Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 256  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 pm 

10,000th post on this thread 8)

How many is the Irish one on?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 pm 

327,728 posts :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 pm 

:lol: :lol: I'm always surprised that the Welsh thread has the least number of posts out of the home nations. Admittedly it is had to have sex and post at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 pm 

Quality over quantity.

Each post in here is a carefully considered, well written masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 pm 

bessantj wrote:
:lol: :lol: I'm always surprised that the Welsh thread has the least number of posts out of the home nations. Admittedly it is had to have sex and post at the same time.

Not when you’re receiving :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 am 

MaccTaff wrote:
bessantj wrote:

I wonder if that's the reason Jake got made Admin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 am 

bessantj wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
bessantj wrote:

I wonder if that's the reason Jake got made Admin.

Brave man!!

Still I don’t think he visits this thread regularly :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 am 

New guy wrote:
Quality over quantity.

Yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 am 

New guy wrote:
Quality over quantity.

Exactly. A classic post on 1 of the other nations thread was and I adlib....."Has anyone's power just gone off?"

Something we can only aspire to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am 

Pretty disappointing to lose, but mirroring what Jiffy and Gwyn were saying yesterday, it's great to be talking about such strength around selection...able to bring in North, Williams, 1/2p (they didn't even mention Amos who was outstanding on Friday, and was in the AIs), Faletau or Moriarty.

I thought the forwards were immense - they basically held their own in the arm wrestle, and were let down both by our kicking and our positioning for their kicks early on. Ireland will be a similar challenge so let's hope they can do it again.

In the backs, Gareth Davies looked bogged down at 9. He's such a good fast paced 9 in a high tempo game, that it's odd that he gets so slow when it is a slower game. He couldn't inject pace, and I thought Aled Davies was better at the basics when he came on (admittedly later in the game when we had some momentum). Patchell's kicking was poor, as was Anscombe's, so perhaps in part what they were told to do? I still think he's worth persevering with, but if he gets dropped it would be no surprise.

I've never been convinced that North should play 13, but with Scott Williams playing well, but without anything to suggest he's a long term option at 13, I'm starting to think that might be a way to get our best players on the park. North 13, Liam Williams, Steff Evans and 1/2p as the back 3. More pace, more invention, plus our goal kicker...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am 

Also just watched the highlights of the Bristol game and Rhodri Williams looked sharp, but Jordan Williams was exceptional - can't wait for those two to arrive next season. Great signings for the Dragons. Hewitt, Amos and Jordan Williams will put some fear into defences...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 am 

penguin wrote:
Also just watched the highlights of the Bristol game and Rhodri Williams looked sharp, but Jordan Williams was exceptional - can't wait for those two to arrive next season. Great signings for the Dragons. Hewitt, Amos and Jordan Williams will put some fear into defences...

Im looking forward to seeing what Rhodri Williams can do at the Dragons next season - he's been playing really well for Bristol by all accounts - so from September we'll (hopefully) have Aled Davies starting for the Ospreys, Davies for the Scarlets, Tomos Williams at the Blues and Rhodri Williams at the Dragons :thumbup:

I'm not convinced that Gareth Davies possesses the all-round game to nail down the Wales 9 shirt long term - so it will be interesting to see if anyone else can stake a claim before 2019 (assuming Webb is out of contention).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am 

P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:

Im looking forward to seeing what Rhodri Williams can do at the Dragons next season - he's been playing really well for Bristol by all accounts - so from September we'll (hopefully) have Aled Davies starting for the Ospreys, Davies for the Scarlets, Tomos Williams at the Blues and Rhodri Williams at the Dragons :thumbup:

I'm not convinced that Gareth Davies possesses the all-round game to nail down the Wales 9 shirt long term - so it will be interesting to see if anyone else can stake a claim before 2019 (assuming Webb is out of contention).

He's a super sub - while I think they should be trying to work on his game management, as we might need him to start from time to time - the impact he can bring in the last part of a game is still massively valuable.

I really like Tomos Williams - has that bit of x factor, but seems to have a good all round game. I want to see him tested out at some point soon. If we lose to Ireland and are basically out of the title race I'd like to see him given some time against France and Italy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am 

Dragons played well against Glasgow, all things considered.

There is a very real danger we could be a mid league team next year so watch out!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am 

100MileDad wrote:
Dragons played well against Glasgow, all things considered.

