Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 am 

First new signing...

KARL TUINUKUAFE, new All Black prop. Good signing!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12095750

Quote:
The Blues and New Zealand Rugby today announced that All Black and North Harbour prop Karl Tu'inukuafe will join the Super Rugby club for the next three years.

25-year-old Tu'inukuafe has enjoyed a meteoric rise in rugby since his debut for North Harbour in 2015. His advancement in the 2017 Mitre 10 Cup under coach Tom Coventry and form as a replacement for the Chiefs led to his selection for the All Blacks this year.

"It is exciting for my family and me to be coming home. I think we have a strong squad for next year. I have my Harbour coach Tom Coventry coming in to take the forwards and I get to stay in the region," said Tu'inukuafe.

"The set-up at the Blues looks great and I am going to enjoy being part of this club and hopefully I can do my part in helping the club do well."

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.
Tu'inukuafe has struck up a strong relationship with Blues prop Ofa Tuungafasi in the All Blacks and is keen to be part of a maturing forward pack at the Blues, he said.

"Karl has been one of the real finds in New Zealand rugby in the last couple of years, and will only get better and better," said Blues coach Tana Umaga.

"He will be a really strong addition to our pack and gives us real depth in our front row with the likes of Ofa and Alex Hodgman. While Karl is comparatively new to the sport at this level, he will provide leadership to our young front rowers emerging in the club."

All Blacks Head Coach Steve Hansen said Tu'inukuafe's recommitment to New Zealand was fantastic news for New Zealand Rugby.

"Big Karl really impressed us in his first campaign with the All Blacks in June. He's a humble man and very low-key, but he went about his work in a very professional manner. We all saw how destructive he can be as a scrummager but he's also nailing his other core roles, he's eager to learn and he made great strides in the black jersey. We look forward to working with Karl in the future."

Tu'inukuafe has enjoyed his time at Harbour and wanted to stay loyal to the Mitre 10 Cup side that gave him his opportunity, and the coaching support he received there.

North Harbour CEO David Gibson said: "We are thrilled how it has worked out for Karl and his family. The 2018 season has been huge for Karl and his rise from Takapuna Rugby Club to the All Blacks has been amazing to watch. Our community is delighted to have played some part in that journey. We know Karl will continue to be a massive part of Harbour, both on and off the field, over the next few seasons."

The former Wesley College player moved to North Harbour in 2015 and also had a stint for Narbonne in France. In this time the former security guard shed over 35kgs to impress in Harbour's successful 2017 season that saw them make the semifinal in the Mitre 10 Cup.

He was called into the Chiefs pre-season as a replacement, before his call up to the All Blacks, with a debut off the bench against France in June.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:58 am 

I replied to this thread because it seemed lonely and unloved.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 am 

Alright, we get it. You are bored at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:23 am 

Shrekles wrote:
Alright, we get it. You are bored at work.

Don't be a h8ter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:05 am 

It's strange to think that some teams are thinking of next year already and have been for a number of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 am 

Speed Racer wrote:
I replied to this thread because it seemed lonely and unloved.

Thank you. Bring some friends next time. If they are good, we'll sign them up too!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:50 am 

Optimism for next season after a failed season. Where have I heard that before in the Auckland sporting world...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 pm 

Optimism arises from:

1. Signing of Leon MacDonald

2. Signing of Tom Coventry

3. Signing of Big Karl Tu'inukuafe

A song is being readied for his first scrum in combat. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:33 am 

Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

oh let it not be another , in the seemingly never-ending , false dawns. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 am 

Vaea Fifita, come to the Blues my friend. We'll let you play wherever you want to play.

Quote:
Vaea Fifita has opened up about his All Black axing, claiming he has been left in the dark over the real reason for his omission from the Rugby Championship squad.

The rampant lock/loose forward has told Stuff he is confused and disappointed, but determined to play his way back into the All Blacks via the Wellington NPC side.

Fifita emphasised he had no gripes with All Blacks coach Steve Hansen and understands coaches have every right to pick who they want.

