yards against on onrushing French pack.

Gareth Davies was, up to the point he passed the ball to the French in our 22, was looking half decent, but after that he was shite. When his form goes off a cliff, it really goes.

Our bench forwards really made a big impression. Hill in particular was outstanding, managing 12 tackles in 25 minutes (a fair few locks won't manage that much in an entire game). Wainwright also put in a massive hit that dislodged the ball in the Welsh 22, which resulted in the penalty from the scrum where France spun it around (which incidentally, was identical the previous scrum in the exact same spot, but Barnes chose to make that penalty for France :? )...and then when we overthrew the lineout with the 80 almost up, and one of the big French backrowers steamed into the Welsh line, Owen Watkin smashed him and drove him sidways across the pitch, killing what should have been some big momentum at the death for the French.

A few points back- that scrum pen- the first one for me was to Wales as Fra LH swings out and goes in. Also Biggar- he added a lot more control than Baywatch did in the first half. Then, in response to EJ's openside in the 3/4's line, Fox was bloody amazing in the last 20 too.

Wales' have a few real champions in that side- Tips, AWJ and JD and they were the three that dragged Wales to a wonderful win.

I still wonder when you lot will wake up and see that Parkes is a shadow of the Good Doctor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 am 

Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Tipuric 6/10?

World class performance.

A few points back- that scrum pen- the first one for me was to Wales as Fra LH swings out and goes in. Also Biggar- he added a lot more control than Baywatch did in the first half. Then, in response to EJ's openside in the 3/4's line, Fox was bloody amazing in the last 20 too.

Wales' have a few real champions in that side- Tips, AWJ and JD and they were the three that dragged Wales to a wonderful win.

I still wonder when you lot will wake up and see that Parkes is a shadow of the Good Doctor.

I think we realise that Parkes isn't even remotely World Class. I joked not long ago to the Kiwi's in my office that he's average, but almost uniquely, is average at every level, all the way up to internationals...and when you think about it, how many teams would take a big 12 that never makes a mistake, even if he never really does much in attack?

As alluded to in my post, the French walked the scrum around on both occasions. Such is the life of a ref that they'll give a pen to either team for two almost identical scrums.

I made a point in one of the 6 nations preview threads that Wales being definitively third best in the World was no accident, and that's because we actually have a solid international/world class spine. It is getting a bit sticky at the moment though with the halfbacks not being settled.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Tipuric 6/10?

World class performance.

I think we realise that Parkes isn't even remotely World Class. I joked not long ago to the Kiwi's in my office that he's average, but almost uniquely, is average at every level, all the way up to internationals...and when you think about it, how many teams would take a big 12 that never makes a mistake, even if he never really does much in attack?

As alluded to in my post, the French walked the scrum around on both occasions. Such is the life of a ref that they'll give a pen to either team for two almost identical scrums.

I made a point in one of the 6 nations preview threads that Wales being definitively third best in the World was no accident, and that's because we actually have a solid international/world class spine. It is getting a bit sticky at the moment though with the halfbacks not being settled.

Well, I know JR is desperate to still play for Wales and is really pissed off that WG isn't communicating with him about what he needs to do.

I can't believe there's even a debate about 10. Biggar is proven, Baywatch isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 am 

I fear the only thing Jamie Roberts could do to get back into the Welsh side is be 5 to 10 years younger. Robert's whole game was about smashing people over the gainline, both in attack and defence, and although his size helped, it's actually speed that allows you to get to the space needed before contact is made. He hasn't got that speed anymore, and sadly for him, never will again...as such, contact doesn't happen in the right place for him to be effective.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:55 am 

JTB,

I think he's back to his best actually.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 pm 

His 2009 Lions best ? Must watch more Bath games if so

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 pm 

I don't think its a coincidence that welsh back play has looked more expansive and cohesive since Roberts has stopped getting picked.

He was a fantastic servant for Welsh rugby and will be remembered as one of our best ever centres, but the games moved on from what he can offer us. Parke's, despite being mediocre as fudge, offers a much better rounded game which helps get more out of the players around him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:03 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Everyone gets docked a point for shite handling

15. Liam Williams – My Welsh MOTM. Even in the first half, when everyone was playing like retards, he was a constant source of quality rugby. 7/10

12. Hadlight Parkes – Another who didn’t do much wrong, or much right. 5/10

11. Josh Adams – My almost MOTM. On a night where there were a lot of balls that needed to be driven back from kicks, he managed every time to find arms and make it over the gainline. 6/10

10. Gareth Anscombe – Had a night to forget. Definitely deserved his starting place, but missing kicks, kicking it out on the full, and generally being ineffective was a poor showing all round. Wet weather rugby simply doesn’t suit his game. 4/10

5. Alun Wyn Jones – Alongside Navidi, worked diligently to try and stop the monster French pack on the gainline. As usual, total commitment. 6/10

4. Adam Beard – To say the game passed him by is somewhat of an understatement. Managed just 4 tackles while he was on, and was part of a ropey lineout. Let’s hope this is him getting over his injury. 2/10

3 Tom Francis – Solid scrummaging, and that’s about it. 3/10

2. Ken Owen – Lineout went to shit, but at least put in a few solid tackles. 3/10

1. Rob Evans – Popped up once or twice in attack and defence, but you can never shake the feeling that he ought to be doing more. 3/10

Tactics Talk

Let’s not beat around the bush, we were gifted the game. However, in saying that, at this level you’ve still got to be working hard to take the opportunities presented (a lazy winger, or a ‘Cuthbert’ if you will, would likely not have scored either of North’s tries).

The weather was so poor, there were no tactics, but the fact that we were unable to hold onto the ball for any length of time must be worrying. We can but hope that it’s just our usual shit-first-game -itus.

Positives were Liam Williams (who may be out after that hit), Adams, the backrow (as per usual). Negatives, our handling, the halfbacks and North’s continued inability to stay on the wing and not bite in.

Onwards and upwards!!!

Alex Cuthbert could have scored the tries attributed to George North (admittedly that comes with the caveat that Cuthbert would have knocked on at least once and bookies would have given good odds that both opportunities would have been squandered)