There is a very real danger we could be a mid league team next year so watch out!

Get the oxygen tanks out - heady heights ahead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 am 

I have an awful feeling we'll be close to qualifying for the HEC next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

I still feel like we need to sign a couple more front 5 players before I get confident of those giddy heights...what would the first choice front 5 be next season? Brok Harris, Elliot Dee/Richard Hibbard, Leon Brown, Cory Hill, Huw Taylor? I like the youngsters coming through at lock, Joe Davies and Max Williams, but we'll need Taylor to prove to be better than average to kick on in terms of lock competition. Hooker looks good, even 3rd choice for next season will be good in Belcher looking at his recent form. Ellis might prove to be a decent backup at loosehead, behind Hobbs and Harris, but it remains to be seen. There's still a sense we have solid options and relative depth (compared to previous years) in terms of props and locks, rather than anything that is going to take us up a level. I'm hopeful but just need a couple more signings I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

Lets let some sanity in for a moment. It would be nice if the Dragons can just win the vast majority of their home games next season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm 

One of my favourite performances on Saturday actually came from Samsung Lee. While he was a bit quieter than normal in the loose, he absolutely had Vunipola and Hartley on toast in the scrum. The officials didn't seem to mind him setting off at 45deg to the angle of the drive, and several times he managed to get both on the back foot and pop Hartley out of the top.
Even though England don't have anything like the strongest scrummaging 1/2 in the Tier 1, it was great to see Lee putting himself about in the scrum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
One of my favourite performances on Saturday actually came from Samsung Lee. While he was a bit quieter than normal in the loose, he absolutely had Vunipola and Hartley on toast in the scrum. The officials didn't seem to mind him setting off at 45deg to the angle of the drive, and several times he managed to get both on the back foot and pop Hartley out of the top.
Even though England don't have anything like the strongest scrummaging 1/2 in the Tier 1, it was great to see Lee putting himself about in the scrum.

5 carries for 10 metres, 2 passes, 15 tackles (with 2 missed)...I'd say he's getting through a lot of work in the loose for him. But his scrummaging was pleasing - I thought on a couple of occasions we could have got more out of Garces.

Actually if you go through the tackling stats - Navidi 21, Shingler 15, Alun Wyn 15, Moriarty 16, Owens 13 (1 missed), Rob Evans 18, Hill 17, Dee 9, Wyn Jones 8, Francis 7, Tipuric 5...that is an unbelievably good spread of tackling across the pack and bench...with only 3 missed among the lot of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm 

penguin wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

5 carries for 10 metres, 2 passes, 15 tackles (with 2 missed)...I'd say he's getting through a lot of work in the loose for him. But his scrummaging was pleasing - I thought on a couple of occasions we could have got more out of Garces.

Actually if you go through the tackling stats - Navidi 21, Shingler 15, Alun Wyn 15, Moriarty 16, Owens 13 (1 missed), Rob Evans 18, Hill 17, Dee 9, Wyn Jones 8, Francis 7, Tipuric 5...that is an unbelievably good spread of tackling across the pack and bench...with only 3 missed among the lot of them.

I'd agree with that on the whole, but 5 touches of the ball in a game is a pretty poor return from someone who has shown much more this season so far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 pm 

Fully expect Dragons to challenge for play offs next year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
penguin wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

I'd agree with that on the whole, but 5 touches of the ball in a game is a pretty poor return from someone who has shown much more this season so far.

Yeah, I guess. Rob Evans 6 carries, 3 passes. Cory Hill 7 carries, 6 passes. Ken Owens 9 carries, 3 passes. Alun Wyn 11 and 7. Tough day for all of the front 5 in possession.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 pm 

Do we agree Shingler has been 1 outstanding performer? btw where is Henry?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm 

Frodder wrote:

Our best player of the 6N for me. He has locked in the #6 position if he keeps up the form. Same as Faletau at #8. Warbs I think will be #7 when he returns. With Moriarty, Navidi and Tips as very able backups.

Would really like to see Seb Davies progress the next 12 months. Been impressed with Cory Hill.

We also need another TH. Lee is good, Tomos not bad, but a quality 3rd option - hopefully Leon Brown will progress. Hooker and LH positions are solid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Our best player of the 6N for me. He has locked in the #6 position if he keeps up the form. Same as Faletau at #8. Warbs I think will be #7 when he returns. With Moriarty, Navidi and Tips as very able backups.

