21. Finlay Christie,
22. Jackson Garden-Bachop,
23. Salesi Rayasi.

Match Officials

Referee: Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 1: Brendon Pickerill
Assistant Ref 2: Nick Hogan
TMO: Shane McDermott

Thought I'd get this one started, I know it's normally the prerogative of the home team supporters, but given how they've gone so far this year, I dunno if there would be a home fan who could be arsed! Enz, we all hope you're ok, and you get better soon.

Anyhow, last Friday's local derby was, as expected, the match of the round. This weeks Friday game has a less epic feel to it, but after the Hurricanes pack got monstered by the Highlanders, the Chiefs could rightly feel as if they were in with a starters chance. John Plumtree will be putting in some work on the Hurricanes tight 5 this week, and he needs to!

Plumtree has something to work on, but Colin Cooper might not even know where to start! There are bound to be a few empty seats in Hamilton this weekend, and I'm thinking a trip down the southern motorway after a Friday lunchtime finish might be on the cards for an Auckland based, wellington born and bred Hurricanes supporter. May have to cast the net around and see who's up for a road trip!

Hurricanes to win this, but it may be tighter than initial reads suggest!

Last edited by capt hurricane on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:52 pm 

I'm not sure if you should go around talking up the Chiefs calling them a 'team' right about now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 am 

The Chiefs have been dreadful all year. They were dire against the Sunwolves, and just as bad for the first 60 minutes against the Crusaders. Not sure how they turn their season around against an in-form Hurricanes team. They don't have the cattle, coach or self-belief right now. Hurricanes by 20.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:17 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
The Chiefs have been dreadful all year. They were dire against the Sunwolves, and just as bad for the first 60 minutes against the Crusaders. Not sure how they turn their season around against an in-form Hurricanes team. They don't have the cattle, coach or self-belief right now. Hurricanes by 20.

The Canes have been winning, but Friday, they won ugly, as they did against the Waratahs. The performance against the Brumbies was better, and the last 40 against the Crusaders was ok. Point is, they have a lot of potential for improvement.

The canes should win this in a canter, but stranger things have been known to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:17 am 

Im thinking this one will be closer than expected. I am worried about our ability to compete at set piece time and while the chiefs would not be able to defend against the taranaki girls under 7 team their scrum and lineout have been solid.

If we can secure enough ball i wouldn't be surprised if Ngani gets in the tries again.

Will depend on what team turns up and if we finally get a proper locking combo starting #MidgetOUT.

Also what did I do to deserve derision and scorn in the thread title, it hurts us precious it hurts us most nasty :frown: :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am 

Ogre wrote:
Im thinking this one will be closer than expected. I am worried about our ability to compete at set piece time and while the chiefs would not be able to defend against the taranaki girls under 7 team their scrum and lineout have been solid.

If we can secure enough ball i wouldn't be surprised if Ngani gets in the tries again.

Will depend on what team turns up and if we finally get a proper locking combo starting #MidgetOUT.

Also what did I do to deserve derision and scorn in the thread title, it hurts us precious it hurts us most nasty :frown: :(

Don't mess with the twins.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
I'm fine - this is all a cunning plan

Cooper Out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 am 

At the moment it's a race to see who is the worst 10 in NZ.

DMac is winning but you never count out BB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 am 

Trust me Enzedder it’s just the Chiefs that will take all the shittiest honours this year, stop trying to deflect bro :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:22 am 

Enzedder wrote:
At the moment it's a race to see who is the worst 10 in NZ.

DMac is winning but you never count out BB

BB and DMac are very similar players in style, they both rely on attributes other than good organisation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:24 am 

maxbox wrote:
Trust me Enzedder it’s just the Chiefs that will take all the shittiest honours this year, stop trying to deflect bro :?

How is pointing out that other players aren't going so well deflect from what we all know - that the Chiefs are utter poop this year?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 am 

I dunno I just like lashing out at the Chiefs and that squalid waste of space that is Hamilton in general :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 am 

maxbox wrote:
I dunno I just like lashing out at the Chiefs and that squalid waste of space that is Hamilton in general :nod:

:lol: I don't get the hatred of Hamilton - I mean Palmy exists ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:35 am 

capt hurricane wrote:

[snip]
Thought I'd get this one started, I know it's normally the prerogative of the home team supporters, but given how they've gone so far this year, I dunno if there would be a home fan who could be arsed! Enz, we all hope you're ok, and you get better soon.

