Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:03 pm 

Kicks off in Barbados today at 2pm GMT.

England Test squad: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Ben Foakes (wk), Keaton Jennings, Jack Leach, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood (replaced the injured Olly Stone).

West Indies 1st Test squad: Jason Holder (capt), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich (wk), Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope (wk), Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican.

Would like to see Shia Hope kick on. he looked the real deal on their last tour of England but he's been poor since. Interesting to see how Englands team develops over this series with some suggestions that if Foakes continues to bat well it kind of throws the teams ballance out a bit. Also intersting to see if Broad still has the goods and can make it to the Ashes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 pm 

etherman wrote:

England Test squad: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Ben Foakes (wk), Keaton Jennings, Jack Leach, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood (replaced the injured Olly Stone).

West Indies 1st Test squad: Jason Holder (capt), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich (wk), Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope (wk), Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican.

Would like to see Shia Hope kick on. he looked the real deal on their last tour of England but he's been poor since. Interesting to see how Englands team develops over this series with some suggestions that if Foakes continues to bat well it kind of throws the teams ballance out a bit. Also intersting to see if Broad still has the goods and can make it to the Ashes.

Only because they have been keen to squeeze Bairstow in anywhere otherwise it wouldn't be much different to when JB was in the team surely. I like JB and his hundred will rightly keep him in but his form had been up and down for a while; decent knocks being the exception rather than the rule.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:23 pm 

Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:

Only because they have been keen to squeeze Bairstow in anywhere otherwise it wouldn't be much different to when JB was in the team surely. I like JB and his hundred will rightly keep him in but his form had been up and down for a while; decent knocks being the exception rather than the rule.

I'm presuming they are going to keep him at 3? I'm not convinced but happy to be proved wrong. And yeah I was critical of the Buttler call but runs dont lie.

Dont know anything about this pitch. Will it be quick or a turner?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 pm 

etherman wrote:
Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:

I'm presuming they are going to keep him at 3? I'm not convinced but happy to be proved wrong. And yeah I was critical of the Buttler call but runs dont lie.

No one seems to know. Grassy bits, bare bits and dry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm 

Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:
Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:

We need Tony Greig's car keys for a proper pitch report!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm 

Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:
Big D wrote:
etherman wrote:

F me the Windies cricket board are a shambles. How can they not get their act together with the pitches thing? Its not like the dont know of the concequences of getting it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm 

The pitch: https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1087720774721568770

:uhoh: x(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:52 pm 

etherman wrote:
Interesting to see how Englands team develops over this series with some suggestions that if Foakes continues to bat well it kind of throws the teams ballance out a bit.

This is certainly true. England rely on the bowlers to supply runs. Having another player contributing as well would destroy the balance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:
Interesting to see how Englands team develops over this series with some suggestions that if Foakes continues to bat well it kind of throws the teams ballance out a bit.

This is certainly true. England rely on the bowlers to supply runs. Having another player contributing as well would destroy the balance.

Looking like this I guess.

Burns
Buster
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Woakes/Curran
Rashid - Or Moeen one place higher
Broad
Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm 

??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 pm 

ovalball wrote:
??

Que?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm 

etherman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:

Looking like this I guess.

Burns
Buster
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Woakes/Curran
Rashid - Or Moeen one place higher
Broad
Anderson

Moeen will play.

i guess it is whether they want a second spinner too. I expect Woakes and one of Curran/Broad to miss out if they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:10 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:

Ballance isn't even in the side (sorry, had to)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm 

sturginho wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:

Ballance isn't even in the side (sorry, had to)

I actually wrote Ballance into the side in place of Bairstow above. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm 

Looks like a bowl first pitch but.. the stats say:

Last ten tosses: 8 batting first (3 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses), 2 bowled first (1 draw, 1 loss)

Looks like a toss to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm 

etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
??

Que?

You had Ballance in your team when I posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

ovalball wrote:
etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
??

Que?

You had Balance in your team when I posted.

Yeah. Some weird freudian shit going on. Deep down i must miss him dearly. The hapless kunt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 pm 

Cricinfo were suggesting that Broad and Woakes might miss out and that we'll play 2 spinners.

I'm not sure that a pace attack of Jimmy/Sam and Stokes, really convinces me. But, if they intend to play Leach as the 2nd spinner they'll want the extra all rounder to keep the depth in the batting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Cricinfo were suggesting that Broad and Woakes might miss out and that we'll play 2 spinners.

I'm not sure that a pace attack of Jimmy/Sam and Stokes, really convinces me. But, if they intend to play Leach as the 2nd spinner they'll want the extra all rounder to keep the depth in the batting.