Would really like to see Seb Davies progress the next 12 months. Been impressed with Cory Hill.

We also need another TH. Lee is good, Tomos not bad, but a quality 3rd option - hopefully Leon Brown will progress. Hooker and LH positions are solid.

That back up back row is nuts Lando

As is a back up back 3 of Liam, North and Amos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 pm 

penguin wrote:
Pretty disappointing to lose, but mirroring what Jiffy and Gwyn were saying yesterday, it's great to be talking about such strength around selection...able to bring in North, Williams, 1/2p (they didn't even mention Amos who was outstanding on Friday, and was in the AIs), Faletau or Moriarty.

I thought the forwards were immense - they basically held their own in the arm wrestle, and were let down both by our kicking and our positioning for their kicks early on. Ireland will be a similar challenge so let's hope they can do it again.

In the backs, Gareth Davies looked bogged down at 9. He's such a good fast paced 9 in a high tempo game, that it's odd that he gets so slow when it is a slower game. He couldn't inject pace, and I thought Aled Davies was better at the basics when he came on (admittedly later in the game when we had some momentum). Patchell's kicking was poor, as was Anscombe's, so perhaps in part what they were told to do? I still think he's worth persevering with, but if he gets dropped it would be no surprise.

I've never been convinced that North should play 13, but with Scott Williams playing well, but without anything to suggest he's a long term option at 13, I'm starting to think that might be a way to get our best players on the park. North 13, Liam Williams, Steff Evans and 1/2p as the back 3. More pace, more invention, plus our goal kicker...

My issue with North, amongst other as a 13, is that he just doesn't have any vision. One of the most disappointing parts of the weekend was when he went on a storming run up the wing, bust a couple of tackles, and just when he should have passed to the two support players...he took contect for a 3rd time.

And it wasn't as if he ignored them...I'm pretty sure he had no idea they were there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
penguin wrote:

My issue with North, amongst other as a 13, is that he just doesn't have any vision. One of the most disappointing parts of the weekend was when he went on a storming run up the wing, bust a couple of tackles, and just when he should have passed to the two support players...he took contect for a 3rd time.

And it wasn't as if he ignored them...I'm pretty sure he had no idea they were there.

Agreed. His distribution as a 13 is poor, but he's got dynamism with ball-in-hand that none of our other fit centres offer. It's always going to be a compromise, no matter who we choose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
penguin wrote:

Agreed. His distribution as a 13 is poor, but he's got dynamism with ball-in-hand that none of our other fit centres offer. It's always going to be a compromise, no matter who we choose.

Have to recall Jamie Roberts then. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

Good interview with the breadman on WOL. Crazy how he was able to just compete during the last couple of years. Let's hope he really can put his injuries behind him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

Cuthbert out, needs surgery. I wish him a speedy recovery that will help him get a new contract for next season. No mention of a replacement called up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm 

NDC Extension for JAKE BALL, JON DAVIES & a new NDC for GARETH DAVIES.

:D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D :nod: :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm 

I think Amos is now fit enough to be in the Squad for the trip to Mickataria.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

I'd have thought he was back down the pecking order - can't see them changing both wingers, and you'd expect to see 1/2p back at 15...so Steff Evans, North (probably) and 1/2p with Liam on the bench. Can't see Amos getting in, although he did look sharp last Friday. Good option to have up our sleeve...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm 

penguin wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

I'd have thought he was back down the pecking order - can't see them changing both wingers, and you'd expect to see 1/2p back at 15...so Steff Evans, North (probably) and 1/2p with Liam on the bench. Can't see Amos getting in, although he did look sharp last Friday. Good option to have up our sleeve...

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather he was playing for us this Sunday but Cuthbert is out now so he may get called up to the squad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
penguin wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather he was playing for us this Sunday but Cuthbert is out now so he may get called up to the squad.

He was already in the squad wasn't he...then got released back? I think we'll see that again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 pm 

Amos to bench for me. Excellent winger and covers full back. Adams to drop out all together. Liam to FB.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm 

Clive Simms wrote:
Amos to bench for me. Excellent winger and covers full back. Adams to drop out all together. Liam to FB.

Adams was out of position for the first try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm 

Amos was excellent in the AIs I hope gets back to that level :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 pm 

c69 wrote:
Amos was excellent in the AIs I hope gets back to that level :thumbup:

He was really good for the Dragons v Glasgow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 256  Next