Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
Try Variety Jones folks.

It's excellent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27235
Sure last time I was in RPG one of the chairs was torn and there was a fire extinguisher on the floor beside the table. Also they only have one toilet which is a complete joke. The food is old fashioned and unadventurous. The service is overly fussy with too many young eager French kids tripping over themselves. Did I have a good night? You bet your arse I did.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27235
iarmhiman wrote:
Try Variety Jones folks.

It's excellent


Watching cammy ask for directions/get mugged on his way to VJ would be hilarious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
Duff Paddy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Try Variety Jones folks.

It's excellent


Watching cammy ask for directions/get mugged on his way to VJ would be hilarious


The area would be a little to edgy for the Camster alright.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34532
Duff Paddy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Try Variety Jones folks.

It's excellent


Watching cammy ask for directions/get mugged on his way to VJ would be hilarious

I am down with the kids, sure haven't I walked over to Queen Street for a meal in The Fish Shop, .....the first time.

:nod: :lol:

EDIT Thomas Street - sure that's hipster central these days, and nothing like it was when I was working on Vicar Street 25 years ago.


Last edited by camroc1 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27235
iarmhiman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Try Variety Jones folks.

It's excellent


Watching cammy ask for directions/get mugged on his way to VJ would be hilarious


The area would be a little to edgy for the Camster alright.


He’d make it as far as Bastible but any further and he might be in trouble. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who eats out as often as cammy he must a right fat fudge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6609
Duff Paddy wrote:
Anyone get a booking for Liath? Hens teeth


Is that the place that used to be owned by one of the guys who now owns Canteen?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34532
Leinsterman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Anyone get a booking for Liath? Hens teeth


Is that the place that used to be owned by one of the guys who now owns Canteen?

'Twas Heron and Grey and sat about 6 in a shed in Blackrock Market.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34532
Had lunch in Mr. Fox in Parnell Square last week and was very impressed. Need to organise a visit to the Gate to try their dinner menu ! Was in Rolys pre match on Saturday and it's the same as ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6609
Anyone been to Glover's Alley? Thinking of going in a few weeks.
Toss up between it and Dax.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16581
Is it the norm these days that you have 3 seatings in a restaurant on an evening? Was in a restaurant Saturday and after 1hr 50 mins was handed my coat and scarf.


I was slightly perturbed....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49762
nardol wrote:
Is it the norm these days that you have 3 seatings in a restaurant on an evening? Was in a restaurant Saturday and after 1hr 50 mins was handed my coat and scarf.


I was slightly perturbed....


It would be unusual not to have told you.

3 in a night is tight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
Anyone try Lucky Tortoise on Aungier st.

Specialises in Dim Dum and Taiwanese Bao.

Catherine Cleary wrote a review on the Irish Times about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34532
iarmhiman wrote:
Anyone try Lucky Tortoise on Aungier st.

Specialises in Dim Dum and Taiwanese Bao.

Catherine Cleary wrote a review on the Irish Times about it.

Ate in it when it was a pop up in Ranelagh and it was good. It was BYO then so had a couple of decent bottles to wash it down !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20331
anonymous_joe wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

Grano in Stoneybatter is worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.


Ate in Grano at the weekend, it was nice but I wasn't blown away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

Grano in Stoneybatter is worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.


Ate in Grano at the weekend, it was nice but I wasn't blown away.


Was it expensive? I see it follows the Italian courses on the A La Carte


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

Grano in Stoneybatter is worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.


Ate in Grano at the weekend, it was nice but I wasn't blown away.


Double post


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20331
iarmhiman wrote:
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Mamma Mia
Grattan Street

Real Italian food.

Grano in Stoneybatter is worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.


Ate in Grano at the weekend, it was nice but I wasn't blown away.


Was it expensive? I see it follows the Italian courses on the A La Carte


Not really. 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 1 glass of wine was 65-70 range.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13030
I must say I really enjoyed it. Lovely Italian food, nothing new, but everything done well.

Good wine list, too.

But each to their own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 15750
iarmhiman wrote:
Anyone try Lucky Tortoise on Aungier st.

Specialises in Dim Dum and Taiwanese Bao.

Catherine Cleary wrote a review on the Irish Times about it.

Bao is sangers with shit bread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5925
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces
Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
I look at this new re-booted thread with envy. Milanos is as good as it gets for me these days and Tribeca if I'm lucky


Some of the Avoca places are great with kids, Boxy.
Quite a few places out in Monkstown that are very accommodating too.

