It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 am 

mdaclarke wrote:
handyman wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Steyn to return to Bloemfontein

Two-time World Cup-winner Frans Steyn has confirmed he will return to South Africa in January 2020.

The 32-year-old Steyn has been plying his trade abroad since 2014, currently playing for French giants Montpellier.

Steyn has now confirmed to Volksblad that he is relocating to South Africa at the end of January, with the aim of returning to the Free State along with wife Linca and their three daughters to focus on his farming business.

‘We want to raise our children here because we want them to experience the same upbringing my wife and I had when we grew up.’

Despite his intention to focus on his farming interests, Steyn had purchased a house in Bloemfontein but it remains unclear whether he will sign a contract to play for the Cheetahs in the PRO14.

Steyn departs to France for the final time this coming weekend before his homecoming in a couple of months’ time.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/steyn-to-return-to-bloemfontein/

There are some rumours that the Lions are hoping to sign him

Every saffer team will be looking to sign him.

Surely he will want to play close to his farm?

If that's what he wants he should retire. Away games in the CC can take you away from home for a month at least not to mention playing in the Pro14 touring Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 am 

handyman wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
handyman wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Steyn to return to Bloemfontein

Two-time World Cup-winner Frans Steyn has confirmed he will return to South Africa in January 2020.

The 32-year-old Steyn has been plying his trade abroad since 2014, currently playing for French giants Montpellier.

Steyn has now confirmed to Volksblad that he is relocating to South Africa at the end of January, with the aim of returning to the Free State along with wife Linca and their three daughters to focus on his farming business.

‘We want to raise our children here because we want them to experience the same upbringing my wife and I had when we grew up.’

Despite his intention to focus on his farming interests, Steyn had purchased a house in Bloemfontein but it remains unclear whether he will sign a contract to play for the Cheetahs in the PRO14.

Steyn departs to France for the final time this coming weekend before his homecoming in a couple of months’ time.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/steyn-to-return-to-bloemfontein/

There are some rumours that the Lions are hoping to sign him

Every saffer team will be looking to sign him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 am 

Average Joe wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

If that's what he wants he should retire. Away games in the CC can take you away from home for a month at least not to mention playing in the Pro14 touring Europe.

In the amateur era the farmers used to walk to the training sessions ... or ride in their 4 x 4s so whats the issue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Frans Steyn says he does not know what his Springbok future is.

The 32-year-old is the second South African after Os du Randt to have won two Rugby World Cups having lifted the Webb Ellis Cup in 2007 under Jake White and then again in 2019 under Rassie Erasmus.

"I don't know ... I'll have to wait and see," was his response when asked by Sport24 on Monday if he would be seen in a Springbok jersey again.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/frans-steyn-on-springbok-future-lets-wait-and-see-20191111

Quote:

Not sure I really understand here, our season will finish in june 2020. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am 

jos wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:

The 32-year-old is the second South African after Os du Randt to have won two Rugby World Cups having lifted the Webb Ellis Cup in 2007 under Jake White and then again in 2019 under Rassie Erasmus.

"I don't know ... I'll have to wait and see," was his response when asked by Sport24 on Monday if he would be seen in a Springbok jersey again.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/frans-steyn-on-springbok-future-lets-wait-and-see-20191111

Quote:

Another site says June

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/frans-steyn-to-return-to-bloemfontein-in-2020-20191114

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
If he wants to continue his career and play for the Boks then he needs to play for a top team. Either the Cheetahs or Bulls or Lions.

Also quite interesting to see how he (like other players) and his family are returning to South Africa (with all its problems) rather than stay in Europe

Not sure if he'll be able to stay after his rugby contract ends; I'm not sure how the Visa and residency things work, but is he employable in Europe after rugby? Does he have any skills that he can use there to qualify to stay?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
jos wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Another site says June

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/frans-steyn-to-return-to-bloemfontein-in-2020-20191114

The quality journalism we've come to expect from Media24 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
If he wants to continue his career and play for the Boks then he needs to play for a top team. Either the Cheetahs or Bulls or Lions.

Also quite interesting to see how he (like other players) and his family are returning to South Africa (with all its problems) rather than stay in Europe

Habana, Pienaar, Brits, Vermeulen, Morne Steyn all returned to SA. Joe van Niekerk, however, is currently in Costa Rica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
jos wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Another site says June

Thanks. It's more plausible, as we know it will be his last year with us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm 

Maybe one last swansong of the Lions series for an outgoing LEGEND

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:31 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

Habana, Pienaar, Brits, Vermeulen, Morne Steyn all returned to SA. Joe van Niekerk, however, is currently in Costa Rica

Quite logic in my opinion. I have seen many place around the world which could be a better place than where I live, but ultimately it's the land where I was born and raised, and where I'm the happiest. So it's normal these players chose to come back in their homeland.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm 

Pie City Fichardt Street will be jumping for joy at this news.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Pie City Fichardt Street will be jumping for joy at this news.

As Blades would have put it, they'll be dancing in the streets of Bloemfontein.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm 

Will be nice to see Ruan Pienaar and Frans Steyn playing for Cheetahs. They will make a massive difference

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:25 pm 

Pienaar already is, second top point scorer in the league and Cheetahs have the top and 3rd top try scorer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 am 

Rumour is that Frans wants R4m p.a. but the Cheetahs offer is only R1.8m and they are hoping SARU will help with the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Rumour is that Frans wants R4m p.a. but the Cheetahs offer is only R1.8m and they are hoping SARU will help with the rest.

Lot of money to invest in someone who probably won't be around for the next RWC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am 

handyman wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Lot of money to invest in someone who probably won't be around for the next RWC.

Maybe Sars can help with this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am 

handyman wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Dude...once a player has made it at the Sharks his personal value and marketability increases proportionally