And his comments make it fairly clear he actually feels more let down by the Hurricanes, who have continued to use him as a lock even though blindside flanker is his real position and the one Hansen wants him to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.
But the situation has become confused, with the All Blacks retaining newcomer Jackson Hemopo, a Highlanders lock the All Blacks will use as a blindside flanker.

"He told me that (Fifita needed to be playing at blindside flanker)," Fifita said.

"But when I saw he got interviewed and he said he signed Hemopo to six, not lock, I kind of feel like he's not telling me the truth. But that's life."

Fifita has told the Hurricanes he wants to play as a flanker and, in line with Hansen's thinking, has no interest in playing at lock.

Fifita said: "I like six because I can use my athleticism to do what I can do on the outside, rather than just stay tight and do the hard work like running into a brick wall and getting your body tired. Then you can't do anything.

"Especially if you have a 10 - 15 second scrum. When you stand up the ball is out wide and you have to run, but when you stand up after that scrum you feel like you're knocked out and you have to go and do the hard work.

"They (Hurricanes) asked me and I told them I don't enjoy playing lock. I prefer six, but I know I can't play six because Brad (captain Brad Shields) is there."

Fifita's prospects went backwards this year. He ended up on the bench behind starting Hurricanes locks Sam Lousi, the former Warriors league forward, and Michael Fatialofa. He also had injury and concussion issues.

Both Shields and Fatialofa are heading overseas, which could help or hinder Tonga-raised Fifita's desire to play as a blindside flanker.

Fifita said: "This has probably been the hardest year for me playing Super, because I had a few injuries and then I come back and only play for like 30 minutes off the bench or 25.

"You're still unfit because you're coming back from injury and you need to play 80 minutes every week to get fit and get up to the speed of the game."

Fifita made his test debut last year, when his brilliant 60-metre try against Argentina in New Plymouth confirmed his amazing athletic talent. He was used as a replacement in two tests against France this season, taking his tally to seven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 am 

Auckman wrote:
Blues Optimistic 2019 Season Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLrsn9ZsiQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Blues Optimistic 2019 Season Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLrsn9ZsiQ

Nah, prefer this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M628DuIEZ_o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am 

Quote:

Fifita said: "I like six because I can use my athleticism to do what I can do on the outside, rather than just stay tight and do the hard work like running into a brick wall and getting your body tired. Then you can't do anything.

"Especially if you have a 10 - 15 second scrum. When you stand up the ball is out wide and you have to run, but when you stand up after that scrum you feel like you're knocked out and you have to go and do the hard work.

oh dear :blush: :blush:

Openly admitting laziness is rare but why the fudge would you want someone who prefers showboating to doing hard work?

I also seem to recall Sam Whitelock breaking the line and sidestepping the cover defence despite putting in the hard yards all game . I think it was against the Reds.

edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsoAIGPBmVE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 am 

Richie McCaw wrote:
Quote:

Openly admitting laziness is rare but why the fudge would you want someone who prefers showboating to doing hard work?

I also seem to recall Sam Whitelock breaking the line and sidestepping the cover defence despite putting in the hard yards all game . I think it was against the Reds.

Would you play alongside him given what he's said here Richie?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 am 

Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

5 -get rid of umaga as head coach- until this is done I can’t see any major improvement

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:59 am 

brat wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

5 -get rid of umaga as head coach- until this is done I can’t see any major improvement

4 - ???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:00 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
brat wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

4 - ???

4- sign a decent 1st58

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 am 

Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

A Jafa arse like a bad smell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Richie McCaw wrote:
Quote:

Would you play alongside him given what he's said here Richie?

id tell him not to be a plum

Post subject: Great Blues News
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:15 am 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12116975

Last edited by Waka Nathan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:16 am 

Damn, was hoping for a Canadian billionaire to suddenly love rugby and invest in XVS here in Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:40 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Damn, was hoping for a Canadian billionaire to suddenly love rugby and invest in XVS here in Canada.

