Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1084 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:46 pm 

Who?
Image . . . v . . . Image

Teams
Quote:
England starting XV (555 caps)

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 26 caps), 14 Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks, 43 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps), 12 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 28 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 41 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 66 caps) (c), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 81 caps), 1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 52 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 33 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 18 caps), 4 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 69 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 28 caps), 6 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 9 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 6 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 37 caps).

Finishers (249 caps)

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 8 caps), 17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps), 18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 82 caps), 19 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 54 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 19 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, uncapped), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps), 23 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 30 caps).

Quote:
France

15-Yoann Huget, 14-Damian Penaud, 13-Mathieu Bastareaud, 12-Geoffrey Doumayrou, 11-Gael Fickou, 10-Camille Lopez, 9-Morgan Parra; 1-Jefferson Poirot, 2-Guilhem Guirado (captain), 3-Demba Bamba, 4-Sebastien Vahaamahina, 5-Felix Lambey, 6-Yacouba Camara, 7-Arthur Iturria, 8-Louis Picamoles

Replacements: 16-Pierre Bourgarit, 17-Dany Priso, 18-Dorian Aldegheri, 19-Paul Willemse, 20-Gregory Alldritt, 21-Antoine Dupont, 22-Romain Ntamack, 23-Thomas Ramos

Coach comments pre-game
Quote:
England head coach Eddie Jones: "After the Ireland game we have had to refocus and reset.

"The French are always an interesting side to play against.

"They are full of talent, they have a lot of unpredictability so it's hard to prepare tactically against them so we have had a real focus on ourselves."

France head coach Jacques Brunel: "England stays true to herself. We know they always impose their power.

"Last year we won shortly after suffering ourselves. Then they had a difficult phase that lasted three to four months. Since then they have found their form, as the match against Ireland attests.

"I was very impressed with their performance. They dominated most of the game by putting constant pressure on Ireland. In my eyes, it was an English demonstration."

Where?

When?
Sunday 10 Feb 2019, Kick off at 3:00 GMT.

Your referees
Quote:
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
ARs: Andrew Brace (Ireland) & Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

Predicted weather
Quote:
Cloudy with a 30% chance of rain. 8 degrees at kick-off with some limited rain expected on the Friday and Saturday leading up to match day

Rule 1

England
Spoiler: show

France

Last edited by pjm1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 pm 

Genius on all counts

O'Wens to play the giddy goat. The good France to turn up in all odd number minutes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:52 pm 

45-3 sounds about right.

well done pigdogs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:03 pm 

Quote:
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

Groan...awful ref these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm 

Top quality OP pj

pjm1 wrote:
England

God bless Countdown and all who sail in her

Agreed about Owens, though I'd rather he had the whistle than a touchies' flag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:39 pm 

Owens is a top ref who will be in rwc. But he'll ref England off the park if they're not careful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm 

I dunno, by now I think there's a good chance he's figured out what a knock on is

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
Owens is a top ref who will be in rwc. But he'll ref England off the park if they're not careful.

Sometimes seems to be more about him when he refs nowadays

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:16 pm 

SaintK wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Screwed us in the Jock game last year, but other than that I don't remember too many games where he's done England over (English clubs in Europe, on the other hand... :uhoh: )

I can see the scrum being much more of a factor this week - no way will the French look to just push straight and lock-out on our ball!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm 

Laurent wrote:
45-3 sounds about right.

well done pigdogs.

42-3.

Lard arse Atonio is out which reduced the slaughter margin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 pm 

Joost wrote:
SaintK wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

Screwed us in the Jock game last year, but other than that I don't remember too many games where he's done England over (English clubs in Europe, on the other hand... :uhoh: )

I can see the scrum being much more of a factor this week - no way will the French look to just push straight and lock-out on our ball!

As Chuckles alluded to above, 2014 New Zealand tour. He spent a whole test interpreting any time England dropped the ball as a knock on even when it clearly went backwards. He's also done it to Wasps in Europe :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:34 pm 

I seem to recall him actually saying that it didn't matter what direction it left the hands, if you touched it and it hit the turf it was a knock on.

He didn't screw us at Murrayfield last year but it was a monumentally unsympathetic reffing performance. By the end of the game I'd given up trying to figure out what he wanted from us at the breakdown, as, clearly, did the players themselves. Like 30-3, the opposition beat us the fuck up and it looked like so much fun the ref decided to join in

Last edited by Chuckles1188 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:34 pm 

This will be a massacre; a shit Fr team against an English team full of confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:37 pm 

With Owens in the middle at least he won’t be trying to call the shots from the touch line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm 

If France play like they did in the first half against Wales for the 80, it will be a nail biter. (Big if I know).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm 

Masterji wrote:
This will be a massacre; a shit Fr team against an English team full of confidence.