Anyhow, last Friday's local derby was, as expected, the match of the round. This weeks Friday game has a less epic feel to it, but after the Hurricanes pack got monstered by the Highlanders, the Chiefs could rightly feel as if they were in with a starters chance. John Plumtree will be putting in some work on the Hurricanes tight 5 this week, and he needs to!

Plumtree has something to work on, but Colin Cooper might not even know where to start! There are bound to be a few empty seats in Hamilton this weekend, and I'm thinking a trip down the southern motorway after a Friday lunchtime finish might be on the cards for an Auckland based, wellington born and bred Hurricanes supporter. May have to cast the net around and see who's up for a road trip!

What the fudge has he been doing thus far?

The sad fact is, we're light in the lock department, literally and figuratively ans shy a decent prop. Our tight 5 recruitment has been deplorable. I have some sympathy for FB in that regard.

Be that as it may, apart from the new Saffa (I don't hold out any great hope there), that situation is basically irretrievable. So what can we do as far as damage limitation is concerned? Hail Mary's hasn't been that effective. Our best tactic so far was when we pinned the Tahs down in their territory, though I'm not sure how effective that will be against the Chiefs with their back 3 firepower.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 am 

UncleFB wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Doesn't Max survive in Whangarei? And he rubbishes Hamilton??? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:16 am 

Ted. wrote:
capt hurricane wrote:

[snip]

What the fudge has he been doing thus far?

The sad fact is, we're light in the lock department, literally and figuratively ans shy a decent prop. Our tight 5 recruitment has been deplorable. I have some sympathy for FB in that regard.

Be that as it may, apart from the new Saffa (I don't hold out any great hope there), that situation is basically irretrievable. So what can we do as far as damage limitation is concerned? Hail Mary's hasn't been that effective. Our best tactic so far was when we pinned the Tahs down in their territory, though I'm not sure how effective that will be against the Chiefs with their back 3 firepower.

Losing Toby Smith and Sam Lousi to injury was a pretty sad situation. Liam Mitchell is going ok so fat, but he's no more than a solid journeyman at best. Walker-Leaware seems to be under-utilised at the moment, I think he is better than the minutes he is currently getting. I don't have a lot of info on the new signing, Ferreira is a big unit, but his playing career and trips to Japan and Italy suggest he may not be the panacea the team needs right now. There's some great locking stock available in NZ, especially in Hawkes Bay.

The way the Chiefs are going, perhaps it's time to remind Brodie Retallick that Hawkes Bay are in the Hurricanes catchment!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 am 

Enzedder wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Doesn't Max survive in Whangarei? And he rubbishes Hamilton??? :lol: :lol:

Maaaaate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 am 

So is this fixture now known as the Uncle FB Cup, given he's been a passionate and loyal supporter of both these fine franchises?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am 

I suggest we call this the Taranaki Custody Battle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 am 

The War in Kirikiriroa.

I expect the home team to win this one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am 

Naki famously jumped ship after the Cheifs quinella and before the Hurricanes success becoming the only NZ boardie to not see their team win the competition

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
So is this fixture now known as the Uncle FB Cup, given he's been a passionate and loyal supporter of both these fine franchises?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 am 

Cullen wrote:
Naki famously jumped ship after the Cheifs quinella and before the Hurricanes success becoming the only NZ boardie to not see their team win the competition

:shock:

Wotta cunniver thing to say!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 am 

MungoMan wrote:
Cullen wrote:

Naki stuck by his province and when they left the Hurricanes franchise and joined the Chiefs, he went with them.

He did the right thing and paid a heavy price. If it's true that he may have indulged in some light hearted banter about joining a winning team at the time, that just makes his tragedy all the more poignant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am 

Cullen wrote:

Is this now to be labelled the "Shamima Begum Manoeuvre? Do we let him back? Can he claim allegiance to the Barretts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 am 

Fundamentally I don't believe that Super Rugby exists anymore, as a physical or metaphysical reality. You can't troll me about something that doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 am 

naki wrote:
Fundamentally I don't believe that Super Rugby exists anymore, as a physical or metaphysical reality. You can't troll me about something that doesn't exist.

Homeopathy helps with pain I've heard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Ogre wrote:

I must admit i view you more along these lines :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 am 

guy smiley wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Cullen wrote:

Naki stuck by his province and when they left the Hurricanes franchise and joined the Chiefs, he went with them.