Avoid cinnamon in Monkstown despite the kids promo; worst service I've ever come across; for lunch with kids head 2 doors down: hard to beat cafe du journal. If you manage to offload the kids Bresson in Monkstown is very good, t that's amore also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
Great news for Strandhill on the food front. Apparently Neven Maguire has bought The Drafthouse, a pub on the seafront that has failed spectacularly under a number of owners and tenants, and plans to set up a new restaurant. It would be a huge boost for the village, though going on today it doesn’t really need it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6609
ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
I look at this new re-booted thread with envy. Milanos is as good as it gets for me these days and Tribeca if I'm lucky


Some of the Avoca places are great with kids, Boxy.
Quite a few places out in Monkstown that are very accommodating too.

Avoid cinnamon in Monkstown despite the kids promo; worst service I've ever come across; for lunch with kids head 2 doors down: hard to beat cafe du journal. If you manage to offload the kids Bresson in Monkstown is very good, t that's amore also



Very interesting about Cinnamon. Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid
Ended up strolling out to Dalkey yesterday and had a very nice lunch and some vino in Grapevine in Dalkey. Very enjoyable.

Had dinner last night in Glover's Alley. Service was fantastic and I thought the food was top notch too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
Results in folks:

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2019/ ... -revealed/

Quote:
Read the full list of winners below!

Best Restaurant – Sponsored by Tindal Wine Merchants

All-Ireland: Loam Restaurant
Dublin: Dax Restaurant
Connacht Loam Restaurant
Leinster: Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill
Munster: Wild Honey Inn
Ulster: OX
Best Chef – Sponsored by Nisbets

Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
All-Ireland: Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
Dublin: Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
Connacht Barry Ralph of House of Plates
Leinster: Deirdre Adamson of The Fatted Calf
Munster: Peter Everett of Everett's Restaurant
Ulster: Chris McGowan of Wine and Brine
Best Restaurant Manager – AIB Merchant Services

All-Ireland: Eva Ivanova of Sage Restaurant
Dublin: Denise McBrien of The Old Spot
Connacht Eva Ivanova of Sage Restaurant
Leinster: Edwina Hynes of La Côte Seafood Restaurant
Munster: John Edward Joyce of The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge
Ulster: Saul McConnell of NOBLE.
Pub of the Year – Sponsored by Jameson Caskmates

Doheny and Nesbitt, winner of Pub of the Year
All-Ireland: Doheny and Nesbitt
Dublin: Doheny and Nesbitt
Connacht: J Doherty's
Leinster: Hamilton's Pub
Munster: Levis Corner House
Ulster: Coach House & Olde Bar
Best Hotel and Guesthouse Restaurant – Sponsored by BWG Food Service

All-Ireland: Gregans Castle Hotel
Dublin: The Saddle Room at The Shelbourne Hotel
Connacht: West Restaurant at the Twelve Hotel
Leinster: Brabazon Restaurant at Tankardstown House
Munster: Gregans Castle Hotel
Ulster: Newforge House
Best Newcomer – Sponsored by mytaxi Hospitality

All-Ireland: Everett's Restaurant
Dublin: Uno Mas
Connacht: Passione by the Slice
Leinster: Lily's On Church Street
Munster: Everett's Restaurant
Ulster: Hara
Best Gastro Pub – Sponsored by Elavon

All-Ireland: The Old Spot
Dublin: The Old Spot
Connacht: Bar One
Leinster: The Ballymore Inn
Munster: Mikey Ryan’s Bar and Kitchen
Ulster: Clenaghans
Best Customer Service – Sponsored by Lockton

All-Ireland: The Muddlers Club
Dublin: Luna
Connacht: Park House Hotel
Leinster: LENNONS @ Visual
Munster: Ballyvolane House
Ulster: The Muddlers Club
Best Casual Dining – Sponsored by Just Eat

All-Ireland: 777
Dublin: 777
Connacht: HOOKED Sligo
Leinster:Truffles Restaurant and Wine Bar
Munster: Bodega
Ulster: The Olde Glen Bar, Restaurant and Tea Room
Best Wine Experience – Sponsored by Gilbeys with Bibendum

All-Ireland: Green Man Wines
Dublin: Green Man Wines
Connacht: Le Petit Pois
Leinster: Barrows Keep
Munster: The Black Pig
Ulster: OX
Best Kids Size Me – Sponsored by BWG Food Service