It rarely works out that way.

It'll be close.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Joost wrote:
SaintK wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

As Chuckles alluded to above, 2014 New Zealand tour. He spent a whole test interpreting any time England dropped the ball as a knock on even when it clearly went backwards. He's also done it to Wasps in Europe :evil:

That was the one where he told an AB that since he'd only just got on the pitch, he wasn't going to yellow card him for the extremely cynical bit of play right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:57 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
I seem to recall him actually saying that it didn't matter what direction it left the hands, if you touched it and it hit the turf it was a knock on.

He didn't screw us at Murrayfield last year but it was a monumentally unsympathetic reffing performance. By the end of the game I'd given up trying to figure out what he wanted from us at the breakdown, as, clearly, did the players themselves. Like 30-3, the opposition beat us the fuck up and it looked like so much fun the ref decided to join in

Aside from the reffing of the breakdown (where the jocks got away with absolute murder!), the two calls that irked me were the disallowed try and the one where he shouted play-on/no issue at a ruck, Care (I think) then intercepted the pass and was clean-through to score and he decided that, actually, it was a penalty!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm 

The first 6 Nations game I have ever managed to get to. AM looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm 

not_english wrote:
The first 6 Nations game I have ever managed to get to. AM looking forward to it.

Make sure you record it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm 

England need to show they can back up last week's performance. They have not shown much consistency of late so this will be a challenge for the coaching team. Think Mitchell might be key in this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
England need to show they can back up last week's performance. They have not shown much consistency of late so this will be a challenge for the coaching team. Think Mitchell might be key in this.

They were pretty consistent last year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
terryfinch wrote:

They were pretty consistent last year

Not really?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Masterji wrote:

It rarely works out that way.

It'll be close.

Normally I would agree with you but this is the Fr, and they are already beaten before they get on the plane.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 pm 

Joost wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Aside from the reffing of the breakdown (where the jocks got away with absolute murder!), the two calls that irked me were the disallowed try and the one where he shouted play-on/no issue at a ruck, Care (I think) then intercepted the pass and was clean-through to score and he decided that, actually, it was a penalty!

Yep - that was pretty blatant and hugely frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 pm 

Masterji wrote:

Good summary. England by 25 (at least)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm 

Can't see us matching the intensity of the Ireland game, and France have some extra lumps in their team, so we may not have the gain line sewn up this time. Should be able to move that pack around though with an accurate kicking game (again, not sure if we can replicate the accuracy of Saturday) and punch some holes in that midfield. Don't really know what the French do...

Eng by 5.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 pm 

France in France with filthy weather and a huge pack could be a close game.
France after a crushing loss in England means it's going to be a massacre.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm 

c69 wrote:

Not so sure. They will be pissed at gift-wrapping Wales a victory. Could be a backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:36 pm 

France by 6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
c69 wrote:

Not so sure. They will be pissed at gift-wrapping Wales a victory. Could be a backlash.

No they won't, as always the players and the "staffs" will find excuses. Plus with owens quacking all the times it's going to be really bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am 

There's something to be said for going into such a tough game with absolutely nothing to lose. Say what you want about this French squad, but they sure know how to lower expectations and alleviate pressure. They'll be the most relaxed team at the WC. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:00 am 

The Mockers Gods are stirring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am 

Not looking forward to that one.

Hopefully, Huget will be in form and save us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:05 am 

ovalball wrote:
Joost wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

This thread is a lot more fun than I thought it could be. Good to see you guys are over last year's Calcutta Cup game.

First England 3-point penalty was a perfectly good jackal by Watson.
Itoje was given a jackal penalty himself in the England 22 where he actually had to bend over Jonny Gray, the clear out man, to get his hands on the ball. Clear hands in the ruck by Itoje, penalty England - mere metres from their own try line.
The score line flattered you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
This thread is a lot more fun than I thought it could be. Good to see you guys are over last year's Calcutta Cup game.

Itoje was given a jackal penalty himself in the England 22 where he actually had to bend over Jonny Gray, the clear out man, to get his hands on the ball. Clear hands in the ruck by Itoje, penalty England - mere metres from their own try line.

Wait your turn, we're talking about Owens not Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Joost wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Don't go too early! The burds hate it

GS decider on 16th March, we'll talk to you then

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Wait your turn, we're talking about Owens not Scotland

So was I.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 am 

Anyway if we do have to have Owens he will probably do less harm to us as the on field ref rather than the AR where he can call back plays pretty much at will - I mean he did this anyway vs Scotland last year but I assume that was just the mask slipping too far for a moment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 am 

I'd rather play Wales 2nd half team than France's 1st half team, that's a certainty.

First ten crucial- Eng need the same detail- attack Fofana/Lopez channel, get the French narrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1084 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next