Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:27 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Our draw away to Belfast Quins coming back to haunt us in a sense - will probably end up away to Rainey in the playoffs.

Mullet - you lads prob end up away to Thomond I reckon - you will smash Bective

Mad to see them go down - 3 relegations in a row

Ours lads saying we're likely to finish at home

Thomond playing Sligo so somebody has to drop points.

Ah yeah more than likely - they are both 4 points clear of you - so you need 5 and one of them not to get anything

A draw keeps you away.

Thomonds points diff is incredible!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:31 am 

Rumham wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Mullet - hear you boys bringing in Steven Crosbie next year. Excellent piece of business.

His cousin has been playing out there for a while according to my facebook anyway. Prob had a hand in it.

Colin has been with us 8 seasons or so.

That's why it's such a good rumour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:04 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Well Lenny.

You missed one of the best games of rugger I've seen hands down.

Well done to your boys.

Cheers Mullet, heard it was a fabulous game, which is a huge credit to both clubs given the stakes. 9 tried and the lead changing hands 7 times. And then the tries, drop goal and missed penalty at the end. Unbelievable. Five points against Bective, and your points difference will definitely see you at home in the playoff unless we Thomond draw with us with a tbp.

Surprised by the result but absolutely delighted.

Edit: A tbp with a draw isn’t necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am 

Not being retained by Connacht next season then? Not a bad addition to the sayad at all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 am 

So final round.

We're away to bottom place Bective
Second place Thomond away to first place Sligo
And Omagh hosting Bruff.

Best AIL league in excitement terms by a mile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
So final round.

And Omagh hosting Bruff.

Current table

Sligo 51pts +107
Thomond 51pts +2
Malahide 47pts +101
Omagh 47 pts +18

So any tbp win by you, with a current pd of 101, guarantees you a play off place. Omagh will beat Bruff but a tbp isn’t a given, but I think we need a lbp as a minimum for the playoffs, and if Thomond lose, even with a lbp they probably lose out completely. A win or a draw puts us through automatically, assuming neither us or Thomond gets a tbp because of our current pd of 107. You will almost certainly have home advantage in the play off, unless we draw, in which case you’d be away to Thomond.

Definitely will be a huge crowd in Strandhill on Saturday, with a large Thomond crowd travelling apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 am 

I'd be happy not to see to see Thomond again.

They are....eh interesting chaps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Try playing in there all the way through underage.

Barnhall and Thomond have a great relationship!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:

They most certainly are. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am 

The chap beside me last time called the ref a "Crippled handicap"

Which was interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am 

Place full of scummers or something? Never really encountered them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 am 

Nolanator wrote:

It's in Moyross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am 

We were in the same division as them in the AIL a few years back. Needless to say a club with our background didn't get the most warm of welcomes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 am 

Mullet, have you a full side for the weekend? I think we might have one or two out but should have good cover.

Must have been a huge disappointment to lose out with that missed kick, but everything I've heard about the game was massively positive. Thought the Malahide twitter feed was incredibly gracious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am 

We're pretty much a full deck but no big Mike.

It was a heartbreaker but a silly call. The lad played seconds the night before and missed everything. If a fella has the yipes then give it to somebody else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
We're pretty much a full deck but no big Mike.

It was a heartbreaker but a silly call. The lad played seconds the night before and missed everything. If a fella has the yipes then give it to somebody else.

I think you'd destroy Bective with half a side tbh, and getting a home play off game will be a big positive. And then a trip to Belfast Harlequins. Also quite fancy us to beat Thomond given our return to form.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:12 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
So final round.

And Omagh hosting Bruff.

Current table

Sligo 51pts +107
Thomond 51pts +2
Malahide 47pts +101
Omagh 47 pts +18

So any tbp win by you, with a current pd of 101, guarantees you a play off place. Omagh will beat Bruff but a tbp isn’t a given, but I think we need a lbp as a minimum for the playoffs, and if Thomond lose, even with a lbp they probably lose out completely. A win or a draw puts us through automatically, assuming neither us or Thomond gets a tbp because of our current pd of 107. You will almost certainly have home advantage in the play off, unless we draw, in which case you’d be away to Thomond.

Definitely will be a huge crowd in Strandhill on Saturday, with a large Thomond crowd travelling apparently.

