Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 pm 

...for winning the Copa del Rey de Rugby for the first time ever. First time they've been in the final in fact. A great match, full of excitement, won by Brad Linklater's try 10 minutes into injury time:

https://www.facebook.com/alcobendasrugby/videos/2093098460804021/

and the conversion that sealed the game kicked by Alcobendas fly half Tony Jantjies, brother of Elton.

A crowd of something like 12-15,000 (my estimate) created a good atmosphere, with an extra frisson due to the opposition being Barça, and the fact that Madrid-Catalonian relations aren't currently as warm as the beautiful sunshine the match was played in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 pm 

Tony Blair's Therapist wrote:

[b]and the conversion that sealed the game kicked by Alcobendas fly half Tony Jantjies, brother of Elton.

At least one of them has BMT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:13 pm 

BokJock wrote:

[b]and the conversion that sealed the game kicked by Alcobendas fly half Tony Jantjies, brother of Elton.

At least one of them has BMT

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm 

...for winning the Copa del Rey de Rugby for the first time ever. First time they've been in the final in fact. A great match, full of excitement, won by Brad Linklater's try 10 minutes into injury time:

and the conversion that sealed the game kicked by Alcobendas fly half Tony Jantjies, brother of Elton.

A crowd of something like 12-15,000 (my estimate) created a good atmosphere, with an extra frisson due to the opposition being Barça, and the fact that Madrid-Catalonian relations aren't currently as warm as the beautiful sunshine the match was played in.

Cheers! Still feeling a bit rough from the aftermath. Would've been a hell of a choke not to win that. :((

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:55 pm 

The blokes over on T2 are saying 7k. The stadium only has a capacity of 12k.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 am 

might have to get some merch, for the lulz...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:

The blokes over on T2 are saying 7k. The stadium only has a capacity of 12k.

Yeah, there you go with your facts ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 pm 

I've read seven argies played for Alcobendas and Bautista Guemes for Barcelona, former fly half of my club in Argentina.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:46 pm 

julian wrote:
I've read seven argies played for Alcobendas and Bautista Guemes for Barcelona, former fly half of my club in Argentina.

Argentina is a popular source of foreign talent for the Spanish clubs. Most teams have at least a couple on their rosters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
julian wrote:

Argentina is a popular source of foreign talent for the Spanish clubs. Most teams have at least a couple on their rosters.

Indeed, and the reason is that almost of all them don't play as argentinians but with european passports as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:25 pm 

Our starting team was:

1. Argentina
2. Argentina
3. Camerun
4. France
5. Chile
6. Argentina
7. England
8. Spain
9. Spain
10. Soutb Africa
11. Argentina
12. Spain
13. Argentina
14. Fiji
15. New Zealand

Good mix! We've always had a strong tie with clubs in Cordoba, that's our first Argies came from and from then it was just a flow of contacts.

They're certainly the easiest signings for Spanish clubs, it's easy for them to settle in here and will come for a lot less than other nationalities, and many have european passports which also helps. La Vila is almost all Argies, Burgos this year had a huge amount too as did Santander and Ciencias.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:30 pm 

Toro wrote:
Our starting team was:

1. Argentina
2. Argentina
3. Camerun
4. France
5. Chile
6. Argentina
7. England
8. Spain
9. Spain
10. Soutb Africa
11. Argentina
12. Spain
13. Argentina
14. Fiji
15. New Zealand

Good mix! We've always had a strong tie with clubs in Cordoba, that's our first Argies came from and from then it was just a flow of contacts.

They're certainly the easiest signings for Spanish clubs, it's easy for them to settle in here and will come for a lot less than other nationalities, and many have european passports which also helps. La Vila is almost all Argies, Burgos this year had a huge amount too as did Santander and Ciencias.

Espero que estés hablando entonces español correcto!! :lol: y no me refiero al cordobés.

Outstanding mix, a truly global selection!, it must be very very fun those games and trainings isn't it? what language do you speak at games??.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:44 pm 

julian wrote:
Espero que estés hablando entonces español correcto!! :lol: y no me refiero al cordobés.

Outstanding mix, a truly global selection!, it must be very very fun those games and trainings isn't it? what language do you speak at games??.

Siii culiao, en el club se habla de todo pa, y mas con Fernet. ;)

All Spanish in games, everyone is pretty fluent apart from Jantjies who has hardly been in Spain. Lucas the French second rower plays for Spain, Newton (English Flanker) has been here for 10 years, so has Linklater.

Keep your eye on Thierry Feuteu, we brought him into the club about 3 years ago, he got into Spain by rushing the border fences in Melia years back. He's turned into quite a beast a debuted with Spain this year and is trialing right now with Stade Francais.

https://www.revista22.es/2019/04/titi-f ... ais-paris/