I think they need to give Woakes a chance to cement himself. Branderson are on the way out eventually and he's the only reliable experienced quick on the radar. If either or both Broad or Anderson break down or go to shit in the next 6 months, he'll be the new ball bowler for the Ashes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm 

etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I think they need to give Woakes a chance to cement himself. Branderson are on the way out eventually and he's the only reliable experienced quick on the radar. If either or both Broad or Anderson break down or go to shit in the next 6 months, he'll be the new ball bowler for the Ashes.

I've always been a huge Woakes fan. I actually think the balance of the side is improved if he plays instead of Stokes - but that isn't going to happen (assuming you are only laying 3 seamers + 2 spinners). The problem England have now is that, due to the success of Foakes, we're effectively playing another batsman (Bairstow), leaving us with one less option in the bowling. Last summer we were playing 4 seamers and 2 spinners - can't do that with Foakes, Buttler and Bairstow in the team.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:21 pm 

Looks like Broad and Woakes are the ones to miss out - neither of them warming up before the start in 40 mins.

Rashid or Leach to join Moen as spin twins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:22 pm 

ovalball wrote:
etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I've always been a huge Woakes fan. I actually think the balance of the side is improved if he plays instead of Stokes - but that isn't going to happen (assuming you are only laying 3 seamers + 2 spinners). The problem England have now is that, due to the success of Foakes, we're effectively playing another batsman (Bairstow), leaving us with one less option in the bowling. Last summer we were playing 4 seamers and 2 spinners - can't do that with Foakes, Buttler and Bairstow in the team.

On the other hand, we are well covered for a mid game injury to a wicketkeeper. Or two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

On the other hand, we are well covered for a mid game injury to a wicketkeeper. Or two.

They should rotate keepers at each end. Just because they can.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:31 pm 

etherman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

They should rotate keepers at each end. Just because they can.

Or between balls if they need to slow the over rate down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 pm 

WI win the toss and bat.

Will see if it was a good toss to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:39 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
WI win the toss and bat.

Will see if it was a good toss to lose.

Broad out, Rashid in.

Need to get amongst them early doors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Looks like Broad and Woakes are the ones to miss out - neither of them warming up before the start in 40 mins.

Rashid gets the nod.

England's policy of "never mind the top order, the middle order never ends" continues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:43 pm 

Both side batting deep - but England all the way to number 10. Just the one spinner for WI - maybe they know more about this pitch than our selectors.

West Indies: 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 John Campbell, 3 Shai Hope, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Shimron Hetmyer, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Alzarri Joseph, 11 Shannon Gabriel
England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Jonny Bairstow, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler, 7 Ben Foakes (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Adil Rashid, 11 James Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Both side batting deep - but England all the way to number 10. Just the one spinner for WI - maybe they know more about this pitch than our selectors.

West Indies: 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 John Campbell, 3 Shai Hope, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Shimron Hetmyer, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Alzarri Joseph, 11 Shannon Gabriel
England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Jonny Bairstow, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler, 7 Ben Foakes (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Adil Rashid, 11 James Anderson

There can't be many times a test team has a number 10 (on merit as those above are better bats) who has 10 FC centuries.

Edit: or a FC average only 2 runs worse than one of the openers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

There can't be many times a test team has a number 10 (on merit as those above are better bats) who has 10 FC centuries.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Rashid gets the nod.

England's policy of "never mind the top order, the middle order never ends" continues.

Yeah its a very complicated line up. They need 5 proper batsmen. So Bairstow and one other alongside Root and Openers. 6 is high enough for Stokes. Curran, Woakes, Mo all good for the 8 spot.

Bat
Bat
Bat
Bat
Bat
AR
WK
AR - Spin or seam depending on Conditions
Bowl - Spin
Bowl
Bowl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:53 pm 

ovalball wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

The quick, Woakes, they left out has a TEST average of 30!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm 

ovalball wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

It does sum up England's team at the moment quite nicely I thought. The only surprise is that neither of them keeps wicket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm 

etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Yes. He needs to improve that if he is going to displace Curran (test average 37).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm 

etherman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I'd rather see him opening the batting, than Jennings...……..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 pm 

Am I being stupid or is this not on the radio??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Talk Sport 2. Its really badly sign posted on their website. Just click Listen live and the portal opens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 pm 

etherman wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Talk Sport 2. Its really badly sign posted on their website. Just click Listen live and the portal opens

Ta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:40 pm 

Curran started too short and its not swinging for him. But that doesnt really set him apart from any England bowler that isnt Jimmy over the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:09 pm 

etherman wrote:
Curran started too short and its not swinging for him. But that doesnt really set him apart from any England bowler that isnt Jimmy over the last 10 years.

Much as I like and admire Sam - do we really think he's the best choice as an opening bowler at test level? Seems a slightly odd choice in a 3 man seam attack for me.