All-Ireland: Old Street Restaurant
Dublin: Old Street Restaurant
Connacht: Shells Seaside Bakery and Café
Leinster: Tiffin by Sunil
Munster: 9 Café
Ulster: Oak Room Restaurant
Best World Cuisine – Sponsored by HiUp powered by Olive Group

All-Ireland: 3 Leaves
Dublin: 3 Leaves
Connacht: Spice India
Leinster: Pink Salt Indian Restaurant
Munster: Iyer's
Ulster: Tuk Tuk Asian Bistro
Best Café – Sponsored by Illy

All-Ireland: Connemara Greenway Café & Restaurant
Dublin: Two Pups
Connacht: Connemara Greenway Café & Restaurant
Leinster: Knockdrinna Farm Shop & Artisan Café
Munster: Good Day Deli
Ulster: Dinkin's Home Bakery & Café
Best Free From – Sponsored by Peroni Nastro Azzurro Gluten Free

All-Ireland: GROW HQ
Dublin: Urbanity
Connacht: Drumanilra Farm Kitchen
Leinster: Zucchini's Restaurant
Munster: GROW HQ
Ulster: The Olde Post Inn
Local Food Hero – Sponsored by Rewarding Times

All-Ireland: Seán Hussey of Hussey & Sons Fruit & Veg
Best Emerging Irish Cuisine – Sponsored by Odaios

All-Ireland: 35 Restaurant
Dublin: Forest & Marcy
Connacht: An Port Mór Restaurant
Leinster: Thyme Restaurant
Munster: 35 Restaurant
Ulster: Wine and Brine
Best Digital Marketing – Sponsored by Digital Restaurant

All-Ireland: Michael’s Mount Merrion
Best Cookery School – Sponsored by Avonmore
All-Ireland: The Neven Maguire Cookery School
Best Private Dining & Club Restaurant – Sponsored by Wild Irish Game

All-Ireland: Stephens Green Hibernian Club
Best Seafood Experience – Sponsored by Musgrave Market Place

All-Ireland: Fish Shop, Benburb Street


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10705
Location: Best country in the world.
There are three certainties in life. Tax, death and the fact that Dax is nowhere near the best restaurant in Dublin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32848
Location: Dublin
I've eaten in Fish Shop Smithfield. Outstanding.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
iarmhiman wrote:
Results in folks:

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2019/ ... -revealed/

Quote:
Read the full list of winners below!

Best Restaurant – Sponsored by Tindal Wine Merchants

All-Ireland: Loam Restaurant
Dublin: Dax Restaurant
Connacht Loam Restaurant
Leinster: Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill
Munster: Wild Honey Inn
Ulster: OX
Best Chef – Sponsored by Nisbets

Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
All-Ireland: Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
Dublin: Graham Neville of Dax Restaurant
Connacht Barry Ralph of House of Plates
Leinster: Deirdre Adamson of The Fatted Calf
Munster: Peter Everett of Everett's Restaurant
Ulster: Chris McGowan of Wine and Brine
Best Restaurant Manager – AIB Merchant Services

All-Ireland: Eva Ivanova of Sage Restaurant
Dublin: Denise McBrien of The Old Spot
Connacht Eva Ivanova of Sage Restaurant
Leinster: Edwina Hynes of La Côte Seafood Restaurant
Munster: John Edward Joyce of The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge
Ulster: Saul McConnell of NOBLE.
Pub of the Year – Sponsored by Jameson Caskmates

Doheny and Nesbitt, winner of Pub of the Year
All-Ireland: Doheny and Nesbitt
Dublin: Doheny and Nesbitt
Connacht: J Doherty's
Leinster: Hamilton's Pub
Munster: Levis Corner House
Ulster: Coach House & Olde Bar
Best Hotel and Guesthouse Restaurant – Sponsored by BWG Food Service

All-Ireland: Gregans Castle Hotel
Dublin: The Saddle Room at The Shelbourne Hotel
Connacht: West Restaurant at the Twelve Hotel
Leinster: Brabazon Restaurant at Tankardstown House
Munster: Gregans Castle Hotel
Ulster: Newforge House
Best Newcomer – Sponsored by mytaxi Hospitality

All-Ireland: Everett's Restaurant
Dublin: Uno Mas
Connacht: Passione by the Slice
Leinster: Lily's On Church Street
Munster: Everett's Restaurant
Ulster: Hara
Best Gastro Pub – Sponsored by Elavon