He did the right thing and paid a heavy price. If it's true that he may have indulged in some light hearted banter about joining a winning team at the time, that just makes his tragedy all the more poignant.

Shamefaced admission:

I have previously trolled Naki - a prince among boredies - about this very thing. My post was cynical hypocrisy at its very worst. Sometimes I just let myself down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 am 

Cooper is looking to put D-Mack back at fullback, with options at 10 including Stephen Donald, Marty McKenzie, or Jack Debreczeni to step in to the pivot role. D-Mack at Fullback could push Alaimalo to the wing, but he is under a concussion cloud at present. In the forwards, Allardice and Luke Jacobson have completed returns from concussion standdowns are are available. ALB had a calf strain at training, but should be ok for Friday night.

A faint whiff of deckchairs on the Titanic, but there you go!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 am 

capt hurricane wrote:
Cooper is looking to put D-Mack back at fullback, with options at 10 including Stephen Donald, Marty McKenzie, or Jack Debreczeni to step in to the pivot role. D-Mack at Fullback could push Alaimalo to the wing, but he is under a concussion cloud at present. In the forwards, Allardice and Luke Jacobson have completed returns from concussion standdowns are are available. ALB had a calf strain at training, but should be ok for Friday night.

A faint whiff of deckchairs on the Titanic, but there you go!

Shit, there will be two Magpies locks playing in a Canes game. :D

As good as it will be to have DMac at 15 none of those options at 10 excite me. Maybe Jack Debreczeni will play with the calm and leadership of his lookalike Ngatai? Tiaan Falcon must be kicking himself for getting injured this season, he could have established himself at 10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 am 

MungoMan wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Cullen wrote:

Shamefaced admission:

I have previously trolled Naki - a prince among boredies - about this very thing. My post was cynical hypocrisy at its very worst. Sometimes I just let myself down.

You're forgiven, but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:38 am 

I've been bigging up Jacobson this year as a RWC bolter at 6 - unless he plays a blinder for the next 10 weeks and sneaks a chance midyear in black that won't happen (and/or a few injuries fell the others).

Hopefully he just makes it through the game first i guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 am 

Wotta cunniver thing to say![/quote]

He did the right thing and paid a heavy price. If it's true that he may have indulged in some light hearted banter about joining a winning team at the time, that just makes his tragedy all the more poignant.[/quote]
Shamefaced admission:

I have previously trolled Naki - a prince among boredies - about this very thing. My post was cynical hypocrisy at its very worst. Sometimes I just let myself down.[/quote]

You're forgiven, but not forgotten[/quote]

Lets be honest about this. Naki is a jinx and true hurricanes fans are glad hes gone. No one wants a traitor on board and its clear to see by the way the chiefs had slid down to the bottom of the NZ conference how insidious the taint of Naki is.

And we all know why he's a jinx. He borrows money and doesn't pay it back #justiceforclogs :x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
I suggest we call this the Taranaki Custody Battle.

:lol:

I'm told that a Canes' Resistance still exists in the Naki...and elsewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:00 am 

The real question is how many tries Laumape is going to score???

Chiefs are pathetic, Cooper has done his best to infiltrate and ruin the union from within.

I for one am loving this current downfall. Mackenzie is not a first five like Jordie is not an All Black.

I'm good with that exposure this early into world cup year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 am 

Ogre wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Ogre wrote:

actually, we were going for the Winklevos Twins look, but we end up passing for the Proclaimers if they were about to front a campaign for Jenny Craigs..... :blush: :blush: :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am 

Couch wrote:
The real question is how many tries Laumape is going to score???

Chiefs are pathetic, Cooper has done his best to infiltrate and ruin the union from within.

I for one am loving this current downfall. Mackenzie is not a first five like Jordie is not an All Black.

I'm good with that exposure this early into world cup year.

Rate ALB above Laumape TBH. Probably controversial but I think ALB is the ducks nuts and is better than all of Crotty, Goodhue & Laumape....saying that I rate all of them highly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Ogre wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Ogre wrote:

actually, we were going for the Winklevos Twins look, but we end up passing for the Proclaimers if they were about to front a campaign for Jenny Craigs..... :blush: :blush: :blush:

and I would walk 500 miles, and probably need to!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pm 

Latest TAB odds, Chiefs paying 3.45, Hurricanes at 1.30.