Midleton can still sneak in if Omagh/Malahide fudge up the last game too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 pm 

And anybody below that can still be relegated.

Only Bangor are safe. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Was just looking at that, although Tullamore need a tbp win and to make up something like a 55 points difference to drag Seapoint into it. Not a huge fan of Tullamore's, so wouldn't be too unhappy if they struggled, but I think it might be Bruff who end up second from the bottom because I think Tullamore will beat Bangor and I don't think Bruff will get anything out of Omagh other than damage to their points difference, which is currently 19 better than Tullamore's.

Was just talking to a friend before lunch and he told me that Sligo's turnaround was helped by Cathal Sheridan, ex Sligo and Munster scrumhalf, who is now a sports psychologist. After performing brilliantly against Lansdowne in the All Ireland Senior Cup sf in mid January their form fell off a cliff, and apparently Cathal offered to come in and speak to the team. He did two sessions with them before the Bruff game two weeks ago, and their attitude was transformed. My mate was at the game last Saturday in Malahide and he reckoned he had never seen a more focussed Sligo side. He also agreed with Mullet that it was the best game he'd seen for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Was just looking at that, although Tullamore need a tbp win and to make up something like a 55 points difference to drag Seapoint into it. Not a huge fan of Tullamore's, so wouldn't be too unhappy if they struggled, but I think it might be Bruff who end up second from the bottom because I think Tullamore will beat Bangor and I don't think Bruff will get anything out of Omagh other than damage to their points difference, which is currently 19 better than Tullamore's.

Was just talking to a friend before lunch and he told me that Sligo's turnaround was helped by Cathal Sheridan, ex Sligo and Munster scrumhalf, who is now a sports psychologist. After performing brilliantly against Lansdowne in the All Ireland Senior Cup sf in mid January their form fell off a cliff, and apparently Cathal offered to come in and speak to the team. He did two sessions with them before the Bruff game two weeks ago, and their attitude was transformed. My mate was at the game last Saturday in Malahide and he reckoned he had never seen a more focussed Sligo side. He also agreed with Mullet that it was the best game he'd seen for a long time.

Heard similar from a lad I work with whose family is involved in Sligo. Was saying how season started great but form went off a cliff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 pm 

Risteard wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Heard similar from a lad I work with whose family is involved in Sligo. Was saying how season started great but form went off a cliff.

We were unbeaten in the AIL up until Christmas, and beat Corinthians and Galway twice, in both the Connacht Senior League and Cup, losing only one game, to Buccs in the Connacht Senior League. We then played superbly against Lansdowne in the AI Cup semi final in mid January, and then lost to all and sundry back in the league, losing 5 games out of 8. The fact that we might actually win the thing speaks volumes for the inconsistency of the other sides.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

It's in Moyross

Yeah, I know. Figured.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

We had a lad shot with a pellet gun down there many years back by some local scum. He pulled up like he'd done a hammy but no, he'd actually been shot in the leg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 pm 

:lol:
That's just bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 am 

Rumham wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

We had a lad shot with a pellet gun down there many years back by some local scum. He pulled up like he'd done a hammy but no, he'd actually been shot in the leg.

It was Marcus :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 am 

Lads - you lot have no idea the fun associated with Fitzgerald Park

Mass brawls home and away, went in once and some scum had driven a car all over their field, regualry had bus pelted with golf balls, we played a match there the time those two Ryan brothers were "kidnapped" - Guards searching the bus as we left and all

Actually as got older it the violence mellowed a bit and could at least talk to them

I played against Keith Earls and Declan Cusack in my age group - albeit Earls was playing up like 2 levels. He was, as you would imagine, a freak at underage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am 

Piece on Bective going down - find the bolded piece ridiculous.

You lads saying how incredible the Malahide/Sligo game was - and then just a division up our 36-36 game with Crescent last week was a joy to watch

Quote:
On Saturday, Bective Rangers will play their final match in the Ulster Bank League, at lest for the time being, when they host Malahide at Donnybrook.

Relegation from Division 2C means that next season they will play in the Leinster Senior League Division 1A.

It’s been something of a freefall. Relegation has been a regular bedfellow over the last four or five years as they have plummeted down the divisions, marking a downturn in fortune for a club with a proud history. Among their achievements are 12 Leinster Senior Cup wins, the last in 1962, and two Bateman Cups.