All-Ireland: The Old Spot
Dublin: The Old Spot
Connacht: Bar One
Leinster: The Ballymore Inn
Munster: Mikey Ryan’s Bar and Kitchen
Ulster: Clenaghans
Best Customer Service – Sponsored by Lockton

All-Ireland: The Muddlers Club
Dublin: Luna
Connacht: Park House Hotel
Leinster: LENNONS @ Visual
Munster: Ballyvolane House
Ulster: The Muddlers Club
Best Casual Dining – Sponsored by Just Eat

All-Ireland: 777
Dublin: 777
Connacht: HOOKED Sligo
Leinster:Truffles Restaurant and Wine Bar
Munster: Bodega
Ulster: The Olde Glen Bar, Restaurant and Tea Room
Best Wine Experience – Sponsored by Gilbeys with Bibendum

All-Ireland: Green Man Wines
Dublin: Green Man Wines
Connacht: Le Petit Pois
Leinster: Barrows Keep
Munster: The Black Pig
Ulster: OX
Best Kids Size Me – Sponsored by BWG Food Service

All-Ireland: Old Street Restaurant
Dublin: Old Street Restaurant
Connacht: Shells Seaside Bakery and Café
Leinster: Tiffin by Sunil
Munster: 9 Café
Ulster: Oak Room Restaurant
Best World Cuisine – Sponsored by HiUp powered by Olive Group

All-Ireland: 3 Leaves
Dublin: 3 Leaves
Connacht: Spice India
Leinster: Pink Salt Indian Restaurant
Munster: Iyer's
Ulster: Tuk Tuk Asian Bistro
Best Café – Sponsored by Illy

All-Ireland: Connemara Greenway Café & Restaurant
Dublin: Two Pups
Connacht: Connemara Greenway Café & Restaurant
Leinster: Knockdrinna Farm Shop & Artisan Café
Munster: Good Day Deli
Ulster: Dinkin's Home Bakery & Café
Best Free From – Sponsored by Peroni Nastro Azzurro Gluten Free

All-Ireland: GROW HQ
Dublin: Urbanity
Connacht: Drumanilra Farm Kitchen
Leinster: Zucchini's Restaurant
Munster: GROW HQ
Ulster: The Olde Post Inn
Local Food Hero – Sponsored by Rewarding Times

All-Ireland: Seán Hussey of Hussey & Sons Fruit & Veg
Best Emerging Irish Cuisine – Sponsored by Odaios

All-Ireland: 35 Restaurant
Dublin: Forest & Marcy
Connacht: An Port Mór Restaurant
Leinster: Thyme Restaurant
Munster: 35 Restaurant
Ulster: Wine and Brine
Best Digital Marketing – Sponsored by Digital Restaurant

All-Ireland: Michael’s Mount Merrion
Best Cookery School – Sponsored by Avonmore
All-Ireland: The Neven Maguire Cookery School
Best Private Dining & Club Restaurant – Sponsored by Wild Irish Game

All-Ireland: Stephens Green Hibernian Club
Best Seafood Experience – Sponsored by Musgrave Market Place

All-Ireland: Fish Shop, Benburb Street


Was in Clare two weeks ago, staying in Gregans Castle, and the food there was superb, so not surprised to see it winning its award. Also ate one night in the Wild Honey Inn, and while the grub was very good it wasn’t imo, and in the opinion of the people we ate with, exceptional. The menu in Gregans Castle was €75, for which you got 5 courses, including a superb cheese board, plus amuse bouche and petit four which were practically a dessert in themselves. Everything was beautifully cooked, with great ingredients, and excellent service, and felt like good value.

The Wild Honey Inn in contrast had only a 3 course set menu, priced at €60, with a only 4 choices for each course, and a cheese selection from which you picked 3 slivers of what was admittedly good cheese. Coffee was another €4, and our plates were whisked away at the end and the staff started clearing up around us and the other couple of occupied tables. At 9.45 ffs. The food was beautifully cooked but as I said was not exceptional, and I’m very surprised that it won Munsters best restaurant.

Also stopped at Linnanes in New Quay for an open crab sandwich on the way down following Redders recommendation on the Clare thread. Stunning setting and outstanding food. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27235
The Sun God wrote:
There are three certainties in life. Tax, death and the fact that Dax is nowhere near the best restaurant in Dublin.


It’s nowhere near it. Decent restaurant but just okay for the money, bang average


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
The Sun God wrote:
There are three certainties in life. Tax, death and the fact that Dax is nowhere near the best restaurant in Dublin.