You should pitch that to Dragon's Den!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 am 

So I'm finding out about what's been going on, and am unsurprised people haven't wanted to comment about the Auckland situation. It's hard for me to separate noise from signal as I'm not privy to the gossip, but I'm getting the impression that, in concert with Dalton the corporate investors in the Blues, with 60% of the vote and 40% of the stock have been, what, controversial?

From when things got really bad. New Zealand rugby boss Steve Tew called in to sort out boardroom stoush at Blues

To now when things may have been sorted in some meaningful way. Phil Gifford: New Zealand Rugby needs to step in to save rugby in Auckland

Happy to hear the real story...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:17 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

I would pay to see Rees do that, would be hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 am 

usermame wrote:
So I'm finding out about what's been going on, and am unsurprised people haven't wanted to comment about the Auckland situation. It's hard for me to separate noise from signal as I'm not privy to the gossip, but I'm getting the impression that, in concert with Dalton the corporate investors in the Blues, with 60% of the vote and 40% of the stock have been, what, controversial?

From when things got really bad. New Zealand rugby boss Steve Tew called in to sort out boardroom stoush at Blues

To now when things may have been sorted in some meaningful way. Phil Gifford: New Zealand Rugby needs to step in to save rugby in Auckland

There is not much of a story? There has been infighting between factions within Auckland/Blues rugby for years. The Blues won't even let the Auckland NPC team train on their ground. It's pathetic. Good on the NZRU for taking some action on it.

One good thing about yet another woeful season is that influential people seem to have finally had enough and are doing something about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:39 am 

usermame wrote:

NZR failed to apply the Fit and Proper Person test on the Blues private investor. Everyone who had ever been in business in Auckland knew he was a shyster. He had even been convicted and fined (several million dollars) for reckless trading. He and his cronies knew squat about rugby but had outsized voting power on the board. They appointed a complete idiot as CEO--someone who had previously nearly bankrupted Hamilton City. No sporting club can operate with people like that around. The board was almost entirely made up of non rugby, or even sporting, people. Other NZ Super rugby franchises have private investors; they are obviously cut from different cloth.

The estimable Maurice Trapp, the former Auckland rugby stalwart, is now Chairman of NZR. You can imagine his anguish at what has been going on. It looks like he and Tew decided that drastic action had to be taken.

Post subject: Re: Great Blues News
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 am 

Thanks. Where did Dalton stand in that clusterfuck?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 am 

usermame wrote:
Thanks. Where did Dalton stand in that clusterfuck?

Hiding in the shadows wringing his hands. At one stage he was CEO for both Auckland and the Blues. He clung on to this sinecure for as long as he possibly could. The region is still trying to sort out the mess he left. He's Ces Blazey reincarnated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 am 

Waka Nathan wrote:
At one stage he was CEO for both Auckland and the Blues.
I picked that up from the articles. ¡Ay, caramba!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 am 

They need to get a white head coach like the Hurricanes did too lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 am 

Edgy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:56 am 

Was hoping they might have discovered the lost recordings, photo albums and detailed diaries of Robert Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:56 am 

Peaches wrote:

They had one his record was worse than the brown coaches that preceded and followed him.

Have a month for racism too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:24 am 

Womack wrote:
Was hoping they might have discovered the lost recordings, photo albums and detailed diaries of Robert Johnson

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:51 am 

Womack wrote:

The legacy of Robert Johnson lives on in the minds of hapless Blues supporters.

Every coach for the past 10 years has this as their theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEsQikthT3Q

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:01 am 

Nope, it's this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPeX6BOVek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

I would pay to see Rees do that, would be hilarious.

:lol: ... imagine! Firstly, they'd probably all say they've never seen the sport and then one of them would be invited down to do an awkward run/tackle on a gym mat with a current 'star' player that no one outside of us saddos has heard of.

I imagine his interest, though, would be to fund a pro team and import good players from overseas rather than spread it to grassroots development. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 am 

blackblackblack wrote:
Peaches wrote:

They had one his record was worse than the brown coaches that preceded and followed him.

Have a month for racism too.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:07 pm 

Woke up this morning?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Optimism arises from:

A Jafa arse like a bad smell

refer to your avatar, peasant!