The Donnybrook club (founded in 1881) contributed players to the Lions, to Ireland, the first John Waites in 1886 and the last, former Leinster defence coach Kurt McQuilkin 110 years later.

Wales and Lions icon Cliff Morgan played for Bective Rangers in the 1954-1955 season helping them to win a Leinster Senior Cup, while working as a manager at Irish Ropes in Wicklow Town.

Five IRFU presidents, JH O’Conor (1911-1912), WG Fallon (1949-1950), Mick Cuddy (1993-1994), John Lyons (2008-2009) and Louis Magee (2014-2015) came from the Bective club while Lions, Ireland and Leinster outhalf Johnny Sexton – his father Jerry was a renowned player and administrator at the club – and Leinster and Ireland centre Rory O’Loughlin played mini-rugby in the distinctive rose, green and white jersey.

They came within touching distance of the old Division One of the All-Ireland League and for a substantial period of time were a mainstay in Division Two. But declining playing numbers, representative of the changing face of club rugby over the past 20 years, took an appreciable toll on a club that perhaps lost its identity along the way. In a sense they dwelt on who they were, took their eye off the ball, rather than recognising the need to constantly evolve in the modern club rugby environment.

Bective Rangers are not alone. Monkstown, Suttonians, DLSP, Naas and Wanderers, all suffered a similar fate in dropping to the Leinster Senior League with only the latter two managing to regain their Ulster Bank League status.

Last game
Fergal Campion will step down as head coach at the end of the season with Dave Plummer, a schoolteacher at King’s Hospital, taking over. Earlier this season Campion, roughly 10 years after playing what he thought was his last game, came out of retirement, aged 43, because the team needed him and he subsequently played three matches. On Saturday he’ll start on the bench. He’s promised his wife that it’ll be the last time he’ll lace up the boots.

A lavishly gifted outhalf, he was part of an Ireland Schools team that won a Triple Crown (1993) with Declan Kidney as coach, a member of a St Mary’s College side that won the All Ireland League (2000) and also played for Leinster. His career spanned the amateur and professional eras in rugby.

He spoke about the lack of depth and quality in playing numbers – outside of minis, Bective field U-18, U-20, first, second and third teams.

The standard in Division 2C is probably the equivalent of J2 in the old days, the commitment to the club isn’t the same, there are other attractions from a lifestyle perspective which is understandable and that includes the professional game. Some players would rather go and watch Leinster than play a junior match; different times.”

There is a belated recognition that Bective require rebranding, that they have to go back into the community, essentially the local schools of which there are many, and sell the club with all its superb playing facilities, complemented by a framework off the pitch that underscores that vision.

It’s about coaching, it’s about youth development and it’s about creating an environment where men and women, boys and girls can enjoy playing rugby, irrespective of the level.

That will be the key to regeneration. If they are to bounce back to Ulster Bank League status, Bective can’t seek refuge in the past; instead they must live in the present and build for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 am 

Maybe their problem is that the standard of their 2C team is equal to that of their old J2 team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am 

Kind of odd that they were hosing teams in division 11 the last few years then, when they turned up that is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 pm 

Lost 22-19 up in Ballymena. Playoff it is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:20 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

You lads saying how incredible the Malahide/Sligo game was - and then just a division up our 36-36 game with Crescent last week was a joy to watch

Quote:
On Saturday, Bective Rangers will play their final match in the Ulster Bank League, at lest for the time being, when they host Malahide at Donnybrook.

Relegation from Division 2C means that next season they will play in the Leinster Senior League Division 1A.

It’s been something of a freefall. Relegation has been a regular bedfellow over the last four or five years as they have plummeted down the divisions, marking a downturn in fortune for a club with a proud history. Among their achievements are 12 Leinster Senior Cup wins, the last in 1962, and two Bateman Cups.

The Donnybrook club (founded in 1881) contributed players to the Lions, to Ireland, the first John Waites in 1886 and the last, former Leinster defence coach Kurt McQuilkin 110 years later.

Wales and Lions icon Cliff Morgan played for Bective Rangers in the 1954-1955 season helping them to win a Leinster Senior Cup, while working as a manager at Irish Ropes in Wicklow Town.

