Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm 

Seeing as the original thread appears to have been locked in the Great PR Thread Lock of 2019, I bring you a new one, in part to forget the rugby.

Restaurants I have eaten in in the last few weeks :

Del Fino Camden Street : Decent Italian, some ex Marios Ranelagh staff employed.

Fade Street Social: Their tapas like food was very tasty, and judging by the by the crowds, still extremely popular

Pickle Camden Street : Excellent as always

GiGi Ranelagh : Excellent Italian run be ex partner in the Unicorn

Avalon Donnybrook : Very good, highly recommend

The Ivy Dawson Street : Much better than expected, a level above MPW across the road, full of very dressed up ladies drinking various coloured liquids.

Richmond , Richmond Street : Has a Bib Gourmand, bit really just an upmarket steak/burger restaurant.

Mulbery Gardens Donnybrook : Excellent, a tru replacement for Ernies.

Please feel free to add to, seeing as the Mods have locked the original thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 pm 

Why was the original locked?

Was in Pichet last week, it was nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:47 pm 

I'm sure we could get the thread unlocked if we asked nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 pm 

I was in La Maison last Saturday night for an early bird.
One of the nicest meals I've had in a restaurant for quite a while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Seeing as the original thread appears to have been locked in the Great PR Thread Lock of 2019, I bring you a new one, in part to forget the rugby.

Restaurants I have eaten in in the last few weeks :

Del Fino Camden Street : Decent Italian, some ex Marios Ranelagh staff employed.

Fade Street Social: Their tapas like food was very tasty, and judging by the by the crowds, still extremely popular

Pickle Camden Street : Excellent as always

GiGi Ranelagh : Excellent Italian run be ex partner in the Unicorn

Avalon Donnybrook : Very good, highly recommend

The Ivy Dawson Street : Much better than expected, a level above MPW across the road, full of very dressed up ladies drinking various coloured liquids.

Richmond , Richmond Street : Has a Bib Gourmand, bit really just an upmarket steak/burger restaurant.

Mulbery Gardens Donnybrook : Excellent, a tru replacement for Ernies.

Please feel free to add to, seeing as the Mods have locked the original thread.

Featherblade is probably better than MPW's on Dawson Street for steak. Considerably cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
I was in La Maison last Saturday night for an early bird.
One of the nicest meals I've had in a restaurant for quite a while.

One of my favourites.

Have a big family lunch there every Christmas Eve.

Was in the newly refurbished Ely Wine Bar for lunch last week. They've simplified the lunch menu a lot, but the wine list remains glorious.

The refurb itself is very good, increasing the bar space and lightening up the entire basement.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 pm 

One Pico is the best restaurant in town.

In the cheap seats Cirrillos on baggot street is really simple italian lunch place.

Lovely

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:48 pm 

waguser wrote:

In the cheap seats Cirrillos on baggot street is really simple italian lunch place.

Lovely

It’s very good. Better than l’ecrivain and RPG for me. Crazy that it doesn’t have a Michelin star.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

It’s very good. Better than l’ecrivain and RPG for me. Crazy that it doesn’t have a Michelin star.

I'm still a fan of Chapter One, I must say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm 

iarmhíman's choice for 2019:

uno mas ( sister restaurant to Etto on Aungier St)
fish shop ( Outstanding restaurant in Smithfield)
Variety Jones ( As a now resident Liberties man, this restaurant on Thomas St is outstanding)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 pm 

Ate in Locks last night and very nice it was too.

Full of Yanks for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:22 am 

Good man Cammy I spotted the other one was locked earlier when looking to post

We ate in Chapter One for the first time on Friday night and tbh left totally underwhelmed, don’t get the hype at all . All my courses were very good to excellent in fairness but her fish was overcooked
and soufflé dessert was a bit of a disaster. Service not quite what you’d expect from a Michelin Star restaurant either with the wine waiter trying to insist on ordering from him before we decided on food , our waitress dropping our plates and legging it before she got asked for anything and the dude using too much sugar in the Irish coffees and giving out to me for looking at him while making them . The whole experience felt very drawn out to be honest which shouldn’t happen if the ambiance is right and everything is on point. I don’t like the room either , very undistinguished .

Not a complete disaster but nowhere near the standards we were expecting. Unlikely I’ll be going back

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am 

Going to Bastible in a few weeks, any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am 

danthefan wrote:

Ate there in January. It's quite good if a little up their own hole. Their sister restaurant Clanbrassil House is around the corner and is good as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:29 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

Best restaurant in Dublin by a country mile IMO.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:44 pm 

waguser wrote:

Ate there recently and really liked it as well. Well done on the reboot Cammy, a few places for the list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 pm 

I look at this new re-booted thread with envy. Milanos is as good as it gets for me these days and Tribeca if I'm lucky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Ate there in January. It's quite good if a little up their own hole. Their sister restaurant Clanbrassil House is around the corner and is good as well.