A few shockers in there, with Hooked in Sligo, which won best casual dining in Connacht, standing out like a sore thumb. It not even the best restaurant, casual or otherwise, on its street, and might actually be the worst in a generally mediocre lot. It’s open for the past couple of years, and coincidentally is owned by a recent President of the Restaurant Association of Ireland, and I know no one who went back after their first visit.

The judges did redeem themselves somewhat by selecting Passione by the Slice as best newcomer in Connacht. It’s a tiny grotty looking Italian place with a limited menu, and everything on the menu is excellent. All food, including breads, pasta and sauces, is produced on site, and is stupidly cheap. It’s far from fine dining but if you want authentic, freshly prepared, Italian food you’d be hard pressed to beat this place in terms of quality and value.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10031
Agree about Gregans had lunch there and will be back,
Linnanes if I recall did not have a varied menu last time, but I could be mixing it up with another spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
lorcanoworms wrote:
Agree about Gregans had lunch there and will be back,
Linnanes if I recall did not have a varied menu last time, but I could be mixing it up with another spot.


Tbh I didn’t really look much past the open crab sandwich when I got the lunch menu in Linnanes, and didn’t pay much attention to the other choices, so can’t really comment. I don’t generally mind a limited menu, especially at lunchtime, as long as what’s on it is good. And the crab was very good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10705
Location: Best country in the world.
Lenny wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
There are three certainties in life. Tax, death and the fact that Dax is nowhere near the best restaurant in Dublin.


A few shockers in there, with Hooked in Sligo, which won best casual dining in Connacht, standing out like a sore thumb. It not even the best restaurant, casual or otherwise, on its street, and might actually be the worst in a generally mediocre lot. It’s open for the past couple of years, and coincidentally is owned by a recent President of the Restaurant Association of Ireland, and I know no one who went back after their first visit.

The judges did redeem themselves somewhat by selecting Passione by the Slice as best newcomer in Connacht. It’s a tiny grotty looking Italian place with a limited menu, and everything on the menu is excellent. All food, including breads, pasta and sauces, is produced on site, and is stupidly cheap. It’s far from fine dining but if you want authentic, freshly prepared, Italian food you’d be hard pressed to beat this place in terms of quality and value.


I would love to know the criteria for whoever judges these establishments . Loam is Galway is a lovely little restaurant with a competitively priced wine list, compared to Dax who pick a number and then double it but in my humble opinion it's not the best restaurant in the Country.... not even close.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16230
There's an argument that it's not even the best restaurant on Pembroke Street.

Ate in both the Global Village and the Chart House last week - some top class fare being dished up in Dingle these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10705
Location: Best country in the world.
ZappaMan wrote:
There's an argument that it's not even the best restaurant on Pembroke Street.

Ate in both the Global Village and the Chart House last week - some top class fare being dished up in Dingle these days.

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
ZappaMan wrote:
There's an argument that it's not even the best restaurant on Pembroke Street.

Ate in both the Global Village and the Chart House last week - some top class fare being dished up in Dingle these days.


Recommended Global Villageto afriend acouple of week’s ago. Superb food.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10031
Lenny wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Agree about Gregans had lunch there and will be back,
Linnanes if I recall did not have a varied menu last time, but I could be mixing it up with another spot.


Tbh I didn’t really look much past the open crab sandwich when I got the lunch menu in Linnanes, and didn’t pay much attention to the other choices, so can’t really comment. I don’t generally mind a limited menu, especially at lunchtime, as long as what’s on it is good. And the crab was very good.

Both me and the mrs got the wrong spot, great seafood in Linnanes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
Five Guys is shite lads.

What's the craic with Southsiders ffs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34532
Was in The Old Spot last Saturday, and very good it was as well if bursting at the seams a bit.

I hadn't realised it has a Bib Gourmande.

Booking essential.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24951
Location: Chickenrunning...
Quote:
Doheny and Nesbitt, winner of Pub of the Year
All-Ireland: Doheny and Nesbitt


The best pub in Ireland serves Heineken on tap?? Man, you guys have changed. :((


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
We think the point of a pub is to get locked and have the craic while singing songs about the patriot dead.

Not sitting around with a f ucking candle on the table discussing wankers beers brewed by two lads in their back garden.

Glad I could clear that up.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, camroc1, Chilli, Fat Old Git, flaggETERNAL, Gavin Duffy, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, Keith, marcus1, my 2 cents, Punter15, RoseGarden, rugga., Sonny Blount, sweepem, TheSmurf, Toro and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group