Five IRFU presidents, JH O’Conor (1911-1912), WG Fallon (1949-1950), Mick Cuddy (1993-1994), John Lyons (2008-2009) and Louis Magee (2014-2015) came from the Bective club while Lions, Ireland and Leinster outhalf Johnny Sexton – his father Jerry was a renowned player and administrator at the club – and Leinster and Ireland centre Rory O’Loughlin played mini-rugby in the distinctive rose, green and white jersey.

They came within touching distance of the old Division One of the All-Ireland League and for a substantial period of time were a mainstay in Division Two. But declining playing numbers, representative of the changing face of club rugby over the past 20 years, took an appreciable toll on a club that perhaps lost its identity along the way. In a sense they dwelt on who they were, took their eye off the ball, rather than recognising the need to constantly evolve in the modern club rugby environment.

Bective Rangers are not alone. Monkstown, Suttonians, DLSP, Naas and Wanderers, all suffered a similar fate in dropping to the Leinster Senior League with only the latter two managing to regain their Ulster Bank League status.

Last game
Fergal Campion will step down as head coach at the end of the season with Dave Plummer, a schoolteacher at King’s Hospital, taking over. Earlier this season Campion, roughly 10 years after playing what he thought was his last game, came out of retirement, aged 43, because the team needed him and he subsequently played three matches. On Saturday he’ll start on the bench. He’s promised his wife that it’ll be the last time he’ll lace up the boots.

A lavishly gifted outhalf, he was part of an Ireland Schools team that won a Triple Crown (1993) with Declan Kidney as coach, a member of a St Mary’s College side that won the All Ireland League (2000) and also played for Leinster. His career spanned the amateur and professional eras in rugby.

He spoke about the lack of depth and quality in playing numbers – outside of minis, Bective field U-18, U-20, first, second and third teams.

The standard in Division 2C is probably the equivalent of J2 in the old days, the commitment to the club isn’t the same, there are other attractions from a lifestyle perspective which is understandable and that includes the professional game. Some players would rather go and watch Leinster than play a junior match; different times.”

There is a belated recognition that Bective require rebranding, that they have to go back into the community, essentially the local schools of which there are many, and sell the club with all its superb playing facilities, complemented by a framework off the pitch that underscores that vision.

It’s about coaching, it’s about youth development and it’s about creating an environment where men and women, boys and girls can enjoy playing rugby, irrespective of the level.

That will be the key to regeneration. If they are to bounce back to Ulster Bank League status, Bective can’t seek refuge in the past; instead they must live in the present and build for the future.

Did you lads have the conversion to win it last week? Heard it was an absolute belter of a game...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

Drew down in Sunday's Well. We were 22-7 up but emptied the bench at the half. So 22-22

Came 3rd

Away to Rainey next week in playoff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Quote:

Last game

Did you lads have the conversion to win it last week? Heard it was an absolute belter of a game...

We did 36-36 - touchline job.

As Good a game as I've seen in ages

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm 

You should fancy taking Rainey...

Best of luck for it.

Last edited by redderneck on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:35 pm 

Diego wrote:
Lost 22-19 up in Ballymena. Playoff it is.

Or actually we stay up on points difference. Happy days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:38 pm 

redderneck wrote:
You should fancy taking Rainey...

Best of luck for it.

Cheers

Greystones V Navan
Rainey v Barnhall

Playoff next weekend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:47 pm 

Sligo go up to 2b after beating Thomond 37-0, 6 tries to dot. It got very dangerous on and off the pitch in the last 20 minutes. Malahide just scraped a draw in Bective, so Thomond away to Omagh in the first playoff game. Huge crowd in Strandhill on a beautiful day. Fcuking yessssss!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Sligo go up to 2b after beating Thomond 37-0, 6 tries to dot. It got very dangerous on and off the pitch in the last 20 minutes. Malahide just scraped a draw in Bective, so Thomond away to Omagh in the first playoff game. Huge crowd in Strandhill on a beautiful day. Fcuking yessssss!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Explain the bolded?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm 

Diego wrote:
Lenny wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Explain the bolded?

Thomond are a bunch of filthy tinkers

They fight. I've had games where it was on pitch and off pitch

Imagine it's the same

Well done lenny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 54  Next