I was there in the last year actually. The owner is brother of a friend of mine. I'd concur with the above

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:10 pm 

Regarding Michelin Stars, I had an interesting discussion about same with Sheerin Wilde, owner/patron of Avalon in Donnybrook after his brother Russell got a Bib Gourmande for The Richmond. Sheerin helped him turn what had been "The Gigs Place" into The Richmond, choosing wines, menus etc and was flabberghasted when it got the Michelin award within a year of opening, as he has been trying to entice the Michelin judges into his own restaurant since it opened to no effect.

What he told me is that there are no resident Michelin judges for Dublin, or Ireland for that matter, it being seen as a subset of the UK market. The Michelin judges are flown in once or twice a year relying on what the critics have or haven't written, or downright patronage, to choose which restaurants to eat in in their day or two sojourn before giving an award or three. There is, apparently, considerable cynicism in Dublin retaurant circles about the entire Michelin circus and Dublin/Ireland.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:12 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
I look at this new re-booted thread with envy. Milanos is as good as it gets for me these days and Tribeca if I'm lucky

The six o'clock on a Friday, scrubbed kids and all, crowd ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 pm 

Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:

Some of the Avoca places are great with kids, Boxy.
Quite a few places out in Monkstown that are very accommodating too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

Grano in Stoneybatter is worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:49 pm 

Had a very good steak in Brookwood on Lr Baggot street recently. The restaurant decor is a bit meh but the steaks are bloody good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
Had a very good steak in Brookwood on Lr Baggot street recently. The restaurant decor is a bit meh but the steaks are bloody good.

That's all that counts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

Is it just me that doesn’t really get it with Chapter One ? I much preferred the whole experience with L’ecrivan for fine dining in that price bracket

Probably is just be judging by the number of awards they win and trip advisor ratings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:26 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

Was in there for a steak and a dozen G&T's before the France match a couple of weeks back - not a bad spot at all.

Guilbaud is still the best restaurant in Dublin in my opinion, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:28 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

It is actually

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
danthefan wrote:

I was there in the last year actually. The owner is brother of a friend of mine. I'd concur with the above

Clanbrassil house is probably the best foodie restaurant in Dublin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:32 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

Is it just me that doesn’t really get it with Chapter One ? I much preferred the whole experience with L’ecrivan for fine dining in that price bracket

Probably is just be judging by the number of awards they win and trip advisor ratings

Just a personal preference with me insofar as I have never had a bad experience in there over the years. Likewise in L'ecrivan or Giulbauds , never had a bad meal but I find Chapter one unpretentious and I like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

Well, you've only been once and by the sounds of it had more hiccups than I've certainly experienced there. Can't think of one problem we've had there. Service and food has always been great.

Did you mention your issues? Definitely the type of place that would take it on board.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm 

It’s expectation management. Like RPG you’re expecting perfection because the prices are so high but it’s far from perfect. If you want to find faults then you will find plenty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:45 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
It’s expectation management. Like RPG you’re expecting perfection because the prices are so high but it’s far from perfect. If you want to find faults then you will find plenty.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than RPG, the latter is definitely in the expect perfection range. As TSG says, Chapter One is more down to earth and get away with it because they only charge an arm and not the leg too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

Some of the Avoca places are great with kids, Boxy.
Quite a few places out in Monkstown that are very accommodating too.

Yeah I go to Salt a bit on a Sunday morning. Very nice spot. Journal (I think) is another nice one

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:12 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Clanbrassil house is probably the best foodie restaurant in Dublin

Do you think? Like I said, I dont have much to measure it against these days but I thought it was quite good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:51 pm 

Anyone get a booking for Liath? Hens teeth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:16 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
waguser wrote:

Lovely

You can have a bad experience anywhere but if you have it somewhere like that it is worse as you have paid through the nose and so are unlikely to go back. I've been there 3 times and always had an exceptional experience, the only downside being the one time we were near a table of young Ross O'CK types but that was hardly the restaurants fault.

The Irish coffee one is strange because the whole point of the theatre aspect is you are supposed to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm 

Shit thread :thumbdown:

Original was far better

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 pm 

The other issue is that the Irish top end restaurants are far too cheap. The same level in London or Paris is at least 50% more expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm 

Yeah that’s a fair point Mr. J , errors you tend to overlook when paying <150 for a meal tend to appear worse when you’re dropping 300 or more . Having said that , and in response to Duff’s post earlier, I wasn’t expecting perfection and I don’t think I was nit picking . I was just hoping for a really good meal and a relaxing, enjoyable experience. The first part happened but the second didn’t for various reasons but mostly down to service and ambiance. Looks like I was just a bit unlucky on the night with service going by all your reports . The style and surroundings of the restaurant did nothing for me though, expect something a bit more luxurious for a Michelin Star restaurant